Homophobia in football

DaveCTFC87

After a little disagreement about gay footballers i went looking to find out if Graham Le Saux was actually gay ( i thought he wasn't) .....turns out he wasn't, i found this extract from his autobiography and it made me think how f****g hard it must of been for him and any other players who are either rumoured to or actually gay.

Justin Fashanu was a sad example of how hard it would be to actually come out in public and try to keep playing football , did he get alot of stick in his short spell at Tynie?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article2419068.ece

After a little disagreement about gay footballers i went looking to find out if Graham Le Saux was actually gay ( i thought he wasn't) .....turns out he wasn't, i found this extract from his autobiography and it made me think how f****g hard it must of been for him and any other players who are either rumoured to or actually gay.

Justin Fashanu was a sad example of how hard it would be to actually come out in public and try to keep playing football , did he get alot of stick in his short spell at Tynie?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article2419068.ece

I dont recall Fash getting any stick at hearts.

I dunno how many men he ploughed. Was CC's open when he was here?

I dunno how many men he ploughed. Was CC's open when he was here?

:)

He actually stayed round the corner from the laughing duck so that may have been his 'local'

Miller Jambo 60

Its the straight footie players in the showers that have to watch.:)

:)

He actually stayed round the corner from the laughing duck so that may have been his 'local'

The Laughing Duck used to be a great pub, with the beer keller in the basement. Litre bottles when everywhere else sold pints.Then the gay mob took over and it went down hill fast. They even had a cut out of a policeman at the door WTF was that all about?

I P Knightley
After a little disagreement about gay footballers i went looking to find out if Graham Le Saux was actually gay ( i thought he wasn't)

I can tell you're new to JKB.

The correct course of action is not to go off to Wikipedia or the Telegraph but to come on here and start a thread named something like, "Graham Le Saux - does anyone know?"

You'd have your answer in no time!

I can tell you're new to JKB.

The correct course of action is not to go off to Wikipedia or the Telegraph but to come on here and start a thread named something like, "Graham Le Saux - does anyone know?"

You'd have your answer in no time!

Do you have a cousin, IVANAWFYCHESTYKOV?

Fashanu was gay.

He was black.

He was English.

He played in Scotland in the late 80s (or was it early 90s?) and I don't remember him getting stick for any of these things during his spell at Hearts.

He was a rubbish footballer though.:xmassick:

Fashanu was gay.

He was black.

He was English.

He played in Scotland in the late 80s (or was it early 90s?) and I don't remember him getting stick for any of these things during his spell at Hearts.

It was the early 90's.

Scored the winner against hibs though.

Fashanu was gay.

He was black.

He was English.

is ther something you want to get off your chest? i've never been scared of my house

Fashanu was gay.

He was black.

He was English.

Yes he did.

I heard people saying things about his colour on numerous occasions, about how there shouldn't be a "c**n in maroon".

Disgusting.

He was keek though.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Yes he did.

I heard people saying things about his colour on numerous occasions, about how there shouldn't be a "c**n in maroon".

Disgusting.

He was keek though.

I heard that kind of p*sh last time at Easter Road. (Not about JF though obviously.)

Yes he did.

Disgusting.

He was keek though.

I don't recall much of that but I was thinking more along the lines of the mass abuse from the terracing that other black players got in the past.

Also, IIRC, did he not score his only goal with a deflected cross against Partick?

I don't recall much of that but I was thinking more along the lines of the mass abuse from the terracing that other black players got in the past.
Fair do's

Also, IIRC, did he not score his only goal with a deflected cross against Partick?

Yes!

jamboinglasgow

reminds me when i was listenin to 5live this week and they had a debate about gay men being able to come out in rugby. One guy phoned in and was talking about gay footballers, then said, "you should get Justin Fashinu on so he can talk about his experences on coming out as a footballer. I'm sure he might be listening."

to which the shocked presenter went, "is this a kind of sick joke."

the guy didn't realise what happened to justin.

1-0 Tynecastle. (Fash the Bash). Mwet him in "The Lane" one night..... good lad.

Fashanu?

Cannae remember that.

Gay footballers ?? in my time of watching Scottish fitba (since 1966) only player I have heard of who was reputed to be gay whilst still playing (apart from fashanu), was Hans Gillhaus of Aiberdeen, wonder if he found it easy to find a similarly oriented ram for his pleasure?

Good player as I recall, who moved on to Ipswich.

Any other contenders for fairy fitba players?

1-0 Tynecastle. (Fash the Bash). Mwet him in "The Lane" one night..... good lad.

Did he not set a young Alan Johnston up for the goal your thinking of?

I could have sworn it was Fash but, you could easily confuse the two......

August 1993 IIRC.

Fashanu never scored against Hibs.

I P Knightley
Do you have a cousin, IVANAWFYCHESTYKOV?

Indeed I do.

And just down the road, there's a family that picks on us - the Benelyns. A rough crew :)

Tiberius Stinkfinger
Gay footballers ?? in my time of watching Scottish fitba (since 1966) only player I have heard of who was reputed to be gay whilst still playing (apart from fashanu), was Hans Gillhaus of Aiberdeen, wonder if he found it easy to find a similarly oriented ram for his pleasure?

Good player as I recall, who moved on to Ipswich.

Any other contenders for fairy fitba players?

Hibs FC.

Fans & supporters all gay,the lot of them.

Always have been always will be,gay,the lot of them.......Fact

Yes he did.

Are you sure about that?

I think I saw every game he played for Hearts and never heard that rubbish. In earlier times yes I heard that rubbish but never directed at him. For an average kind of player he was, as I remember, amazingly popular.

Aye, you could be right. Did he set him up at the McLeod St end? Maybe that's what I'm thinkin of. memory not what it used to be.....

Aye, you could be right. Did he set him up at the McLeod St end? Maybe that's what I'm thinkin of. memory not what it used to be.....

I can't remember him being involved in the Allan Johnston goal, which was scored at the School end. All I remember about that goal was 'Magic' cutting in from the wing, almost slipping, and then lashing it high into the net. As I say, I think it was August 93. I can't even recall if he played in that game.

I think Fashanu only scored once and as a previous poster stated, It could well have been against Partick Thistle.

Perth to Paisley

Ginger guy from Thistle - John Craig - brother of Tommy.

Signed at the same time as Dennis McQuadw

No idea or care about the accusation though.

MackaysCentreSpot

The sexuality of a footballer or any other sportsman or anybody in fact has nothing to do with anyone else.

Has your sexuality got anything to do with anyone else?

No of course not.

If you had a striker scoring 25 goals one season and he came out as gay and only scored 15 goals the following season would that be because he is gay?

No of course not.

And here's me thinking we are living in a civilised society.......sorry a so called civilised society.

Scored the winner against hibs though.

Alan Johnston got that goal (a fine effort - cutting from the left to hammer the ball into Leighton's top left-hand corner). Fashanu was unlucky not to have at least one goal that day as Leighton practically kept them in it.

That game aside, the injuries sustained over the years showed that Fashanu was not likely to regain the heights he hit at Norwich.

The sexuality of a footballer or any other sportsman or anybody in fact has nothing to do with anyone else.

No of course not.

If you had a striker scoring 25 goals one season and he came out as gay and only scored 15 goals the following season would that be because he is gay?

No of course not.

And here's me thinking we are living in a civilised society.......sorry a so called civilised society.

There is a big difference between being blatantly homophobic and a vague intrigue into which players are beaver leavers.

Guest S.U.S.S.

No of course not.

No of course not.

Exactly, his ball control skills and tackling from behind are simply aspects of the modern game.

No of course not.

No of course not.

Jeez calm down ducky,it' a bit of banter.

There is a big difference between being blatantly homophobic and a vague intrigue into which players are beaver leavers.

I'd guess that you're probably more "curious" than intrigued. :xmasgrin:

On a serious note. Homophobia is every bit as disgusting and ignorant as racism - the two are almost always found side by side in the makeup of the most degenerate members of society. People who resort to hatred rather than understanding really are intellectually and emotionally well below the rest of normal society.

It's a great shame that the football supporting world is full of these people.

It would be nice if we could get to know more about our footballing heroes in the same way we hear about celebrities, but most footballers have to keep their lives very private because there is always some moron out to attack them. Pathetic really.

A gay footballer would be slated. It would take a big name to come out and admit it. Then a few more could follow.

Until that happens though, no danger.

Plus, the gays do ballet, don't they?

I reakon if he had not taken his own life Fashanu would have exposed several other high profile footballers as homosexual.

Somebody would have paid him big bucks for a story like that.

lost in leith
Yes he did.

Are you sure about that?

I think I saw every game he played for Hearts and never heard that rubbish. In earlier times yes I heard that rubbish but never directed at him. For an average kind of player he was, as I remember, amazingly popular.

News to me too. Stood in the Shed in those days and can't recall that kind of comment. I do remember a Hibby I worked with reciting a version of the Hearts song about him with lines like "the talk of the toun is the c00n in maroon" and lots of stuff about AIDS.

A gay footballer would be slated. It would take a big name to come out and admit it. Then a few more could follow.

Until that happens though, no danger.

Plus, the gays do ballet, don't they?

I can't remember where it was, but I read that Fashanu is the only professional footballer in the world to have ever publicly come out. If that's true, it's a sad sad thing.

I don't know how different things would really be now, if they were different at all. I can't see life being easy for any gay footballer. Homophobia may be frowned upon in most circles but even if they didn't get it in the neck from colleagues and fans, the papers would probably make their lives an utter misery.

I'd guess that you're probably more "curious" than intrigued. :xmasgrin:

On a serious note. Homophobia is every bit as disgusting and ignorant as racism - the two are almost always found side by side in the makeup of the most degenerate members of society. People who resort to hatred rather than understanding really are intellectually and emotionally well below the rest of normal society.

It's a great shame that the football supporting world is full of these people.

It would be nice if we could get to know more about our footballing heroes in the same way we hear about celebrities, but most footballers have to keep their lives very private because there is always some moron out to attack them. Pathetic really.

So you would be quite happy to have a shower with the bufty's after a game then?

The PC brigade is the sole reason why this country is falling apart,

Pathetic really!

A degenerate jambo :xmastongue:

Wee bit off topic but I was playing at Powerleague Sighthill one evening and had went off for a few mins rest and was standing next to the other teams subs. I thought I was hearing things when one of them turned to the other and asked if he was still seeing that guy. The boy that was asked the question was totally nonchalont about it and told his teammate - yes and he was the best ride he had ever had.

Strangely enough (or is it) the whole team played in Hibs tops and every one of them was garbage.

Wee bit off topic but I was playing at Powerleague Sighthill one evening and had went off for a few mins rest and was standing next to the other teams subs. I thought I was hearing things when one of them turned to the other and asked if he was still seeing that guy. The boy that was asked the question was totally nonchalont about it and told his teammate - yes and he was the best ride he had ever had.

Strangely enough (or is it) the whole team played in Hibs tops and every one of them was garbage.

Pink Hibs supporters club?

So you would be quite happy to have a shower with the bufty's after a game then?

The PC brigade is the sole reason why this country is falling apart,

Pathetic really!

A degenerate jambo :xmastongue:

Or more accurately, political correctness is a major contributary factor as to why most members of the human race are evolving while neanderthals like you are not.

I think this thread goes some way to showing what a hard time any footballer would have who announced he was gay. Personally I find all the 'Hibees are gay' chat really cringe worthy. But then I'm sure I'm one of the PC brigade and am responsible for ruining the country.

To answer the question above, I'd have no problem having a shower with a team that included a gay footballer. If I did it would say a lot more about me than them.

I remember hearing songs about Fashanu both from the terraces (away end, although I suspect they were probably sung by some in the home end at Tynecastle when he played for Airdrie) and at school. The two versions as I recall went "He's black, he's gay, he plays for Airdrie, Fashanu, Fashanu" and "He's gay, he's bent, his arse is up for rent, Fashanu, Fashanu".

Archived