HEARTS MAKE MOVE FOR PORTER / McGhee (merged threads)

slfjambo

Technically we don't need to approach Motherwell We can speak directly to Porter and agree terms with him now without ever needing to speak to them. I think it is more out of courtesy than anything else that Csaba is speaking to Motherwell, unless he is hoping that we may be able to get him this month instead of waiting till the summer. Definately sounds like we are going for him now as apposed to just media speculation.

Csaba could be putting in place the makings of a really good team if we sign the players were being linked with so far, and still a very young team as well.

Black

Porter

Barr

Arfield

Shows how good Csaba is IMO.

Makes me annoyed when I think of the money we've spent on guys like Beslija, Pinilla & Makela when we could have gotten guys like the above who would have contributed hugely.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt the BBC knows more than what we all read in the Express this morning?

Why would we need to approach Motherwell if we want to sign him when he's out of contract in the summer?

No, what the BBC has said is that we have made contact.

Shows how good Csaba is IMO.

Makes me annoyed when I think of the money we've spent on guys like Beslija, Pinilla & Makela when we could have gotten guys like the above who would have contributed hugely.

No arguments here about that statement. Think the fact were looking and making moves for these players should be the final proof for anyone that still wasn't convinced, that the mad one is keeping his sticky little fingers out. Thats made a huge difference having a manager that is allowed to get on with the job, spot his own players he wants and actually being allowed to try and sign those players. The ones you mention and many more were forced upon previous managers.

I think this shows we're serious.

That is the point I was trying to make. Why would we even bother contacting motherwell if we had no intention of making this happen. Also it would be extremely foolish to approach them if Porter does not want to join us.

Its the right first step policy.

Buy the best of the res of the SPL.

Its what the OF have been doing to us to keep 1st and 2nd.

Its a legitemate policy to do this to keep 3rd.

No, what the BBC has said is that we have made contact.

What does our reported intention to sign him in the summer have to do with Motherwell?

What does our reported intention to sign him in the summer have to do with Motherwell?

I was thinking about that as well.

It might have something to do with Csaba showing Motherwell some respect, he seems to be very big on that. Maybe, because he is still a contracted player, he's being respectful and asking his club for their permission to speak to their player.

Just a guess though.

Or maybe it's because we have him signed already and Hearts want to know what it would cost to get him now?

But if he had signed a pre-contract agreement, we would have made that public, no?

Like we did with Ian Black?

Not being awkward here, just trying to get to the credibility of the piece on the BBC website. Something about it isn't quite right.

siegementality
I was thinking about that as well.

It might have something to do with Csaba showing Motherwell some respect, he seems to be very big on that. Maybe, because he is still a contracted player, he's being respectful and asking his club for their permission to speak to their player.

Just a guess though.

It's because Csaba put Motherwells nose out of joint when he first talked about wanting Porter (sometime in early December). They found that dis-respectful as he was contracted to them and not (at that time) free to speak to other clubs. Csaba is attempting to build bridges, nothing wrong with that.

siegementality
But if he had signed a pre-contract agreement, we would have made that public, no?

Like we did with Ian Black?

Not being awkward here, just trying to get to the credibility of the piece on the BBC website. Something about it isn't quite right.

You're right, some people like to get all excited at the thought that we've already signed Porter, if we had I think we'd all know by now.

Hopefully we have spoken to Porter and he has said he could\would be interested, then we have had the approval from Mad Vlad to spend to get him now rather than wait till the summer.

Wishful thinking I know but hey ho

Or maybe it's David Obua phoning up with crank calls where he uses words such as "shizzle", "dawg" and "illin" to confound the Motherwell switchboard operator.

Shup yo face playa.

"We are a club that might have to sell so if they want him, come and get him."

McGhee added: "I still hold out hope that Porter won't want to go to Hearts.

"I'm not saying that's the case; Hearts are a great club and I could understand if he said that he did want to go there.

"But I'm hoping that he won't. I haven't chatted to him and I won't until something changes."

Being key imo.

McGhee added: "I still hold out hope that Porter won't want to go to Hearts.

"I'm not saying that's the case; Hearts are a great club and I could understand if he said that he did want to go there.

I thought he said he didn't think Porter would want to join us ?

I thought he said he didn't think Porter would want to join us ?

What I heard on the radio was 'he'd be a braver man than me' and 'I doubt he'll be losing any sleep over the thought'

He sounds resigned to defeat.

Well he is. He's not going to be a Motherwell player next season.

Whether he becomes a Hearts player remains to be seen.

Ooh McGhee's getting ants in his pants.

Come and get him, Hearts - McGhee

What 'games' are we playing? As others have stated, we owe motherwell nowt here, we are perfectly entitled to do our business without tellin them jack. I actually heard that mcghee is willing to let porter join us now.....but only if mcghee can come too ha ha!

Not going to happen...getting our hopes up as usual.

Will only end up in disappointment,and on the last day of Jan when we haven`t signed a new striker the statement will be..."oh we did try to sign Porter"

Ooh McGhee's getting ants in his pants.

Come and get him, Hearts - McGhee

What 'games' are we playing? As others have stated, we owe motherwell nowt here, we are perfectly entitled to do our business without tellin them jack. I actually heard that mcghee is willing to let porter join us now.....but only if mcghee can come too ha ha!

What I heard on the radio was 'he'd be a braver man than me' and 'I doubt he'll be losing any sleep over the thought'

Seems a bit of a turn around from MM.

mcghee can go and donald duck himself.

can't see porter coming to be honest. i think he will wait to see what offers he gets from english clubs on a pre-contract agreement basis.

also, we don't want players who aren't fully committed to the club.

Not going to happen...getting our hopes up as usual.

Will only end up in disappointment,and on the last day of Jan when we haven`t signed a new striker the statement will be..."oh we did try to sign Porter"

I suppose we'll never know if that was all just total BS ?

However I think there is much more honesty about the day to day goings on at Tynie. The club will also be well aware that gates have dropped hugely and if they even appeared to be taking the 'Lillian Gish' in such a fashion then I'm sure the fans would let them know in no uncertain terms :D

I still can't see it happening but it may depend on who comes in for Porter. If a Championship team goes for him, then I think he'll go there but if it's no bigger than Huddersfield, then we'll have a good shot.

We are going to free up a good chunk of wages in the summer with players out of contract, so for once we might as well dive in and get the players we want for the summer without scrambling around at the last minute next August.

As are we apparently.

Tbh if the lad fancies Huddersfield over us then they're welcome to him. Not got much ambition.

Agree , although i hope we still manage to seal the deal.

Just dont think Hearts will offer more than 200k for a player who only has 6 months left on his contract.

He can sign for us now for nothing, nought, feck all, nada, plums, 0, duck egg etc etc etc

We should make a bid based on the fact he doesn't get cup tied. If he does, might as well get him on a bosman in the summer like Black or offer Well a sum around ?50k.

Charlie-Brown

Why would Huddersfield offer ?200K for him at all? - if they want him & he's happy with their terms then he could sign for them and let Huddersfield & Monkeywell haggle over a price for early release?

Charlie-Brown

Nobody is gonna bid for him up front - why would they when they don't have to? You'd be in a much stronger bargaining position with him already signed up - this story is very convenient timing for Boyle & McGhee in my opinion.

If Huddersfield and ourselves are the only two teams in for him then it should be a no brainer.

I agree. Huddersfield will probably pay higher wages to him I imagine.

on the other hand,edinburgh is one of the best cities in the world,where as huddersfield is not. maybe if he has children that might be a deciding factor.

markletissier

pathetic really that one of the better teams in scotland are struggling to beat a lower league english side to a signature.

on the other hand,edinburgh is one of the best cities in the world,where as huddersfield is not. maybe if he has children that might be a deciding factor.

He can always live somewhere nice in Yorkshire. Generally money counts most in the short career of a professional footballer.

Well we appear to have sent a fax to Motherwell. Looks like we're trying to sign him, then buy him, rather than just buy him.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Hearts-make-interest-in-Porter.4883296.jp

Get yer fax oot for the vlad:)

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hearts-make-interest-in-Porter.4883296.jp

The reason for the ?200,00 figure is a clause in his contract which states he can leave for that amount during this window.

He signed a 2 year deal with 'well meaning he got a large signing on fee and 'well can now recoup that or lose him for nothing in the summer.

If we really want him, we have to get this tied up before Motherwell play in the Scottish Cup next week and meaning he would be cup tied.

He's quoted in today's Daily ****** as saying;

"They're (Hearts) a bigger club than Motherwell in the sense that they've got a larger fan base."

What a ******. Just fan base eh? What about trophy history, league positions, european adventures?

I am so glad we did not get this rheptile as manager.

FMM! :mad:

Archived