sports personality of the year

smike1874

get voting for chris hoy three golds is surely worthy of being voted best sportsman of the year. about time we had a jambo winning this though no doubt hamilton will win it cos he is english after all

get voting for chris hoy three golds is surely worthy of being voted best sportsman of the year. about time we had a jambo winning this though no doubt hamilton will win it cos he is english after all

can't remember ever rushing home to watch the cycling or swimming etc.

does anyone actually care who wins this award?

who said he wasn't? not me!

Well I fail to see the relevence of, 'though no doubt hamilton will win it cos he is english after all'

Whoever wins it will deserve it.

They've all done Great Britain proud.

Nice one.

I didn't bother watching it as i really thought the dull but very lucky Lewis Hamilton would get the vote with him being English and all.

WayneMarooney

Well done Chris Hoy! Brilliant achievement - first ever Jambo to be Sports Personality of the Year? Has to be!

Not the first time a cyclist has got in the way of a driver tho... :xmaswoot:

Stunned and delighted he pulled that off. I was expecting Lewis or rebecca but to have done something for the 1st time in hundred years surely means the right person won. Let's face even Jim Clark never won that award for some inexplicable reason.

as to pablo's comments ever since the games at meadowbank in 1970 when Sandy Gilchrist was the man velodrome cycling has always been good sport.

Does anyone know when he is supposed to come out at half time at Tynie yet? Thought we invited him a while back?

Got to be the 3rd at half time hopefully with Hearts 3 up and Hoy being wheeled out just as the methadone is wearing out in the away end

we all have our dreams :xmasgrin:

Big Team (Hoy) 1

wee team (murray) 0

Unfotunately (if you want to look at it that way) Murray will go on to win at least one tennis major and probaly with it a sports personality award.

His best days are ahead of him.

can't remember ever rushing home to watch the cycling or swimming etc.

does anyone actually care who wins this award?

wouldn't rush home to watch F1 either tbh.

its ****.

I did expect that he would win. Largely because he was the most successful member of a surprisingly successful Olympic team. Hard to argue with three gold medals.

Lewis Hamilton would have been a shoo-in last year if he had won the championship in his rookie year. And given how long it has been since a Brit won a tennis major (has a Scot ever won one? I'm not sure), Andy Murray would have had a strong case if he had won the US Open final. I'm sure he will win majors in the future, and good luck to him. (It amuses me a great deal that he refuses to suck up to the English public. Also, when he gets beaten, then I can think of him as a dirty Hibee).

I too was surprised he won but sensed from the warmth and enthusiasm of the audience's reaction that his was a popular victory.

Lewis Hamilton although he done brilliantly will certainly have more oppertunities to repeat his F1 Championship and will win it in the future. However winning 3 Olympic golds is quite an achievment and not something that happens often.

Well done to Chris Hoy.

Stunned and delighted he pulled that off. I was expecting Lewis or rebecca but to have done something for the 1st time in hundred years surely means the right person won. Let's face even Jim Clark never won that award for some inexplicable reason.

as to pablo's comments ever since the games at meadowbank in 1970 when Sandy Gilchrist was the man velodrome cycling has always been good sport.

I may be wrong here but Jim Clark died before this award was invented by the BBC. Now that man was a true great as judged by his peers, no one could come close to the man.

Went to Chirnside to see hiim after he won the F1 world title in 1960 something and also his funeral which I found incredible with the amount of wreaths etc. quite moving for a small boy.

Anyway back on topic well done Chris Hoy a superb achievement. I am amazed that Lewis did not win it however. I guess there are more cyclists than F1 fans out there.

Excellent and well desearved result

Had to think for ages what Ian Murray had to do with SPOTY :xmasunsure:

Silly me...........

I may be wrong here but Jim Clark died before this award was invented by the BBC. Now that man was a true great as judged by his peers, no one could come close to the man.

Went to Chirnside to see hiim after he won the F1 world title in 1960 something and also his funeral which I found incredible with the amount of wreaths etc. quite moving for a small boy.

Anyway back on topic well done Chris Hoy a superb achievement. I am amazed that Lewis did not win it however. I guess there are more cyclists than F1 fans out there.

I believe they gave the award to our Henry for knocking Ali down thou I could be wrong.

just done the wikipedia thing and here is a list of the previous winners and it started in 1954 so what do I know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year#List_of_winners

You now know that both Damon and Nigel have won it but not Jim Clark. I remember the disbelief that greeted the news of his death and although I never visited Duns till years later it was the first death that really registered with me other than my granny's when I was 4.

Just to reiterate I think the right person won it and not only was it hugely popular at the event he is one of us too. There have been too many of these awards that were just a carve up. Well done again Chris looking forward to you being at Tynie

Mac_fae_Gillie

Congrats to Chris Hoy..

think the award is fairly pointless

all the scots voted for CH

all the grandprix fans voted for LH

etc etc

all the Scots Grand prix fans voted twice

Thought that rebecca adlington was a the best to be honest,UK has done well

in cycling for the last few major events as in rowing and sailing but nothing in swimming for decades that I can remember.

If only she was a Jambo...

Archived