SPL to consider ending reserve league

Chaps

a reserve league of some form is required.

allows player development and snr players to regain match sharpness.

scrapping it is short sighted.

might be better to have regional leagues though (eg. a east coast / central belt / highland area) - as regional will cut down on travel/costs.

regionally - they could include all SLF leagues too. this would allow lower league players a chance to go up against SPL players.

No doubt the OF would demand a reserve team be able to play in the SFL thus disadvantaging everyone else even further.

The People's Chimp
No doubt the OF would demand a reserve team be able to play in the SFL thus disadvantaging everyone else even further.

Indeed. Hasn't wattie 'complete c0ck' smith been bleating about this one for a while?

Mark_Mywords

Remember that the bigot brothers want to join a new league, with their reserve teams playing the the SPL. No more need for a reserve league... IN THEIR EYES. :evilno:

A reserve league is very important for young players coming through.

might be better to have regional leagues though (eg. a east coast / central belt / highland area) - as regional will cut down on travel/costs.

regionally - they could include all SLF leagues too. this would allow lower league players a chance to go up against SPL players.

This makes a lot of sense.

So there's no chance of the SPL/GFA trying something like this.

Just shows that Csaba is ahead of the game.

He has already decided this season that the reserve team will be mainly for those 23 or under, progressing from the U19s, not for those on big wages who can't be arsed to try a leg in the 1st team and still pick up good wages.

Only the odd one over 23 plays nowadays. The rest home is closing!

Indeed. Hasn't wattie 'complete c0ck' smith been bleating about this one for a while?

Yup and its the only way I could see the OF backing this move, and no doubt only 2 would get in, not to mention the costs so everyone except the OF would have no use for players over 19 but not first team regulars.

Whilst the reserves are crap they play a role

bean counter

"The Scottish Premier League has confirmed they are considering ending reserve football next season.

They say the topic was raised at December's summit meeting involving directors and six managers from top-flight clubs.

"It's a little premature to say it'll be scrapped but it is under review," said SPL spokesman Greig Mailer.

"But that was one of the main reasons that the six managers were called to meet with our working group."

The first SPL summit took place at the beginning of December, where the proposal to revise the reserve system was made by club directors.

At that meeting only half of the league's managers - Gordon Strachan, Walter Smith, Craig Levein, Jimmy Calderwood, Mark McGhee and John Hughes - were asked to attend.

But all 12 managers are to be invited to the next meeting in January to give their thoughts on the way forward. "

Are these 6 managers now the chosen ones, the Establishment, setting the agenda for the rest to follow ?

I would agree with your suggestion scotty. They do a similar things in England (well it's in FM anyway!) which means you're not playing the same old faces but you're also not having to travel to Inverness etc.

"The Scottish Premier League has confirmed they are considering ending reserve football next season.

They say the topic was raised at December's summit meeting involving directors and six managers from top-flight clubs.

"It's a little premature to say it'll be scrapped but it is under review," said SPL spokesman Greig Mailer.

"But that was one of the main reasons that the six managers were called to meet with our working group."

The first SPL summit took place at the beginning of December, where the proposal to revise the reserve system was made by club directors.

At that meeting only half of the league's managers - Gordon Strachan, Walter Smith, Craig Levein, Jimmy Calderwood, Mark McGhee and John Hughes - were asked to attend.

But all 12 managers are to be invited to the next meeting in January to give their thoughts on the way forward. "

Are these 6 managers now the chosen ones, the Establishment, setting the agenda for the rest to follow ?

It's beginning to look that way. They set the agenda and then expect everyone else to rubber stamp it.

Gordon Strachan had his knickers in a right old twist over the discussions from this meeting becoming public knowledge and I'm still not sure why he was so bothered, because most of the stuff that has come out of it has been no surprise at all. Weird. Anyway....

Totally daft idea and I'd be very interested to hear what the reasoning behind this proposal is, or what alternatives etc were discussed. If, indeed, alternative leagues for reserve/younger players were discussed at all....

jamboinglasgow
Gordon Strachan had his knickers in a right old twist over the discussions from this meeting becoming public knowledge and I'm still not sure why he was so bothered, because most of the stuff that has come out of it has been no surprise at all. Weird. Anyway....

Totally daft idea and I'd be very interested to hear what the reasoning behind this proposal is, or what alternatives etc were discussed. If, indeed, alternative leagues for reserve/younger players were discussed at all....

Speaking of Gordan Strachan, I was amazed at a comment of his from the weekend. He blamed the fact he didn't have McGreedy in the squad because he was forced to have two U21 players in it. He went on to say how he has often complained about this rule before and how it shouldn't be allowed. I thought my heart bleeds for him. The rule exists to stop the OLD firm from playing nothing but over age players and not caring about youngsters.

This feels just the same. It is a good shout that someone said that with what Rangers said recently about playing the reserve team in SPL while the first team plays in an Alantic league. WHile they are going about it, lets scrap the u19 league and all youth systems in Scotland, Rangers and Celtic dont need it, they can just buy players in who they need and with the money saved they can get a few more players why should rangers and celtic be forced to help out the rest of league by having a reserve league.

Also I think an U23 league with a max of 3 overage players (like the olympics) would be good for Scottish football. And making it regional rather than SPL, league 1,2,3

A ridiculously short sighted move. Obviously they just want more players out of work and it just doesn't make any sense at all. The only good thing about it is that it might mean that the standard of the lower league clubs could become higher as less players sit on the sidelines at bigger teams doing nothing.

As others have said though, I wouldn't be surprised if this meant the OF having reserve teams in the lower leagues.

Agreed. The SPL are numbskulls. Only inviting 6 of the managers to the meeting for a start was ridiculous. Why oh why are the people who run Scottish football so devoid of common sense, and why don't they appear to have the ability to organise the mass consumption of alcohol in a brewery?

Speaking of Gordan Strachan, I was amazed at a comment of his from the weekend. He blamed the fact he didn't have McGreedy in the squad because he was forced to have two U21 players in it. He went on to say how he has often complained about this rule before and how it shouldn't be allowed. I thought my heart bleeds for him. The rule exists to stop the OLD firm from playing nothing but over age players and not caring about youngsters.

This feels just the same. It is a good shout that someone said that with what Rangers said recently about playing the reserve team in SPL while the first team plays in an Alantic league. WHile they are going about it, lets scrap the u19 league and all youth systems in Scotland, Rangers and Celtic dont need it, they can just buy players in who they need and with the money saved they can get a few more players why should rangers and celtic be forced to help out the rest of league by having a reserve league.

Also I think an U23 league with a max of 3 overage players (like the olympics) would be good for Scottish football. And making it regional rather than SPL, league 1,2,3

I was just about to say much of what you posted. All SPL clubs should vote against the removal of the under 21 bench rule. Why? because it suits the ugly sisters more than anyone else. As if they dont already get the lions share of TV cash & refereeing decisions anyway, they just want to load the dice even further.

They have a poor record of developing their own players ( and a worse record of developing bought-in players in recent years). the removal of the under 21 rule would only allow them to exercise their financial muscle by buying up more good scottish players & not playing them.

They would be able to close down Murray Park & wherever smelltic groom their youngsters. By scrapping the reserve league it would weaken the other non-old firm clubs even further.

IMO such decisions should be taken as part of a root and branch review of our game, and it is beyond belief that it is even legal for the SPL to convene a meeting without the mandatory attandance of all member clubs. Given lex Gold's past history of incompetence, this should be a sacking offence as far as he is concerned.

I usually keep an open mind on these issues, but what I am seeing & hearing over the past 2 weeks or so stinks to high heaven.

Do The Dance

I think an u21/u23 league with a rule of up to 3 over age players (to allow for returns from injury etc) would not be a bad thing! The reserve league does seem a little pointless at times - who actually cares if we win it etc? It should be used to bring through youngsters and an age cap on it would be beneficial. Would probably stop Rangers/Celtic/us from buying so many players for the squad as well, when there's no need.

Agreed. The SPL are numbskulls. Only inviting 6 of the managers to the meeting for a start was ridiculous. Why oh why are the people who run Scottish football so devoid of common sense, and why don't they appear to have the ability to organise the mass consumption of alcohol in a brewery?

As argyjambo just mentioned, I'm also completely gobsmacked that they can get away with having any sort of development meetings which don't involve all member clubs. Aside from any of the more obvious reasons why it's a bad idea, it also completely devalues these meetings from the start and any decisions that are made as a result of the discussions held.

Talk about making a pig's ear of things, that Lex Gold has a lot to answer for. Mind you, as we have already witnessed with the SFA and Smith, his replacement might not be any better.....

A ridiculously short sighted move. Obviously they just want more players out of work and it just doesn't make any sense at all. The only good thing about it is that it might mean that the standard of the lower league clubs could become higher as less players sit on the sidelines at bigger teams doing nothing.

As others have said though, I wouldn't be surprised if this meant the OF having reserve teams in the lower leagues.

Agree with all of this.

I don't think the ugly sisters, or anyone else for that matter, could enter reserve teams in the lower leagues. What would happen if said reserve team won promotion to the SPL - not as unlikely as some might think given the reasources at their disposal.

I do agree that the reserve league in it's current format is not viable.

I also don't think any kind of age restriction is appropriate for reserve football - players need games regardless of age, but most Scottish clubs are tending to invest in youth in any case without the situation being forced.

A regional reserve league, open to both SPL and SFL clubs, is the option they are likely to go for.

Alternatively, what's to stop SPL clubs entering reserve sides into the regional junior, senior or highland leagues respectively (depending on location). I genuinely think that arrangement could benefit all concerned.

For example, if Hearts were playing away at Aberdeen, I would quite happily go to watch our reserves play Camelon Juniors. I'm sure Camelon Junior players would relish playing against pro's on a regular basis. It might improve the crowds that attended junior, senior and higland leage games. Finally, it might generate some TV income for junior, senior or highland league sides, that they can re-invest in their own set-ups.

Agree with all of this.

I don't think the ugly sisters, or anyone else for that matter, could enter reserve teams in the lower leagues. What would happen if said reserve team won promotion to the SPL - not as unlikely as some might think given the reasources at their disposal.

I do agree that the reserve league in it's current format is not viable.

I also don't think any kind of age restriction is appropriate for reserve football - players need games regardless of age, but most Scottish clubs are tending to invest in youth in any case without the situation being forced.

A regional reserve league, open to both SPL and SFL clubs, is the option they are likely to go for.

Alternatively, what's to stop SPL clubs entering reserve sides into the regional junior, senior or highland leagues respectively (depending on location). I genuinely think that arrangement could benefit all concerned.

For example, if Hearts were playing away at Aberdeen, I would quite happily go to watch our reserves play Camelon Juniors. I'm sure Camelon Junior players would relish playing against pro's on a regular basis. It might improve the crowds that attended junior, senior and higland leage games. Finally, it might generate some TV income for junior, senior or highland league sides, that they can re-invest in their own set-ups.

Totally agree with most of what you say but while there are obvious benefits for lower level players to get time up against pros, are there really all that many benefits for our reserve players in playing teams like Camelon?

Ibrahim Tall
Agree with all of this.

Would imagine it'd be run the same way as in Spain and a few other countries, where the "B Team" can't enter cup competitions and can't pay in the same league as the "A" either. eg even if they were to win promotion from the first division the promotion is handed to the next team down and if the main team is relegated into B's division B goes down aswell.

Tbh, even though i'd prefer the "u23" solution Csaba mentioned i wouldn't mind the idea of us having a reserve team in the lower leagues either. Atleast that way it'd give some of our young players a shot at first team football without having to set up a loan deal.

Totally agree with most of what you say but while there are obvious benefits for lower level players to get time up against pros, are there really all that many benefits for our reserve players in playing teams like Camelon?

I actually think that some of the junior/senior/highland league players would provide a sterner test to our reserves than SFL or other SPL reserve teams. I've watched quite a few Camelon games when Hearts aren't playing (their ground is at the top of my road) and would suggest the standard on show is better than I've seen at whiling away my Hearts free afternoons or nights at East Stirling, Alloa or Albion Rovers.

I think they should add SPL reserve teams to the SFL, have bigger 1st, 2nd and 3rd divisions= more competitive, less games against the same opposition = less boring =bigger crowds= more money.

SPL 12 teams

SFL 14 teams in each league.

There would have to be a rule though that clubs couldn't play in the same league as their reserves.

Archived