The New New Firm?

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

I watched the Dundee United and Hearts games today and something dawned on me, are we watching the emergence of a new group in the SPL. A group that is below the Old Firm but prepared to push them and fight each other for 3rd and 4th?

Both have good fan bases, strong young managers capable of creating strong teams for a few years, who appear to improve week after week. With enough belief and the right players they could narrow the gap between the Old Firm and the New New Firm.

No, the New Firm were so named because they actually won things.

Hearts: 2008/9 Big Cup winners.

Dundee United: 2008/9 diddy cup winners.

Sorted. :)

I watched the Dundee United and Hearts games today and something dawned on me, are we watching the emergence of a new group in the SPL. A group that is below the Old Firm but prepared to push them and fight each other for 3rd and 4th?

Both have good fan bases, strong young managers capable of creating strong teams for a few years, who appear to improve week after week. With enough belief and the right players they could narrow the gap between the Old Firm and the New New Firm.

I actually agree with you. I'm really looking forward to the game next week at Tynie because it's so well balanced, it's been ages since I really looked forward to a match where either team could win it, it's an important match where the result really matters and I think it's going to be a cracker because I can see us both going for it.

jamboinglasgow
We'll see after January I guess.

That's Hibs racked up another win as well.

as much as it pains me to say it, they are getting better at the moment, it was a good win last week. I do think they are not the level us and dundee united are but I think hibs and Aberdeen fill the level below us.

Guest juvehearts

i dont think their will ever be a new firm in scotland.

the uglies will always be the shark in the pond, because of the fan base.

dundee utd dont have the players or fan base to sustain a constent bombardment of 3rd place finishes, not hearts have that, were ALL too inconsitent.

the SPL is good for compettive football, i would say the 1st division is better as anyone can defeat anyone, which brings up the old argument why not a 16/18 team league.

going on results alone NOW the OF could would be either 2/3rd with AN other team top.

It'll never happen because the lesser teams like killie, falkirk, motherwell NEED the revinue from the OF just to survive in the game.

In order for scottish football to ever become a fair league clubs MUST merge for the good of the game, i mean take for example aberdeen & aberdeenshire.

if they had 2 clubs, aberdeen & Inverness, with Arbroath, Elgin ,Forfar & Peterhead merging They have 2 super clubs with a potential to dominate not just scottish football but european football.

then take the central belt, you maybe could manage to have 3/4 teams here, St Johnstone, a Dundee Team & 2 Fife Teams with the rest merging.

and Glasgow eaisly 3 teams here, the Of & one other of their choice with the rest merging to form a new club with the remaning fans.

over here in edinburgh as you were.

2 leagues with a pyramid system in place & see what happens.

its economical viaiable & would susain Scottish football & make it more compettive.

will it ever happen

NO.

something has to be done tho, im sure we will all agree.

juve

been thinking that this last week and hearts drawing at septic park adds to it. 3 times its been Glasgow vs Edinburgh - Glasgow has won 0 of them. Hibs and Hearts are in much better positions than Dundee United to close the gap on the old firm and its certainly getting smaller. If teams like Killie and motherwell etc... could start taking points off them as well, we might just see them getting hauled back. I'm not saying i expect either Edinburgh team to split the OF this season or the next but I think the gap will close over the next two seasons.

Dundee Utd's support is crap and in no way compares to ours IMO.

Dundee Utd's support is crap and in no way compares to ours IMO.

Everything about d.utd is crap compared to hearts.

Archived