Rangers Hoping To Cut Playing Squad

Commander Harris

This is a huge indicator of the failure of football clubs to diversify.

Rangers get 50000 through their gates, sell millions in merchandise, get a lion's share of Setanta and European revenues, bring in excellent transfer fees for a significant number of players and usually have decent cup runs, generating additional gate receipts.

Yet they haven't won this "diddy" league or picked up a significant trophy in 3 years.

The FACT is that traditional revenue streams make football clubs unprofitable and uncompetitive.

:ph34r::secret::bek035::doh::banghead::runaway::mystic:

Drylaw Hearts
What a silly post this is.

Of course we will try to sell players: there is a credit crunch. Apart from that we have ALWAYS been a selling club, selling our highest earners/best players eg Cameron, Niemi, Gordon, Dave Mackay, Alex Young and many others. Why should I apologise when it seems reality is just hitting you? How long have you been supporting Hearts or are you just brainless?

BUT we can only sell if we have a buyer so how could you prove who is wrong and who is right.

How can you be so certain though ?

Or are you simply.....

relying on hearsay, rumour, innuendo and old women's gossip

I'm begining to lose track of your point JamboAl - we both appear to pretty sure Hearts will sell players in January but you seem to be having a right old go at me for saying as such.

As for reality hitting home.......

It's not for me - reality is hitting home for all those that thought VR was going to continue to sign players on big wages aswell as those who thought we had no debt.

If you are able to cast your mind back over the past couple of years or so, I had the foresight to say that we couldn't afford players on salaries as big as Kingstons, I've also said we carry too many passengers and I always maintained we had debt regardless of the lies told by VR/RR.

It now appears the Club agrees with me (and many other clever Jambo's).

Talking about brainless....

How do we find out who is wrong or right ?

How about waiting until 1st February when the Transfer Window is closed ?

I would say that a pretty good time to judge what has went on in January.

Not exactly rocket science.

Make no mistake, the Huns (and Murray in particular) are in financial queer street.

Hearts and maybe one or two other clubs should really be pushing them harder for second place... they are there for the taking. The problem, sadly, is Hearts own well-documented off-the-field problems.

Charlie-Brown
All this talk of lots Clubs selling players, who will buy them?

Those in the bottom half of the Premiership who still have some money desparate to retain their Premiership status and also those in the top half of the Championship who still have funds and have their eyes on the Premiership gravy train.

Toxteth O'Grady
Other Clubs ?

I think it will be a quiet January for Transfers apart from at the very top European Clubs and Man City.

I think the SPL players will be a struggle to sell.

Toxteth O'Grady
Those in the bottom half of the Premiership who still have some money desparate to retain their Premiership status and also those in the top half of the Championship who still have funds and have their eyes on the Premiership gravy train.

Charlie Adam won't save anyone from the Premiership drop or get anyone promoted from the Championship

Fact End Off:xmasgrin:

Drylaw Hearts
I think it will be a quiet January for Transfers apart from at the very top European Clubs and Man City.

I think the SPL players will be a struggle to sell.

I think it will actually be quite busy.

Those Clubs at the top will buy players from further down the tree but for slighly less than the would have a year or so ago.

These sold players will have to be replaced and a chain reaction is underway.

We'll see a lot of nominal fee and loan deals but Clubs will have to sign in the hope of avoiding relegation and missing out on more money.

Toxteth O'Grady
I think it will actually be quite busy.

Those Clubs at the top will buy players from further down the tree but for slighly less than the would have a year or so ago.

These sold players will have to be replaced and a chain reaction is underway.

We'll see a lot of nominal fee and loan deals but Clubs will have to sign in the hope of avoiding relegation and missing out on more money.

We'll know for sure on Feb 1st but I won't be losing any sleep between now and then. Just hope it works out OK for us, 8 crap/fringe players out 4 quality first pick players in including a 40 goal a season man and I'll be happy:xmastongue:

Drylaw Hearts
We'll know for sure on Feb 1st but I won't be losing any sleep between now and then. Just hope it works out OK for us, 8 crap/fringe players out 4 quality first pick players in including a 40 goal a season man and I'll be happy:xmastongue:

:)

Make no mistake, the Huns (and Murray in particular) are in financial queer street.

Hearts and maybe one or two other clubs should really be pushing them harder for second place... they are there for the taking. The problem, sadly, is Hearts own well-documented off-the-field problems.

You never know how January will go. What if the sale of Kingston puts us in the clear and we get lucky with a couple of signings? We might find that goalscorer we want. Feck the doom and gloom.

All this talk of lots Clubs selling players, who will buy them?

Buyers? Hmm...

Celtic

Stoke

Newcastle

Sunderland

Wolves

Birmingham

Sheff Utd

QPR

In Rangers' case particularly, remember the McLeish connection at St Andrews. And of course, there's always Wigan for them to rely on - especially if Heskey is sold for a decent amount.

How can you be so certain though ?

Or are you simply.....

I'm begining to lose track of your point JamboAl - we both appear to pretty sure Hearts will sell players in January but you seem to be having a right old go at me for saying as such.

As for reality hitting home.......

It's not for me - reality is hitting home for all those that thought VR was going to continue to sign players on big wages aswell as those who thought we had no debt.

If you are able to cast your mind back over the past couple of years or so, I had the foresight to say that we couldn't afford players on salaries as big as Kingstons, I've also said we carry too many passengers and I always maintained we had debt regardless of the lies told by VR/RR.

It now appears the Club agrees with me (and many other clever Jambo's).

Talking about brainless....

How do we find out who is wrong or right ?

How about waiting until 1st February when the Transfer Window is closed ?

I would say that a pretty good time to judge what has went on in January.

Not exactly rocket science.

My point is that by inference you are saying that Hearts will sell their top players and Rangers are unlikely to do so (see below).

Rangers will be getting rid of a load of fringe players and it's unlikely they'll sell ANY of their top players.

The same cannot be said for us.

I'm saying there is no difference. If either received a good bid for their players they would sell and Boumsong, Cuellar etc are prime examples. What is NOT rocket science is that it is highly likely that we will sell because we have ALWAYS been a selling club and the credit crunch will not help. It seems you are trying to make a negative out of something that has always been the case.

You are indeed very clever having the foresight to say we were overpaying salaries but I'm sure everyone, including Romanov, knew that. It's my view, rightly or wrongly, that he speculated to accumulate hoping a good Euro run would pay dividends. We did not manage that and we have been on the run ever since. If we are not going to go under we must sell/cut costs: that is inevitable and believe me so do Rangers who suffered a hefty financial blow at the hands of Kaunus.

Archived