'The Beatles' - The White Album - 40 years on

Buffalo Bill

This is still one of my all-time favourite albums, and it's funny to think that it's now be on the go for 40 years.

Some splendid tunes: Sexy Sadie, While my guitar, Mother Nature's Son, Blackbird etc

...and a couple of honking ones too (Revolution 9 for your first dance?).

The album also had a bit of an influence on popular culture; not least the antics of Charlie Manson and his 'family'.

Any other fans of this classic album out there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_(album)

Bungalow Bill

Have been watching the Beatles anthology in the last week. Some great footage form that period is on it.

Double album - George Martin thought there was too many tracks - Paul McCartney thinks its spot on. Certainy an album that people love.

On a sidenote, dont think on all the footage that DVD shows, George Harrison ever had a bad haircut or ever looks anything but cool as ******.

Johanes de Silentio

Spooky - I had this brilliant album on the other night for the first time in yonks.

A couple of absolute stinkers to be sure, ("Don't Pass Me By" & "Goodnight" for example - sorry Ringo!) but some corking tunes anaw.

I do realise that the production was meant to be a return to their lo-fi rock & roll roots after the highly-polished 'Pepper' period, but it's a bit sloppy here and there innit?

A brilliant record nevertheless!

Abbey Road is the one that really does it for me, though.

And Revolver.

And Magical Mystery Tour.

The white album is one of my favourites of all time , crammed full of brilliant songs. You very rarely hear a white album track played on the radio.

Guest Fabuloso

Great album. Got it on the CD in my car just now along with Take That's Greatest Hits!

Also been listening to a bit of Beggars Banquet lately. Don't know if that floats your boat.

I am a huge Beatles fan, and John Lennon is my all-time hero, but the album also has one of my favourite Macartney songs in Helter Skelter.

One of my favourite albums of all-time.

Some of Johns best work on it.

Sold mine on eBay a couple of years ago - for ?176.

Serial number 0004686.

Minus the first disc and the photos.

I never play vinyl, and anyway always preferred sides 1 and 2 (which were stolen), so I bought the CD instead.

The lower the serial number, the crazier the price you can get !

Bought mine from Boots in Princes St on the first day !

Still got the original, complete with photos, just going down to my mums to check the issue number. Not that I would ever sell it though. Off to see the Bootleg Beatles next sunday, anyone else?

I am a huge Beatles fan, and John Lennon is my all-time hero, but the album also has one of my favourite Macartney songs in Helter Skelter.

One of my favourite albums of all-time.

Some of Johns best work on it.

I'm a better beatles fan than you- FACT;):P:laugh:

Still got the original, complete with photos, just going down to my mums to check the issue number. Not that I would ever sell it though. Off to see the Bootleg Beatles next sunday, anyone else?

Yeah, I'm going.

Always a good bit of fun, The Bootlegs.

Cry Baby Cry is abother track of the album which I like a lot. And mentions Kirkcaldy of all places.

Lennon loved Scotland, and of course used to stay at Ormidale Terr, Murrayfield on his school holidays.

Buffalo Bill

Yeah, I'm going.

Always a good bit of fun, The Bootlegs.

Cry Baby Cry is abother track of the album which I like a lot. And mentions Kirkcaldy of all places.

Lennon loved Scotland, and of course used to stay at Ormidale Terr, Murrayfield on his school holidays.

Buffalo Bill

What a great song , glass onion is quality also, i love the beatles.

Bobby_swing_the_bar

Going to see the Bootleg Beatles next week as well, will be the 3rd time seeing them, they always put on a good show.

... and I just checked - the guy who sold it, is the guy "Andrew" in Austria who bought mine off me.

He's obviously gone up in the world since then.

Fantastic album so full of variety but revolver and pepper still influencing people and bands after all these years a testament to the greatest band ever.

My favourite Beatles album. It always has been; in fact it's the only one I ever listen to nowadays. Its ramshackle structure and production give it an edge sorely lacking in other Beatles records, the mediocre Let It Be apart. It's their Exile On Main Street, albeit it preceded the Stones' best album by four years.

Guest Fabuloso
My favourite Beatles album. It always has been; in fact it's the only one I ever listen to nowadays. Its ramshackle structure and production give it an edge sorely lacking in other Beatles records, the mediocre Let It Be apart. It's their Exile On Main Street, albeit it preceded the Stones' best album by four years.

Much prefer Sticky Fingers to Exile - a great album though it is. They don't make records like that anymore! I've got the album complete with Andy Warhol zip cover and someone told me it was worth ?500 - did some research and it turned out it's worth about ?20!

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

It was the album where Harrison really started to show what he could do.

"Long Long Long" had a wonderful melody. His "Inner Light" on the B side of Lady Madonna was also ethereal.

Glass Onion, Blackbird, Dear Prudence, Back in the USSR, While my Guitar. All of such a high standard.

The slow version of Revolution and Yer Blues. Julia is heartbreaking.

Helter Skelter also showed their remarkable versatility.

When you see all these "Top 100" albums polls and Oasis and Radiohead are at the top ahead of the Beatles, it just makes you laugh.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
Much prefer Sticky Fingers to Exile - a great album though it is. They don't make records like that anymore! I've got the album complete with Andy Warhol zip cover and someone told me it was worth ?500 - did some research and it turned out it's worth about ?20!

I prefer Sticky Fingers too.

"Bitch." Absolutely rockin'.

And they never wrote a better song than "Wild Horses."

Will never see their and The Beatles likes again.

Fantastic album but then most of their material is a few notches above everything else. If ever there was an artist deserving of the title 'genius' then it was Lennon.

Been listening to random Beatles tracks all day, all of them evoke emotions in a way no other music can ever come close to. I can't get the song Real Love out of my head now :)

I remember seeing the Bootleg Beatles when I was about 9 and they were superb.

Fantastic album but then most of their material is a few notches above everything else. If ever there was an artist deserving of the title 'genius' then it was Lennon.

Been listening to random Beatles tracks all day, all of them evoke emotions in a way no other music can ever come close to. I can't get the song Real Love out of my head now :)

I remember seeing the Bootleg Beatles when I was about 9 and they were superb.

All this talk of the White Album is making me look forward even more to the Bootleg Beatles gig next week. Perhaps there will be a bigger focus on the White Album this year.

All this talk of the White Album is making me look forward even more to the Bootleg Beatles gig next week. Perhaps there will be a bigger focus on the White Album this year.

"Number 9

Number 9

Number 9..."

Buffalo Bill

Great album although not as good as Revolver.

Ok Top 10 Beatles Songs.

It's Only Love

Flying

I Me Mine

She Said She Said

Here, There and Everywhere

Rain

Mother Nature's Son

While My Guitar

Tell Me What You See

Here Comes the Sun

Buffalo Bill

Something

In My Life

Long and Winding Road

Here Comes the Sun

Blackbird

Helter Skelter

And Your Bird Can Sing

Michelle

Penny Lane

I've Got a Feeling

Something

In My Life

Long and Winding Road

Here Comes the Sun

Blackbird

Helter Skelter

And Your Bird Can Sing

Michelle

Penny Lane

I've Got a Feeling

Good list my Son.

Do you like any of the early stuff?

Some great early tunes:

Anna

Baby it's You

Ask Me Why

It Won't be Long

All I've got to do

Tell Me Why

I'll Cry Insread

Baby's in Black

I Don't Want to Spoil the Party

etc etc

Buffalo Bill

I like lots of their really early stuff,

All my loving

Every Little Thing

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

etc. I think I got into them more as I have matured, and received all my old fellahs lps after he died.

Is today not the anniversary of John Winston Lennons murder?

RIP John. And George.

Here comes the sun

Strawberry Fields

Nowhere man

Don't let me down

Penny Lane

Let it be

She's leaving

Two of us

Something

Good night

I like lots of their really early stuff,

All my loving

Every Little Thing

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

etc. I think I got into them more as I have matured, and received all my old fellahs lps after he died.

Is today not the anniversary of John Winston Lennons murder?

RIP John. And George.

It is mate. 28 years ago now. Scary.

lennon.jpg

Buffalo Bill

Guess The Crowd
The white album is one of my favourites of all time , crammed full of brilliant songs. You very rarely hear a white album track played on the radio.

That's a good point.

As an example of that, earlier this year, having previously assumed I'd heard every Beatles song ever recorded, I was listening to the radio and heard this weird but wonderful track 'Everybody's got something to hide except me and my monkey'.

It sounded so contemporary, that initially I assumed it was a current band who happened to sound a bit like The Beatles, but the more I listened to it I realised it actually had to be the boys themselves - truly amazing band....

Mojo had a two part 40th anniversary celebration earlier in the year with two free cds of covers. Worth digging out if you're big on the Beatles ..

My top 10 beatles tracks. (currently)

1.Across the universe

2.golden slumbers/carry that weight/the end( i know but they go so well together)

3.dont let me down

4.glass onion

5.happiness is a warm gun/im so tired( ditto)

6.i dont want to spoil the party

7.your mother should know

8.in my life

9.lovely rita

10.the night before

That was really hard , next month i could have 10 completely different songs in there.

I P Knightley
My top 10 beatles tracks. (currently)

1.Across the universe

2.golden slumbers/carry that weight/the end( i know but they go so well together)

3.dont let me down

4.glass onion

5.happiness is a warm gun/im so tired( ditto)

6.i dont want to spoil the party

7.your mother should know

8.in my life

9.lovely rita

10.the night before

That was really hard , next month i could have 10 completely different songs in there.

Impossible task.

I'd bet your ten would be different if we asked you this evening, let alone next month!

Impossible task.

I'd bet your ten would be different if we asked you this evening, let alone next month!

Yeh , i know what you mean , i was scrolling down the beatles tracks on my mp3 player and had 10 songs written down by the time i had reached 'G' in the alphabet ,i had to do a bit editing .Bloody good band , timeless music.

Tried and failed to list my top ten many times, by the time I get to the tenth it's already changed as something will trigger in your head about a track you've missed and it's back to the drawing board.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

That's why they are the greatest band ever because their output was such that different "periods" of their music could hold your attention and you would then find that you can seemlessly drift to another.

I absolutely was hooked for a while on their first album " Please Please Me".

The opening track on that album, "I saw her standing there" "Anna", Chains" all absolutely tremendous.

Top Ten? Impossible, but in no particular order (And liable to change):

Here Comes The Sun

Hey Jude

In My Life

If I Fell

If I needed Someone

I'll follow the Sun

A Day in the Life

You've got to hide your love away

Ballad of John and Yoko

And Your Bird can sing

and on and on and on....

It's a great album but probably my 4th favourite Beatles record behind Sgt. Peppers, Revolver and Abbey Road. Put simply, I have always prefered shorter albums where there is no chance that you could ever consider skipping a track. Because of the way the White Album is, full of content that is very diverse, then there are songs that you are not going to like. However, anyone who would say they don't like a single track off the White Album is either a liar or they haven't heard the album.

My favourite track is Blackbird as well.

Top ten Beatles songs

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

Paperback Writer

A Day in the Life

I'm Only Sleeping

Blackbird

Revolution (single version)

For No One

Taxman

Hey Jude

Was the White lp not the begining of the end for The Beatles.More of Lennon,Harrison and McCartney working on their own.I think Clapton played on it as well.

My favourite Beatle lp.Never have liked Sir Paul but even he has some great songs in this.My favourite Beatle song is A Day in the Life.Strange that it comes from the most overated lp in the history of music.:D

Johanes de Silentio
Was the White lp not the begining of the end for The Beatles.More of Lennon,Harrison and McCartney working on their own.I think Clapton played on it as well.

My favourite Beatle lp.Never have liked Sir Paul but even he has some great songs in this.My favourite Beatle song is A Day in the Life.Strange that it comes from the most overated lp in the history of music.:D

'Pepper' more over-rated than 'Pet Sounds'? I'm thinking no.

'Pepper' now suffers from all of that 'world's best-ever album' nonsense it used to get.

It's not the best album ever made, but, my my, it's still a corker! George Martin's book 'Summer of Love' tells you how they did it...on a 4-track!

Less than a week after 'Pepper' was released, Hendrix was opening his set with a cover of the title track - can you imagine Beck, for example, covering a Coldplay tune within a week of it's original release?

As well as The Beatles' brilliant music, the are memorable for the cultural impact they had.

At the moment, I can't get enough of their psychedelic stuff.

My last song I put on before leaving to watch Hearts lift the cup in '98 was 'Baby You're A Rich Man' - it now has a special meaning for me, apart from being merely a cracking tune!

My last song I put on before leaving to watch Hearts lift the cup in '98 was 'Baby You're A Rich Man' - it now has a special meaning for me, apart from being merely a cracking tune!

And how did it feel to be one of the beautiful people?

Buffalo Bill

Archived