Ogilvie interview in The Scotsman

Geoff Kilpatrick

Good feeling about the place just now. Everything going in the right direction.

whisper it..... i think vlad might have learnt from past mistakes. Cue the abuse....

Two "positive and major commercial partnerships" are due to be announced within the next few weeks.

Interesting. Shirt and stadium sponsors maybe?

"There is a perception that refereeing decisions go against Hearts but there are other clubs with the same issues.

Amen to that.

What a shame that the Hootsmon didn't do a proper interview and explore this a bit further.

Interesting. Shirt and stadium sponsors maybe?

new bovril suppliers and they're bringin bringin back wagonwheels!

Na, sounds interesting. A stadium sponsor would be HUGE!!! so i wont get too excited, but any deals sponsorships etc are good. Even the thing wi the ruggerbuggers shows the club are trying to move forward and all the community work frankly puts other clubs to shame

I was particularly intrigued by these two paragraphs:

Part of Ogilvie's remit is to overhaul the structure of the club whereby the wages to turnover ratio drops to 50 per cent. Thereafter, plans to directly reinvest transfer fees received for players who have graduated from Hearts' youth academy into buying others up to the age of 16 from other clubs are afoot. Ogilvie has played a leading role in the Heart of Midlothian Community and Education Trust, a body which looks to encourage fans of the future and gained recognition at Downing Street earlier this year.

Two "positive and major commercial partnerships" are due to be announced within the next few weeks; on the field, Ogilvie wants to see Hearts play in front of average crowds of 20,000 at the new Tynecastle, regularly featuring in Europe while having the possibility of "pipping" the Old Firm. A key to all of these aspirations, he insists, is stability.

Part of Ogilvie's remit is to overhaul the structure of the club whereby the wages to turnover ratio drops to 50 per cent. Thereafter, plans to directly reinvest transfer fees received for players who have graduated from Hearts' youth academy into buying others up to the age of 16 from other clubs are afoot. Ogilvie has played a leading role in the Heart of Midlothian Community and Education Trust, a body which looks to encourage fans of the future and gained recognition at Downing Street earlier this year.

Two "positive and major commercial partnerships" are due to be announced within the next few weeks; on the field, Ogilvie wants to see Hearts play in front of average crowds of 20,000 at the new Tynecastle, regularly featuring in Europe while having the possibility of "pipping" the Old Firm. A key to all of these aspirations, he insists, is stability.

THe bit i've highlighted caught my eye too. Good idea, but makes me wonder what we'd spend on a 15 yo? Say we get ?2m for Berra and we reinvest it on players under the age of 16 - how many do we get etc....??

Have i read it wrong? Not disagreeing with it, Arsenal do it to good effect

"There is a perception that refereeing decisions go against Hearts but there are other clubs with the same issues.

Amen to that.

What a shame that the Hootsmon didn't do a proper interview and explore this a bit further.

I don't know how many parts there are going to be but this is just part 1...

Anyway, it wouldn't have been appropriate for them to push too much on that subject, that isn't what the interview seems to be about...it's about Hearts and how it's managed. Plus, CO can't really go saying too much about that even if he wanted to.

Interesting interview nonetheless and it's reassuring to hear how positive CO is about the club's plans for the future, and about Romanov.

THe bit i've highlighted caught my eye too. Good idea, but makes me wonder what we'd spend on a 15 yo? Say we get ?2m for Berra and we reinvest it on players under the age of 16 - how many do we get etc....??

Have i read it wrong? Not disagreeing with it, Arsenal do it to good effect

I honestly couldn't answer that and if CO did perhaps he might lose an advantage over other clubs.

Why don't we wait and see and be grateful that we seem to be doing things in a considered way.

Why do we sceptically try to dissect promising news?

I honestly couldn't answer that and if CO did perhaps he might lose an advantage over other clubs.

Why don't we wait and see and be grateful that we seem to be doing things in a considered way.

Why do we sceptically try to dissect promising news?

Sorry dude, really really wasn't being sceptical, i was actually wondering if i'd read it wrong!!!

I think it's a crackin idea. Makes perfect sense to build from a young age, create a cinveyor belt, this also starts to create a very positive reputation - ie if we have a good few young boys who develop into premiership players, agents etc will be happier to r4ecomment us to their players etc

More than happy to wait and trust!!! I'm an optomistic jambo to a downfall!

Geoff Kilpatrick

As was I. It seems to be the first indication of a club strategy away from the drift of the past two years. Now, that strategy can be criticised (constructively) but at least we have an idea of the club's direction over the next few years.

Cue the "but we were promised the Champions League, we were promised World Cup stars" etc etc :rolleyes:

Sorry dude, really really wasn't being sceptical, i was actually wondering if i'd read it wrong!!!

I think it's a crackin idea. Makes perfect sense to build from a young age, create a cinveyor belt, this also starts to create a very positive reputation - ie if we have a good few young boys who develop into premiership players, agents etc will be happier to r4ecomment us to their players etc

More than happy to wait and trust!!! I'm an optomistic jambo to a downfall!

As a long suffering Jambo I would prefer if we didn't use words like "downfall". They come to fruition too often.

As a long suffering Jambo I would prefer if we didn't use words like " downfall". They come to fruition too often.

Fair play!!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
As was I. It seems to be the first indication of a club strategy away from the drift of the past two years. Now, that strategy can be criticised (constructively) but at least we have an idea of the club's direction over the next few years.

Cue the "but we were promised the Champions League, we were promised World Cup stars" etc etc :rolleyes:

I never understand why otherwise sensible posters get so worked up by idiots. Why do you care so much if we get the responses you mention? They're the views of morons. No sensible, intelligent Vlad sceptic comes out with that crap.

Great article by the way. The most encouraging, reasonable and conciliatory words from the club since Romanov arrived, IMO.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I never understand why otherwise sensible posters get so worked up by idiots. Why do you care so much if we get the responses you mention? They're the views of morons. No sensible, intelligent Vlad sceptic comes out with that crap.

Great article by the way. The most encouraging, reasonable and conciliatory words from the club since Romanov arrived, IMO.

I'm not - I'm just pointing out that this will be the sum total of their contribution to this thread.

Good article. Sounds very promising. I'm so glad we have someone with the experience Campbell Ogilvie has, in there. I'm certainly hopeful for the future of the club at the moment. Looking forward to reading the rest of the interview.

Lynn:ninja:

Guest GhostHunter

Great article...

Thereafter, plans to directly reinvest transfer fees received for players who have graduated from Hearts' youth academy into buying others up to the age of 16 from other clubs are afoot
:clap:

As has been said before, the time to worry, would be when that man walks away from the club....

Sensible comments from CO. You would not really expect anything else from someone like him.

Of course it makes sense to run the club on a sustainable basis. With sensible targets.

However, 2 things strike me 1) VR was talking about the 'mafia' in Scottish football this season and 2) where does this professionalism at the club (which CO would appear to embody) square with the treatment of some employees/den mothers etc.

Great article...

:clap:

As has been said before, the time to worry, would be when that man walks away from the club....

Worrying if he was to resign/leave/walk away with no job to go to.

Not too worrying if he left to take a top job elsewhere ie SFA/SPL etc.

Great article though. An indication of some what our plans are.

I don't know how many parts there are going to be but this is just part 1...

Anyway, it wouldn't have been appropriate for them to push too much on that subject, that isn't what the interview seems to be about...it's about Hearts and how it's managed. Plus, CO can't really go saying too much about that even if he wanted to.

Interesting interview nonetheless and it's reassuring to hear how positive CO is about the club's plans for the future, and about Romanov.

Csaba and John Murray interviews to follow.

Excellant article.

Charlie-Brown

I think they must have got the age wrong for young players as far as I know it is not possible to trade players under the age of 16, they cannot even sign professional contracts until age 16 - UEFA are in the process of creating legislation to close loopholes and prevent any player transfers below the age of 18 to protect clubs investments in youth development, maybe the article meant up to the age of 19?

Anyway what seems clear is that Hearts look set to continue to invest in younger players and transfer spending on established players is less likely.

Jam Tarts 1874

Good to read Cambell Ogilvie's views, this is the kind of high-level comment that alot of us have been calling for for a long time.

Lots of positives particularly with regard to the redevelopment of Tynecastle and lots to look forward to - now if only Nade could find his shooting boots for Saturday....

It's a shame it has taken 3 years for this kind of stuff to come from Campbell Ogilvie. In my opinion this is the kind of stuff we should be hearing every pre season at least.

Good on the Scotsman for a balanced structure to their reporting at last as well.

I'm a much happier Jambo this morning.

Csaba and John Murray interviews to follow.

Excellant article.

Im guessing the Csaba article will be in installments?

Good article, from someone actually directly involved with the club and knowledgeable.

Wholly honest and positive outlook.

Guest JamboRobbo

I like what CO has to say, and good to hear someone giving this sort of info.

But actions speak louder than words. Which I think CO seems to realise too.

I'll believe the mad ones madness has stopped only when I see it over a sustained period with my own eyes.

I think they must have got the age wrong for young players as far as I know it is not possible to trade players under the age of 16, they cannot even sign professional contracts until age 16 - UEFA are in the process of creating legislation to close loopholes and prevent any player transfers below the age of 18 to protect clubs investments in youth development, maybe the article meant up to the age of 19?

Anyway what seems clear is that Hearts look set to continue to invest in younger players and transfer spending on established players is less likely.

Kids as young as 9 year old are being signed.

UEFA might be trying to create some sort of legislation but it'd be extremely easy to get round. Club's hand out lucrative scholarships for young prodigies.

It's a shame it has taken 3 years for this kind of stuff to come from Campbell Ogilvie. In my opinion this is the kind of stuff we should be hearing every pre season at least.

Good on the Scotsman for a balanced structure to their reporting at last as well.

Totally agree

Shame there is a disconnect between how Ogilvie speaks, goes about his business and expresses how the club should move forward, and how Romanov goes about his business

That said, if the stories from the turn of this year are true - that Vlad has been put in his box a bit by bods at UBIG and told to me more hands off - this can only be a good thing.

If Csaba survives his trial period whereby he is eventually allowed to be his own boss and Vlad exists simply as a means for us to retain our overdraft with UKIO and possibly get the occasional genuinely talented player from Kaunas.....

...but that does feel like a bit of a pipe dream

I was intrigued by this bit:-

Such words should placate onlookers, who have been concerned that the current global economic downturn may have a direct impact on Hearts' stadium plans. "It is a current climate, things will change," Ogilvie insisted. "It is now a new stand development which is starting today," Ogilvie insisted. "It has been a long process, we are just at another stage at the moment."

Does this mean that the grander plans (hotel, offices etc) have been shelved in favour of, perhaps in ths short term, a smaller, cheaper, quicker and simpler stadium development only involving the ground itself?

Good interview, I just wish Hearts had come out with this strategy three years ago (reduce wages to turnover, invest in quality youth), I think the support would have embraced it with all the good will towards Romanov at the time.

I was confused by the part on the main stand redevelopment which wasn't very well written. Did anyone else get the impression that there are changes being made to the application i.e. stand redevelopment only, no hotel? Or is that wishful thinking on my part?

4000 of them have turned their backs on the club.

More of the same please! Excellent interview and timing wise, yes it could have been at the start of the season, who knows it probably would have sold more ST's but on the eve of a massive game its music to the ears of those who did dig deep pre season.

Moan the Hearts.

jambos are go!

All good stuff. Wonder if it was the SFA job he turned down. The most important point to me is to get attendances up to an average of 20,000. Key IMO to put the club permanently up a notch nearer the OF.

This is all very good, very encouraging stuff. The gradual turnaround in the club towards one run sensibly, coherently and within its means appears to be continuing - and Ogilvie's presence remains an immensely reassuring one. Some of the ambitions he's mentioned seem quite idealistic to me, and vaguely remind me of Pieman's Five Year Plan from 2000; and the stadium appears ever more to be a very long-term goal. But these are minor quibbles in the great scheme of things: progress is clearly being made. That's great, and all that can be asked for.

Such words should placate onlookers, who have been concerned that the current global economic downturn may have a direct impact on Hearts' stadium plans. "It is a current climate, things will change," Ogilvie insisted. "It is now a new stand development which is starting today," Ogilvie insisted. "It has been a long process, we are just at another stage at the moment."

Does this mean that the grander plans (hotel, offices etc) have been shelved in favour of, perhaps in ths short term, a smaller, cheaper, quicker and simpler stadium development only involving the ground itself?

I was wondering this also."It is now a new stand development"suggests something different is going on.

"Two "positive and major commercial partnerships" are due to be announced within the next few weeks; on the field, Ogilvie wants to see Hearts play in front of average crowds of 20,000 at the new Tynecastle"

I found this strange.Maybe wishful thinking but this phrase made me think that a new stand was more imminent.I dont think that CO is into pulling the wool over our eyes.

Whatever,CO appears to have a good relationship with Vlad and this article offers the fans a realistic insight into the direction the club is going.

Good article from CO

Also really heartened to read the other small article about him turning down another offer to stay with hearts.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Ogilvie-said-no-to-job.4736115.jp

The bit that most pleased me was that if hearts do make it into europe he will be pushing for us to play the games at tynecastle.

i think that is a must if we are to be successful in europe, murrayfield brings in more revenue but tynecastle will be a harder place for teams to visit and potentially help us on the park

All good stuff. Wonder if it was the SFA job he turned down. The most important point to me is to get attendances up to an average of 20,000. Key IMO to put the club permanently up a notch nearer the OF.

I've often wondered if we have the capability of putting ourselves in a permanent intermediate position between the OF and the rest. I used to hope we could finish 3rd four or five years on the bounce, so engendering a psychological edge in our players, fear in our rivals, and getting to the point whereby the media talk as much about "Celtic, Rangers and Hearts" as "Celtic and Rangers".

Certainly, any OF-supporting mates of mine all say they know that if any new challenge's ever going to come, it'll surely be from us; but remember that they'll both probably increase their capacities still further in the years ahead too. And because we'll always sell players on to bigger clubs, break up the team and rebuild it, we'll probably always be in a battle with the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs and Dundee United. In truth, there'll never be a genuine Third Force until someone outwith Glasgow wins trophies and challenges for the title regularly - and that may well be too big an ask.

Let me clarify

"It is now a new stand development which is starting today," Ogilvie insisted. "It has been a long process, we are just at another stage at the moment."

Should be not - if you read the context

WARNING POST MAY CONTAIN PEDANTRY - WARNING POST MAY CONTAIN PEDANTRY

Good interview, Rubbish geography

A Glaswegian who hails from "East of Harthill"?

Tynecastle being on the "Western Outskirts of Edinburgh"?

Thought it surprisingly thin to be honest. but then as he says himself: "We realise that only actions, not words, will work now."

Looking forward to the next instalments though...

The Old Tolbooth

If what was said in the article actually comes off, then I'll be a happy chappy, however history tells me not to get too excited about anything down Tynecastle way until it actually happens.

WARNING POST MAY CONTAIN PEDANTRY - WARNING POST MAY CONTAIN PEDANTRY

Good interview, Rubbish geography

A Glaswegian who hails from "East of Harthill"?

Tynecastle being on the "Western Outskirts of Edinburgh"?

Not how I read it. CO (A Weedgie) puts up as solid a case for VR as "anyone who hails from East of Harthill" (Edinburgh and environs).

Tynecastle is not a million miles away from the Western outskirts of Edinburgh either.

I think this is a misprint. He is discussing the stage in the project cycle we are in. It should have read "it is NOT a new stand development . . etc". It all makes sence after that.

edit - I see that others have already latched on to this.

Nelly Terraces
Not how I read it. CO (A Weedgie) puts up as solid a case for VR as "anyone who hails from East of Harthill" (Edinburgh and environs).

Tynecastle is not a million miles away from the Western outskirts of Edinburgh either.

Thats how I read it mate.

Good article from Ewan M. Just a chance that the club is slowly heading in the right direction.

The one thing I did find slightly strange was the comments about the stand. Its still viewed as very, important will happen etc, however, we have effectively stopped processing the planning application.

As I understand things, we have not stopped the application - CEC have come back asking for further information. Hearts agents will now be working on that information.

An excellent article though, I am dually heartened by it's content :)

However, 2 things strike me 1) VR was talking about the 'mafia' in Scottish football this season and .

Do you buy the Sun or the Record?

If the answer is yes, then stop reading that p i s h because the job of the tabloid is to spin a throwaway comment into something huge.

Buffalo Bill

Archived