Michael Stewart - No room in midfield, sorry !

Midloth_Iain

Wonder how he feels at the moment.

Was pretty much a "first pick" for Csaba, even when not playing well, yet as soon as his ban kicks in, his replacement and those around him start to play our best football of the season.

On current form, Ruben, Karapidis and Aguiar more than deserve to stay in the team.

Good to have some healthy competition in midfield. :cool:

It will be interesting. Our discipline (Wallace's foolishness yesterday apart) and team spirit have been exemplary in his absence. Maybe there's no connection. But maybe there is.

Anyway, it's good to have the option of a decent footballer on the bench. Personally I don't think he should walk straight back into a winning team.

Football is a squad game. I think Bruno, Ruben and Karapidis are the men in possession and Stewart should have to bide his time to get a starting slot again.

Saying that, injuries and suspension happen. Players tire, their form will inevitably dip at times (with the best will in the world Bruno cannot sustain his current form week in week out until May, much like Skacel a few years ago).

So it's important to have plenty options. A fit focused Stewart is therefore a valuable member of the squad and I'm glad to have him.

Was pretty much a "first pick" for Csaba, even when not playing well, yet as soon as his ban kicks in, his replacement and those around him start to play our best football of the season.

On current form, Ruben, Karapidis and Aguiar more than deserve to stay in the team.

i started a thread about stewart a while back. i had a feeling he might be the one to get emptied, or in this case find it hard to break back in.

nowt wrong with competition. stewart may have to wait for a chance and he will just have to accept that.

A fit focused Stewart is therefore a valuable member of the squad and I'm glad to have him.

Yep, me too.

I also think he will relish fighting to get his place back which can only be good for the team....

We're a better team without Stewart in it, IMO.

I agree and have been saying it for months.

The Falkirk game last week and the Rangers game yesterday were our two best performances of the season by a distance. I'm sure that the absence of Stewart running around like a headless chicken in midfield, giving the ball away and committing needless fouls was a significant factor.

Unfortunately, I suspect he will be back in the team next week.

Stewart on form is a starter for me though I thought Ruben had an excellent game yesterday and I can't see Csaba messing with the midfield right now.

It's good that we have the option of playing a ball winner in midfield or someone a bit more creative.

A fit focused Stewart is therefore a valuable member of the squad and I'm glad to have him.

I agree. He will just have to sit on the bench and then if he gets a chance, take it.....just like Ruben has.

MaskedMagician

It's good now there's a bit of competition for centre midfield but i think Bruno and Ruben should keep their places at the moment.

Our three men in midfield all had calm head yesterday and this was what allowed them to dominate.

They did not get flustered, they did not run about like headless chickens.

They simply kept possession, picked their passes and kept calm.

Palazaelos has played very well in the past two games whereas previously I thought he was an unneeded person in midfield.

Right now, until Palazaelos messes up, he is ahead of Stewart.

First choice in midfield is certainly Karipidis.

I would very much like a midfielder to play alongside Karipidis and Aguiar in the centre who were of better quality than both Stewart and Palazaelos, not sure if we can get this though.

Carl Weathers

I like Stewart but I believe he has to earn his place back in the team. Ruben has came in and done well.

Competition is a beautiful thing.

I wonder who will slot into Left back for Motherwell? Jonsson?

Or maybe Karipidis will move there and Stewart will go into the middle?

My preference would be to use either Rapnik or Brown.

What he will actually do is play Obua there.

If he moves Bruno, Karapidis or Ruben just now to accomodate Stewart that would be a huge mistake IMO.

My preference would be to use either Rapnik or Brown.

What he will actually do is play Obua there.

If he moves Bruno, Karapidis or Ruben just now to accomodate Stewart that would be a huge mistake IMO.

Very true.

I just mentioned it as an option, but as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I think probably playing Jonsson at Left back would be the best option, as Rapnik or Brown won't have the required first team experience - a scottish cup match against lower oppostion would be a better time for them.

Isnt it just great to have Midfielders on the pitch or waiting their chance on the bench ..........rather than being sat in the stand while center halfs roam about in those positions ( leaving aside Kari's re-invention of course :rolleyes: )

that defo wont happen...........................

jonsson or oboua(outside chance) will start at leftback imo..............

that defo wont happen...........................

jonsson or oboua(outside chance) will start at leftback imo..............

Not convinced about starting Eggert. Obua is the natural left footer so would be a better choice for me unless the likes of Rapnik can step in.

I agree and have been saying it for months.

The Falkirk game last week and the Rangers game yesterday were our two best performances of the season by a distance. I'm sure that the absence of Stewart running around like a headless chicken in midfield, giving the ball away and committing needless fouls was a significant factor.

Unfortunately, I suspect he will be back in the team next week.

I agree with your middle para, Stirlo, but hope you are wrong with your last one.

Yesterday's team, with the obvious exception of the suspended Wallace, deserves another chance.

The question I ask myself is would we have done better yesterday with Stewart in the team and the answer "no" keeps coming back. He would have tried to mix it with the Rangers thugs and would have been sent off, giving Dougie McDonald an easy target.

The Old Tolbooth
We're a better team without Stewart in it, IMO.

Absolutely!

Stewart is a liability half the time, he should be kept on the bench as used as a sub, and if he didn't like it then he knows where the door is.

Jambof3tornado

Stewart is the kind of player who will want to fight to get back into the team,which means he will be pushing our other starters hard,that benefits the team so can only be good. I think we miss his desire when he isnt playing but too many times his desire overboils and we end up in trouble because of him.

Obua at LB for saturday,dont go 'effin around with the midfield,the balance is just fine right now.

i know what you are all saying but it's a team game, stewart has played well in afew matches early in the season, FM there was even a thread about him becoming captain a (good) few weeks back, football is liquid , things change every match he will come in and as a team we will progress there is no point having a go at someone who has had no influence on the team in recent weeks, who's to say we wouldn't have scored a cou[le if he was involved?????

after the last few week's i have faih in csaba , whatever he decides seem's to work.

mon' the Hearts............FTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stewart has been a foolish hothead throughout his career, however on their best form I would have a midfield of Kingston Aguair Stewart Driver, now if only we had a partner for Nade!

Sorry even though they have improved we will not go forward with Ruben or Karapidis in midfield.........

Going to have to disagree with most on here.Stewart should be in there ahead of Ruben.He get's caught far too much with the ball.Caught again a few times on Sat and is also so 1 footed its scary.Decent player but not for me.

Ruben looked good and played well against rangers as basically our midfield played with two holding midfielders. Ruben & Karapidis. i.e. we let Rangers come to us and we soaked them up, using Aguiar, the foil for Nade, as an extra midfielder. Don't get me wrong, it worked (obviously!) so nothing wrong with that!

That same midfield the week before against Falkirk had no creativity though. I felt we missed Stewart in that game as we needed to set the tempo and take the game to them.

That said, Kingston helped us out immensely yesterday so perhaps with him in team we can actually accommodate the two holding midfielders.

For once a nice conundrum to have.

Stewart has been a foolish hothead throughout his career, however on their best form I would have a midfield of Kingston Aguair Stewart Driver, now if only we had a partner for Nade!

Sorry even though they have improved we will not go forward with Ruben or Karapidis in midfield.........

100% agree. Teams and formations for different games but I agree with you that is our best midfield

Maybe the knowledge that he will have to fight for his place will do Stewart no harm at all. Being an automatic choice often does good players no good what so ever. I'd hazard a guess that he'll be on the bench on Saturday.

Werent we all saying this about larry on friday? Everybody huffing and puffing about his form then suddenly one good game against teddy bears hes god's gift.

It's only right mikey gets another chance, even if showing what he can do off the bench until proven back to his best.

Jam Tarts 1874

The difference in the morale of the players over the past two games demonstrates the negative affect that Stewart has on his colleagues.

Our players, particularly the midfield were able to express themselves and risk making mistakes without having Billy big baws racing 30 yards to shout abuse straight into their faces. It is so obvious that the rest of the players hate him and don't respond well to his inclusion in the team.

I would like to see a rotation policy with regards to Stewart and Palazuelos because while they both play the same position I still see two completely different midfield players who play at their best in very different occasions.

Stewart brings a lot of energy to the team, especially when we have the ball when he can be very direct and creative at times. Where as Palazuelos never really looks like doing anything in the final third with the exception of a decent through ball every couple of games or so. At the same time Ruben has a very cool head under pressure... I don't think I even have to state what we think of Stewart with regard to that. There is also the fact that Ruben can always be counted on to keep it simple, keep the ball and keep possession where as Stewart can sometimes not be counted on to complete a five yard pass under little or no pressure.

I've seen people on this board say we should keep the current formation for games away from home and against the OF, playing 4-4-2 the rest of the time. While I don't agree with this (4-4-2 against Kilmarnock at home) I agree with the idea of changing things to give you a better chance of exploiting opponents.

So with that in mind I'd like to see Palazuelos remain in the team for the upcoming away game at Motherwell and then the daunting fixture at Parkhead. But regardless of performance I'd like to see Stewart brought back in for our home game against Dundee United. My thinking being that we'll need Ruben's composure in the tougher games but that Stewart's ability to add something in the final third will be needed in games where we are supposed to be attacking teams.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I think it is great that is now genuine competition for places. Previously, a number of players knew they that if they played poorly they would remain in the team. I don't think that is the case now.

Well done to Bruno, Ruben and Karipidis in making this happen. Hopefully a fully fit Larry can add to the competition.

Frankenstein Jambo.
The difference in the morale of the players over the past two games demonstrates the negative affect that Stewart has on his colleagues.

Our players, particularly the midfield were able to express themselves and risk making mistakes without having Billy big baws racing 30 yards to shout abuse straight into their faces. It is so obvious that the rest of the players hate him and don't respond well to his inclusion in the team.

I really doubt the rest of the team hate mikey. I have met him a few times and he is a very nice lad to speak to and i know that he's good friends with bruno a berra.

He is very passionate about the game and hearts and that often leads him to lose his temper. He needs to focus his passion in a more constructive way and I think Shabba will help him do that.

Mikey should come into the midfeild in place of ruben because he is far more creative. Ruben did play well againt rangers but i don't feel we need two holding midfielders against motherwell and Kari has been solid all season. Stewart will help add to the creativity of bruno and give him more freedom to open up the motherwell defence.

I think mikey's a good player but ruben seems to bring more balance to the formation that we are playing right now. Two hjolding mids allows the other three attacking players free licence to get forward.

With stewart in the team making forward runs either bruno or one of the wingers hasd to compersate and drop back and if communication breaks down a simple long ball will leave us short at the back.

Everyone in that midfield on Saturday deserves to start next week.

Stewart brings nothing to the team except losing possession and his cool.

Absolutely!

Stewart is a liability half the time, he should be kept on the bench as used as a sub, and if he didn't like it then he knows where the door is.

fingers crossed.....a player who is much misunderstood (by himself methinks)....never accepts responsibility for his mistakes (and he makes plenty) ...always someone else's fault.....his game against Celtic was the last straw for me :)

When Stewart is playing he wants to take all the corners, penalties and free kicks which begs the question "Would we have scored 2 goals from set pieces on Saturday?"

Agreed .:)

Its a shame we gave him his extension in the summer.

Could have been far better spent the money in doing so.

Stewart was probably our best player in the first 6-7 games.

Very decent midfielder on his day and never shirks responsibility even when he's not playing well.

He could do with "keeping the head" better in certain situations but generally he's a valuable 1st team player.

Why is it that some Hearts fans always need at least 1 player to villanize at any given time?

Stewart was probably our best player in the first 6-7 games.

Very decent midfielder on his day and never shirks responsibility even when he's not playing well.

He could do with "keeping the head" better in certain situations but generally he's a valuable 1st team player.

Why is it that some Hearts fans always need at least 1 player to villanize at any given time?

Absolutely. There are some very short memories around.

Stewart is a bit fiery and gets booked more than most but he's also contributed more than most this season.

Hard to believe that he's our top scorer when you read some of the comments on this thread.

I hope Stewart gets himself back in the side......because he is going to have to get back to the form he showed in the first two months.

Competition for places is not a negative and Mickey has the ability if his head in the right place. I wouldn't change the midfield at the the moment though, they were superb against the currant buns.

Elroyofderovers

Same midfield, Obua at left back.

We really need a striker though to come on after 60 - 70 mins for Nade. G.Glen would be my choice. Is he injured?

Not sure about the bit in bold but his frequent carping at some of his team-mates is not helpful.

I have no objection to him being on the bench for the next game but no way should he walk straight back into a team that has functioned pretty well in his absence. Surely, when your on a winning streak, changes should be kept to a minimum.

Hard to believe that he's our top scorer when you read some of the comments on this thread.

I'd give it to Bruno on alphabetical order :P

Guest JamboRobbo
When Stewart is playing he wants to take all the corners, penalties and free kicks which begs the question "Would we have scored 2 goals from set pieces on Saturday?"

Penalties, free kicks and corners, are taken by whoever the manager tells to take them. So where you get this Mikey Stewart "wants to take all the corners, penalties and free kicks" idea from I've no idea. It's up to the manager who takes them.

Moving out of fantasy land back to the real situation, my take is that the team played well without him, so Mikey should have to wait his turn.

Perhaps sitting on the bench for a few games due to getting a silly red card might make him think twice next time he feels like raising his hands to someone.......

Penalties, free kicks and corners, are taken by whoever the manager tells to take them. So where you get this Mikey Stewart "wants to take all the corners, penalties and free kicks" idea from I've no idea. It's up to the manager who takes them.

Moving out of fantasy land back to the real situation, my take is that the team played well without him, so Mikey should have to wait his turn.

Perhaps sitting on the bench for a few games due to getting a silly red card might make him think twice next time he feels like raising his hands to someone.......

agreed with above except that I'd replace"the bench" with "the stand" ;)

Archived