Hearts and paying bills

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Just thought I?d pass on a story I heard last night that puts into context some of the late payment/court case stuff that?s been flying around recently. It sure doesn?t look like a new thing.

My old man started his own business at the end of last year. I was talking with him about it last night and he laughingly told me the only company he has had any problems getting money from is Hearts.

He did a job for them in January (a tiny job ? 80 pounds worth). He didn?t get paid until May and that was only because they wanted him to do another job for 40 pounds. Seven months later he still hasn?t received the 40 pounds. He?s phoned a couple of times and he just gets fobbed off with ?you?re on the list?, ?we?ll get back to you? etc. etc. He says it?s not even worth chasing it up further. Hearts asked him to do another job a few weeks ago (slightly bigger ? 500 pounds) but he had to refuse because nobody could tell him when he?d be paid.

Now, I don?t know much about running a business but I don?t actually think it is that common to simply refuse to pay suppliers for such long periods of time.

Anyway, just thought I?d pass it on for anybody interested.

Francis Albert

I think a lot of business owners would be interested in your old man's secret for running a business which, with just a single exception, has no poblems in getting bills paid on time.

I think a lot of business owners would be interested in your old man's secret for running a business which, with just a single exception, has no poblems in getting bills paid on time.

Thought that also...amazing! Or just stirring the ****:mw_rolleyes:

Thought that also...amazing! Or just stirring the ****:mw_rolleyes:

I thought so to, "man with large spoon".;)

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

They probably would.

I just always think it's interesting to pass on first-hand stories.

When Romanov arrived he said he wanted support from the local business community. It appears we now have a stream of angry small business owners who can't get any money. It's my view that football clubs should be courting local business, not driving them away.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Sigh.

Here we go...

Not stirring anything.

Just thought some people who post on here are interested to hear stories about Hearts.

Just thought I’d pass on a story I heard last night that puts into context some of the late payment/court case stuff that’s been flying around recently. It sure doesn’t look like a new thing.

My old man started his own business at the end of last year. I was talking with him about it last night and he laughingly told me the only company he has had any problems getting money from is Hearts.

He did a job for them in January (a tiny job – 80 pounds worth). He didn’t get paid until May and that was only because they wanted him to do another job for 40 pounds. Seven months later he still hasn’t received the 40 pounds. He’s phoned a couple of times and he just gets fobbed off with “you’re on the list”, “we’ll get back to you” etc. etc. He says it’s not even worth chasing it up further. Hearts asked him to do another job a few weeks ago (slightly bigger – 500 pounds) but he had to refuse because nobody could tell him when he’d be paid.

Now, I don’t know much about running a business but I don’t actually think it is that common to simply refuse to pay suppliers for such long periods of time.

Anyway, just thought I’d pass it on for anybody interested.

Your old man is quite right, it isnt normal to continually be taken to court as all the hearts apologists claim.

Yes fair enough the odd invoice goes missing, gets misplaced or simply slips through and may become overdue, however, as soon as attention is drawn to it a copy is requested and the problem solved.

I work for an organisation of the same turnover as hearts however with over 100 different premises.

We in the over year I have worked there have never been taken to court, yes occasionally invoices go missing as said, or we have a few reminders due to going a few days overdue however it takes a lot for companies to serve court papers.

Most bigger companies will assume 28 days, and most people dont worry until 60-90 days overdue.

Of course companies like Tesco are an exception, but lets not kid ourselves hearts purchase ledger is anywhere near as powerful or complex.

The problems we experience can be sorted very easily with simple systems and software.

Its time someone gets their act together and ensures appropiate systems are in place for paying our bills and that sufficient monies are in the bank account.

Its completely embarassing and will damage us operationally as suppliers will cut us off or refuse to do further work.

to add we also deal with credit control, and the only, problems we experience are with 2 bit companies where the owners tend to do everything and not have dedicated finance functions. Most reputable and decent size companies pay up as required, the occasional one who doesnt pay up when you start issuing statements, or making phone calls.

They probably would.

I just always think it's interesting to pass on first-hand stories.

When Romanov arrived he said he wanted support from the local business community. It appears we now have a tream of angry small business owners who can't get any money. It's my view that football clubs should be courting local business, not driving them away.

Where does it say,we have a stream of small businesses chasing us?

Pure **** stirring!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Where does it say,we have a stream of small businesses chasing us?

Pure **** stirring!

I guess we maybe have different interpretations. I think a handful of companies taking a larger company to court at the one time for non-payment of tiny sums is a stream.

I think Hearts should be embracing the local business community. I don't think they do that. I knew we paid bills late. I was simply surprised last night to hear just how late.

If "*****-stirring" is the only point you have to make maybe you should just find another thread right now...

Your old man is quite right, it isnt normal to continually be taken to court as all the hearts apologists claim.

Who has taken us to court , i mean actually in front of a judge rather than the threat of court action?

Who has taken us to court , i mean actually in front of a judge rather than the threat of court action?

Serving court papers is taking us to court imo, so thats 4 people this week.

Nelly Terraces

Nothing wrong whatsoever with the OP's contribution. If you have a problem with it, don't read it. Pretty simple really.

Please also note, other HMFC related forums are available.

Cheers.

Serving court papers is taking us to court imo, so thats 4 people this week.

I'll ask again, how many of those companies (these 4 and the others beforehand) have made it in front of a judge?

I'll ask again, how many of those companies (these 4 and the others beforehand) have made it in front of a judge?

I don't know

But you don't need to have been in front of a judge to have taken us to court, having to be served to pay your debts, even if it doesnt get to the judge is legal action and disgraceful.

I bet the amatuer lawyers/credit controllers on this thread who are so adamnant its normal wouldn't be so forgiving if it was their money/hearts money being withheld.

15 companies have threatened court action in 2008, not taken us to court s othats ok then to you and the rest of the vlad loving apologists eh :evilno:

None, because we've been in the wrong every time and have settled on the steps of the courthouse every time.

If the technicality that none have made it as far as a judge makes you feel better then good for you.

15 companies have threatened court action in 2008, not taken us to court s othats ok then to you and the rest of the vlad loving apologists eh :evilno:

Who said it was okay?

None, because we've been in the wrong every time and have settled on the steps of the courthouse every time.

If the technicality that none have made it as far as a judge makes you feel better then good for you.

Why would you feel better if it did get as far as the judge?

I don't like the way we hold our payments to the last jap, but that is the way VR conducts his business and has done since he came to the Hearts. He aint alone in doing it when in control of Hearts either and he aint alone in doing it in the big wide world also.

Why would you feel better if it did get as far as the judge?

I don't like the way we hold our payments to the last jap, but that is the way VR conducts his business and has done since he came to the Hearts. He aint alone in doing it when in control of Hearts either and he aint alone in doing it in the big wide world also.

So it's policy not to pay for work done, rather than it being down to financial problems?

Nothing wrong whatsoever with the OP's contribution. If you have a problem with it, don't read it. Pretty simple really.

Cheers.

I liked reading it, I also liked replying to it, even simpler really.:mw_rolleyes:

So it's policy not to pay for work done, rather than it being down to financial problems?

It is a policy to pay for work done, but as late as possible (as told by Charlei Mann) it seems. That dosent mean we don't have money problems. It should also be noted that all those companies seemed to have eventually been paid, that does not make it right either.

It's unfortunately standard practice now for larger businesses to use smaller ones as cash flow. Basically they see it as better for them having the cash in the bank than covering bills on time. They know the smaller company is unlikely to either want to take the larger one to court in case they don't see any further business from them, or are unable to finance the costs of doing so.

Hearts are doing nothing more than any other businesses out there at the moment.

I, however, think those that run that sort of business are utter *****. They can afford to p*ss around, but the smaller business gets shafted. Mate of mine nearly had to lay off staff chasing money on a big five figure job, simply because the client could not be arsed putting a cheque in the post.

Not every company has an accounts team or finance dept. Romanov should be ashamed of himself, with Hearts being integral to the local Gorgie community.

Anyone thinking otherwise needs to pull their collective heads out of the Lithuanian arsehole.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
It is a policy to pay for work done, but as late as possible (as told by Charlei Mann) it seems. That dosent mean we don't have money problems. It should also be noted that all those companies seemed to have eventually been paid, that does not make it right either.

Not the one in the first post. Six months late and still no sign of it. It's only 40 pounds. It's pretty embarrassing, to be honest.

It must be damaging day to day also, everyone knows how hard it can be getting good tradesmen who do quality work but are available quickly.

I wonder how many of these hearts have managed to lose by not paying them until 6 months down the road.

Francis Albert

It is 15 too many, but seems to me an encouragingly small number if this is the total for all of 2008 to date. Given how common late payment is in business generally (the OP's dad an exception obviously) and given that the constant rumours of Hearts' impending administration or liquidation must make creditors twitchy, I'd have expected a larger number in the circumstances.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
It is 15 too many, but seems to me an encouragingly small number if this is the total for all of 2008 to date. Given how common late payment is in business generally (the OP's dad an exception obviously) and given that the constant rumours of Hearts' impending administration or liquidation must make creditors twitchy, I'd have expected a larger number in the circumstances.

:5643:

The People's Chimp

Cheers.

Spot on. He's absolutely right.And iirc was involved in a hearts' fanzine, so you cannot doubt his intentions.

there is nothing normal about hearts current business practice, no matter how the ostriches want to dress it up.

Sigh.

Here we go...

Not stirring anything.

Just thought some people who post on here are interested to hear stories about Hearts.

Thanks for the info.

It is getting annoying on here now that when anyone posts anything that can be perceived as negative they are criticised.

Guest jambomickey

how many other football clubs do you know of who don't pay bills/players etc on time?

Just thought I?d pass on a story I heard last night that puts into context some of the late payment/court case stuff that?s been flying around recently. It sure doesn?t look like a new thing.

He did a job for them in January (a tiny job ? 80 pounds worth). He didn?t get paid until May and that was only because they wanted him to do another job for 40 pounds. Seven months later he still hasn?t received the 40 pounds. He?s phoned a couple of times and he just gets fobbed off with ?you?re on the list?, ?we?ll get back to you? etc. etc. He says it?s not even worth chasing it up further. Hearts asked him to do another job a few weeks ago (slightly bigger ? 500 pounds) but he had to refuse because nobody could tell him when he?d be paid.

Now, I don?t know much about running a business but I don?t actually think it is that common to simply refuse to pay suppliers for such long periods of time.

Anyway, just thought I?d pass it on for anybody interested.

I am also self employed and did a job for Dunfermline FC just over a year ago and it took me six months to get my money out of them and even then they were not happy a being pushed for payment.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
I am also self employed and did a job for Dunfermline FC just over a year ago and it took me six months to get my money out of them and even then they were not happy a being pushed for payment.

Interesting. It seems some other clubs need to get their houses in order.

Charlie-Brown
how many other football clubs do you know of who don't pay bills/players etc on time?

Livingston for starters mickey but numerous football clubs have paid late or not at all in some cases, when money is tight debtor days increase.

Francis Albert

I don't pay much attention to other football teams. All I said was that, in Hearts circumstances, the number applying to the courts (if correct) over the whole of 2008 is (IMO) encouragingly small, for the reasons I stated.

Livingston for starters mickey but numerous football clubs have paid late or not at all in some cases, when money is tight debtor days increase.

80 quid ffs! Surely we're not that skint! There are too many of these stories flying about for it all to be made up. It wouldn't be totally surprising if The Romanovs only plan to get Hearts out of debt was to stop paying invoices. There are a number of factors which have contributed to Hearts being percieved around the UK as a joke club and this is just one of them.

Nah.....they'll get offered hospitality packages as full and final payment.

boabyarsebiscuit

Do Real Madrid pay their bills on time?

Pretty soon they won't. After all they copied the ultra successful Romanov model with "no manager" (Bernd Schuster is no manager).

It's normal.

Having claims raised against you in a court affects your credit rating whether they are settled before judgement or not. Do a Companies House credit check on any UK company and you can see how many claims have been raised in courts. However, the pertinent question is, should Hearts care? As a subsidiary of a foreign company they really don?t have to worry a jot about their credit rating (except that it will make HBOS refuse extended overdraft facilities for wages glitches...). Other than this is just doesn?t matter. Business is business, ie not personal, and the "embarassment" of JKB drama queens over Hearts late payment of bills will not bother UBIG at all - thus, no comment this time out.

Many companies exceed their credit terms and slow pay. Check out the way BT or Scottish Power hammer their customers with late payment charges if they miss their reminder by just a couple of days. That is an effort to make you give them control over your payment by setting up a direct debit. Other companies are different. Supermarkets are habitual slow payers and they take longer to pay small suppliers than they do large suppliers ie no regard or sympathy for the little guy! M&S is one of the worst slow payers on the high street, it doesn?t mean they have no money.

Sigh.

Here we go...

Not stirring anything.

i heard a similar story in robbos but it was jst alot of bull****

Francis Albert
Thanks for the info.

It is getting annoying on here now that when anyone posts anything that can be perceived as negative they are criticised.

I think it is in the nature of this sort of message board that anyone who posts anything that can be perceived as negative OR positive invites criticism, or at least comment.

I get annoyed at this oft-reopeated image of a few intrepid critics of the regime bravely fighting against an army of Vlad-apologists and Vlad-lovers shouting them down at every opportunity. It's not the JKB I read.

It wouldn't be totally surprising if The Romanovs only plan to get Hearts out of debt was to stop paying invoices.

3 points yesterday and you're back on, eh?

How would not paying invoices get Hearts out of debt? Do tell.

One of my mates was the area sales manager for a stationery firm that supplied a number of the SPL sides and SFL with their stationery. According to him - almost all of them were late payers and threats of court actions were not at all uncommon. Taking things to the edge seems to be thought of as good business practice these days, rather for having reputation for paying on time. Just a sign of the times I suppose.

Drylaw Hearts

You mean it isn't obvious ?

I think it is in the nature of this sort of message board that anyone who posts anything that can be perceived as negative OR positive invites criticism, or at least comment.

I get annoyed at this oft-reopeated image of a few intrepid critics of the regime bravely fighting against an army of Vlad-apologists and Vlad-lovers shouting them down at every opportunity. It's not the JKB I read.

I couldn't agree more!

The self-righteousness of the "accusers" is nauseating at times!!!

Vlad apologists are about as rare as the lesser-spotted spit spider of Alfred E Neuman fame!!!

On the subject of the debt, two points:

1 Try getting paid in time, or anything near it, by the government for work carried out under the normal terms of business!!!

2 It is a disgraceful way of doing business, whether its Hearts or the NHS!!!

That was my point ;) I wouldn't trust The Romanovs to make a cake never mind manage a mulit-million pound business. They're half baked brain farts being put into practice are precisely why Hearts are insolvent.

Francis Albert
That was my point ;) They're half baked brain farts being put into practice are precisely why Hearts are insolvent.

I am not sure what this sentence means but if it is criticising "half baked brain farts" it seems unwise.

I am not sure what this sentence means but if it is criticising "half baked brain farts" it seems unwise.

Sorry, i forgot that saying bad things about Uncle Vlad upsets the Apologists. I'll just say reverse that.

Vladimir Romanov is a brilliant man, with lots of intelligent, well thought out ideas. Oh and his PR skills are 'above reproach'.

Better? :D

Archived