Player registration rules and refs reports.

Gambo

We have seen over the past few seasons that teams are punished for playing ineligible players (either not registered on time or sould have been suspended etc). Now as a game is officially started by a referee (an SFA appointment) you would think that he is happy that everything is in place for the game to kick-off.

Why do the SFA not send every referee the night before a game a list of all available players to both teams, he then checks the teamsheats given to him by the teams against that list of approved players?

Referees reports after games.

Why do referees have until the Tuesday(i believe) to submit their reports? This gives them plenty of time to view tv evidence etc and fabricate any story to cover any mistakes they may have made (does not work in Brines case due to his public show of what Zal was sent off for). The report should be handed to the SFA official who sits in the stands before the referee leaves the ground imo.

Drylaw Hearts
We have seen over the past few seasons that teams are punished for playing ineligible players (either not registered on time or sould have been suspended etc). Now as a game is officially started by a referee (an SFA appointment) you would think that he is happy that everything is in place for the game to kick-off.

Why do the SFA not send every referee the night before a game a list of all available players to both teams, he then checks the teamsheats given to him by the teams against that list of approved players?

Referees reports after games.

Why do referees have until the Tuesday(i believe) to submit their reports? This gives them plenty of time to view tv evidence etc and fabricate any story to cover any mistakes they may have made (does not work in Brines case due to his public show of what Zal was sent off for). The report should be handed to the SFA official who sits in the stands before the referee leaves the ground imo.

1) Surely it is the responsibility of the Club to ensure the players they send out to play are all eligible ?

2) Without knowing how long it takes to fill in a Refs report that is a difficult one to answer.

Its a good point, and one I've thought about before.

24 hours is more than enough time for a referee to submit a report.

Hearts should push for this when they (presumably) lobby the other clubs for a change in the appeals procedure.

The current rules gives the bent barstewards too much room to be dodgy.

Two very good points, Gambo.

But we all know that the SPL/SFA believe their ref's are so whiter than white that they'd never use the extra days to tweak their reports.

The problem is that the ref's have them by the short and curlies, because if the SFA do anything which the ref's take as a question on their ability they get all huffy in the press.

Drylaw Hearts

Hearts should push for this when they (presumably) lobby the other clubs for a change in the appeals procedure.

The Full SPL will have been shown at least twice within the 24 hours after the match.

If a Ref needs to be 'economical' with his report he would probably be able to do so by the time the National Lottery has been drawn.

The Full SPL will have been shown at least twice within the 24 hours after the match.

If a Ref needs to be 'economical' with his report he would probably be able to do so by the time the National Lottery has been drawn.

Very true.

Have them do it within 4 hours then.

Drew Busby !

Did the referees get their pay-rise for which they threatened strike action ? They were on 500 quid or so and wanted something nearer a grand if I recall correctly. Regardless, it's more than enough money to have their final emailed match-report at SFA headquarters by 9AM Monday morning at LATEST. Of course the SFA would never hold them to that, as there could NEVER be any question of wilful post-match (ahem) "reinterpretation" of "the facts" over a period of days because of TV/media/fans/player. Even more so when the official is a policeman... I mean a copper would never change his story to suit would they !

Drylaw Hearts
Very true.

Gambo's suggestion of having them fill in their Report before they leave the scene of their crime is the best idea but without knowing how much is involved in their Report, i don't know how realistic that actually is.

Very true.

Disagree,

Straight away and without opportunity to discuss fellow officials.

Gambo's suggestion of having them fill in their Report before they leave the scene of their crime is the best idea but without knowing how much is involved in their Report, i don't know how realistic that actually is.

I'd imagine that most, if not all, SPL grounds would have an office that could be made available for a ref to email a match report by 9 o'clock at night.

Its easy enough to set up and capture a report on any decent websites nowadays.

It might be a bit trickier (sp?) for evening kick-off's though.

1) Surely it is the responsibility of the Club to ensure the players they send out to play are all eligible ?

My point is that it is not the clubs who officially give the game the go-ahead, it is a Sfa appointed official. Surely he should not start a game if everything is not correct. They check the nets, they count the players, should they not also check that the players are eligible to play also.

I know the clubs themselves should check, but it is the SFA we are talking about. They shut their doors early and are not always available to check with. A very very simple solution to remove any doubt would be for the SFA to issue the refs with lists.

Drew Busby !

To be fair I don't expect a central-belt based referee to be hanging about Inverness or Aberdeen till 8PM or later. Any TV/media coverage on a Sunday would impact their report but I don't know how that can be avoided. Regardless, it's got to be sometime during Sunday or Monday 9AM at the latest. Anything beyond that is a mockery as they wait endlessly to test media and TV reaction to their performance and further adjust and tweak it to suit.

Drylaw Hearts
I'd imagine that most, if not all, SPL grounds would have an office that could be made available for a ref to email a match report by 9 o'clock at night.

Its easy enough to set up and capture a report on any decent websites nowadays.

It might be a bit trickier for evening kick-off's though.

Alcatraz_prison_cell.jpg

Drew Busby !

Surely the SFA is paid for, and composed of, it's members clubs at all levels across the country. It would hardly be controversial if it's senior clubs decided that certain service level agreements need to be agreed with the referees (who ultimately are funded by these clubs to a great extent). A basic service level agreeement would state that the referee report is securely emailed - or couriered - to SFA headquarters within a designated time period (24, 36, 48 hours ... whatever is appropriate). Clubs should be privy to whether the referee has adhered to this - and if not, why not.

The SFA functions like an organisation from 1909, certainly not 2009.

Archived