Villa v West Brom

Gigolo-Aunt

Just noticed how much they are still in the mix. Considering they have just once in 6 at home - their away form is superb.

Not saying they will win the league, but a couple of prudent signings in the window and they may just split one of the big teams in the CL race.

Hope they do it - not a popular view but I have a hell of a lot of time for O'Neill.

Would be refreshing for the Premier League if they could do it.

Charlie-Brown

O'Neill has been very shrewd in buying up some good younger players from the likes of Reading, West Ham, Fulham etc as well as having some solid experienced pro's and some very good academy players.

Just noticed how much they are still in the mix. Considering they have just once in 6 at home - their away form is superb.

Not saying they will win the league, but a couple of prudent signings in the window and they may just split one of the big teams in the CL race.

Hope they do it - not a popular view but I have a hell of a lot of time for O'Neill.

Me too. Martin O'Neill is my third favourite footballing personality ever (2nd, Jim Jefferies; 1st, Sir Bobby Robson). They have a terrific chance of fourth, and can really only get better. At some point over the next two and a half seasons, I expect a sustained title challenge from them.

Me too. Martin O'Neill is my third favourite footballing personality ever (2nd, Jim Jefferies; 1st, Sir Bobby Robson). They have a terrific chance of fourth, and can really only get better. At some point over the next two and a half seasons, I expect a sustained title challenge from them.

Villa find themselves in a geniune positition with saying to players who may interest "supposed to bigger clubs" why would you want to leave?

Due to where they are, they may also be able to attract a quality of player that they might not have been able to a few seasons back.

If they could get someone else in up top who can put the ball in the net on a regular basis, they will be a real threat to the status quo.

Pace is such a key quality in PL football - they have it in numbers, and with quality thrown in as well.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

They have been brilliant so far this season.

Really exciting team to watch as well. Team full of pace and young players who just don't have any fear.

O'Neil has built a brilliant team. He's an excellent manager. I can admit that even though I dislike him.

My favourite O'Neil moment was where he fell over the water bottles in a Hearts - Celtic semi. Might have been the Pope game.

Villa have been superb whenever i've seen them on the box this season.

O'Neill has got them playing some great stuff.

Villa are a good team and O'Neill's a good manager (through gritted teeth), but I HATE him!!!! It's almost irrational, my hatred, but I do!

Even my Celtic mates allowed me to hate O'Neill when he was at them cos I'd hated him at Leicester too. Something about him really gets me

I've met him too and he was a really nice bloke. I just canny stand the wee jobby! i find him very disrepectful to other teams I guess

winston churchill

monkey heeds team ........will pass the villas big physical team off the park

With the amount of pish football on tv these days (I will admit I still watch them) Villa are the one team I look forward to watching. Just a pity I'm away to the Cowdenbeath game today as their game will be a cracker I reckon.

But yeah all I can do is echo the thoughts on already expressed. O'Neil is a fantastic manager. So passionate and knowlegable (Sp?). I thought the injury to Carew would be the end to their challenge but they have done superbly and an addition of another striker will really help.

Oh and Martin Laursen rules. The boy is a rock. Probably my favourite EPL player with Xabi Alonso.

monkey heeds team ........will pass the villas big physical team off the park

:laugh:

Captain, whenever there is a chance to have a pop at monkey man - you are there.

And why not.

Villa find themselves in a geniune positition with saying to players who may interest "supposed to bigger clubs" why would you want to leave?

Due to where they are, they may also be able to attract a quality of player that they might not have been able to a few seasons back.

If they could get someone else in up top who can put the ball in the net on a regular basis, they will be a real threat to the status quo.

Pace is such a key quality in PL football - they have it in numbers, and with quality thrown in as well.

Absolutely. MON is so shrewd, and a lesson to other ambitious managers: he always waits and waits for the right move, and doesn't just jump straight into a bigger job. Villa was perfect for him because it offered substantial funds, a job near his sick wife, real potential and the chance to do a long-term job with little or no pressure. He's in a fantastic position.

Although it'll of course be far harder for them to challenge given their lack of resources, I'm intrigued by Dundee United's medium and long-term prospects in the SPL: Levein too is in a great position, with plenty of improvement to come from his team I suspect. But back to MON: I've always believed him to be following a five year plan, which goes something like this:

Year 1: mid-table

Year 2: UEFA Cup

Year 3: CL qualification or as near as dammit

Year 4: Top 3, and maybe win a Cup?

Year 5: Title challenge

Interesting times, indeed.

Villa are a good team and O'Neill's a good manager (through gritted teeth), but I HATE him!!!! It's almost irrational, my hatred, but I do!

Even my Celtic mates allowed me to hate O'Neill when he was at them cos I'd hated him at Leicester too. Something about him really gets me

I've met him too and he was a really nice bloke. I just canny stand the wee jobby! i find him very disrepectful to other teams I guess

Do you need permission off your Celtic mates before you can hate someone?!

Captain Scarlett

Villa are still in the mix and they will pick p 3 points today againt monkey-heid albion. Arsenal have their bogey team Bolton, Chelsea and United play tomorrow so could be a good weekend for Villa.

Chad Sexington

I love watching Villa at the moment.

They are so pacy up front.

I Hope they make it into the CL places at the end of the season.

Preferably at the expense of Chelski. :D

I love watching Villa at the moment.

They are so pacy up front.

I Hope they make it into the CL places at the end of the season.

Preferably at the expense of Chelski. :D

They are great entertainment.

Phetrov and Barry in the middle with Milner and Young on the wings is a pretty dynamic midfield.

Phetrov and Barry in the middle with Milner and Young on the wings is a pretty dynamic midfield.

Not sure why, but have never been convinced on Milner. Have seen him do some good stuff with the ball but have seen games pass him by.

Maybe a little harsh as Im forgetting he is still a young kid - been around the game it seems for a hell of a long time.

That Ashley Young winner at Goodison. Wow! Moment of the English season so far IMO.

That Ashley Young winner at Goodison. Wow! Moment of the English season so far IMO.

Yeah, amazing finish.

He just looked so confident when he went clean through, I just knew he was going to bury it.

Not sure why, but have never been convinced on Milner. Have seen him do some good stuff with the ball but have seen games pass him by.

Maybe a little harsh as Im forgetting he is still a young kid - been around the game it seems for a hell of a long time.

I quite like him.

Extremely cultured player and he delivers a great cross. You're right though, i've seen him be completely ineffective in games before.

Apparently their only concern is they have only used 18 players so far this season so they have to have a sticky spell at some point

Apparently their only concern is they have only used 18 players so far this season so they have to have a sticky spell at some point

Correct, and they really don't have the squad yet, as their recent UEFA Cup game amply demonstrated. That was Liverpool's problem up until this season: it takes a tremendous amount of time to climb those final few steps to the summit, with each one more treacherous than the last.

Correct, and they really don't have the squad yet, as their recent UEFA Cup game amply demonstrated. That was Liverpool's problem up until this season: it takes a tremendous amount of time to climb those final few steps to the summit, with each one more treacherous than the last.

Agreed but they have a young sqaud and if it does'nt happen this year i have a feeling that O'neill will make it happen next year . But that depends on wether Wenger stays at Arsenal. I have a good friend whose a gooner and he says they're very disalusioned this year with him

1-0 Villa already.

Surprising as they've looked poor.

Interesting to see Curtis Davies score against his former club and show a bit of dignity with the celebration. I'm sure the WBA fans will appreciate the gesture.

see elvis thats how to celebrate against your old club! Curtis davies makes no fuss, no punching the chest like it was world cup final

Don't like them much but took them on the coupon.

11 homes, ?452. Reading in and hopefully ten more to follow.

Edit: 1 game off, ?292.

2-0 Villa now.

Comedy error from Carson the West Brom goalie - a real Zibi effort.

Have to say though, what the hell were the West Brom defence up to? There were about 4 of them all around him and they just let him run as far as he want without any of them challenging him.

Villa are up 2-1.

Bednar came off the bench at half-time, he's looking very enthusiastic if nothing else, he's been involved in quite a few moves in the short time he's been on the pitch.

I think he had the wrong attitude when he was at Hearts, and coupled with his injuries we never got to see the best of him. I think he'll go on to have a decent career down south and with the Czech national team now.

If only we had someone with his power and directness just now, too often Nade has to drop deep or out wide and that's why he's not scoring, it's not because of the two or three good chances he's fluffed.

Looking forward to the rest of this weekend's live games:

Stoke v Liverpool tonight

Our game tomorrow

Man Utd v Chelsea

Not too shabby...

Archived