What are You Reading?

Legend Claws

Ivanauskas33

Born Standing up by Steve Martin.

Only read the first few chapters, but its really interesting so far. Just about how he got started in comedy and a bit about his family life.

Got Lenny Bruce's How to Talk Dirty and Influence People, ready to start when I finish it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Harry Palmer

At the moment I'm returning to the 'Bourne Trilogy' by Robert Ludlum for some relaxation/escapism. Read it a few years ago.

However, I also have to 'dip' into:'Counselling Skills for Health Professionals,' Burnard, P.

Along with 'Recovering Mental Health in Scotland,' using both I hope to write a short 2000 word essay.

May I also recommend, 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks or 'Fighter Boys' by Patrick Bishop. I understand he has also wrote a book about the 'Bomber Boys' which I've not yet read but I'm sure will be as respectful and as good as the one mentioned above.

I would also recommend 'War and Peace' by Leo Tolstoy, read it twice, probably need to read again. Very good.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is about to be started.

Just as soon as I can get off JKB...:laugh:

Okay - that's done.

Last couple of chapters read with a feeling of impending doom...and so it came to pass.

Only read it because 2 of my nephews at school recommended it to me (via their teacher).

What next?

Okay - that's done.

What next?

Give The Damned United a whirl.

Based around Brian Clough's 44 days at Leeds. Dirty Leeds. Dirty ****ing Leeds....

I'm flitting between "The Dice Man" by Luke Reinhart and "The Atrocity Archives" by Charles Stross.

Both are quite giid which surprised me to no end :)

Harry Palmer
Okay - that's done.

Last couple of chapters read with a feeling of impending doom...and so it came to pass.

Only read it because 2 of my nephews at school recommended it to me (via their teacher).

What next?

Depends what type of reading you enjoy?

I like what may be termed 'thrillers'? Tom Clancy ie Jack Ryan; I also enjoy WWII fiction/non-fiction. Sebastian Faulks is good hence why he has wrote a Bond novel.

'Sunset Song,' Grassic-Gibbon. Had to read it for my English Higher 1995/6, sure if I were to read it again I might understand it!

I urge you to read 'Birdsong' by said Faulks. Do it. DOOO IT.(sorry 1950's advert style interuppting or something!) Of course, if you haven't already!

Death list done now onto the next one in the series "Th soul Collector" and "do you think what you think you think?" for some deep philisophical trauma

Harry Palmer
Just finished reading Freakonomics.

read it at work on the 1st and 2nd when we were dead, very interesting.

I'd imagine a lot of people would find it interesting if you read it when you and another were dead whilst at work.. Or something.:tongue::laugh:

Far too many shandies; sorry.

Triptych by Karin Slaughter, have been asking for a sub forum for books on here for a while, surely if there is one for Games we can have one for books

Have you read many by Karin Slaughter Lou, Triptych is good but the Grant County Series are class

Myself, I am currently reading the new Dean Koontz book

n265175.jpg

Like most of his books, the Odd Thomas series are good reads too

The Book of General Ignorance.... By the Guys who brought us QI.

Very good. Makes me realise how very little we know about anything.

Also is a good argument settler in a number of matters, is immensley interesting and dispell a huge amount of myths. At one point it states that "common knowledge" is quite dangerous, as things that are common knowledge are more often than not, pretty wide of the mark.

Goose Baxter

Bobby Robson - Farewell but not goodbye

Got the book off a friend and it is a great read. Coming tomwards the end off it and will be gutted when its finished.

Stewart MacD

Conn Iggulden's "Lords of the Bow" and just finished "Warrior of Rome" by Harry Sidebottom.

Currently reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and finishing The Damned Utd.

After that I am going to read The Greatest Ever Season. Have also just ordered: The Real Mackay, The Art of War and Bringing Down the House: How 6 students took Vegas for millions (or something like that).

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Currently reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and finishing The Damned Utd.

After that I am going to read The Greatest Ever Season. Have also just ordered: The Real Mackay, The Art of War and Bringing Down the House: How 6 students took Vegas for millions (or something like that).

Sounds quite interesting that. Was the film 21 or whatever it's called based on that?

I'm reading The Damned Utd then may order Dave Mackays book.

Ross Kemp Gangs 2

read the first one and watched all the series so the wife got me this one at xmas :thumb:

9780446353205.jpg

Absolutely fantastic book. Really enjoy Nelson DeMille books, they're big books but really well written.

I'm flitting between "The Dice Man" by Luke Reinhart and "The Atrocity Archives" by Charles Stross.

Both are quite giid which surprised me to no end :)

Have to say that I thought that the dice man was rank rotten. Seems either you really enjoy or it hate it.

Have you read many by Karin Slaughter Lou, Triptych is good but the Grant County Series are class

Myself, I am currently reading the new Dean Koontz book

n265175.jpg

Like most of his books, the Odd Thomas series are good reads too

I have read all the Grant County books,loved them all, was devastated at the outcome at end of the last one, I think the next one is out this year:)

I have read all the Grant County books,loved them all, was devastated at the outcome at end of the last one, I think the next one is out this year:)

Aye, the other half wasn't too enamoured with it either

think the new one is due August September

There's another book out too which has some of the characters from Trytich in it, unsurprisingly thats a good read too

Give The Damned United a whirl.

Based around Brian Clough's 44 days at Leeds. Dirty Leeds. Dirty ****ing Leeds....

Finished that last month. A bit intense and diffucult to know how much of it is fact (FACT!) and how much is embellished heresay, although I suspect most is closer to the former than the latter.

Have just finished reading this:

51JrICcvQoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU02_.jpg

The location of the 'worst football club in Britain' is almost irrelevant - it falls into the category of 'what to read if you want to confirm that there is always someone worse off than yourself'. Also a great nostalgia kick for those of us who were adolescents in the late 60's and early 70's.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What do you all do with your books when you are finished with them?

I've got a big box of books that I'm never going to ****ing read again and don't know what to do with them!

Do you read books more than once? I don't think I could!

There's some books I could read a hundred times but with a lot I just put them in the charity shop after.

I've got a big box of books that I'm never going to ****ing read again and don't know what to do with them!

I've got a couple of fair sized piles of books growing, one next to my bed the other in a corner in the living room

Some I'll read again but I'm probably going to have to invest in a book case

Usually only read a book once, but I did read Catch 22 twice.

Just got back from a week in Lanzarote - weather wasn't the greatest, so I got through a couple of books that I picked up out of sheer curiosity.

"First Blood" by David Morrell - yes, it's "Rambo", but it is a MUCH better story than the film (and the first film was bloody good).....well worth reading.

and

"Tietam Brown" by Mick foley - yes, he used to be (might still be) a wrestler, but he's actually a pretty good writer too. Both funny, and moving. Probably worth looking at too.

The People's Chimp

I have recently developed the terrible habit of starting and reading numerous books at once, which leads to some of them being left to stew for quite some time, or indeed disappear, only to miraculously return when i look under my bed for a missing trainer/slice of pizza.

I'm currently reading a book called friction by joe stretch, which a friend recommended and gave to me. It attempts to be a cutting satire on the malaise of life as a self satisfied hipster/modern life in general/sexual urges/drink and drugs in manchester, but is really written by a self loving barclay's banker who lets it be known he is "in a band" and is less 'think piece' and more 'what a piece.' The sad thing about the book is that you know he is going to be sleeping with a large number of hotties off the back of having his onanistic pesh published.

I'm looking forward to starting michael herr's dispatches, have started the private memoirs and confessions of a justified sinner by hogg and re-read beckett's waiting for godot. I just bought his complete dramatic works so will probably read endgame at some point soon.

I also have a Carl Hiasen book which i'm looking forward to; if anyone likes christopher brookmyre and hasn't read Hiaasen, then you should check him out.

Sounds quite interesting that. Was the film 21 or whatever it's called based on that?

I'm reading The Damned Utd then may order Dave Mackays book.

Yeah. Just watched it the other day so have ordered the book. The guy that wrote it also has a couple of other books on Vegas. So could be quite interesting.

Also going to purchase a couple of books on counting cards. The film has left me intrigued as I just think it is a load of crap.

I guess some could be quite handy at relating back to but fortunately I don't have too many books so they are just lying around the house.

The Forgotten Man - A New History of the Great Depression by Amity Shlaes.

It is disturbing how much of the policy debate, policy actions etc in the current recession are following the path of the early 1930s America. Not quite enough economic 'meat' in the discussion for my liking but an interesting read.

Next up is a new translation of Victor Hugo's Les Miserables.

Stewart MacD

Warrior of Rome by Harry Sidebottom. Fiction in the Igguldden vein.

Every so often I have a cull of my books. I take each one and ask myself if I am ever likely to read it again. If the answer is no, it goes to the local library, or, if it's likely just to end up in the library's annual sale, I just put it on the wall outside our block. It disappears quickly.

"even a bad book is still a book and therefore sacred. what you should do is build your library to go and revisit later. I re read Lord of the rings for the first time in nearly 40 years recentlyLibrary1.gif

Midloth_Iain

Currently reading "Winter In Madrid". Fictional tale of british spies during Spanish Civil War. Quite good, if a little slow.

Next up - Gallipoli, by L.A. Carlyon

Midloth_Iain
Just about to start reading Fatherland by Robert Harris.

Great book. Also really enjoyed Harris' book Pompeii.

Archived