Pride comes before a fall

Walter Kidd

Keep it tidy chaps. Nothing worse than getting a hiding if you have been bigging yourself up.

Section N started singing "Ally, Ally what's the score?" on Saturday. Take it from me, that song has a massive habit of biting us Hearts fans on the arse.

January 10th - keep it tidy until we have won.

i agree, cos i'm never confident going into a derby, far less at their piggery.

that said i'm excited at the prospect, even though i never wanted to get them

Drylaw Hearts
Keep it tidy chaps. Nothing worse than getting a hiding if you have been bigging yourself up.

Section N started singing "Ally, Ally what's the score?" on Saturday. Take it from me, that song has a massive habit of biting us Hearts fans on the arse.

Or 3-0 up.

:)

Quite right WK - that's more their style. How many times have they went on for weeks before a game about what they were going to do to us and then been humped?

Assuming we're still trading of course? :)

marshallschunkychicken

I hate being favourites in any game. By the time Jan 10th comes round, we may not be favourites.

I concur, lets not have this game won until we've won the game.

pride also comes before a pumping of the ******.

we'll do them.

FACT.

maybe.

A wise post. Someone else said to me earlier they were worried about us being over-confident: we need to do our talking on the park.

PresidentRomanov

The sun will never rise, on the day I'm not confident about thrashing the Leithers :)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'm keeping my avatar.

I'm 100% certain it will NOT come back to bite me on the erse. :)

My whole body is screaming saying we will put them back in their hole, but have been there before.

I'll be in Puerto Banus in body, but at the Dunbar End in spirit.

GORGIE RULES.

I'm keeping my avatar.

I'm 100% certain it will NOT come back to bite me on the erse. :)

just like your mark mghee one :D

Same with the 'Easy Easy' chant, can be quite unsettling unless we're already 3-0 up in the 2nd minute of injury time

Same with the 'Easy Easy' chant, can be quite unsettling unless we're already 3-0 up in the 2nd minute of injury time

a few around me were chanting that on Saturday after the 2nd went in, i had a horrible flash back, :ahhhhhhh: 2 nil up against Celtic on new years day then..........

a few around me were chanting that on Saturday after the 2nd went in, i had a horrible flash back, :ahhhhhhh: 2 nil up against Celtic on new years day then..........

.......maloney dives, crap ref sends off takis the rest is history..........

Last time we played them in the Big Cup, it was during a transfer window and they sold their best players just before the game.

We pumped them 4-0 that day.

This time the cup game is also during a transfer window.

Will Fletcher, Nish and Ratboy be away at Real Madrid/Ac Milan/Bayern Munich by then?

Very good point. I was excited to hear that we'd drawn them but the fact that winning would be euphoric while losing would be soul destroying means that there's no room for misplaced bravado. There's no middle ground here. It's a big game and while I'd like to think that we'd be okay on current form, there's absolutely no guarantees of what will happen in the run up to Christmas...or even what could happen on the day.

A hibby friend of mine is feeling better about this fixture because we're being cocky about it. I'd probably feel the same if it was the other way around...so I'm going for the quietly optimistic approach. It worked a treat on Saturday.

Elroyofderovers

I say get it up them whilst you can!

I was singing (admittedly I was the only 1 of 15,700) "We want 3....":cool:

1 win at Easter Road since Stampy.

I find it hard to be confident.

But by the time we play them, we won't have lost there since 2006.

And it'll be 2009.

best way to shut up this over confidence is to organise a "read-in" at the Signet Library on George IV Bridge. That will provide us with a better perspective on how supporters should behave and everyone passing the set test, will be provided with a tight little zipper to fit on their gobs.

FFS given the history of Hearts, often the only time to be big and confident is before the event. don't worry, how you behave has ZERO statistical impact on Hearts performance on the park. so you should enjoy yourself and not become some respectful super polite and superstitious jerk.

best way to shut up this over confidence is to organise a "read-in" at the Signet Library on George IV Bridge.

The professional Librarian in me has to amend the address of the Signet to Parliament Square.

The National Library and the Public Central Library are, of course, on George IV Bridge.

Apologies for my bibliophile pedantry. :o

It's do-or-die stuff but I won't even be thinking about it until it's the next game up.

The most important game in our life right now is Motherwell on Saturday.

We we make it six in a row, our team could start to become very nasty opponents for the rest of the SPL.

I'll think about Hibs when it's their turn next.

Buffalo Bill

Captain Scarlett
i agree, cos i'm never confident going into a derby, far less at their piggery.

that said i'm excited at the prospect, even though i never wanted to get them

have confidence have faith:107years::107years::107years::107years:

Last time we played them in the Big Cup, it was during a transfer window was it? and they sold their best players just before the game. did they?

We pumped them 4-0 that day.

This time the cup game is also during a transfer window.

Will Fletcher, Nish and Ratboy be away at Real Madrid/Ac Milan/Bayern Munich by then?

That's the Hibs revisionist version of events, surely?

They sold Gary O'Connor a month before the game and that's it.

I hate being favourites in any game. By the time Jan 10th comes round, we may not be favourites.

I concur, lets not have this game won until we've won the game.

Who says we're the favourites?:rolleyes:

Nothing worse than getting a hiding if you have been bigging yourself up.

Spot on mate. For example, I heard Durty Leeds were "bigging themselves up" at the weekend. :)

....and what happened to Chelsea pray tell?

We lost due to an outrageously bad refereeing decision that turned the game completely. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

And much as I hate the Gooners, they can't really be classed as diddies - at least not on the field. :P

We lost due to an outrageously bad refereeing decision that turned the game completely. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thank you, Big Phil. What are your thoughts on the growing suspicion that Chelsea have run out of money, and won't be spending in January? I didn't think Scolari's rant was really about the ref at all; I think he's frustrated, and feels misled when he took the job.

What are your thoughts on the growing suspicion that Chelsea have run out of money

It's utter nonsense.

We are "suffering" in second place with a massively superior goal difference to everyone else. All championship contenders have a sticky spell during the season; ours is happening at the moment.

On Sunday we suffered from an outrageous refereeing decision and, at least as importantly, the unavailability of some absolutely key players; Joe Cole, Didier Drogba, Ricardo Carvalho and Michael Essien.

I can assure you that by the end of the season blue will indeed be the colour - in the EPL and Champions League. ;)

I would love to win both games but if we are still on some sort of league run then I could live with losing in the cup if we hump them silly the week before. A win in the cup at their own ground would prove nothing - we still have won more games in derbies at their ground after all.

That said, if we win the week before then maybe they will not have had time to recover.

Would make for a fantastic season if we were to end their interest by the 2nd week in Jan!!

It's utter nonsense.

We are "suffering" in second place with a massively superior goal difference to everyone else. All championship contenders have a sticky spell during the season; ours is happening at the moment.

On Sunday we suffered from an outrageous refereeing decision and, at least as importantly, the unavailability of some absolutely key players; Joe Cole, Didier Drogba, Ricardo Carvalho and Michael Essien.

I can assure you that by the end of the season blue will indeed be the colour - in the EPL and Champions League. ;)

I still think blue will probably be the colour in the EPL; I don't and never have done in the Champions League. My mounting sense, though, is of a club about to head onto the slippery slope - which has the capacity to extract one last title from hardened professionals, but is going to be back where it was under Ranieri before long. I'd enjoy it while it lasts if I were you!

I'd enjoy it while it lasts if I were you!

In the highly unlikely event that you're right*, I'd still love Chelsea FC. After all, I followed them through the 70s and 80s.

* Based on your track record

In the highly unlikely event that you're right*, I'd still love Chelsea FC. After all, I followed them through the 70s and 80s.

* Based on your track record

Yes, fair point! Incidentally, a question for you and other Chelsea fans from the time. I was reading an article on the 1985/6 season the other day: Chelsea's league form collapsed following your famous 5-4 win over Man City in the Full Members Cup Final. Do you think the FMC might've cost Chelsea the title that year? My first memories of CFC were of the Dixon/Nevin team - but that seems to have been its best campaign.

Do you think the FMC might've cost Chelsea the title that year?

Er, I had bigger things that were closer to home on my mind that season....;)

Anyway, the Dixon/Nevin team wasn't a patch on the Osgood, Cooke, Hudson, Hutchison, McCreadie, Harris, Webb etc side from the 70s. A joy to watch and hard as nails.

Er, I had bigger things that were closer to home on my mind that season....;)

Anyway, the Dixon/Nevin team wasn't a patch on the Osgood, Cooke, Hudson, Hutchison, McCreadie, Harris, Webb etc side from the 70s. A joy to watch and hard as nails.

Did that famous side get you into following them, then? It went wrong pretty quickly afterwards - up until Uncle Ken bought Chelsea for ?1.

Here's Chelsea's most famous team at their best (with apologies to the OP):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tyc82dSnEoE&feature=related

Southern softies, my arse.

Southern softies, my arse.

Thanks for posting that Shaun. Absolutely superb, particularly Ian Hutchison's long throw - the first ever to do it I believe - and Peter Osgood's magnificent diving header.

Thanks for posting that Shaun. Absolutely superb, particularly Ian Hutchison's long throw - the first ever to do it I believe - and Peter Osgood's magnificent diving header.

The first long throw ever? I didn't know that, I must admit. And Webb scored with his ear, of course: I thought he was treated rather strangely by Ken Bates 23 years later, but that's another story.

It's strange: that side was feted in a way the 1955 Champions never were - though it was good to see Mourinho give them their due when Chelsea were about to end the long wait for a title in 2005.

The first long throw ever?

If it wasn't the first it was certainly the first that received widespread publicity.

It's do-or-die stuff but I won't even be thinking about it until it's the next game up.

The most important game in our life right now is Motherwell on Saturday.

We we make it six in a row, our team could start to become very nasty opponents for the rest of the SPL.

I'll think about Hibs when it's their turn next.

Buffalo Bill

Absolutely 100% agree! Small steps and let's enjoy each win as they come.

Thank you, Big Phil. What are your thoughts on the growing suspicion that Chelsea have run out of money, and won't be spending in January? I didn't think Scolari's rant was really about the ref at all; I think he's frustrated, and feels misled when he took the job.

shaun - i think its time to get a grip, mate. Looking at Chelsea's current squad - if a manager can **** things up with the likes of Terry, Lampard, Malouda, Anelka, Drogba, Ballack, Deco, Essien and on and on and on........... he should throw in the towel right away. If Chelsea don't have the raw material to win trophies, nobody else in Europe has.

Chelsea's problem is that they have stood still and other teams have worked out how to play and win against them. As much as I like the "french" contingent, Malouda, Anelka, Essien - it gives me great pleasure to watch the rest of them suffer.

Archived