Homophobia in football

DaveCTFC87

I share communal showers with men at the gym all the time. Probably some are gay. As of yet none have attempted to force themselves on me. I'll keep you informed though.

So you would be quite happy to have a shower with the bufty's after a game then?

The PC brigade is the sole reason why this country is falling apart,

Pathetic really!

A degenerate jambo :xmastongue:

Why wouldn't you be so keen on showering with gay men?

I'd guess that you're probably more "curious" than intrigued. :xmasgrin:

On a serious note. Homophobia is every bit as disgusting and ignorant as racism - the two are almost always found side by side in the makeup of the most degenerate members of society. People who resort to hatred rather than understanding really are intellectually and emotionally well below the rest of normal society.

It's a great shame that the football supporting world is full of these people.

It would be nice if we could get to know more about our footballing heroes in the same way we hear about celebrities, but most footballers have to keep their lives very private because there is always some moron out to attack them. Pathetic really.

Whilst I agree with your overall sentiment, I think that's a bit harsh. A lot of homophobia stems not from ignorance, but a genuine inability to understand why someone 'would want to be gay'.

Whilst I agree with your overall sentiment, I think that's a bit harsh. A lot of homophobia stems not from ignorance, but a genuine inability to understand why someone 'would want to be gay'.

Is that not ignorance? Jon Stewart asked on the Daily Show last night "at what age did you decide not to be gay?" Meaning if for you it wasn't a choice, what makes you think it was for those who are gay?

Miller Jambo 60
Wee bit off topic but I was playing at Powerleague Sighthill one evening and had went off for a few mins rest and was standing next to the other teams subs. I thought I was hearing things when one of them turned to the other and asked if he was still seeing that guy. The boy that was asked the question was totally nonchalont about it and told his teammate - yes and he was the best ride he had ever had.

Strangely enough (or is it) the whole team played in Hibs tops and every one of them was garbage.

Have you recovered mate.

Sounds like a bad situation.

Have not got a prob with this as long as they dont give it look at me .

Each one to their own.

You say that as if it's an illness or an unfortunate condition? I'd say that was pretty ignorant, wouldn't you?

scott herbertson
Exactly, his ball control skills and tackling from behind are simply aspects of the modern game.

SUSS i don't like you or anything you stand for

but I burped my american hot pizza up at that

respect

sh

I doubt that any of my gay friends would describe it as a choice. Kinda like wishing you were black, as far as society is going to treat you.

Ewan

So you would be quite happy to have a shower with the bufty's after a game then?

Pathetic really!

Totally bizarre comment. I take it all women you ever come into contact with secretly want you to pump them? :confused:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Pathetic really!

I take great heart from the fact the ones on this thread who are doing most of the gay-bashing are the ones having the most trouble with language. So, in short: homophobic = thick and tolerant = brainier.:xmasgrin:

That's a good article. I haven't read Le Saux's book but it's no surprise even that short segment confirms Fowler is such a tw@t.

Homophobia is rife in football. In twenty years people will even look back on our "Hibees are gay" chant the same way we look on bananas being chucked at Mark Walters.

I take great heart from the fact the ones on this thread who are doing most of the gay-bashing are the ones having the most trouble with language. So, in short: homophobic = thick and tolerant = brainier.:xmasgrin:

That's a good article. I haven't read Le Saux's book but it's no surprise even that short segment confirms Fowler is such a tw@t.

Homophobia is rife in football. In twenty years people will even look back on our "Hibees are gay" chant the same way we look on bananas being chucked at Mark Walters.

Probably. But being absolutely 110% honest, the word 'gay' to me doesn't always refer specifically to homosexuality. It's also an adjective to describe a set of specific characteristics and behaviours....some of which just happen to also be particular to the Leithers. :biggrin:

Ambiguity of any sort doesn't excuse the part of it which may refer to homosexuality, but the meaning of the word isn't that straightforward these days. My friends tell me I'm gay all the time and they're not referring to my sexuality. Well, I presume they're not anyway....

But if it's genuinely offensive to some people, it's probably wrong regardless of any alternative meaning or usage.

Probably. But being absolutely 110% honest, the word 'gay' to me doesn't always refer specifically to homosexuality. It's also an adjective to describe a set of specific characteristics and behaviours....some of which just happen to also be particular to the Leithers. :biggrin:

Ambiguity of any sort doesn't excuse the part of it which may refer to homosexuality, but the meaning of the word isn't that straightforward these days. My friends tell me I'm gay all the time and they're not referring to my sexuality. Well, I presume they're not anyway....

But if it's genuinely offensive to some people, it's probably wrong regardless of any alternative meaning or usage.

All true. I'm very, very gay (as my gay sister always tells me) - even though I'm not at all.

In twenty years people will even look back on our "Hibees are gay" chant the same way we look on bananas being chucked at Mark Walters.

Don't know any homosexual and/or hobo that is offended by our 7 nations chant. Most think it's top banter.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I've never actually asked a gay person whether they think it's offensive or not. I think it's continued use is probably getting a bit tiresome now, although surely most people would agree it was a bit of harmless fun as a one-off at the wee team semi.

I guess it's a bit unfortunate the word 'gay' is transforming into a word that also means 'lame', 'rubbish' etc.

Although all of this middle-class agonising over subtle distinctions is nothing compared to what Fowler did. Tw@t.

I've never actually asked a gay person whether they think it's offensive or not. I think it's continued use is probably getting a bit tiresome now, although surely most people would agree it was a bit of harmless fun as a one-off at the wee team semi.

I guess it's a bit unfortunate the word 'gay' is transforming into a word that also means 'lame', 'rubbish' etc.

Although all of this middle-class agonising over subtle distinctions is nothing compared to what Fowler did. Tw@t.

Thing is though, Hibs fans refer to us as 'pink'. What's the difference?

Thing is though, Hibs fans refer to us as 'pink'. What's the difference?

I don't think there's a difference, neither do I think it's a problem. It's banter, we've called them smelly ****s for years, they've called us worse. I'm far from being a homophobe or racist etc. but I do think there's a place for gutter humour and it is on the terraces (sad glint in my eye) on a Saturday afternoon.

I don't think there's a difference, neither do I think it's a problem. It's banter, we've called them smelly ****s for years, they've call us worse. I'm far from being a homophobe or racist etc. but I do think there's a place for gutter humour and it is on terraces (sad glint in my eye) on a Saturday afternoon.

I agree.

Either have I, but I might ask a friend and see what he think. I'd hazard a guess that he'll laugh or look at me like I have two heads, but I'll do it anyway. :)

I don't agonise over it, I know what I mean by it and have nothing on my conscience in that respect. As far as banter goes, it's quite innocent really. But if I thought anyone was truly offended by it, I'd probably see things differently.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Either have I, but I might ask a friend and see what he think. I'd hazard a guess that he'll laugh or look at me like I have two heads, but I'll do it anyway. :)

I don't agonise over it, I know what I mean by it and have nothing on my conscience in that respect. As far as banter goes, it's quite innocent really. But if I thought anyone was truly offended by it, I'd probably see things differently.

Yeah, that was poorly worded. I don't either. What I meant was, discussing whether or not the 'Hibees are gay' chant is offensive is letting real homophobes like the ones in Le Saux's article escape the criticism they deserve.

I know for a fact at my football team's christmas night out tomorrow, that I'll get called gay by at least 10 of them.

I'm not gay, nor do I believe that any of them are homophobic.

It's just chat (stupid as it may be), but not malicious in anyway.

Besides, I can't help being camp and flamboyant.

:tongue:

What I meant was, discussing whether or not the 'Hibees are gay' chant is offensive is letting real homophobes like the ones in Le Saux's article escape the criticism they deserve.

I've just read Le Saux's article and to be honest, his reaction to the horror that he might be thought of as gay is easily the most homophobic comment on this thread. Fowler is undoubtedly an erse, but Le Saux doesn't exactly cover himself in glory.

I've just read Le Saux's article and to be honest, his reaction to the horror that he might be thought of as gay is easily the most homophobic comment on this thread. Fowler is undoubtedly an erse, but Le Saux doesn't exactly cover himself in glory.

:Agree:

Ditto Lennox Lewis, who'd try and beat up opponents who questioned his sexuality at pre-bout press conferences. Meanwhile, David Beckham or Freddie Ljungbjerg regard being gay icons as huge compliments - which as responses go, is a heck of a lot more mature.

:Agree:

Ditto Lennox Lewis, who'd try and beat up opponents who questioned his sexuality at pre-bout press conferences. Meanwhile, David Beckham or Freddie Ljungbjerg regard being gay icons as huge compliments - which as responses go, is a heck of a lot more mature.

Poof! :)

Ian Roberts was Australian Rugby league's best player in the nineties- and hard man (sic) and came out in 1995. I doubt if anyone would go up to him in the pub and call him a "poof".

Ian Roberts was Australian Rugby league's best player in the nineties- and hard man (sic) and came out in 1995. I doubt if anyone would go up to him in the pub and call him a "poof".

Surely he'd be in a wine bar?

:xmasgrin:

After a little disagreement about gay footballers i went looking to find out if Graham Le Saux was actually gay ( i thought he wasn't) .....turns out he wasn't, i found this extract from his autobiography and it made me think how f****g hard it must of been for him and any other players who are either rumoured to or actually gay.

Justin Fashanu was a sad example of how hard it would be to actually come out in public and try to keep playing football , did he get alot of stick in his short spell at Tynie?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article2419068.ece

Generally it depends which era you are from as to what attitude you have.

When I was a kid (50's and 60's) there were only "queers" and "poofs" and certainly it was a single sex issue i.e male. There was no such thing as a lesbian! Billy Connolly once said he must be a lesbian as their interest are the same as his...

I recall most having no tolerance for these people, in fact giving the unfortunates a beating was a "sport" of sorts in the 60's, and certainly no footballers in that category. One of my earliest memory was a photo of Jimmy Wardhaugh and Freddie Glidden having a "gay time" at the Assembly Rooms. I have always objected to the selection of the word "Gay", surely a more modern word to describe is appropriate? Everybody is out the closet now. I have friends who are openly AC/DC and friends with children who have same sex partners. My Father for one will be rotating in his grave at the thought of "poofters" playing for Hearts! If I sound homophobic you are right unfortunately. At 60 which I am it is such a hard concept to come to terms with (same sex, sex). I remember reading once that "Fash was tackled by a Hibs player who went down on him". Are you still allowed to make fun of these situations or is it all PC bollocks now?:xmascrazy:

Is that not ignorance? Jon Stewart asked on the Daily Show last night "at what age did you decide not to be gay?" Meaning if for you it wasn't a choice, what makes you think it was for those who are gay?

You say that as if it's an illness or an unfortunate condition? I'd say that was pretty ignorant, wouldn't you?

I doubt that any of my gay friends would describe it as a choice. Kinda like wishing you were black, as far as society is going to treat you.

Ewan

I deliberately used that turn of phrase to highlight how some people think. I know 2 or 3 blokes who are intelligent, reasonable people who aren't malicious in anyway, but (and not for want of trying) they simply can't handle the thought of male homosexuality. I wouldn't put these people on a par with closet racists or biggots.

I remember hearing songs about Fashanu both from the terraces (away end, although I suspect they were probably sung by some in the home end at Tynecastle when he played for Airdrie) and at school. The two versions as I recall went "He's black, he's gay, he plays for Airdrie, Fashanu, Fashanu" and "He's gay, he's bent, his arse is up for rent, Fashanu, Fashanu".

I remember he scored a winner against Airdrie and the topical joke in the fanzines of the day was:

Hearts Spade Clubs Diamonds

brellierlegend
Yes he did.

I heard people saying things about his colour on numerous occasions, about how there shouldn't be a "c**n in maroon".

Disgusting.

He was keek though.

He definately got abuse. I remember chants of He's gay, he's bent, his arse is up for rent Fashanu!

Pretty harsh really.

He definately got abuse. I remember chants of He's gay, he's bent, his arse is up for rent Fashanu!

Pretty harsh really.

So did Ian Durrant and Peter Grant.

Are you telling me.... it.... it was TRUE!!!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groatallar

Wee bit off topic but I was playing at Powerleague Sighthill one evening and had went off for a few mins rest and was standing next to the other teams subs. I thought I was hearing things when one of them turned to the other and asked if he was still seeing that guy. The boy that was asked the question was totally nonchalont about it and told his teammate - yes and he was the best ride he had ever had.

Strangely enough (or is it) the whole team played in Hibs tops and every one of them was garbage.

Have you recovered mate.

Sounds like a bad situation.

Have not got a prob with this as long as they dont give it look at me .

Each one to their own.

Tackles from the back were a worry!

Seriously though it didn't bother me and I found it amusing. I was more riled at them playing in Hibs strips but as I said, they were crap and we always won easily.

I've never actually asked a gay person whether they think it's offensive or not.

its no secret the majority of my mates are gay men, and i have discussed this a few times

most of them are cool, and find it funny, in fact has been known to join n. be great if he wasn't a hun.

1 of me oldest and dearest mates though does find it offensive. he grew up in a tiny wee place in the welsh valleys and battled his gayness for years, trying desperately not to be. while he is very comfortable in his own skin these days i think there is still a part of him that remember the bullying aspect of it though, and it does irk him to this day

on a side note

you've all heard that mcfadden was supposedly pumping, getting pumped by will young for a spell??

its no secret the majority of my mates are gay men

Would you class yourself as a fag hag Bev? :xmaswoot:

he grew up in a tiny wee place in the welsh valleys and battled his gayness for years

I think I may have seen him on tv. Is he bald and a touch overweight....?

It's worth bearing in mind that the homophobia in football doesn't just affect players; it affects managers too. Dario Gradi is gay. But in the mid to late-90s, he was the subject of a vicious whispering campaign which was quite disgusting, and naturally led him to steer well clear of applying for higher profile jobs. Sadly, I doubt it would be any different for anyone else either.

I think I may have seen him on tv. Is he bald and a touch overweight....?

very funny

take a pop at me all you like, but don't you dare try and take the pish out my mates.

he's a million times more of a man than you'll ever be!

Toxteth O'Grady

1 of me oldest and dearest mates though does find it offensive. he grew up in a tiny wee place in the welsh valleys and battled his gayness for years

Bev and her mate:xmastongue:

daffyd.jpg

he's a million times more of a man than you'll ever be!

You're just being silly now Bev. :xmasoh:

I P Knightley
I reakon if he had not taken his own life Fashanu would have exposed several other high profile footballers as homosexual.

Somebody would have paid him big bucks for a story like that.

You're assuming that other high profile footballers would have come out the closet to or with Fashanu? Not necessarily so.

I share communal showers with men at the gym all the time. Probably some are gay. As of yet none have attempted to force themselves on me. I'll keep you informed though.

That would probably be because you're ugly.

Would you class yourself as a fag hag Bev? :xmaswoot:

about as much as you consider yourself a bigot

So, Bev, you're saying that you are a fag hag but you're not about to admit it? :xmascrazy::xmascrazy:

So, Bev, you're saying that you are a fag hag but you're not about to admit it? :xmascrazy::xmascrazy:

i'm not a fag hag, my boys are my fag bangles

hows about THAT for spin :xmasbabe:

Archived