Norwich v Ipswich Oo aar derby........

Chris Evans

Not sure how much of a derby this is in terms of distance between clubs but should be worth a watch.

Hopefully an Ipswich win,as i couldnt bring myself to cheer on a team that play in yellow and green.

Not sure how much of a derby this is in terms of distance between clubs but should be worth a watch.

Hopefully an Ipswich win,as i couldnt bring myself to cheer on a team that play in yellow and green.

Huge derby AP - have been at one (I was only about 10 though!)

40 miles between the Fine City and an small, irrelevant railway siding you pass through en route to Norwich station (signs on Ipswich platform reading "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"). I think it's the biggest geographical distance in any UK football derby - but don't be fooled. We really, really don't like each other - and the problem with two such placid, easygoing fanbases is far too many seem determined to disprove this whenever we meet for an Old Farm game.

I hope for the best, but fear the worst. On The Ball, City!

Huge derby AP - have been at one (I was only about 10 though!)

When was that - and can you remember who won?

40 miles between the Fine City and an small, irrelevant railway siding you pass through en route to Norwich station (signs on Ipswich platform reading "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"). I think it's the biggest geographical distance in any UK football derby - but don't be fooled. We really, really don't like each other - and the problem with two such placid, easygoing fanbases is far too many seem determined to disprove this whenever we meet for an Old Farm game.

I hope for the best, but fear the worst. On The Ball, City!

Can we expect dear old Delia to be nuggets on the pitch doing her bit at half time if its not going to plan?

Bet shes hitting the sherry big time the now,to calm her nerves.

Always had a bit of a soft spot for Ipswich as they're my dad's English team plus could never want a team with green in their colours to do well.

C'mon the blues.

Can we expect dear old Delia to be nuggets on the pitch doing her bit at half time if its not going to plan?

Bet shes hitting the sherry big time the now,to calm her nerves.

Hopefully not. The sooner the mad old bat sells up, the better. :mad:

When was that - and can you remember who won?

Carrow Road in the mid late 80's?

Also seen Norwich v Wednesday around that period.

Carrow Road in the mid late 80's?

Also seen Norwich v Wednesday around that period.

Hmm. Maybe we won if it was around that time? The biggest East Anglian derby ever was the 1985 Milk Cup semi-final: 0-1 in the first leg at their place; 2-0 to us at ours, with Steve Bruce taking us to Wembley with an 87th minute header. :)

Always had a bit of a soft spot for Ipswich as they're my dad's English team plus could never want a team with green in their colours to do well.

C'mon the blues.

Yellow is the colour... ;)

Hmm. Maybe we won if it was around that time? The biggest East Anglian derby ever was the 1985 Milk Cup semi-final: 0-1 in the first leg at their place; 2-0 to us at ours, with Steve Bruce taking us to Wembley with an 87th minute header. :)

Was defo after 85 dude. For the life of me, cant remember who won.

Was defo after 85 dude. For the life of me, cant remember who won.

But there were no derbies between 85 and 92!

Thank Christ for that! I've found a stream with the excellent Peter Brackley commentating, so can turn that Ipswich ***** Bryan Hamilton off.

Mmmmmm

Maybe I never seen a derby then. Its a bit confusing as used to play in a cup in Great Yarmouth every Easter for about 4 years called "The Canary Cup"

Remember being toured around...

Ipswich ground

Norwich ground

Wednesdays ground (on the way down one year, was the best one)

Norwich v Owls was sure. Must have got the derby game mixed up.

ps

Lee Chapman wore cowboy boots - something that was pretty rock n roll for a group of 10 year olds to see.

I seem to remember a meeting in the old Full Members Cup during that period.

I seem to remember a meeting in the old Full Members Cup during that period.

You're quite right! I just checked: 88/9: Ipswich 1-0 Norwich (I suspect we had bigger things on our mind at the time, though - like chasing the league title!); and 90/1: Norwich 2-0 Ipswich (Gordon, Fleck). Never mind the Full Members' Cup, though - bring back the Screen Sport Super Cup, I say! :)

Off the bar. Norwich.

Clingan's our best player by some distance. And as you'll have seen, the refs down here are just as bad... :mw_rolleyes:

You're quite right! I just checked: 88/9: Ipswich 1-0 Norwich (I suspect we had bigger things on our mind at the time, though - like chasing the league title!); and 90/1: Norwich 2-0 Ipswich (Gordon, Fleck). Never mind the Full Members' Cup, though - bring back the Screen Sport Super Cup, I say! :)

no, the Milk Cup when a Gordon Chisholm og won us it :D

ooooh so close for Norwich there.........

Half time, even steven. Good from us towards the end, but I'm still feeling queasy - Ipswich look a more compact, coherent side when breaking, while we're more direct. First goal wins I reckon.

Pretty rubbish 1st half - Norwich the better team.

Usually the Old Farm derby is better than this.

Check our league positions mate. Both East Anglian sides haven't been this bad since the 1950s I think!

Gooooaaaaallllll!!!!!

Super Crofty - that more than makes up for his miss at Stamford Bridge two seasons ago, I'd say.

Gooooaaaaallllll!!!!!

Cheers ref! LOL!

Let's all laugh at Ipswich

La la la la

La la la la

Guess The Crowd
Gooooaaaaallllll!!!!!

Cheers ref! LOL!

La la la la

La la la la

Well Shaun, having followed Norwich's fortunes since 1972, one of today's 2-0 home victories heartened me greatly. Sadly, I think you'll be pleased by both of them:evilno:

Well Shaun, having followed Norwich's fortunes since 1972, one of today's 2-0 home victories heartened me greatly. Sadly, I think you'll be pleased by both of them:evilno:

:biggrin:

I'm never gonna live it down, am I? :eek:

Deserved win for Norwich. Liked the look of the Chelsea loanee Bertrand again. Lita is a cracking signing for Norwich too. Caused us no end of problems last week.

;) They were certainly better than last Saturday.

:biggrin:

I'm never gonna live it down, am I? :eek:

So,are you pleased with both?? Or just the one? We deserve to know;)

Deserved win for Norwich. Liked the look of the Chelsea loanee Bertrand again. Lita is a cracking signing for Norwich too. Caused us no end of problems last week.

;) They were certainly better than last Saturday.

Trouble is, Lita will be off back to Reading shortly; and Bertrand to Chelsea. And others too: I can't remember if it's seven or eight loans we've got, but they're all scheduled to return - and there is no money at all available for replacements.

Have you seen our record against Wednesday lately, by the way? I don't think we've beaten you since 01/2! :eek: This game was rather fun though (sorry about the crap music!):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eq-E2lx67Gk

So,are you pleased with both?? Or just the one? We deserve to know;)

I'm delighted about Norwich's win. I'm completely nonplussed about Hibs-Celtic: I didn't care what happened, basically. Though as I posted the other day, I'm bored witless with Celtic's dominance, mainly because they're such an underwhelming side; and however ugly Rangers' football might be, would prefer them to win the league this year. Simply because it'd break up the monotony a bit!

I'm delighted about Norwich's win. I'm completely nonplussed about Hibs-Celtic: I didn't care what happened, basically. Though as I posted the other day, I'm bored witless with Celtic's dominance, mainly because they're such an underwhelming side; and however ugly Rangers' football might be, would prefer them to win the league this year. Simply because it'd break up the monotony a bit!

Didnt know that Hoolahan played for Norwich. Was impressed with him at Livvy and even more so at Blackpool. How is he doing at Norwich? And do you think he regrets taking the step down from Blackpool?;)

Guess The Crowd
Trouble is, Lita will be off back to Reading shortly; and Bertrand to Chelsea. And others too: I can't remember if it's seven or eight loans we've got, but they're all scheduled to return - and there is no money at all available for replacements.

Have you seen our record against Wednesday lately, by the way? I don't think we've beaten you since 01/2! :eek: This game was rather fun though (sorry about the crap music!):

Shaun,

Was that Bowen, the Welsh left back, that scored that cracker for the first?

Triavia qestion for the others (too easy for you Shaun, you're not allowed to participate) the ex-Hearts player spotted in that clip was?

Shaun,

Triavia qestion for the others (too easy for you Shaun, you're not allowed to participate) the ex-Hearts player spotted in that clip was?

Didnt see it but im guessing either Goss or Fashanu. Or Brellier!!!

Didnt know that Hoolahan played for Norwich. Was impressed with him at Livvy and even more so at Blackpool. How is he doing at Norwich? And do you think he regrets taking the step down from Blackpool?;)

The thing is, he was a big fish in a small pond at Blackpool. Now he's a smaller fish in, er, a slightly bigger pond at Norwich. He's been very in and out so far: Roeder bought him to be Huckerby's replacement, but that's a tough, tough act to follow. Hopefully he'll come good: there's no doubting his potential, but thus far, Clingan, Marshall, Lita, Bertrand and maybe Kennedy have all proved more consistent and vital to the team.

Shaun,

Certainly was! Fantastic player and integral to our greatest-ever side - as was our other full back, the absurdly underrated Ian Culverhouse.

You'll survive. Just. Doncaster, Watford and Forest (worst team I've seen this season by a distance) to go down IMO. You, Charlton, Sarfampton and Blackpool will be close. You at least created chances and occasionally looked a threat last weekend. Watford and Forest were absolutely awful when they came.

;) 7 games in a row home and away we've beaten you. We're becoming a real bogey side for you.

That video was a cracking season for us. We were both decent sides then. How times change :sad:

Goss - after the equaliser you can see him walking back upfield. Fashanu's Norwich career was considerably earlier, but I can't watch this goal often enough.....

Hero. Brian Clough ruined him - the lack of sensitivity and basic people skills shown towards him was quite appalling. And frankly, you have to wonder how far football has moved on since - if at all.

The thing is, he was a big fish in a small pond at Blackpool. Now he's a smaller fish in, er, a slightly bigger pond at Norwich. He's been very in and out so far: Roeder bought him to be Huckerby's replacement, but that's a tough, tough act to follow. Hopefully he'll come good: there's no doubting his potential, but thus far, Clingan, Marshall, Lita, Bertrand and maybe Kennedy have all proved more consistent and vital to the team.

Yeah im surprised at Readings attitude towards Lita. Always rated him. Must be something behind the scenes going on. Although in fairness,Noel Hunt has exceeded expectations at Reading so maybe hes just not required.

Jeremy Goss was rubbish for Hearts.

FACT.

All players, with the sole exception of Jimmy Bone, who've been with both Norwich and Hearts have been rubbish for one or the other - FACT. And one was equally pitiful for both!

Yeah im surprised at Readings attitude towards Lita. Always rated him. Must be something behind the scenes going on. Although in fairness,Noel Hunt has exceeded expectations at Reading so maybe hes just not required.

Lita kept getting involved in off-field scrapes, though. Attitude problems I think - and they've positively prospered without him. Hint hint, Mr Coppell - please can we keep him? ;)

You'll survive. Just. Doncaster, Watford and Forest (worst team I've seen this season by a distance) to go down IMO. You, Charlton, Sarfampton and Blackpool will be close. You at least created chances and occasionally looked a threat last weekend. Watford and Forest were absolutely awful when they came.

;) 7 games in a row home and away we've beaten you. We're becoming a real bogey side for you.

That video was a cracking season for us. We were both decent sides then. How times change :sad:

Indeed. :sad: 93/4 was the year 90 MINUTES tipped you to win the title! :eek: I've always thought, incidentally, that if it hadn't been for your involvement in both Cup Finals, you'd probably have beaten us to 3rd place the previous season: you were on a Warhurst and Waddle-inspired charge up the table, but seemed to give up after a 2-0 defeat at Villa in mid-March.

I never mind losing to Wednesday, though. You're definitely the club other than ourselves who I most like in the Championship - and without exception, every Owl I've ever encountered on messageboards has been seriously knowledgeable. My gut feeling is you're probably right regarding our survival chances - in many ways, Norwich this season are like Wednesday last season. I was always confident you'd make it, so fingers crossed it'll be the same for us.

Guess The Crowd
All players, with the sole exception of Jimmy Bone, who've been with both Norwich and Hearts have been rubbish for one or the other - FACT. And one was equally pitiful for both!

I aaume you're not talking about Goss, who was very good for Norwich.

So I think I'm stumped, unless you can offer a clue?

Archived