Can Hearts match or better Burley's run of 8 wins in a row

vegas-voss

Well can we ?

I know it's best to just take one game at a time but Burley's run is always mentioned by the press right now so it would be great to get that monkey of our back.

portobellojambo1
Well can we ?

I know it's best to just take one game at a time but Burley's run is always mentioned by the press right now so it would be great to get that monkey of our back.

Personally I don't think it was specifically the number of consecutive games we won that got the press talking vega-voss, I think it was a combination of things which included that run, i.e. the manner in which we were playing as well, the fact it happened right at the start of the season, and I think they were probably also interested with regards to Skacel's involvement, and his run of at least a goal per game and a potential new record.

That's by the by though, I can see us winning next weekend at Motherwell if we approach it correctly, however the scunner game could be the following week at Parkhead, where the referee/linesmen selected will play a huge part in the outcome. At this point in time I would be more than pleased to leave Parkhead with a point, or if we do lose I would accept it (reluctantly) if the performance level has lifted significantly from when they beat us at Tynecastle. If we had approached that game in the same manner we approached yesterday Celtic would have left Tynecastle defeated as well.

I honestly don't even want to think about it. Csabas spot on when he says we have to start each week from zero. Without disregarding the excellent result from yesterday and the current winning form, the team have to concentrate only on beating Murderwell and collecting 3 points. All the focus has to be on selecting the right team, tactics and discipline.

After the dismal performances of the last 2 years and our morale sapping position at the end of last season Csaba needs to manage the fans expectations. A top six position after the split must be our first objective. Where we lie within that top 6 will possibly determine whether we get a Europa spot.

If the fans have a reasonable expectation by the new year, we might see a few thousand buy up the 1/2 season tickets.

Well can we ?

Yes, we have a top manager and top players.

Well can we ?

I think that's unlikely looking at our games in December (Darkhead in particular). If we take yesterday's level of effort/performance into the next few games then I for one would be more than happy & I'm sure the point tally will keep totting up as a result.

Not trying to be pedantic, but the maroon tinted glasses we all wear at times can result in rather "selective" memories of past times.

We didn't ever actually win eight games in a row under Burley, we got pumped out the League Cup by Livingston during the run we all remember.

No but I'd argue that, should we beat Motherwell, it will be almost as worthy of praise as Burley's run because we have 'lesser players' at the moment.

No but I'd argue that, should we beat Motherwell, it will be almost as worthy of praise as Burley's run because we have 'lesser players' at the moment.

I'm not so sure -- while the manner of the victories shouldn't really matter, and I think Csaba is doing fantasically well with what he's got at his disposal, I still have that feeling that we could easily get pumped rotten in our next three games.

Not something I could have said half-way through the Burley run.

Still, I'm predicting we'll defeat Motherwell, lose to Celtic, then hopefully sneak a win agains Sc*mdee United.

If we draw against Celtic and win the other two, then it'll be a truly amazing run given where we were at the start of the season.

I don't understand why we should fear Motherwell.

They're gash this season, our players are flying, we've beaten them already and we've won our last 4 SPL matches at Fir Park.

I really hope so because i'll be honest. I'm sick to death of referencing the 'Burley era'

Time to move on. Valdas won us the cup, remember?

Things are moving in the right direction for the first time in a couple of years.

It's time to sing and praise the Csaba. :cool:

They're gash this season, our players are flying, we've beaten them already and we've won our last 4 SPL matches at Fir Park.

Agreed

Provided we can keep up the teamwork / workrate and our application then I think we could take the points at Firpark and Aberdeen. We'll have to watch that Levein doesn't manage to nullify us again at Tynie though - however I believe our midfield is now posing teams far more problems than when we relied solely on Mikey Stewart ( which CL obviously picked up on in previous visits )

As for the Celtic game. Well I'll just be happy if we come out and perform on the day

To do so would mean winning at darkheid, and tbh i cant see that happening, ill be happy with a draw against the filth. No reason why we cant make it 6 out of 6 though by beating murderwell next week, the team is growing each week as the run continues and you can see a confidence in the team that hasnt been there for a couple of years anyway, I would be astounded if we pulled of a result against the filth though, but if we did then we have to seriously look at possibly a second place finish again, at the moment its probably just a dream to get second, the longer our run continues though the more it becomes a very possible reality.

Precisely why we should fear them

Never mind winning 8 on the trot. With the team we have, should we manage to avoid defeat at Fir Park and 'Paradise' it'll be a greater achievement than anything Burley done at Hearts.

I don't think we will however.

I really hope so because i'll be honest. I'm sick to death of referencing the 'Burley era'

Time to move on. Valdas won us the cup, remember?

Things are moving in the right direction for the first time in a couple of years.

It's time to sing and praise the Csaba. :cool:

Valdas won the cup with Burleys team.

Csaba has us in a good third place with Korobochka's/Frail's/Cervenkov's team

We'll have moved on fully when the current manager hangs around for long enough to play his own team

Motherwell are mince. Aberdeen and Hibs can beat them, so why can't we?

To the original question, can we win 8 in a row? Probably not, no, with Celtic coming up.

I'd think REMAINING UNBEATEN in 8 games would be a more reasonable aim.

Valdas won the cup with Burleys team.

Csaba has us in a good third place with Korobochka's/Frail's/Cervenkov's team

We'll have moved on fully when the current manager hangs around for long enough to play his own team

Almost.

Valdas won the cup with Burleys and Vlads team.

Goncalves, Tall, Miko, Janny et al all played a part in Heart of Midlothian bringing the Scottish cup to Tynecastle.

Motherwell are mince. Aberdeen and Hibs can beat them, so why can't we?

To the original question, can we win 8 in a row? Probably not, no, with Celtic coming up.

I'd think REMAINING UNBEATEN in 8 games would be a more reasonable aim.

If we can avoid defeat against Celtic and Dundee Utd, we should be thinking about an unbeaten run FAR FAR longer than 8 games (when you look at the fixtures that follow ) Apart from a tricky wee trip to Kilmarnock I dont see a game that worries me until the end of February

As always the next game is the most important.

With Motherwell getting stuffed by Hibs and Aberdeen in recent weeks, and with us being on a great wee run of form I would hope that we can extend it to a 6 game winning streak!

I am not looking beyond next weekend in terms of games, we just need to keep it going week in week out.

Almost.

Valdas won the cup with Burleys and Vlads team.

Goncalves, Tall, Miko, Janny et al all played a part in Heart of Midlothian bringing the Scottish cup to Tynecastle.

By the same token, Paul Hartley and Steven Pressley did more than most to win us the cup that season so I suppose it could be said we won it with Burley/Levein/Romanovs team ?

Nelly Terraces

We have to go to that Lanarkshire slagheap believing we can do the bizzo there, but not getting carried away. Self belief, organisation and a bit of skill got us through yesterday, we have to apply the same, but I'd say, to an even higher degree at that sh*thole. Not an easy win by any means, but deffo achievable if we go there in the right frame opf mind prepared to scarp and abttle for 90 minutes and let the playmakers do the rest.

Gorgie Rules - FTM - unemployable vermin.

By the same token, Paul Hartley and Steven Pressley did more than most to win us the cup that season so I suppose it could be said we won it with Burley/Levein/Romanovs team ?

Football is a team game and I find your post a wee bit strange.

All involved with Heart of Midlothian FC in 2006 helped us win the Scottish cup.

Victor Meldrew

I remember that in the long unbeaten run of 1985/86 the mantra was taking it one game at a time. The moment we start to think about games two or three weeks away, we'll lose.

FWIW I don't think we'll win eight in a row, but as others have said, there's no reason to think we can't go 8 games (or more) unbeaten. I say this because there is no team in the SPL that is unbeatable at the moment. whilst Celtic are 7 points clear, it is largely because they are more consistent (and have got the rub of the green more) than other teams: 'in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king'!

Even if we don't win eight in a row, we've managed something this season that Burley didn't: winning at Falkirk!

Even if we don't win eight in a row, we've managed something this season that Burley didn't: winning at Falkirk!

Except we lost at Falkirk :)

Football is a team game............

All involved with Heart of Midlothian FC in 2006 helped us win the Scottish cup.

Well blow me if you dont get hit with some spellbinding realisations on here sometimes.

Well blow me if you dont get hit with some spellbinding realisations on here sometimes.

God, you really are a highly strung little person aren't you?

Away and visit a sauna.

when was the last time we won 5 in a row before Burley?

as was previously said we never won 5 in a row inder burley livingson scuppered that

God, you really are a highly strung little person aren't you?

Away and visit a sauna.

You started the childish personal sniping (yet again) Dont dish it out if you cant take it back

I reckon we'll get to 6 and lose to Celtic.

Agreed. Parkhead will be a step too far IMO. If we win at Motherwell and Parkhead then IMO Laszlo's eight in a row would be better than Burleys.

It is important that we do not place too much importance on matching that record though, If Laszlo can turn the club around and get a good league placing that will do me fine.

You started the childish personal sniping (yet again) Dont dish it out if you cant take it back

'Personal' ?

Aye ok.

:wacko:

as was previously said we never won 5 in a row inder burley livingson scuppered that

Burley won 8 in a row before losing to Livingston in the league cup

Jog on, youve been doing it for getting on for two years now you tiresome individual

:D

Why don't you put me on ignore? Oh wait.......:D

Always the victim OAG, poor you.

:sad:

Agreed. Parkhead will be a step too far IMO. If we win at Motherwell and Parkhead then IMO Laszlo's eight in a row would be better than Burleys.

It is important that we do not place too much importance on matching that record though, If Laszlo can turn the club around and get a good league placing that will do me fine.

Burley's team had better players in most, if not all, positions. For Csaba to win 8 in a row would be a massive achievement.

Burley's team had better players in most, if not all, positions. For Csaba to win 8 in a row would be a massive achievement.

I agree, hence my statement that it would be IMO a "better" run of games than the Burley run. However any such run is not the be all and end all, if offered a defeat against Motherwell in exchange for third place at the end of the season, I would happily (well, grudgingly) accept the offer.

Clown

With regret, I've had to report you for that post, Just like I've had to previously.

I doubt there will be any repercussions for your good self. If you are able to throw unfounded accusations around of someone being a bigot and avoid being punished, I doubt calling someone a 'clown' will amount to much.

I hope you are not going to be responsible for the closure of yet another thread.

:sad:

With regret, I've had to report you for that post, Just like I've had to previously.

Now who's playing the victim ?

Now who's playing the victim ?

I'm not playing anything. I am the victim of the personal abuse you decided to throw at me.

I'd rather you put me on ignore (again) I think that would be the best for all concerned.

Ta.

I'm not playing anything. I am the victim of the personal abuse you decided to throw at me.

I'd rather you put me on ignore (again) I think that would be the best for all concerned.

Ta.

Dont YOU have the ignore option at your end ? Its not rocket science I'm sure the mods can show you how to work it.

Better still, just stop responding in a childish manner and trying to deflect the blame on to others. You'll find you comply with the rules and stay suspension free for a lot longer than you seem to do currently..

I hope this helps.

Dont YOU have the ignore option at your end ? Its not rocket science I'm sure the mods can show you how to work it.

Better still, just stop responding in a childish manner and trying to deflect the blame on to others. You'll find you comply with the rules and stay suspension free for a lot longer than you seem to do currently..

I hope this helps.

I once 'ignored' someone. I didn't like it. I could still see what they posted when they were quoted in someone elses post. I guess that was the problem you had when I was on your ignore list?

Quite a flaw in the system, I'm sure you'll agree.

Perhaps I could ignore the rules, accuse others of being a bigot, throw personal abuse around and still stay suspension free, That seems to work for some.

I think I might try that.

Thanks.

Archived