What does Elliot have to do?

Randle P McMurphy

Randle P McMurphy

I may be in a minority of one but I still have a nagging suspicion that there is a player in there waiting to come out (not in a hobo way).

Assuming that is true, what would it take for Elliot to become accepted by the Hearts support?

Does he have to score goals on a consistent basis?

does he have to score the winner against the hobos or the OF?

does he have to display a never say die attitude without the petulance?

all of these things?

something else entirely?

he will never be accepted by the Hearts support?

KINNEK595 - What does Elliot have to do?

Put ball in net?

Its really not rocket science, honestly its not.

Score between 8-12 goals between now and the end of the season. Stop getting silly bookings/red cards and stop bleating in the papers about getting booed/If I don't get a game I'm offski etc.

Do what he is paid to do. Not difficult to comprehend really. He's paid to score goals not run about a pitch like a headless chicken doing sod all and ending up getting booked for petulance, or shaking his head at players etc.

Score goals. Simple. Did it at Livi, can he do it at ER on Sunday?

If he does he could quite likely get that new start he's after at Hearts, then he has to keep scoring, just like any other striker has to do.

I may be in a minority of one but I still have a nagging suspicion that there is a player in there waiting to come out (not in a hobo way).

Assuming that is true, what would it take for Elliot to become accepted by the Hearts support?

all of these things?

something else entirely?

If he scores the winner this coming Sunday I'll carry him home shoulder high from Easter Road myself!

Guest iplseczed
Elliot GTF ....

You've got to love the deep, profound statements made on this board.

Care to provide a supporting argument to that piece of spin?

Personally, I think it's now or never for Elliot. He had a good spell in the 05-06 season but has never matched that form since. His loan move to Motherwell was also a complete disaster IIRC. However, the situation we're in just now places him in a great position. He needs to prove he has what it takes in the SPL; he needs to prove his doubters wrong - and we need a goalscorer. It's his to grasp with both hands, and I hope he does.

If not, then the First Division is clearly the place for him.

Charlie-Brown

Elliot is good enough to play for at least half the teams in the SPL especially if last nite was indicative of the general standard of players.

Why are we even debating this??

Elliot was found out to hopeless at Tynecastle and a loan/transfer to another Club does NOT mean that he is going to be any better now he's back.

You can put Mole and Stewart in the same category!

Elliot is good enough to play for at least half the teams in the SPL especially if last nite was indicative of the general standard of players.

Bit of a generalisation that just does not stand up to scrutiny.

Based on his performances for Hearts and Motherwell, Elliot is NOT good enough for any team in the SPL

Charlie-Brown

Iam not a huge Elliot fan & his form & attitude haven't been great hopefully that's improved a lot. In Scotland however he's among the top group of players in his age group.

Iam not a huge Elliot fan & his form & attitude haven't been great hopefully that's improved a lot. In Scotland however he's among the top group of players in his age group.

THAT is a frightening inditement of Scottish football!!!!

Charlie-Brown

Naismith, Fletcher, Clarkson, Elliot & Snodgrass are the top few scottish strikers available to Spl clubs in the years ahead, there are of course younger players & any late developers.

Naismith, Fletcher, Clarkson, Elliot & Snodgrass are the top few scottish strikers available to Spl clubs in the years ahead, there are of course younger players & any late developers.

Elliot is not (and never will be) in the same class as Naismith, Fletcher or Clarkson!

all of these things?

something else entirely?

A goal on sunday will start the ball rolling....(hmm, obviously from kick off again...but thats no what I meant :laugh:)

Charlie-Brown
Elliot is not (and never will be) in the same class as Naismith, Fletcher or Clarkson!

I didn't say he was lambojambo - only that those are the players that are in the same age group as Elliot and who have come through the Scotland age groups together - if you look through the Leagues in Scotland & England you'll find very few other Scottish strikers in that age bracket playing first team football, so who else are the 12 SPL clubs going to be able to choose from in the years ahead? Players of other nationalities & younger players.

Salvatore's Tash

I believe he will prove whether that be at Hearts or elsewhere that he does have the ability. Its difficult for fans to judge his character from stands, articles etc. IMO he gets a raw deal on this.

He is not a big time charlie and it is in fact lack of belief and taking stick to heart that mean he has in the past looked a shadow of the player that played against Celtic under Rix.

I believe he will prove whether that be at Hearts or elsewhere that he does have the ability. Its difficult for fans to judge his character from stands, articles etc. IMO he gets a raw deal on this.

He is not a big time charlie and it is in fact lack of belief and taking stick to heart that mean he has in the past looked a shadow of the player that played against Celtic under Rix.

Someone sensibe at last! Elliot is a quiet well natured young guy, who has a lack of confidence and to get it back needs the fans to get behind him and get a couple of quick goals, hopefully against Hibs! He is a talented boy and will combine well with Nade or Glen.

By dropping the attitude and showing that he wants to play for Hearts by trying like a fecking bear whenever he plays.

Elliot GTF ....

With 'supporters' like you our players are sure to repond to the positive enthusiastic support we give our beloved Hearts every week. :mw_rolleyes:

I really do think sometimes we forget that we are classed as supporters, not 'people who criticise the **** out of our players every week because that will surely get the best out of them!'

I've said all along there is a player in there. I hope he takes this opportunity abd recaptures some of the form he showed under Rix.

All those people that shout for Gary Glen to play - one look at Elliott now tells you why it is too soon for Gary Glen to play week in week out for us. The weight of expectation can break some young players.

Marmeladent?rtchen
I've said all along there is a player in there. I hope he takes this opportunity abd recaptures some of the form he showed under Rix.

All those people that shout for Gary Glen to play - one look at Elliott now tells you why it is too soon for Gary Glen to play week in week out for us. The weight of expectation can break some young players.

I agree, I just want Elliot to knuckle down and work hard. I dont see him or Glen as first team, but at the moment, along with Nade, they are all we have.

Time will tell.

I think there is a good player in Elliot, but he is not a "Striker". Given the right role he will run and work all day.

[/b]

THAT is a frightening inditement of Scottish football!!!!

Elliot helped Scotland to the Euro u 18 champ. final fhe first final for Scotland at ANY level for 25 years!

Hopefully the boo boys have this year's Calum Elliott to boo in Obua, therefore Elliott might be given a chance!!

Perverse logic at it's best.

jambo walesy

Elliot deserves all he gets from the fans.

He stated in the paper "don't make me go to Hearts"

Ok then F' off your absolutely useless.

Can't understand how people are suddenly turning a blind eye to how much he doesn't want to be here and how bad a footballer he is.

Even if he does score on Sunday he will still be useless.

If his time at SPL clubs is indicative of his ability to play in the SPL then the above is incorrect.

Calum Elliot needs to score goals, he is a striker and that is his job. IF he can score goals regularly at this level I would play him, if he cannot then he has to go.

Simple really.

Charlie-Brown

Like Robbie Neilson, Elliot has been regularly picked & played by a lot of Hearts & Scottish coaches. Maybe standards have declined but he's definitely Spl quality.

Assuming that is true, what would it take for Elliot to become accepted by the Hearts support? Score a couple goals every game and 5 past the hobbos on sunday

Does he have to score goals on a consistent basis? Yes

does he have to score the winner against the hobos or the OF? Yes

does he have to display a never say die attitude without the petulance? Yes

all of these things?

something else entirely?

he will never be accepted by the Hearts support? Possibly

:mw_rolleyes:

JT's & Irons

If he scores more than half a dozen goals between now and the split. Gets us in the top 6 and applies himself/grows up a bit I think he will be accepted.

Will be interesting to see what Csaba can do wi him. Aint got much else to work with at the moment has he?

don't know if anyone else has posted this idea (too pashed to read all opinions)

elliot in place of nade , with glen playing in the hole.

think this could be a good partnership

Like Robbie Neilson, Elliot has been regularly picked & played by a lot of Hearts & Scottish coaches. Maybe standards have declined but he's definitely Spl quality.

Rubbish again, just ask any Hearts or Motherwell fan. It is far from definite, he really needs to prove himself to be "definitely" SPL quality.

Charlie-Brown

Why would fans opinions on Elliot be of any significance whether professional football people think he's good enough to play in the Spl?

I actually think he could turn out to be a very good player. Csaba can do it :D

You've touched on the most important factor here. With Csaba as his gaffer now Elliot has a chance to flourish like never before at Hearts. Both Berra and Driver have become better this season and i think a lot of that is down to Csaba. He is seemingly managing to improve these 2 players and if you add in the improvement of Kari then one would logically argue that Elliot would fall into that category...given time. He just needs to knuckle down and work hard and stop speaking to the press.

Why would fans opinions on Elliot be of any significance whether professional football people think he's good enough to play in the Spl?

Okay then, cyclical debate number 2354 about to start. YOU said that he is definitely SPL quality, not professional football people. Show me where "professional football people" say he is good enough to play in the SPL. What I can show you is a striker that doesn't score goals in the SPL, for either Hearts or Motherwell. When he played for Motherwell they were in the bottom two, he ended up on their bench. If you are benched by one of the bottom two then you are not exactly doing well.

Elliot should NEVER have been farmed out to M'well when he was. Prior to this he showed promise. Very little alternative at the moment, so why not give him a break and see if he can prove himself and regain confidence.

Booing your own team only makes them worse!

Archived