Craig Gordon not playing for Sunderland again

Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff Kilpatrick

His ankle's still a problem apparently.

Maybe Vlad was right. He's helping to "kill the club". :rolleyes:

Has CG been a failure down south? this article thinks so - bit harsh if you ask me though.

"He has plainly overpaid for some - Michael Chopra, Greg Halford - and arguably been undone by the failure of his most expensive purchase - Craig Gordon"

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8742_4588515,00.html

Baws. It's not Craig's fault he went for ?9m. That created almost impossibly high expectations, and he's done fine I'd say: he's the best British goalkeeper around (I'd put Robert Green 2nd, by the way). I expect Villa to come calling for him in the summer.

Nucky Thompson
Baws. It's not Craig's fault he went for ?9m. That created almost impossibly high expectations, and he's done fine I'd say: he's the best British goalkeeper around (I'd put Robert Green 2nd, by the way). I expect Villa to come calling for him in the summer.
I think it was a bad choice signing for the Mackems. Set his move to a top club back by years.

I think it was a bad choice signing for the Mackems. Set his move to a top club back by years.

Did he get to choose, though? Wasn't it that Sunderland offered us a bit more than Villa?

PresidentRomanov
Did he get to choose, though? Wasn't it that Sunderland offered us a bit more than Villa?

I heard it was because Craig didn't fancy playing for a specky, twisted, republican sympathiser - and he'd have been right :)

I heard it was because Craig didn't fancy playing for a specky, twisted, republican sympathyser - and he'd have been right :)

:laugh:

He'll be playing for him before long, though. If so, will you wash your hands of the Jhudas ***********?

EDIT: the censored word rhymes with 'sympathiser'. :)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It was always going to happen, wasn't it.

Put him behind a capable defence and he is brilliant. Look at his performances for Scotland ... never puts a foot wrong.

You can't win when you have some of the donkeys Sunderland have in defence.

i think Villa AND MAn City were both in as well as sunderland? dont know if there offers got accepted tho. Both would have been much better moves it has to be said

Nucky Thompson
I heard it was because Craig didn't fancy playing for a specky, twisted, republican sympathiser - and he'd have been right :)
:D

It was always going to happen, wasn't it.

Put him behind a capable defence and he is brilliant. Look at his performances for Scotland ... never puts a foot wrong.

You can't win when you have some of the donkeys Sunderland have in defence.

From Pressley and Webster to Nyron Nosworthy. It's called moving up in the world, apparently... :mw_rolleyes:

PresidentRomanov
:laugh:

He'll be playing for him before long, though. If so, will you wash your hands of the Jhudas ***********?

EDIT: the censored word rhymes with 'sympathiser'. :)

I'll always like Craig, I still feel sorry for him and Paul getting roped into that nonsense by the sleekit rheptile :mad:

i think Villa AND MAn City were both in as well as sunderland? dont know if there offers got accepted tho. Both would have been much better moves it has to be said

They certainly would. He's better than Joe Hart, and miles better than Scott Carson, Villa's dodgepot of a keeper last season. As I said though, I'm not sure if he was given the choice: Vlad played hardball, and only Sunderland matched his valuation.

Say What Again
yes could be due to his saves because of his ****e defence infont of him

Have you seen some of the goals he's conceded since his move?

Granted, Sunderland are gash, but CG hasn't exactly covered himself in glory in the EPL.

I'll always like Craig, I still feel sorry for him and Paul getting roped into that nonsense by the sleekit rheptile :mad:

You'll still be talking about Pressley on your death bed, won't you? :)

Granted, Sunderland are gash, but CG hasn't exactly covered himself in glory in the EPL.

He won over the Sunderland fans in the second half of the season. Sure, he's made mistakes - but a number of them were ridiculously ignorant at first, and he redeemed himself with some brilliant shot stopping. No-one's pretending he's Iker Cassilas - but as EPL keepers go, he's a good one.

PresidentRomanov
They certainly would. He's better than Joe Hart, and miles better than Scott Carson, Villa's dodgepot of a keeper last season. As I said though, I'm not sure if he was given the choice: Vlad played hardball, and only Sunderland matched his valuation.

Big bad Vlad doing something that benefited Hearts, surely not :eek:

Nucky Thompson
Do we have a sell-on clause ?
I would like to think so mate. It was around about the time Vlad wasn't taking any old offer so I would say yes.

PresidentRomanov
You'll still be talking about Pressley on your death bed, won't you? :)

I'd prefer to talk about him on his death bed :mad:

Big bad Vlad doing something that benefited Hearts, surely not :eek:

Correction: Big Bad Vlad does something that benefits UBIG. It's been one consistent positive of his time in charge - but I doubt whether the team has seen much benefit.

Roped in?

PresidentRomanov
Correction: Big Bad Vlad does something that benefits UBIG. It's been one consistent positive of his time in charge - but I doubt whether the team has seen much benefit.

I think you'll find it benefited Hearts :)

Did Big Bad Vlad benefit UBIG when he bought them ?12million worth of shares, in a club about to go to the wall :mw_rolleyes:

I think you'll find it benefited Hearts :)

Did Big Bad Vlad benefit UBIG when he bought them ?12million worth of shares, in a club about to go to the wall :mw_rolleyes:

We'll see. Let's see what the accounts say when they're released: my suspicion at the time was we'd hit out overdraft limit, and UBIG had no choice.

PresidentRomanov
We'll see. Let's see what the accounts say when they're released: my suspicion at the time was we'd hit out overdraft limit, and UBIG had no choice.

So when you said the Gordon money went to UBIG, you didn't actually know?

So when you said the Gordon money went to UBIG, you didn't actually know?

I'm basing that entirely on whether it was re-invested in the team: as far as I can see, it wasn't at all. Now granted, the absurd wages we've been paying out (without much result between 2006 and 2008) necessitate player sales. I have no problem with that, and above all want us to live within our means.

But if all player sales do is benefit the parent company, with no knock-on benefit for Hearts, that's a different story. My suspicion re: the ?40m overdraft was based on what the club website said when the debt for equity conversion was announced: ?12m is 30% (the percentage announced by the website) of ?40m. It was also announced at the very last moment whereby an EGM could be called within the 07/8 financial year (the meeting took place on July 31), and I believe UBIG owed Ukio a substantial loan at exactly that point.

As I said, we'll see - and I'll be happy to hold my hands up if I'm wrong.

scott herbertson
I'm basing that entirely on whether it was re-invested in the team: as far as I can see, it wasn't at all. Now granted, the absurd wages we've been paying out (without much result between 2006 and 2008) necessitate player sales. I have no problem with that, and above all want us to live within our means.

But if all player sales do is benefit the parent company, with no knock-on benefit for Hearts, that's a different story. My suspicion re: the ?40m overdraft was based on what the club website said when the debt for equity conversion was announced: ?12m is 30% (the percentage announced by the website) of ?40m. It was also announced at the very last moment whereby an EGM could be called within the 07/8 financial year (the meeting took place on July 31), and I believe UBIG owed Ukio a substantial loan at exactly that point.

As I said, we'll see - and I'll be happy to hold my hands up if I'm wrong.

Are you not going to take into account the money invested into the club in player salaries and registrations?

Hearts cannot be said to have 'benefited the parent company' if it is having to write off debts.

if that works i might give the Nationwide Anglia a buzz and see if they will ''benefit themselves' by writing off my mortgage, then they can sell off a few of my more valuable second hand books and trouser the proceeds

Are you not going to take into account the money invested into the club in player salaries and registrations?

Hearts cannot be said to have 'benefited the parent company' if it is having to write off debts.

if that works i might give the Nationwide Anglia a buzz and see if they will ''benefit themselves' by writing off my mortgage, then they can sell off a few of my more valuable second hand books and trouser the proceeds

It depends why they wrote off the debt, Scott - and also whether it helps or hinders them in any future sale of the club.

His ankle's still a problem apparently.

Maybe Vlad was right. He's helping to "kill the club". :rolleyes:

Vlad never said that about Gordon.

Glamorgan Jambo

My understanding was that both Sunderland and Villa had bids accepted by Hearts. Craig initially went to spend a few days at both clubs but after a few days chose the Mackems.

Anyone who watched the highlights of the Bolton game last week could see he was injured. he broke a bone in his foot a month or so back.

As far as a possible move for him if Sunderland get relegated I'd say it's unlikely he'd get an offer, on current form, from another EPL club. Villa have Friedel and Man City have Hart, both better keepers than Craig at the moment.

Hopefully the new manager at Sunderland will stabilise the club and get Craig his confidence back. My source (and its an extremely good one albeit with an axe to grind) says the squad were delighted with this weeks resignation.

Useless *****, Rooney should have been shut down about 20 yards before he was.

They would never have had that chance if they had.

Fozzyonthefence
I'd prefer to talk about him on his death bed :mad:

And would you thank him for winning the Scottish Cup for us & leading us to he Champions League? And for standing up to the man who is ruining our club?

Nucky Thompson
And for standing up to the man who is ruining our club?
Standing up for feck all. The man saved our club!

PresidentRomanov
And would you thank him for winning the Scottish Cup for us & leading us to he Champions League? And for standing up to the man who is ruining our club?

It was the man he betrayed that won us the Scottish Cup and led us into the Champions League.

jack D and coke
His time at Sunderland has ruined him and his reputation, cant see him getting a big move now.

That fecking defence.

The defence is rank rotten but i've seen him let in some howlers as well. He's not blameless in that Sunderland team. Confidence looks shot.

We got ?9 million for a huddy, ?9 million for a Huuuudy, we got ?9 million for a huddy, who cares he doesn't play for Heart of Midlothian anymore, the international team can GTF

Millfield_Mackem

He's been injured for quite a few weeks now. It was clear as day to see he was knacked against Bolton. He asked to come off at half time, yet Keane took other outfield players off instead, even without asking how CG was.

Gordon has made mistakes since he's been here, but far less than other keepers. He put in some match winning performances towards the end of last season which helped us stay clear of the drop. If CG can get behind a settled defence, like last year, we'll see him shine. Its Fulop's shirt to lose now, CG needs to show what he's made of to get back in the side

jack D and coke
He's been injured for quite a few weeks now. It was clear as day to see he was knacked against Bolton. He asked to come off at half time, yet Keane took other outfield players off instead, even without asking how CG was.

Gordon has made mistakes since he's been here, but far less than other keepers. He put in some match winning performances towards the end of last season which helped us stay clear of the drop. If CG can get behind a settled defence, like last year, we'll see him shine. Its Fulop's shirt to lose now, CG needs to show what he's made of to get back in the side

He looks a shadow of the keeper we know he can be. Who knows maybe your next manager can rebuild his confidence cos he's got the talent.

Who's getting the job do you reckon, or who would you like to get it mate?

Do you know how wrong that sounds to anyone that has seen Gordon play behind a good defence??

Geoff Kilpatrick

If Fulop had kept a clean sheet at OT yesterday, it would have been one of the worst performances there in the process. He was a total Dracula on every cross.

Vlad never said that about Gordon.

Correct. Why do people make these things up?

It thoroughly demeans their credibility

MacDonald Jardine
It depends why they wrote off the debt, Scott - and also whether it helps or hinders them in any future sale of the club.

Does it?

You can argue the rights or wrongs of their strategy and building up debts in the first place, but I don't see any argument that overall they aren't losing financially out of the situation.

We are where we are and they could have cut their losses rather than invest the ?12m.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Correct. Why do people make these things up?

It thoroughly demeans their credibility

I never claimed Vlad said it! People are getting a little too touchy. It was a throwaway remark meant sardonically.

However, if I've upset anyone I do apologise!

alwaysthereinspirit

He has absolutely no confidence in the players in front of him. I've watched quite a bit of Sunderland and they're a poor excuse for the premier league at the back. Terrible defending. Keane should have shored up that before spending millions on the midfield and up front. In saying that, Gordon has looked bad on a few occasions.

Millfield_Mackem
He looks a shadow of the keeper we know he can be. Who knows maybe your next manager can rebuild his confidence cos he's got the talent.

Who's getting the job do you reckon, or who would you like to get it mate?

I reckon this job is tailor made for Big Sam. Plenty of experience of the situation we are in at the moment. My ideal man would be Martin Jol.

Archived