Norwich v Ipswich Oo aar derby........

Chris Evans

I aaume you're not talking about Goss, who was very good for Norwich.

So I think I'm stumped, unless you can offer a clue?

Also signed by JJ; played in the same season as Goss.

Yep. Absolute trainwreck of a footballer. I'm JJ's biggest fan - but I could've told him how that one'd work out! As could both of you, of course. :)

Guess The Crowd

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sKrGdY6VeAI

From the year I became hooked on Norwich City as a 12 year old.

Hopefully, not too irrelevant for the other 99.999% of Hearts fans either - look out for a Hearts legend scoring in a 5-0 win, with the opposing goalie being one in a long line of Hibs duds........

Darren Beckford :)

Damn it!! Had him pictured but didnt want to say 'the coloured guy'!!

He was Eartha Kitt. One of Jims very few mistakes.

Nearly on a par with Mr Petric.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sKrGdY6VeAI

From the year I became hooked on Norwich City as a 12 year old.

Hopefully, not too irrelevant for the other 99.999% of Hearts fans either - look out for a Hearts legend scoring in a 5-0 win, with the opposing goalie being one in a long line of Hibs duds........

Great video! The club released a vid about the Boys of '72 a few years back: did you manage to get a copy? It makes terrific viewing. Geoffrey Watling is, surely, the greatest man in the club's whole history; Dave Stringer isn't far behind either. And I've wished for years and years we could appoint another Saunders-type character: there's so much soft-centredness and complacency about the club nowadays, but without the champagne football of Bond, Brown, Stringer or Walker, it just isn't justified.

The season after promotion, Norwich beat Palace in a winner-takes-all relegation decider at Carrow Road. That game, along with Old Trafford '67, is one of the two I most wish I'd had the chance to see myself (I wasn't alive then, of course!). 2004/5 should have been a repeat of 1972/3 - same teams involved in the fight too - but we blew it, and still haven't recovered. Incidentally, below is the game which got me hooked on the Canaries:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/495723/millwall_vs_norwich_city_1989/

Guess The Crowd
Great video! The club released a vid about the Boys of '72 a few years back: did you manage to get a copy? It makes terrific viewing. Geoffrey Watling is, surely, the greatest man in the club's whole history; Dave Stringer isn't far behind either. And I've wished for years and years we could appoint another Saunders-type character: there's so much soft-centredness and complacency about the club nowadays, but without the champagne football of Bond, Brown, Stringer or Walker, it just isn't justified.

The season after promotion, Norwich beat Palace in a winner-takes-all relegation decider at Carrow Road. That game, along with Old Trafford '67, is one of the two I most wish I'd had the chance to see myself (I wasn't alive then, of course!). 2004/5 should have been a repeat of 1972/3 - same teams involved in the fight too - but we blew it, and still haven't recovered. Incidentally, below is the game which got me hooked on the Canaries:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/495723/millwall_vs_norwich_city_1989/

Haven't got the video, but just found that on youtube tonight.

I've definitely seen that Fleck goal before, but what a brilliant game that looked!

Lots of highs and lows, as with any team I guess - I remember a superb, successful late run for promotion in 81/82, then Coventry in 84/85 winning their last 3 games against teams who had nothing to play for (including champions Everton) to relegate Norwich, who had finished their fixtures.

I also remember the Palace game in 73 you refer to, and going back to the clip from 72, the great Duncan Forbes (who seems to have played his entire career in England) sounded as though he might have come from the Edinburgh area originally - don't suppose anyone knows?

I was at university in Norwich at that time and went to the Den to watch that very game. All the Norwich fans were in the corner and we were pelted throughout by coins, bottles, and rocks, and the police never lifted a finger or a culprit. It was absolutely unbelievable and the welcome committee outside, an hour after the final-whistle, was intent on wishing us a fond farewell.

I was at university in Norwich at that time and went to the Den to watch that very game. All the Norwich fans were in the corner and we were pelted throughout by coins, bottles, and rocks, and the police never lifted a finger or a culprit. It was absolutely unbelievable and the welcome committee outside, an hour after the final-whistle, was intent on wishing us a fond farewell.

I'm sure they were! :eek: Just watching the footage, you can get a sense of how mental that place was - and while the New Den's not a patch on the old version for fearsomeness, it's not somewhere I ever plan on watching Norwich.

Haven't got the video, but just found that on youtube tonight.

I've definitely seen that Fleck goal before, but what a brilliant game that looked!

Lots of highs and lows, as with any team I guess - I remember a superb, successful late run for promotion in 81/82, then Coventry in 84/85 winning their last 3 games against teams who had nothing to play for (including champions Everton) to relegate Norwich, who had finished their fixtures.

I also remember the Palace game in 73 you refer to, and going back to the clip from 72, the great Duncan Forbes (who seems to have played his entire career in England) sounded as though he might have come from the Edinburgh area originally - don't suppose anyone knows?

84/5 was a scandal! There was a Guardian blog a week or two back featuring the "Six Worst Footballing Injustices", and Norwich's fate that season was included: combined with Heysel costing us our European place, it must've been horrendous. Several Everton players against Coventry had been drinking heavily the night before the game, by the way.

You have to say, though, that it ultimately proved a blessing: relegation ushered in the most successful period the club's ever known or is likely to know. It's hard to believe how good we were in the late 80s and early 90s: Gunn, Bruce, Watson, Townsend, Fleck, Gordon, Sutton, Fox, Phelan, Putney, Crook, Bowen, Culverhouse... will we ever see their like again? :sad:

You have to say, though, that it ultimately proved a blessing: relegation ushered in the most successful period the club's ever known or is likely to know. It's hard to believe how good we were in the late 80s and early 90s: Gunn, Bruce, Watson, Townsend, Fleck, Gordon, Sutton, Fox, Phelan, Putney, Crook, Bowen, Culverhouse... will we ever see their like again? :sad:

You forgot Rosario;)

You forgot Rosario;)

Ah yes - Robert Rosario. The club went through a phase where we kept getting it slightly wrong. We were sponsored by a large financial institution based in Norwich. No, not that one. The Norwich and Peterborough Building Society. We signed an ageing, experienced top flight player named Gary. No, not that one. Gary Megson. And we signed Robert Rosario when, surely, the manager thought we were getting Romario instead! :)

Ah yes - Robert Rosario. The club went through a phase where we kept getting it slightly wrong. We were sponsored by a large financial institution based in Norwich. No, not that one. The Norwich and Peterborough Building Society. We signed an ageing, experienced top flight player named Gary. No, not that one. Gary Megson. And we signed Robert Rosario when, surely, the manager thought we were getting Romario instead! :)

Not sure they got it wrong, as Terry Butcher forked out 600k to take him to Coventry. I think the proprietors in Tombland were sadder to see him leave than those in the Barclay. I think he thought he was Andrew Ridgeley:mw_rolleyes:

Archived