Still not sure if fining clubs for frozen pitches is the answer ...

jambovambo

It's the final day of the season: Hearts and Aberdeen are battling for the final UEFA Cup place. Aberdeen have a goal difference advantage of one, because they were granted a 3-0 win at Motherwell after having their game there postponed. We're all aware of and absolutely furious about this - but nothing can be done, and Aberdeen make it into Europe instead of us.

That's what I mean by those clubs not fortunate enough to be the away team in such a scenario being penalised! It goes against everything that a league competition involves.

I think the point is that if you introduced such a draconian punishment, the clubs would ensure that it never had to be invoked.

It's still wrong, JV - because if the game was rearranged, Motherwell won and took two points, we'd still have benefited in a manner wholly unfair to the other sides in the league. Similarly, if another side gained an extra point and made it into Europe at our expense, how would you feel?

So what's your answer ?

Do nothing?

Fine 'em - if so, how much? "Means tested?"? Pro rata related to the size of the travelling support?

Get them to reimburse all away travelling supporters (with receipts)?

Time was, there would be a clarion call to supporters "come and help clear the pitch of snow, to ensure the game goes ahead ..." - ah those were the days (goes all misty-eyed)

3314885.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=11B127B063386F61FA8121B97D475654A55A1E4F32AD3138

So what's your answer ?

Do nothing?

Fine 'em - if so, how much? "Means tested?"? Pro rata related to the size of the travelling support?

Get them to reimburse all away travelling supporters (with receipts)?

See post 4. :) 'Small fine' = 10K. 'Large fine' = 50K, then 100K.

I think the point is that if you introduced such a draconian punishment, the clubs would ensure that it never had to be invoked.

I bet surprising postponements would still happen - mainly because clubs are so hard up.

netherleejambo
No, you could be onto something ... but with the following tweaks.

E.g. play Saturday's postponed game at Tynecastle tomorrow night, and make the Motherwell home game (scheduled for 4th March) the away game at Motherwell. Existing tickets still valid for the March game.

Advantages :

A game between the two teams gets played quickly.

The disadvantaged team (Hearts) gets gate money, and home advantage.

Disadvantage:

The disorganised team (Motherwell) has "our" ticket moeny for a long time.

It is over this period now (say, until mid-Feb) that issues arise. If a game is postponed late in that period, yeah, there might be a problem with H and A games post-Top Six split, but let's hope that doesn't last forever anyway.

Thats assuming that Hearts have handed over the ticket money - maybe it went towards paying the players wages last Friday!

Motherwell play Kilmarnock on Monday, presumably on Setanta. One solution would be to make them play the rearranged games next midweek as well.

I bet surprising postponements would still happen - mainly because clubs are so hard up.

Then the SPL would - reluctantly - have to award the match to the away team. That would concentrate the minds.

It seems to me that there are 2 issues here. Firstly, there is the punishment of the club who cancelled the game and secondly, there is the issue of the fans (of both teams) who have been inconvenienced and are potentially out of pocket.

I would have thought that a deduction of points deals with the first. This could be on a sliding scale for persistent offenders. It would be quite wrong to award the other team points as they would be gaining an advantage over the other 10 teams in the league which is hardly merited.

The second one needs a change in the terms and conditions for the paying customer. Since games are mostly all ticket, it should be reasonably easy for the guilty club to be obliged to repay the cost of tickets and/or the provable costs of travel.

It's the final day of the season: Hearts and Aberdeen are battling for the final UEFA Cup place. Aberdeen have a goal difference advantage of one, because they were granted a 3-0 win at Motherwell after having their game there postponed. We're all aware of and absolutely furious about this - but nothing can be done, and Aberdeen make it into Europe instead of us.

That's what I mean by those clubs not fortunate enough to be the away team in such a scenario being penalised! It goes against everything that a league competition involves.

I first muted the point of forfeit and I still think this is the best way. However Shaun, I did not suggest a made up score being awarded. Just the points. No reason to make a guess at what the score MIGHT be.

I feel an ultimately pointless and futile letter to Gordon Smith, he of the hair transplant, coming on ...

Know what ?

I cannae be @rsed.

And, as someone pointed out, it shoudl be to Lex Gold or someone.

Archived