Hearts is/are...

The Merse

What do you say?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you say?

• Hearts is
    • Hearts are

I'm not sure why but I find it slightly irritating when people say Hearts is this/that/the next thing.

Should it not be Hearts are this/that/the next thing?

Or am I just being stupid.

I'm not sure why but I find it slightly irritating when people say Hearts is this/that/the next thing.

Should it not be Hearts are this/that/the next thing?

Or am I just being stupid.

Depends whether or not you consider a football club to be a singular or collective entity. I prefer the latter.

Commander Harris

Hearts are.

it's been a convention in British English to use the plural forms for sports teams. the constant use of the singular forms on the official website does tick me off a bit :mad:

Depends whether or not you consider a football club to be a singular or collective entity. I prefer the latter.

Or a singular collective entity. I prefer "are".

shaun.lawson

Grammatically, Peanut is correct - but sport is conventionally different. This isn't the US or Australia, so it's 'are' - and it annoys the crap out of me whenever someone says 'is' instead.

shaun.lawson
Hearts are the best :)

Heart of Midlothian football club is the best :)

:confused:

In the latter case, you're talking about the club, and are correct. In the former, you're talking about the team, and are also correct.

I trust this clarifies matters. :)

I've noticed it a few times on the official website and it annoys the bejesus out of me for some reason. Hearts ARE...are are are....

Commander Harris

"Hearts are hoping that they can hold onto their key players before they play Motherwell"

or

"Hearts is hoping that it can hold onto its key players before it plays Motherwell"

how annoying is the latter!

John Montgomery
Hearts are the best :)

Heart of Midlothian football club is the best :)

:confused:

I think you might have stated the difference.

Grammatically speaking, it should be Hearts 'is' and I think most other countries do speak about teams as a singular entity but in Britain we tend to think of a football team as a plural - dunno why, its just a convention we seem to have fallen into. This is probably another reason why Shabba sounds a bit mental in interviews, he talks about another football team as a singular, masculine entity, eg "Hibernian was very poor today. He cheated and dived at every opportunity and he played a very negative game. He is not very good at all and Hearts will undoubtedly beat him when we play him next week in the Scottish Cup (which he has not won for 107 years)"...is something which he might have said...:mw_rolleyes:

Archived