Dave Mackay

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

I was listening to yesterdays Fighting Talk on five live, and the have brought up Dave MacKay a few times, even Jimmy Tarbuck was saying what a player. It makes me proud every time he is mentioned with respect and admiration to think that this Man made his career at Hearts and is a proud jambo and is held so highly.

even though he hates this picture, i love it

Billy_Bremner_Dave_Mackay.jpg

jambos are go!
I was listening to yesterdays Fighting Talk on five live, and the have brought up Dave MacKay a few times, even Jimmy Tarbuck was saying what a player. It makes me proud every time he is mentioned with respect and admiration to think that this Man made his career at Hearts and is a proud jambo and is held so highly.

even though he hates this picture, i love it

MacKay was tough but not dirty and this picture has somehow defined his career unfairly. In his prime he was an attacking wing half with good skills, shot, undying determination and a flair for scoring goals. A great tragedy that he was sold when he was happy to stay. I've always believed its cost us several trophies in the early 60s.

Johanes de Silentio

Dave was a contender to replace Willie Ormond as manager in 79/80.

It was a huge disappointment to me when we chose not to go for him - he wanted the job too!

Bobby Moncur did well to get us promoted, but his Premier League side in 80/81 was abysmal.

Massive chance missed for us to be managed by possibly our best player ever - a great man with a proven track record as a manager!

Bruce Rioch wanted the job at that time too, for ****'s sake!

Madness!

jamboinglasgow

I would love hearts to use players like Dave Mackay for the benefit of the team. For example Csaba could get Dave and Gary MacKay, John Robertson, and other passionate former Hearts players to talk to the team (certainly the new foregin players) and tell them what it means to be a hearts player and how playing well and giving hard work will mean that the fans will love them.

Or they could be able to talk to the youth and talk about what is needed to be succesful in football and Hearts.

Meet the man once and I'll never forget it. A true football legend that gets overlooked by the weegie press.

Colonel Kurtz

Dave mackay was on the way to the station to sign for Hearts ,when Clough signed him ,played him as sweeper and he was Englands player of the year.

I have taked to dave he haed the Bremner photo and is proud of the fact he was never sent off,although he once refused to go off when a ref tried to send him off

If you ever want a discount on your taxi bill in London, raise the topic of Dave MacKay.

Seriously, the man is admired by all taxi drivers, of all teams. I agree with the comments above, he's better respected in London than Scotland, and that's due (partly at least) to the Weedgie press bias.

One taxi driver remark which often stands out, and I don't know if its true (perhaps older Jambos can confirm) goes like this: "Dave MacKay, of course I remember him, he basically invented the sliding tackle - firm but fair".

Deodato

I'm sure it doesn't need re-stating, but I'll re-state it anyway ..

The MacKay / Bremner photo was taken after Bremner had scythed MacKay down with a foul challenge on MacKay's weak leg just after MacKay had returned to playing from a leg break. Bremner knew he was just back and still not sure of his leg, so tried to test it (and macKay's resolve) for himself.

The result ... is that photo.

A legend of a man.

Had the pleasure of meeting him and the awesome Alex Young on the night. My old man's favourite ever player was Dave Mackay.

Dave mackay was on the way to the station to sign for Hearts ,when Clough signed him ,played him as sweeper and he was Englands player of the year.

I have taked to dave he haed the Bremner photo and is proud of the fact he was never sent off,although he once refused to go off when a ref tried to send him off

Ref would need a VC to send Dave off! I wouldn't have been game....:rolleyes:

Son Of Anarchy

DAVE MACKAY is the definition of a true legend! The word is so overly used these days but he is certainly a legend in the game and not just for Hearts.Ive talked to many football fans down south on this topic and have yet to hear ANYONE say one bad word about him.One spurs fans dad told me "Dave Mackay,put Hearts on the map down here son" He'd met him a few times in the early days in his taxi and his final sentence stayed with me.He said "Dave was never up himself like his team mates,the most commited hard and fair professional ive ever met. Im also very glad to say i never upset him so im still here to tell you this".

I personally had the pleasure of his company once at Tynie,and shall always be honoured with the memory of that meeting.Still the same today as he always has been,A TRUE GENT,A TRUE JAMBO,A TRUE LEGEND!

I've also had the good fortune to meet Dave Mackay, Alex Young told me at the same 'do' that Dave Mackay was the main reason Hearts won so much in the '50s.'

Dave MacKay was my great uncles best man at his wedding many years ago.

Nothing to do with me but a kind of family claim to fame!

DAVE MACKAY is the definition of a true legend! The word is so overly used these days but he is certainly a legend in the game and not just for Hearts.Ive talked to many football fans down south on this topic and have yet to hear ANYONE say one bad word about him.One spurs fans dad told me "Dave Mackay,put Hearts on the map down here son" He'd met him a few times in the early days in his taxi and his final sentence stayed with me.He said "Dave was never up himself like his team mates,the most commited hard and fair professional ive ever met. Im also very glad to say i never upset him so im still here to tell you this".

I personally had the pleasure of his company once at Tynie,and shall always be honoured with the memory of that meeting.Still the same today as he always has been,A TRUE GENT,A TRUE JAMBO,A TRUE LEGEND!

Exactly! It makes me want to spew when you hear the likes of Pressley and Hartley being talked about as legends. They would not have been good enough to carry the hamper when Mackay, John Cumming, Alex Young and George Thomson played.

Teuchterjambo

A couple of years ago I was at a Sportsmans Dinner where Denis Law was the after dinner speaker. After Denis had completed his speeech he opened it up to a question and answer session with the audience. He was asked who were the best 5 Scottish players he ever played with. We sat back as Denis reeled off the usual suspects starting at number 5, can't quite remember his order but by the time he got to No 1 Jimmy Johnstone, Pat Crerand,Jim Baxter and Kenny Dalglish had come and gone. I looked about the room at the puzzled look on all the faces (I think I was the only one in the place who knew where he was going).

He said number one was without a shadow of doubt David Mackay. I have always had two all time football heroes and here was one of them nominating the other as the best he had ever played with. (BTW - of the two DM is No. one)

I think that says it all about the footballer and the man - the stuff of real true legend. When I hear of people like Rudi Skacel being mentioned as legends it just makes my blood boil. There are very few real legends and DM for me is up there at the very top.

51 Shirts -Moments in Time

A few years ago now Dave MacKay was on Sky as a guest, the match was Derby v Spurs in the FA Cup. Before the game Richard Keys asked him which team he would be supporting, MacKay replied 'I'm Hearts fan son'. Quality.

JJ

I P Knightley

Seriously, the man is admired by all taxi drivers, of all teams. I agree with the comments above, he's better respected in London than Scotland, and that's due (partly at least) to the Weedgie press bias.

I don't know if you meant it intentionally but I love the phrase, "taxi drivers of all teams" So many London cabbies are so heavily into their football that they might as well be on the books in some capacity!!

A mate of mine is a Spurs supporting journalist and he had the honour last year of spending a day with Dave Mackay. This guy has met thousands of sporting greats (we're including Schumacher, Federer, Tiger Woods, Lineker, Hoddle, Rix, Dalglish, Hansen, Carling, Hastings...) but I've never seen him so made up as after his day with MacKay. And he talked more fondly of the Hearts than Spurs.

Dave Mackay's wife, though, is a Hibby so I think we have to review the 'legend' status applied above :)

He is still my mums favourite.The guy is a legend met him in the Mrchiston Hearts after the Gretna Final got him to call my mum in Birmingham on my mobile to say hello. my mum aged 63 still gets a little weak over it

loveofthegame
A few years ago now Dave MacKay was on Sky as a guest, the match was Derby v Spurs in the FA Cup. Before the game Richard Keys asked him which team he would be supporting, MacKay replied 'I'm Hearts fan son'. Quality.

JJ

Heard that story many a time but still love it!

More praise for DM in this month's FourFourTwo magazine. They interviewed Bobby Charlton and one question was his toughest ever opponent to which he replied Dave Mackay! Shame Charlton only mentions Mackay in relation to Derby and Spurs but i guess thats to be expected from an Englishman, as highlighted by Richard Keys!

• 6 years later...
Francis Albert

On the "best Hearts related quote" thread Dave Mackay features prominently. Thought it worth bumping a very old thread about a true Hearts (and Scotland and Spurs and Derby) legend.

Teuchterjambo

On the "best Hearts related quote" thread Dave Mackay features prominently. Thought it worth bumping a very old thread about a true Hearts (and Scotland and Spurs and Derby) legend.

Indeed ... a legend for all his clubs and country but first, last and always a proud Heart of Midlothian man ... all time hero for me.

I hope his health is holding up as I don't think he has been well fro some time.

I'm sure in an interview with Jimmy Armfield on the tranny, he was asked about the Spurs Double winning Season and was nervous and was that the pinnical of his career.

He said , along the lines of," No, I won a Double with The Hearts and nothing beats that".

Hearts Heritage

I've also had the good fortune to meet Dave Mackay, Alex Young told me at the same 'do' that Dave Mackay was the main reason Hearts won so much in the '50s.'

His partnership with John Cumming

Hearts were seen as a 'fancy team' who would fail to win anything. Until that partnership between JC and DM

Seem to remember in his book he got a Jag as part of the deal to join them and the first thing he did was to paint it maroon. Jambolegend

Francis Albert

Seem to remember in his book he got a Jag as part of the deal to join them and the first thing he did was to paint it maroon. Jambolegend

Not sure it was part of his signing deal but he got a Jag and had it resprayed maroon.

The People's Chimp

His partnership with John Cumming

Hearts were seen as a 'fancy team' who would fail to win anything. Until that partnership between JC and DM

Was the fancy team tag a hangover from earlier players and their 'fancy' reputations?

Bridge of Djoum

Had the immense pleasure of meeting him on Mcleod Street after the 2006 cup final.

I'm not normally one for gushing over people, and he was before my time, but I couldn't stop myself from practically running over and shaking his hand. He was a real gent too. 

I got a very good book a few years ago about the 100 best players of all time.

Dave MacKay made the list.

Quotes from players he played with and against were on his dedicated page and you really do get an insight to how much the man was revered.

I interviewed Dave at his home for Issue 3 of eighteen74.

Both he and his wife could not have been nicer and more generous. Lovely people.

GC

manaliveits105

I was in the Dome after a boring 0-0 against the hibs at Tynie and noticed Dave was in .I went up to his table and said he was my dads hero and could he sign my programme for me

"Only if you sign mine son" and I had to sign his - as he left a little later he waved his programme at me .Absolute gentleman as well as a legend.

I was in the Dome after a boring 0-0 against the hibs at Tynie and noticed Dave was in .I went up to his table and said he was my dads hero and could he sign my programme for me

"Only if you sign mine son" and I had to sign his - as he left a little later he waved his programme at me .Absolute gentleman as well as a legend.

Seems like a really humble guy.

A PHM like me. :verysmug:

I remember when I first heard the hearts song I assumed the lyrics were referring to Gary Mackay. :)

I also saw him at the cup parade in 06 after my dad had pointed him out to me.

Francis Albert

I remember when I first heard the hearts song I assumed the lyrics were referring to Gary Mackay. :)

I also saw him at the cup parade in 06 after my dad had pointed him out to me.

I fear that may be a not uncommon misconception among younger fans. Always annoyed me when Dave Mackay made a half time appearance at Tynecastle and got a relatively lukewarm reception compared to lesser but later players. Inevitable I suppose. Maybe in a few years some will think the song refers to Jamie Walker!

I fear that may be a not uncommon misconception among younger fans. Always annoyed me when Dave Mackay made a half time appearance at Tynecastle and got a relatively lukewarm reception compared to lesser but later players. Inevitable I suppose. Maybe in a few years some will think the song refers to Jamie Walker!

Or nicky walker.

That is a really great story and a fantastic memory for you

That is a really great story and a fantastic memory for you

Although always aware of how important Dave Mackay was as, one thing that sticks out for me happened nearly 15 years ago. Mr Mackay's playing days were well before I started watching football.

I had went to George Street to meet up with an old work colleague from the south of England who was on a stag weekend. Mr Mackay was in the pub with a group of friends/family. The stag group was about 30 strong of various Southern and Midlands teams and I've never seen excitement like it when meeting an old player. Genuine excitement.

That's when I realised how famous or admired he is in football outside Hearts. Spurs and Derby. He's cool as ****.

Exactly! It makes me want to spew when you hear the likes of Pressley and Hartley being talked about as legends. They would not have been good enough to carry the hamper when Mackay, John Cumming, Alex Young and George Thomson played.

Skacel, Pressley, Hartley, etc, just do not come close to the true meaning of 'a Hearts Legend'.

Dave Mackay, Willie Bauld, Jim Cruikshank and (IMO) John Robertson are truly worthy of that accolade.

Skacel, Pressley, Hartley, etc, just do not come close to the true meaning of 'a Hearts Legend'.

Dave Mackay, Willie Bauld, Jim Cruikshank and (IMO) John Robertson are truly worthy of that accolade.

I get why you are referencing Skacel and Hartley, but even mentioning Pressley in the same breath of Dave Mackay is incredibly offensive.

I get why you are referencing Skacel and Hartley, but even mentioning Pressley in the same breath of Dave Mackay is incredibly offensive.

I apologise to Dave.

Problem is many on here seem to think Pressley IS a Legend!  :uhoh2:

You don't consider Skacel to be a legend? 3 goals in 2 cup finals and the only player to ever win 2 Scottish Cup medals with us? I'd swap him with Cruiky on your list.

Archived