Memories of Love Street

grumpyjambo

watching pictures of the home team lying down to the away team in may 1986 and disgracing their sport and profession.

shaun.lawson

Goodbye and good riddance to a **** stain on Scottish football's underpants.

1986. Never forget.

4 things come to mind:

1) Got hit in the face by a coin at Love Street. An old 10p, was absolute agony - think I was only 13 or something and was about to cry when some guy shouted 'see even the Hearts lassies are tough', so I had to pretend it was OK.

2) Another time a St Mirren fan got a policeman to pass a red rose to me. Not quite sure why he had a rose at the game....

3) One time pre-match went into a boozer near the ground. Was heaving so one of the guys says lets go into the lounge so I followed them .... right into the middle of the mens toilets. Not nice at all, and everyone who saw me go in laughing at me on the way out.

4) Going top of the league 85/86 for Xmas.

So only one football related memory, not going to be missed.

The only positive memory I have of that absolute sty is a 6-0 win where JC scored a hat trick and Gary Mackay tried to score straight from kick off. THat's your lot.

Paisley Jambo
The only positive memory I have of that absolute sty is a 6-0 win where JC scored a hat trick and Gary Mackay tried to score straight from kick off. THat's your lot.

Ditto.

Also enjoyed last visit winning 1-0 with 10 men and watching the locals sulk off in disgust.

Never want Scottish clubs to go out of business, but I would be delighted if that disgusting institution went away tomorrow and stayed dead forever.

A disgusting bunch of vile, lay down *****.

Lived in Paisley for a while -- have to say it was okay -- ex was St Mirren fan though -- used to love hammering them and having the rest of the day to wind her up about it.

Loved standing in the 'north bank' whilst we hammered them and listening to the shouts all around -- even then we were not the most popular team :xmasgrin:

Hate the place. But my favourite memory

was once while working in paisley I got a taxi to my hotel passed we love celtic street, the driver uttered the imortal line ER YE GO, RA PASLEE SAN SEERO:xmasgrin:

Does nobody know anything?

Hearts claimed their 1958 and 1960 league titles at Love Street.

1958041204.jpg

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19580412.html#TableBefore

1960041601.jpg

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19600416.html#TableBefore

and we won the cup at darkhead but it doesnt make it a good place, good knowledge though. happy new year and keep the info coming this year:xmasgrin:

avhudtheteeshirt

Remember back in the 80s Hearts supporters coming into the ground at the corner opening a holdall and unfurling a huge maroon and white banner they then marched round the terracing and into the middle. Then appearing from the tunnel on other side of the ground a Police Inspector with braided hat walking straight over the pitch over the wall into the Hearts fans under the cover retrieving the banner back down the terracing over the track round the pitch dropping the banner in a puddle and walking over it onto the pitch then back up the tunnel. It was the one and only time I thought the Hearts fans were going to start a riot.

Only time I really really enjoyed a game there was the cup replay there with Spartans! Everyone in Mexican hats, giving Bullock pelters in their goals, it was a hoot. Really enjoyable football match, despite it being at Love Street!

Hated the place, freezing, minging place filled with minging locals.

Frank McGarvey faining injury to get Levein sent off, cheating git.

Vague memory of Chuck Berry & Husref Musemic scoring on a minging wet afternoon.

Paisley should be closed down, it serves no purpose.

In fantasy my fave memory of it would be....

piofirerages.jpeg

But unfortunatley the reality was it being constantly fecking freezing, crap lager and a fat guy that use to go around the away fans selling Macaroon bars and Fruitella's

Jam Tarts 1874

Ahhh - Paisley Gilmour Street. The "Elbow Room" pub (which Rod Stewart claimed to play doms in before Scotland matches but I never seen him on my 3 visits!) and the "hospitable" welcome from the locals - yes I will miss it in the same way that I miss sharing a bedroom with my bed-wetting brother!

Miller Jambo 60

What was that pub in the corner called before the new away stand was built.

Total mental place but a real pub.

Thats my memory.:laugh:

As a ball-boy, Hearts back then under Mercer would take two of you at a time to away games, a wee treat on the team bus.

Free tickets into the director's seats, free programme, pies, meet the players etc. Ibrox, Parkhead, all the big grounds.

I got Paisley.

Still, it was a great day, but the memory that sticks out wasn't meeting Robbo, JC etc, but the tannoy announcement asking for medics to head to the area outside the ground behind the goals as a fan had fallen off the wall.

Always wondered what happened.

What was that pub in the corner called before the new away stand was built.

Total mental place but a real pub.

Thats my memory.:laugh:

Stringfellows,mate.A pub 10 yards from the turnstiles is not to be sniffed at.It was a bit bananas though.

Archived