St Johnstone Players ?

grumpyespana

Having watched the cup game on free sat last night is there any saints players who caught your eye and could do a job for us, I like the first half displays of Morris & Swankie but they fell away in the second half.

Grumpy.

You started a thread about that trumpet Morris last night and nobody agreed with you.

Give it up;):D:tongue:

there are a lot of good players at this level, for far too long we and other scottish clubs have looked down on players outwith the SPL, Craig levein has proved there are gems at this level ie Gomis Dixon Robertson and the guy Danny Swanson who i beleive will be a big star in the future.

We had lots of success under jefferies when he signed Weir Mccann and Jim Hamilton from first division clubs.

The difference between the SPL and the first division is not as great as many would you believe.

Having watched the cup game on free sat last night is there any saints players who caught your eye and could do a job for us, I like the first half displays of Morris & Swankie but they fell away in the second half.

Grumpy.

Aye,we should try giving that fellow Holmes a wee shot.

wonder if I'll catch a big un.

Charlie-Brown

The right back Garry Irvine looked a good player - although we have a number of options & prospects for that position at present.

Miller Jambo 60
The right back Garry Irvine looked a good player - although we have a number of options & prospects for that position at present.

The own goal was a stoater.:mad:

Charlie-Brown

It was good to see big 'Homer' again, I first saw that kid when he was about 16 in the Hearts youth teams about the same time as Robbie Neilson & Kenny Milne played. :)

Scored a great header against that Icelandic mob in the UEFA. IRRC.

Seen some of Andy Jackson last season, seemed a decent prospect and was mentioned on here at the start of the season, maybe worth keeping an eye on.

Liam Craig, Gary Irvine and Andy Jackson are all very good young players and with the exception of Irvine in areas we need cover/players.

i was largely unimpressed with them. for a team that's doing so well in their division, you would normally expect a couple of crackers. swankey has been mentioned before as a good prospect but he wasn't a standout last night.

the keeper seems like a good prospect for the hobos though.

Professor.Arturo

Swankie was ripping the huns up last night, defo SPL quality. As was said, he did fall away a bit in the second half.

None better than our up and coming youngsters who will be given the chance if good enough, that is the only way to go. I would still like a proven goalscorer now, but no different to thousands of Jambos amd Shabba I am sure.

bilston angel

Its not about watching one game its about doing your homework and watching over a period of time. I assume we have spotters in the lower divisions or do we ?

There are gems to be unearthed as CL has demonstrated and I ask again if anyone knows who does the scouting for Hearts in those leagues.

I've just read a tremendous book about Brian Clough by David Peace ( The Damned Utd ) its part fiction but a great read and recommend it. It underlines the importance of having a great player spotter and Clough certainly had that in Peter Taylor.

Taylor pulled some great finds from relative obscurity especially in their early days in management and culminated in them lifting the European Cup twice, but again signing the right players albeit from better quality.

St Johnstome are a good Div 1 team - as were Hamilton ( and previously Dundee and Dunfermline for example ) who all have struggled in the SPL in recent years.

I do not see any St Johnstone player who could come into a Hearts team and make us any better.

If - as I expect St Johnstone do win promotion I am sure they will be difficult to beat but will hover around positions 9 - 12 in the SPL ( at least in the first season )

So - no thanks - we dont need a farmer.

Archived