Best Value for money HMFC signing?

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

Well whats your's?

Dont think I've ever seen this before, so I will start. No coming through the ranks allowed.

Antti Niemi

Colin Cameron.

Any older people care to elaborate, or any other folk want to add some?

chester copperpot
McCann first time, Naysmith, Hartley, Skacel, Bednar, Gordon.

Came through the youth set up naw?

chester copperpot
Gilles Rousset

Mike Galloway :)

John Colquhoun

Wayne Foster :)

Rousset was horrible mate. I didn't like him at all. I know 98 etc, but he was honking.

John Colquhoun for me is the best value for money transfer in Scottish Football since I've been watching it.(Since the late 60's)

John Colquhoun for me is the best value for money transfer in Scottish Football since I've been watching it.(Since the late 60's)

Godlike Genius. They said, at the time they wanted Davie Provan but he was long term injured or some such. Still a top man JC.

Along with one of my personal faves, as a player anyway Sandy Clark. He was bobbins at West Ham and I was gutted when we signed him but he was brilliant for us.

Yep i'd agree with JC. Superb bit of business to get him for (i think) ?50k :eek:

Seymour M Hersh

I thought the (then) regime showed tremendous financial nous when we got Gordan Petric!!:eek::eek::eek:

Seriously, JC was the best bit of value business we did in my time from a playing perspective.

Drylaw Hearts
Rousset was horrible mate. I didn't like him at all. I know 98 etc, but he was honking.

:eek:

No way !!!

Gilles was a godsend after what we'd had to endure since Henry lost it.

He had a horrible moment in the '95 Cup Final but that apart he was a pretty good Free Transfer.

Charlie-Brown

Almost all of our best signings over the last 25 years have been the ones who cost us the least, either nowt or very little inc loans.

John Colquhoun and Mike Galloway - both brought in for sweeties, we got the best years out of them and sold on for hefty fees.

PresidentRomanov
:eek:

No way !!!

Gilles was a godsend after what we'd had to endure since Henry lost it.

He had a horrible moment in the '95 Cup Final but that apart he was a pretty good Free Transfer.

I agree, I loved Gilles (96 Cup Final it was though)

John Colquhoun and Paul Hartley for me, with Hartley shading it for the Hampden Humiliation :)

PresidentRomanov
John Colquhoun and Mike Galloway - both brought in for sweeties, we got the best years out of them and sold on for hefty fees.

Galloway was garbage, his scoring run in the Uefa Cup got us the fee for him, nothing else.

By a country mile!!

peebles jambo
Henry Smith. ?200 transfer from Leeds.

i disliked henry, in my opinion he sold more jerseys than adidas

every ground you visited, same old song, henry henry drop the baw, in my eyes, he was hopeless

j,c, for me, brilliant

Galloway was garbage, his scoring run in the Uefa Cup got us the fee for him, nothing else.

Agreed - but we got the best out of him, the UEFA goals and the big fee from Celtic for him. Daylight robbery on our part.

Drylaw Hearts
I agree, I loved Gilles (96 Cup Final it was though)

John Colquhoun and Paul Hartley for me, with Hartley shading it for the Hampden Humiliation :)

Typo.

The mighty Glasgow Celtic won the Scottish Cup in 1995 IIRC.

:P

In my life time it would be Paul Hartley.

He gave everything for hearts and we were rewarded for it...

Either him or Micky.

PresidentRomanov
Typo.

The mighty Glasgow Celtic won the Scottish Cup in 1995 IIRC.

:P

Rangers FC won it the year after though :P

Jimmy Wardhaugh. Signed from Shaftesbury Park for, I believe, ?100, sold to Dunfermline for ?2,000, and in the interim played 496 games for the club, scoring a record 370 goals. Beat that.

Steve Fulton as a straight swap for David Hagen was a pretty good piece of business. Not only was Baggio a good player for us but we got rid of Hagen into the bargain. Presley must be about the best Bosman we have made. As far as players we paid a fee for and were great players for us and/or returned a big sell on profit then -

Henry Smith

Craig Levien

John Colqhoun

Colin Cameron

Neil McCann

David Weir

Antii Niemi

Paul Hartley

Rudi Skacel

Roman Bednar

loveofthegame

Don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into a Rousset thread but your post is bull**** mate. The guy was a legend, top goalkeeper who had 1 off day in a cup final.

We owe him so much for that day on 16/5/1998. Genuine hero of mine.

PresidentRomanov
Don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into a Rousset thread but your post is bull**** mate. The guy was a legend, top goalkeeper who had 1 off day in a cup final.

We owe him so much for that day on 16/5/1998. Genuine hero of mine.

CC only bought his first season ticket on the back of that cup win, so he probably didn't see enough of Gilles to make a judgement.

He's certainly the first Hearts supporter I've ever heard bad mouthing him :eek:

Teuchterjambo
McCann first time, Hartley, Skacel, Bednar.

Astonishing - you believe that Skacel and Bednar are amonst the best value for money acquistions Hearts ever made.

Ignoring what we received for them eventually how on earth did they provide value for money whilst they were here.

Skacel - barely half a season of performance followed by the rest of the time being lazy and/or spitting the dummy.

Bednar - More time on the trteatment table than anything else.

Not disputing they were both good players but value for money ?

Teuchterjambo

Agree with comments on Cameron and Niemi but for me has to be Jim Cruickshank and Donald Ford.

Both of these guys I think from Queen's Park with no fee other than maybe a donation and a career's worth of outsanding performance - not just 2 or 3 years.

tommythejambo

How dare you?!?!

My first footballing hero, slaughtered on a football forum. What is the world coming to.

marshallschunkychicken

John Colquhoun, by a long stretch.

I used to play football with my shirt tucked in at the front, and hanging out at the back in honour of him. It's a pity I was s***e.

John Colquhoun was the best Hearts player in the last 30 years.

A god.

as much as I love the wee fellae, there were at least 2 players in the same team as him who were far better when he signed.

Colin Cameron for me. cost us ?200k plus John Millar, scored in a winning cup final, got over 50 goals from midfield, played brilliantly every year, kept us up almost single-handedly in 1999 and was then sold for ?2m.

Well whats your's?

Dont think I've ever seen this before, so I will start. No coming through the ranks allowed.

Antti Niemi

Colin Cameron.

Any older people care to elaborate, or any other folk want to add some?

Value for money?

Entertainment value per ? so to speak? Or the biggest bargain?

Probably Hartley or Cameron for both.

In a much shorter timescale, I'd add Skacel to that. He was free after all...

Frankenstein Jambo.

Janny was a good player. Velicka scored goals and we sold him on for profit. Have to say though, the worst peice of buisness of all time had to bes. Terrible.

Can't disagree with those mentioned already, with JC for me the best.

Here's a couple of others not mentioned.

Alex McDonald - Past his best when he came but he made us a professional club again. For me one of our most influential players ever and in my time anyway our best manager.

Jimmy Bone - I'm sure I read somewhere he was a huge influence in Robbo's development, and of course there was that goal against the wee team.

Archived