HEARTS MAKE MOVE FOR PORTER / McGhee (merged threads)

slfjambo

Thursday January 15,2009

By Jim McLean

Hearts are to make an official approach to Motherwell to speak to goal ace Chris Porter within the next twenty four hours.

The Edinburgh side see the 25-year-old hitman as the ideal answer to a lack of goal power that has hampered their progress this season.

Express Sport can reveal that Hearts have decided to talk to Motherwell first to bring their plans into the open other than talk directly to the player.

Porter, signed by the the Lanarkshire side from Oldham Athletic, is out of contract in the summer and has made it clear that his first choice would be to return to play south of the border.

However, Hearts are refusing to give up their interest, despite causing a rammy when they first revealed their interest.

Hearts boss Csaba Laszlo identified Porter as a target just before the two clubs met in a rearranged premier league game at Fir Park and sparked off a furious reaction from Motherwell boss Mark McGhee.

However, Porter had the last laugh as far as McGhee was concerned for the hit man delivered the goal that earned victory for the Fir Parkers.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would be good, but I have a niggling feeling we'll just lose out at midnight on the 31st Jan.

Again.

Csaba is making all the right moves and seems to be targeting decent proven spl players. However old habits die hard and I don't see VR changing much. We will likely lose 1 or 2 on the last week/days of the transfer window and it will be too late to do anything about replacing them.

paper talk = bull****. Not saying it wont happen, but it doesnt change the fact that the papers write a load of **** regarding hearts, so i'll take this with the same pinch of salt i do when they have a negative story on us!

paper talk = bull****. Not saying it wont happen, but it doesnt change the fact that the papers write a load of **** regarding hearts, so i'll take this with the same pinch of salt i do when they have a negative story on us!

Share your doubts, but Jim McLean (the reporter) has some great sources around the SPL that he doesn't share and there probably is some truth in this.

However we will not sign anyone this month until someone goes out the door.

These transfer windows promise much but deliver little.

I'll see y'all Feb 1st.

Buffalo Bill

Why have they left it until now to make an approach? Would have been good (for once) to back up the talk with actions and begin the transfer window on the front foot. Would be surprised if this happened, more likely the Kaunarse no.9 will arrive late into the night on the 31st :rolleyes:

The Black, Ksnavicius and this one (if genuine) are all good and positive signs that someone is becoming more sensible about the squad and the SPL.:)

Guest GhostHunter
Why have they left it until now to make an approach? Would have been good (for once) to back up the talk with actions and begin the transfer window on the front foot. Would be surprised if this happened, more likely the Kaunarse no.9 will arrive late into the night on the 31st :rolleyes:

Ho Ho Ho

:mw_rolleyes:

You have the powers of Mystic Meg........and will be proved right on 1st Feb 09, guaranteed.

Can't see us getting Porter tbh. Would love him to sign i think he's the answer to our striker problems, at 25 he does want to go back down south so I wouldn't think even if we did get him it wouldnt be a long contract. I just hope Csaba is ready with another option should this fall through, (And not the Kaunas number 9.)

I'll see y'all Feb 1st.

Buffalo Bill

You'd be better waiting until after 2nd Feb when window closes.

To be fair it's been reported outside of the papers as well. I'm sure it was mentioned on the BBC's online highlights of the Motherwell - Hearts match too.

Not saying I take everything reported by the BBC as gold but they are generally more trustworthy than the papers....

Guest GhostHunter
To be fair it's been reported outside of the papers as well. I'm sure it was mentioned on the BBC's online highlights of the Motherwell - Hearts match too.

Not saying I take everything reported by the BBC as gold but they are generally more trustworthy than the papers....

Chick Dung.

Case closed.

Optimus Prime

Don't why Hearts just sign the lad on a pre contract. Doing this will immediatley cut Motherwells bargaining power in terms of a fee for taking him in this window.

Pre contract and offer Motherwell 50k to take him now. Job done.

I never get up nor down, until something is fact. Paper talk and internet speculation mean nothing at all.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
Isn't it the 6th...?

The window shuts at 5 p.m on Monday 2nd Feb. Extended this time because the deadline would fall on a Saturdayand the SFA have decided (along with most country's associations) to let the clubs concentrate on weekend fixtures.

Thats all

Don't why Hearts just sign the lad on a pre contract. Doing this will immediatley cut Motherwells bargaining power in terms of a fee for taking him in this window.

Pre contract and offer Motherwell 50k to take him now. Job done.

Who says he'd want to sign for us? I don't think he will want to.

:o

While I dont doubt the rerporter's credability, it's hard to take the story seriously when it features zero quotes from any party involved.

To be honest its a story that me or you could've written.

Would like to see him at Tynie tho (Porter not the reporter)

Nelly Terraces

I'll see y'all Feb 1st.

Buffalo Bill

Chinese New Year?:mw_rolleyes:

Woo, I'm gonna party like it's 2008!:D

Optimus Prime
Who says he'd want to sign for us? I don't think he will want to.

:o

There is only one way to find out, if he doesn't want to sign then it's dead regardless of transfer fee.

Doesn't alter the fact that it would be a better way of doing things (from a Hearts perspective) if a deal is on.

There is only one way to find out, if he doesn't want to sign then it's dead regardless of transfer fee.

Doesn't alter the fact that it would be a better way of doing things (from a Hearts perspective) if a deal is on.

Fair point mate. :)

One thing struck me about the whole Porter thing, he never once commented about our reported interest.

Not one "I want to go to England" not one "A move to Hearts would not suit me" not even one "I have always admired R@ng*rs/C*lt!c/Strachan/Smith".

I think if we were to make a serious bid, with a serious wage increase (serious, not silly) he would consider it.

The Future's Maroon
You'd be better waiting until after 2nd Feb when window closes.
Source? :mw_rolleyes:

Express Sport can reveal that Hearts have decided to talk to Motherwell first to bring their plans into the open other than talk directly to the player.

Feck Motherwell and that wee scrote McGhee - Hearts should just speak to his agent directly.

Chad Sexington
I'm sure Porter said he'd 'have to consider every offer seriously'.

I reckon he'd come if the cash was right.

As has been said already, the silence from Porter over this affair has been deafening. He could have squashed all the speculation at birth with a simple "not interested".

I would have thought we would need to empty someone before we can start bidding for anyone though.

Chad Sexington
This transfer window does not close til 5pm Monday 2nd feb, maybe we'll see who and who has not joined us by then.

Oh sorry. I thought this was a football forum for discussion about all things Hearts. My mistake.

Right guys pack it up.

No more speculation, by order of jam80's.

:rolleyes:

Source? :mw_rolleyes:

All over the press as deadline Saturday does not suit lazy SFA officials who prefer to have the Saturday away from their desks watching Rangers or Celtic.

Extended to 5pm (not midnight) on Monday 2/2/09 in common with many other national associations.

Given that his eighteen month experience of Scotland has been centred on North Lanarkshire I'm not surprised that he wants to move back to England.

Although McGhee has been quick to tell the world, that he'd have to be 'a braver man than me' to join Hearts, and that he doubts Porter is 'losing any sleep' over the thought.

I expect him to be on sweeties at Motherwell, I think if we made an offer it would certainly cause food for thought.

Hearts are about as good as it's going to get for Porter up here.

Brick Tamland
Although McGhee has been quick to tell the world, that he'd have to be 'a braver man than me' to join Hearts, and that he doubts Porter is 'losing any sleep' over the thought.

I expect him to be on sweeties at Motherwell, I think if we made an offer it would certainly cause food for thought.

Hearts are about as good as it's going to get for Porter up here.

Or he could get a dream move to the OF and warm the bench for a couple of years and then go on loan to Norwich, derby, Blackpool, Crewe etc... you have to remember the OF don't like any other team in the SPL signing the best players from the weaker teams..

unless our intention is to sign him on a pre contract, it seems a bit stupid to wait until he's cup tied to start proccedings

unless our intention is to sign him on a pre contract, it seems a bit stupid to wait until he's cup tied to start proccedings

He's not cup-tied yet though. ;)

Maybe it is just me but am I wrong to assume we would have sounded this guy out before approaching motherwell ? I mean why even bother if he is not interested as MM would have us believe ?

I would love it Keegan style if we signed him.

Generally, I would agree with you. However, our pursuit of Ratboy even though he stated regularly that he would not consider coming here flies in the face of that. That and our previous vermin targets.

I too would love it if he signs, he is far better suited to playing on his own than Nade. However, Porter and Glen has the makings of a great strike force IMO.

Generally, I would agree with you. However, our pursuit of Ratboy even though he stated regularly that he would not consider coming here flies in the face of that. That and our previous vermin targets.

I too would love it if he signs, he is far better suited to playing on his own than Nade. However, Porter and Glen has the makings of a great strike force IMO.

Thought I'd read that Csaba said that the club never seriously moved for the rat. He said that an agent had been sounded out and it wasn't happening as the player was not receptive.

I am not convinced csaba wanted ratarse mate and he certainly did not go public like he has with Porter. I just don't see us approaching motherwell without the nod from Porter.

I am not convinced csaba wanted ratarse mate and he certainly did not go public like he has with Porter. I just don't see us approaching motherwell without the nod from Porter.

Technically we don't need to approach Motherwell We can speak directly to Porter and agree terms with him now without ever needing to speak to them. I think it is more out of courtesy than anything else that Csaba is speaking to Motherwell, unless he is hoping that we may be able to get him this month instead of waiting till the summer. Definately sounds like we are going for him now as apposed to just media speculation.

Csaba could be putting in place the makings of a really good team if we sign the players were being linked with so far, and still a very young team as well.

Black

Porter

Barr

Arfield

Archived