To put things in perspective...

Martin_T

Which is why this transfer window MIGHT be the last opportunity to sell big. A lot depends on what Man City do as they could start a merry go-round with teams like Portsmouth ending up with a wad of cash that they will spend some of.

We really have to hope this is the case.Sell in the short term to live in the long term even if our league position suffers.

I agree with the wages, we are paying out more than we bring in but I don't have a problem as long as Roman is putting the money in. I seen that too, I think he was very bitter about not getting Robinho. He's been told to sell before he can buy in January too, so he's going to have to use his skills in the transfer market. For what it's worth, I'm not too keen on Scolari, I think there are a lot better club managers out there.

We'll never become the biggest club in the world, it's a dream. But saying that, Chelsea over the last 5 years has been a dream come true. If we end up back challenging for a European spot and the odd cup, we'll be back to where we were anyway, nothing lost.

We've taken over another thread talking about Chelsea, Shaun. We should have our own sub-forum.

Dude, we're talking about finance in football! Such a topic attracts me towards Chelsea like flies around Easter Road... :)

Fair dos, though. Always good debating all this with you, mate - and we shall see what we shall see.

How does that work exactly? We have a massive turnover due to the wages we are paying out? Am I missing something here? Not yet we don't no, but if we carry on the way we are, we will be. If an English side is constantly getting close to European glory and winning Championships their pedigree will grow. More people will know and want to be involved in the Chelsea franchise. For evidence look at the next sponsorship Chelsea receive, I'm willing to bet it's more than Liverpool or Arsenal, and pretty close to what the biggest clubs in the world receive.

Chelsea will never be the biggest club in the world as we don't have the history, but we will be in the top 10, very close to the top 5. That's not even in doubt. I can't see where you're getting that from either. Abramovic has never said he's cutting his funds for Chelsea and has never said he's losing his enthusiasm for the club. We may be cutting costs at the moment but that's purely being sensible in the current climate.

For the record, Mourinho was sacked because he didn't play the attractive football that the owner wanted to see, and he wasn't willing to give players he didn't sign the chances they deserved. With Sheva he was proved right, with Ballack he was proved wrong.

If Chelsea stop winning things then all their new found fans including many "fans" on here who only discovered them when they started winning or due to some romantic and somewhat twisted admiration for the Headhunters will disappear off to whoever is winning the trophies. That?s the trouble with gloryhunters you have to appease them with silver. The OF have known this for decades, the New Firm discovered it in the 80s and Vlad has learnt it recently...

In years gone by, when most clubs had good crowds, players wages were not massively more than the supporters going to see them.... nowadays, with players earning 15 or 20 times the average supporters wages, a bit of the affinity has obviously dissolved.... and quite frankly, earning many thousands of pounds for kicking a ball up and down a grass pitch is quite obscene

Agree 100/%, The salaries of some players are staggering. And i've used the same word as you to describe it many a time. Obscene!

jamboinglasgow

Football is certainly going into a tough time. The premiership will most likely be in a posistion where it should be able to survive but transfer prices may plummet. In the past year or two there have been some fairly standard players going for amounts that not long ago was only being paid for the best. I think some teams will use the money they got for being in the premiership to protect their finances though some at the bottom half teams may feel the need to spend just to keep alive in the premiership, keep the money and therefore not left with an unaffordable wage bill.

As said before Chelsea are in danger with Abrhamvich's money taking a massive hit. I think some may go but they wont be the worst hit. I think West Ham are still in a shaky posistion and other clubs could take a hit. There are not many multi-million or billionares around who want to put a stake at this moment.

I think Man City are in the best posistion, their owners have money tied in oil and though prices are down at the moment, there is enough oil and wealth in the country to allow for the crazy transfers such as Robinho. Also Arsenal are in good enough posistion that they could weather the storm, though the stadium still needs to be payed for. Liverpool are an interesting one, i think the owners may be forced to sell, but the question is who will pay.

The main issue for clubs is going to be debt. I think banks are reluctant to allow such big debts in the clubs given the banks situation. Clubs will be attempting to do what Hearts are now attempting, to live within means, wages slashed and other alternatives saught.

It could go well again but it is not a good time for football.

Archived