Copil gone / not yet (merged)

CJGJ

great post.

I am worried after the Copil debarkle and to a much smaller extent Branny, that people will think we shouldn't go for overseas players. But they can add a niche to the team. A player that can be brought in for ?100,000 can be sold for ?3m after many good seasons at the club is a great bit of business.

As you and Sparky have pointed out, it is the mental side of football we need look at in these players. Csaba said he wanted to know alot about the player and I am pretty certain this will happen now. Also I think with Csaba, he appears to be a manager who will notice and help out a youngster who may have some problems at the time.

As you say, we still have the Oz contigent of Visconte, Ryan and Dylan McGowen who all look to be potentially great for hearts. We have the Slovenian Rapnik, the Icelandic Eggy, the Austrian Wagner, the Lithuanian Novikovas, the American Robert Adam all overseas players that have made the move over to Scotland for Hearts and are either currently being raised or have been through the youth.

Though I want a brazilian in our youths:D

Completely unsubstantiated and based on rumours posted here, but I was under the impression that he may have attitude problems also. Is there anything in that or is it horse pooh?

As for Brazilians, Dunfermline had Sergio Duarte, he was proof that not everything Brazilian is golden! :) I did quite like the United player Sergio, he had a decent haircut but he did score against us in the cup IIRC.

It would appear the EN (Not or the first time) Has it's story wrong

Meanwhile, Romanian teenager Dumitru Copil has left Hearts after failing to settle in Edinburgh. The 18-year-old was dubbed the new Gheorghe Hagi before Hearts beat a host of teams, including Celtic, to land his signature a little over two years ago.

Copil went AWOL at the start of 2008 after becoming frustrated at a lack of first-team opportunities, but he was coaxed back not long after. His two-year deal with Hearts expired last week, but the club were unable to persuade him to take up the option of a new five-year contract. The youngster has headed back to his homeland.

Yet on the official site this is the latest

Hearts today revealed that U19 midfielder Dumitru Copil has indicated his desire to leave the Tynecastle club and has presently returned to his home in Romania.

The player, however, remains under contract until 31st January 2010.

Whilst Hearts is prepared to allow the 18-year-old to leave Edinburgh, given the player's status under contract a transfer fee would be required

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1520931,00.html

I think that is something people have to remember. I admit I hyped copil up and probably can make some players a bit better then they may be (though not much exaggeration) but I know that some players will never hit that potential. They will fall by the wayside, get injuries that ruin their chances.

The problem for Copil and Branny is that they were hyped to the max. Sometimes I feel that if Copil hadn't had a trial at Celtic than he wouldn't of been built up as much, though the EEN and the Hearts website did not help either. That caused a chain reaction where people (like me I am sad to say) used that basis to say he was going to be amazing.

I think in the future we all need to be restrained when a highly rated youngster comes and wait until the player plays before we build him up.

I primarily blame the club for the overhyping - big fanfares on the website for signing 15 and 16 year olds, including youth players in the official transfer signing numbers for each window

As far as I am concerned youth signings should by and large be an inhouse scenario as part of the nurturing process

People arguing until they are blue in the face on another thread that Glen shouldnt be played otherwise he'll think he has made it

So what do big fanfares on the website do to the head of a 15 or 16 year old?

They were far too lauded by the club at far too early an age - it was Romanov trying to buy good publicity when there was mostly only bad around.

Charlie-Brown
I primarily blame the club for the overhyping - big fanfares on the website for signing 15 and 16 year olds, including youth players in the official transfer signing numbers for each window

As far as I am concerned youth signings should by and large be an inhouse scenario as part of the nurturing process

People arguing until they are blue in the face on another thread that Glen shouldnt be played otherwise he'll think he has made it

So what do big fanfares on the website do to the head of a 15 or 16 year old?

They were far too lauded by the club at far too early an age - it was Romanov trying to buy good publicity when there was mostly only bad around.

A similar thing happened several years ago in the early 1990's with Tommy Harrison & Podraig Moran who at that time were big signing coups for the club in terms of fighting off major clubs like Manchester Utd etc to capture their signings and there was articles in the program and EEN / Pink News etc.....but those kids despite the fanfare failed to make it whilst under the radar kids like Allan Johnston, Paul Ritchie, Gary Locke etc who quietly worked their way up through Hearts youth ranks made a much more lasting impact & had decent football careers.

Charlie-Brown
Disappointing news.

Does anyone know what age Jonnson came to the club?

Eggert Jonsson was 16 or 17 when he first arrived.

Aye good riddance the guy was a big heeded fud and a prime example of a young player with ideas above his station :plane:

Eggert had Hjalmar and Harry here too remember.

Yep

I cannot greet this as great news. The club took a punt and invested in a youngster who was highly rated and it didn?t work out. I cannot celebrate that.

I?m not petty enough to bother about a few grand being spent on a footballer. We?ve seen plenty of players take money but give little back to the club. Why does this kid garner such antipathy?

I suspect that many of the posters on here who are most vitriolic towards Copil and Kostadinov, have never lived in a foreign country, and some perhaps still live with their parents and are waiting for their mums to call that "dinner is ready" as they tap away angrily at their keyboards lamenting the failure of the "wonderkids" to fulfill THEIR fantasies...

A similar thing happened several years ago in the early 1990's with Tommy Harrison & Podraig Moran who at that time were big signing coups for the club in terms of fighting off major clubs like Manchester Utd etc to capture their signings and there was articles in the program and EEN / Pink News etc.....but those kids despite the fanfare failed to make it whilst under the radar kids like Allan Johnston, Paul Ritchie, Gary Locke etc who quietly worked their way up through Hearts youth ranks made a much more lasting impact & had decent football careers.

I remember the same thing happening when we signed a young guy called Michael Cameron in the mid to late 90's, big bit in the EEN and nothing was ever heard of him after that.

Did see him one summer at the Norrie McCathie youth tournie in Dunfermline a wee while aftewards and came across as an arrogant billy big time having a go at young fans watching the game cos they were too slow getting the ball when it was out of play

Yep

I cannot greet this as great news. The club took a punt and invested in a youngster who was highly rated and it didn?t work out. I cannot celebrate that.

I?m not petty enough to bother about a few grand being spent on a footballer. We?ve seen plenty of players take money but give little back to the club. Why does this kid garner such antipathy?

I suspect that many of the posters on here who are most vitriolic towards Copil and Kostadinov, have never lived in a foreign country, and some perhaps still live with their parents and are waiting for their mums to call that "dinner is ready" as they tap away angrily at their keyboards lamenting the failure of the "wonderkids" to fulfill THEIR fantasies...

I think their attitudes are the main issue

Copil joined this club for 150k, he then since earned a wage that a lot of people on here in there prime struggle to earn, we brought his family over, put them up, there was nothing else we could have done. Copils attitude stunk all the time and this cumulated in him doing a runner and coming back simply so he could rob us a bit more, if copil had turned round and said I wont come back and wanted sold then fair enough, but he came back for a few months simply to bleed us dry more.

Frankly Im glad we will hold his registration until we get a fee

Its also noting he is 18, he isnt 5, there are plenty of people his age who have to live in the real world.

As for branny, probably the fact he seems to think he is better than the club and constantly used his brother to moan and refused a loan spell all the while not noticing the fact he was crap which was the real reason and not politics

Will be brillant that we will hopefully soon have both there adverse attitudes away from the club

I remember the same thing happening when we signed a young guy called Michael Cameron in the mid to late 90's, big bit in the EEN and nothing was ever heard of him after that.

Did see him one summer at the Norrie McCathie youth tournie in Dunfermline a wee while aftewards and came across as an arrogant billy big time having a go at young fans watching the game cos they were too slow getting the ball when it was out of play

Totally off topic but that really gets on my Bristol Cities when I see players 'dissing' the paying fans like that :mad:

Anyway, Copil's situation was possibly a worse case scenario if you are talking about players integrating. Chap comes from a right rural background IIRC and he's probably suffered the worst culture shock of any. Eggy will have English as a 2nd language anyway .....as will the McGowans :laugh:....and a not entirely dissimilar lifestyle I imagine ( ditto the Aussies )

At the end of the day it was a gamble and it hasn't worked out. Mind you, I still think we are right to look at those markets as the basic skill level of these guys is something we are just not producing back home ( due to the weather etc etc :blah: )

We should just sign Western Europeans or young guys from the colonies.

They are more .............. you know.

Hope I don't sound racist here, that's not right because I have a friend

called " Sooty ! "

I think their attitudes are the main issue

Copil joined this club for 150k, he then since earned a wage that a lot of people on here in there prime struggle to earn, we brought his family over, put them up, there was nothing else we could have done. Copils attitude stunk all the time and this cumulated in him doing a runner and coming back simply so he could rob us a bit more, if copil had turned round and said I wont come back and wanted sold then fair enough, but he came back for a few months simply to bleed us dry more.

Frankly Im glad we will hold his registration until we get a fee

Its also noting he is 18, he isnt 5, there are plenty of people his age who have to live in the real world.

As for branny, probably the fact he seems to think he is better than the club and constantly used his brother to moan and refused a loan spell all the while not noticing the fact he was crap which was the real reason and not politics

Will be brillant that we will hopefully soon have both there adverse attitudes away from the club

Think your bang on there.Seen a few reserve games last couple of years and neither one impressed me.As for the Bulgarian rejecting the loan move that summed him up.Bye bye both (hopefully)

rudi must stay
so states scotsman -- turned down 5 year deal !!!

not great news. copil will probably have a great career playing for some big clubs, he has a lot of talent. His attitude here by all accounts was dreadful though so he was never going to do much :rolleyes:

Archived