Ridgers - The Next Gordon! (merged threads)

JamboMarc

Csaba seems to always love experience in his players. So from this article I believe he really sees something in Ridgers. This can only be a good thing IMO.

Jambof3tornado

Have watched him quite a bit and think he will do a good job for us,if he gets the chances. Probably better than Jamie Mac IMO.

Oopsupsideyerheed
Have watched him quite a bit and think he will do a good job for us,if he gets the chances. Probably better than Jamie Mac IMO.

Agreed, taller than JM, who is a great keeper IMO. He is not long back from a bad injury so good luck to the lad. :107years:

Charlie-Brown

Ridgers has developed and improved a lot since the beginning of the season - credit for that has to go to Stevie Banks who's been coaching him personally and the new goalkeeping coach.

Charlie-Brown

Ridgers is only 18 just now and Gordon was early 20's before he started to play regularly in the first team.

Ridgers is only 18 just now and Gordon was early 20's before he started to play regularly in the first team.

Gordon was 18 on debut and a regular from the following season.

Charlie-Brown

Not according to London Hearts he wasn't....

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/gordoncraig.html

For what it's worth I don't think Ridgers is as good as Gordon but it would be unfair and wrong to expect him to be however Ridgers is a big powerful laddie and has all the attributes needed to be a good keeper these days.

jamboinglasgow
Csaba seems to always love experience in his players. So from this article I believe he really sees something in Ridgers. This can only be a good thing IMO.

I agree, it is not like anything important has happened with Ridgers that they want Csabas thoughts on. It appears to be unprompted talk about Ridgers and that is quite a good sign.

I have admit he looked shaky at times last season. But the match I saw of him this season, he looked a completely different goalie, and has some height and bulk on him. I trust Csaba when he says this, as he knows not to add pointless pressure on a player (its probably more to encourage him. Work hard and you have the potential to be as good as Craig Gordon.)

As someone said I think he is benefiting from the coaching of Banks and Ramoska. Banks will be handling his training more directly with Ramoska coming in to give help every so often.

Hearts have always had good young goalies and it was a shame to see Harry (Icelandic reserve goalkeeper) leave Hearts a few months ago, I always thought he looked good. MacDonald is a good goalie, so is new Oz goalie Matthew Falzon. Even Shaun Thomson who featured in a few games for the u19s last season despite being 14 at the time looks a great potential goalie.

Why just make up stuff? Gordon had to sit tight while Niemi was here and then there was a year of Roddy Mckenzie, Tepi Moilanen and whoever else wanted a shot in goals.

Charlie-Brown

Yes I have - it's hard to make a direct comparison because I didn't see Craig Gordon at age 18 before he played in the first team however in my opinion Craig Gordon has superior technique and is a more instinctive shot stopper however Ridgers is developing into a bear of a laddie and has come on a lot in the last 6 months under Steve Banks coaching - his handling and kicking are generally good and he's starting to have a physical & vocal presence in the penalty box - still got a lot of developing to do but he's a good prospect.

Yes I have - it's hard to make a direct comparison because I didn't see Craig Gordon at age 18 before he played in the first team however in my opinion Craig Gordon has superior technique and is a more instinctive shot stopper however Ridgers is developing into a bear of a laddie and has come on a lot in the last 6 months under Steve Banks coaching - his handling and kicking are generally good and he's starting to have a physical & vocal presence in the penalty box - still got a lot of developing to do but he's a good prospect.

Dont want to take this off topic from the OP, but have you seen much of Templeton this season, Charlie?

Sounds good. You've got to wonder tho how a Scotland under 21 keeper isn't even 2 choice the now yet Csaba reckons this kid is a future no 1?

Jamie Mac should be shipped out on loan again this month before his moral is completely ruined!

Charlie-Brown
Dont want to take this off topic from the OP, but have you seen much of Templeton this season, Charlie?

No I've only seen the youth games at Riccarton and some highlights on Hearts World but none of the reserves, I hope they can find somewhere in Edinburgh to play instead of Stirling - I did see Templeton briefly in the first team at Dunfy pre-season where he played left wing for the last 20 mins - was unlcky not to score when he got on the end of a cross and volleyed narrowly past.

I saw him last year in the youths - certainly got the skill to be a player - only concern is his physique but he's still only 19 so he might fill out in the next year or so, Eggert Jonsson & Driver have both bulked out a lot between now and when they first appeared in the team.

Archived