Driver / Conway

bobskeldon

Conway on at least half Driver's wages and provides twice the end product!

Sell Driver...buy Conway!

Hasn`t Conway been around a few clubs already before settling at DU? Always wary of that, a sign of inconsistency.

You are at the wind-up anyway.:evilno:

No thanks :)

Because he is not cheaper to have on the wage bill or because you don't think he provides twice the product?

I'm not sure that I agree with that to be honest.

Conway is a good SPL standard player, but he is completely one dimensional; cuts in from the left onto his right foot and crosses from deep every single time...

Charlie-Brown

That's as simplistic as saying we should sell Berra and sign Darren Barr or sell Kingston and sign Scott Arfield etc. - these players have contracts and their clubs have the same idea as we do of getting the best possible price for their best young players and won't give them away cheaply.

Why are Hearts fans always so keen to talk down our young players? Driver is a far better player, who both scores and creates more goals.

Because he is not cheaper to have on the wage bill or because you don't think he provides twice the product?

Both Tbh

1) If we bought him he would demand a SPL wage -rather than the low wages he would when they signed him from Ayr - thus the saving here isnt much if anything

2) He is inconsistent and whilst can be brillant can be pretty shoddy

Overall I think driver is the better winger to have both financially and product wise

I'm not sure that I agree with that to be honest.

Conway is a good SPL standard player, but he is completely one dimensional; cuts in from the left onto his right foot and crosses from deep every single time...

I think if you look at any of DUs matches(including the last three or four against us) this analysis of him is totally inaccurate!

That's as simplistic as saying we should sell Berra and sign Darren Barr or sell Kingston and sign Scott Arfield etc. - these players have contracts and their clubs have the same idea as we do of getting the best possible price for their best young players and won't give them away cheaply.

What is your point? I would buy Darren Barr if Berra went, I would buy Arfield if Kingston went because they would cost a fraction of what we would get for these two!

Why are Hearts fans always so keen to talk down our young players? Driver is a far better player, who both scores and creates more goals.

Who is talking down our young players? I am talking about ONE of our young players who I think flatters to deceive in most games!

I'm (for some reason) going to completely discount the opinion of someone who thinks Obua is a player, and that we should have brought back Kancelskis rather than give McGowan a game as he ISN'T a player.

:mw_rolleyes:

I'm (for some reason) going to completely discount the opinion of someone who thinks Obua is a player, and that we should have brought back Kancelskis rather than give McGowan a game as he ISN'T a player.

Are you suggesting that Obua is not talented because he clearly is..e.g he has played three or four 'key' passes this season that nobody else in the team (Ruben excepted) could have played including Bruno and Kingston. Whether he can play in the SPL is a completely different question. Tomas Kancelskis never once let HMFC down and I suggested his return at a time when we NEEDED players who wouldn't let us down. As for McGowan...having seen him a few times, I am convinced he will not be good enough for HMFC.

Football is about opinions...I also stated a long time ago that Robbie Neilson was and remains the most natural right back at the club. Many thousands disagree (inc many Kickbackers) but IMO he is!

Ibrahim Tall
Are you suggesting that Obua is not talented because he clearly is..e.g he has played three or four 'key' passes this season that nobody else in the team (Ruben excepted) could have played including Bruno and Kingston. Whether he can play in the SPL is a completely different question. Tomas Kancelskis never once let HMFC down and I suggested his return at a time when we NEEDED players who wouldn't let us down. As for McGowan...having seen him a few times, I am convinced he will not be good enough for HMFC.

4 passes, fantastic contribution.

When exactly were they? can't even remember him setting up a goal.

Charlie-Brown
What is your point? I would buy Darren Barr if Berra went, I would buy Arfield if Kingston went because they would cost a fraction of what we would get for these two!

Would they? If I was Falkirk and knew Hearts had just received X Million pounds from selling player Y then I'd be looking for absolute top dollar for their best prospects just as Motherwell & Dundee Utd were years ago when Jefferies wanted to buy Lee McCulloch & Robbie Winters - no SPL rival team would ever sell us their best players cheaply if they were under contract - why would they?

Football is about opinions...I also stated a long time ago that Robbie Neilson was and remains the most natural right back at the club. Many thousands disagree (inc many Kickbackers) but IMO he is!

I agree with you about Neilson, and I think many on here are deluded about his contribution, but I think you're well wrong about Driver. When he is fit, he is one of the few (only?) players we have who genuinely provide threat to the top SPL teams.

And as shocked as I am to type it, I agree with Charlie :eek: that the clubs will be looking for a good price for their players (as we do) and that the players will be looking for better contracts coming to us, so I'm not sure that we could get quite the bargain you are suggesting.

I'm not convinced that the regime is willing/able to spend any significant money in transfer fees at this time, and any players we add will be in the Ian Black category, ie. useful players from smaller clubs who are out of contract. I do think that it is worthwhile to discuss players like the above.

Would they? If I was Falkirk and knew Hearts had just received X Million pounds from selling player Y then I'd be looking for absolute top dollar for their best prospects just as Motherwell & Dundee Utd were years ago when Jefferies wanted to buy Lee McCulloch & Robbie Winters - no SPL rival team would ever sell us their best players cheaply if they were under contract - why would they?

I am not saying they would be 'cheap', are you suggesting that what HMFC would pay e.g. Arfield (fee and wages) would be as much as what Hearts would gain from selling Kingston (fee and wages)? I would expect to pay 'top dollar' but the 'top dollar' HMFC received for Kingston would be significantly greater. We get a promising young Scottish player ANd we save money...it's a no-brainer!

he defo made 1 telling pass from the edge of the box v airdrie.

right into row z (i know there isn't 1) of the roseburn - pin-point it was. :P

Charlie-Brown
I am not saying they would be 'cheap', are you suggesting that what HMFC would pay e.g. Arfield (fee and wages) would be as much as what Hearts would gain from selling Kingston (fee and wages)? I would expect to pay 'top dollar' but the 'top dollar' HMFC received for Kingston would be significantly greater. We get a promising young Scottish player ANd we save money...it's a no-brainer!

Why would the fee for Kingston be significantly more than the fee for Arfield? Would we be the only club in for Arfield if Falkirk made him available? Would they willingly sell him to us or look for an English or Old Firm buyer to get the best possible price? Would he want to sign for us depending on what his other options and ambitions are? Wouldn't transfer fees Hearts receive from selling players be better used improving the clubs finances than paying big sums on replacement players?

Who said he has made a fantastic contribution? The debate is whether he can 'play' or not e.g. Kingston can play but his contribution has been disgraceful!

For your information a 'key' pass is a pass which creates a scoring opportunity and Obua played two passes against Hamilton which were as good as you will see on a football pitch anywhere.

Regular John

Conway isn't anywhere near Driver's calibre and he's very injury prone.

The amount of stick Driver, one of our best players imo takes on here is unreal.

Also, Obua could be the one of the most talented players at the club but his attitude is a disgrace and for that reason I doubt he'll make it at Hearts.

Can't believe this is even a question, when Driver is in a one on one situation unlike a lot of wingers (Conway definately included) he can beat his man more often than not

In the game at Tynie I don't recall Conway beating Neilson on the outside often if at all, as has been said previously he gets so far and cuts back in to cross with his right. Ihat itself would rule him out for a move to Hearts unless we had a drastic change in personnel as we don't have the players who could win an in swinging cross, whereas Driver beating his man and crossing from the touch line we can get on the end of it (possibly?/eventually?) by coming across the defender

Conway is a decent player but if we want to sign any first team player of Dundee Utd, they aren't just going to let us and they'd probably be asking for more than we're willing to pay.

Can't believe this is even a question, when Driver is in a one on one situation unlike a lot of wingers (Conway definately included) he can beat his man more often than not

In the game at Tynie I don't recall Conway beating Neilson on the outside often if at all, as has been said previously he gets so far and cuts back in to cross with his right. Ihat itself would rule him out for a move to Hearts unless we had a drastic change in personnel as we don't have the players who could win an in swinging cross, whereas Driver beating his man and crossing from the touch line we can get on the end of it (possibly?/eventually?) by coming across the defender

Totally disagree about Driver in one on one situations. In terms of being one footed, Driver's right leg is for standing on! However, can you explain why forwards can only "come across the defender" from cutbacks from the bye line and not "come across the defender from 'inswinging' deliveries.

Charlie-Brown

It's easier for defenders & goalies to defend balls played in facing them than balls cut back in from the byeline or behind them - own goals are generally scored when the player is facing towards his goal and trying to clear than they are when facing out and try to clear upfield.

Totally disagree about Driver in one on one situations. In terms of being one footed, Driver's right leg is for standing on! However, can you explain why forwards can only "come across the defender" from cutbacks from the bye line and not "come across the defender from 'inswinging' deliveries.

When the winger cuts back and swings it in the defender is better placed to head the cross out as they are facing the way the ball is coming, a striker can still come across the defender to attack the ball but it has to be a very good delivery but it is easier to defend. In this case it is also up to the attacking player to put the power and positioning of the ball so their timing has to be spot on

in the situation where the winger hits the goal line and crosser it back the attackers and defenders are both facing goal, in this case the ball does not have to be brilliant if the attacker has anticipated where it is going to go as long as they can get on the end of it they will have an opportunity to score eg many of Hartleys goals scored against the wee team

Also, how does being one footed affect his ability to go past a man? Never hurt Neil McCann in the early stages of his career or Ryan Giggs or Davie Cooper or Jimmy Johnstone or many other wingers who I can't be arsed remembering at this time of night

Commander Harris

haven't seen a lot of conway but thought he was pretty ineffective against us.

Libertonian_II
Who is talking down our young players? I am talking about ONE of our young players who I think flatters to deceive in most games!

You don't half talk a lot of.............................

Fill in the blanks folks.

You don't half talk a lot of.............................

Fill in the blanks folks.

"Complete unmitigated s***e"?

Read the whole thread and still do not see anything to prove or indeed suggest this. Could you further elaborate this please. :)

tommythejambo

Source?

Or did you just make it up?

the OP has been at the Christmas sherry. Driver has 3 times as many SPL goals as Conway, in less games and is nearly 3 years younger. he also has the handicap of no having a decent goalscorer to cross for unlike Conway and having been playing in a worse team for most of the last two years. Driver also tends to play well in all our big games.

Driver for Conway would be the worst exchange since Preston for Crabbe.

Smoked-Glass

Driver is a great player to have and hopefully one day he'll get an England cap or 2 especially if they are struggling for left sided flair players.

Driver is my favourite player just now.

Having watched the highlights of the Celtic - Utd game I am at a loss to why the OP started this in the first place, I did not see Conway involved at all with any of the positive things Utd did on Saturday

jambos are go!

Sorry but that is drivel. We have played Driver as an out and out Right winger successfully at times. Including when he took the supposedly outstanding Murphy to the cleaners at Easter Road. Was he just standing on his rightfoot when he capitalised on an Andy McNeill plunder at the School end!!

A Hibs Workmate afterwards refused to believe me after the Murphy destruction when I said Driver was naturally left footed!!!

Archived