This is why we are sitting 3rd, and why we must win on Saturday.

h-e-a-r-t-s

Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League

Record Versus Top-Half Opposition

Team Pld

1 Rangers

2 Celtic

3 Kilmarnock

4 Dundee United

5 Inverness C T

6 Falkirk

7 Aberdeen

8 Hibernian

9 St Mirren

10 Motherwell

11 Hamilton Academical

12 Heart of Midlothian

http://stats.football365.com/dom/SCO/PR/vtophalf.html

Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League

Record Versus Bottom-Half Opposition

Team Pld

1 Celtic

2 Heart of Midlothian

3 Rangers

4 Motherwell

5 Aberdeen

6 Dundee United

7 Hibernian

8 Inverness C T

9 St Mirren

10 Hamilton Academical

11 Falkirk

12 Kilmarnock

http://stats.football365.com/dom/SCO/PR/vbothalf.html

:eek:

Well, if anything spells out what the problem might be...that does a decent enough job....

I'm concerned by the confidence to be honest, I'd be delighted with a draw for this one. Taking points off the top 2 is one thing, but taking full points is quite another. Would be nice though....

Given we've only played 5 games against top half opposition while Hamilton/Motherwell/St Mirren/Aberdeen & Inverness have played 9, United and Falkirk 7, and Hibs 6. The stats are misleading to say the least...

Even the OF have played more.

Francis Albert

I don't understand why it follows "we must win on Saturday". The first two things that spring to my mind is that first and foremost we must keep up our results against the bottom six and second we must take more points against the non-OF teams in the top six. A win or even draw on Saturday would be a very welcome bonus.

I don't understand why it follows "we must win on Saturday". The first two things that spring to my mind is that first and foremost we must keep up our results against the bottom six and second we must take more points against the non-OF teams in the top six. A win or even draw on Saturday would be a very welcome bonus.

the headline was for dramatic effect. although I do think it's important that we start taking points from these games in order that we maintain our current position throughout the season.

that is a very good question.

That's why stats like these are pretty useless. You can only beat what's put in front of you and seeing were 3rd we must be the 3rd best in the league at doing this.

Hackney Hearts
that is a very good question.

Cos for instance - when we played Hamilton away, they were 4th and both sides had the chance to go top, so long as Kilmarnock didn't win away at Tannadice (which they did).

When we beat Motherwell 3-2 - what position were they?? I know they were tipped to be Top 4 material...........

The players should go out with the confidence that they can beat Rangers

The fans should go / watch the game with the expectation that we wont.

This would most likely lead to a scenario where we are factually more likely to get a result and less likely to be too upset if we dont

As I said when we went to Ibrox, the performance is more important than the result IMO - to the extent that if we lose as long as it is not in the same manner that we lost against Celtic and we actually take the game to them and play on the front foot this it what counts.

If we give the ball to them and play a sit back and counter attack game we'll be 2-0 down before the games 30 minutes old IMO

Francis Albert

As I said when we went to Ibrox, the performance is more important than the result IMO - to the extent that if we lose as long as it is not in the same manner that we lost against Celtic and we actually take the game to them and play on the front foot this it what counts.

Agree with that. Csaba should find a recording of our first home game against Rangers last season, to show the attitude with which we should approach the game.

Given we've only played 5 games against top half opposition while Hamilton/Motherwell/St Mirren/Aberdeen & Inverness have played 9, United and Falkirk 7, and Hibs 6. The stats are misleading to say the least...

Even the OF have played more.

Well Spotted

It must be said that our form in those five games hasn't been sparkling: Two Old Firm Defeats, A Creditable draw in Lochend, a defeat by Killie and a right gubbing at Tannadice.

Still that's only five games

There's also the question of whether the teams on 19 points (Hibs and Killie) are really a sufficiently different class from those on 17 & 18 (Motherwell, Inverness & Aberdeen ) to make the arbitrary distinction between them meaningfull.

If results elsewhere change the occupants of 5th and 6th we could lose to Rangers and still see our 'performance against the top 6' show as having improved.

After all; if the analysis is being used to suggest that Hearts' 3rd place is a false representation of their merit then presumably other teams are in false postions as well and the bottom six may not be the "real" bottom six.

It also exposes a circularity in the logic.

The assumption seems to be is that the causality is running one way only. Teams being in the bottom half means we do better than them.

Actually it works the other way round. Most of them are in whichever half they're in because of how we've done against them (or how they've done against us).

If Motherwell had won on Opening day they'd be 5th

If Kilmarnock hadn't won at Tynecastle They'd be 10th.

If Falkirk had they'd be 5th,

If Hibs had conceded a late winner in the derby they'd be 8th.

If Aberdeen had scored one at Tynecastle us they'd be 5th.

If Inverness had beatun us twice they'd be 4th, 3rd if they'd done it by heavy margins

That's not to say that the analysis is entirely meaningless merely that it exagerates what is going on

There are two valid points

Firstly our position is a bit flattering because we've had easier fixtures we've yet to play the Old Firm or Dundee United.

We're doing better against slightly poorer teams and not so well against slightly better ones (No really) and possibly a bit more than one would normally expect.

But it's easy to exagerate these points

What is more striking is the reasoning that draws the original poster to conclude that the Rangers game is one we particularly "must win"

Even if we accept the implication that we're currently good against the bottom teams and rotten against the middling and top teams surely the next objective would be efficiently taking out the middling teams.

If there's a "must win" game coming up I'd say it's the one on the 20th against Dundee United.

i think it might be possible to have paralysis of analysis here. you will get a fully evened out insight into how the team has performed against certain sides at the 22 game stage when everyone has played each other home and away.

all that really matters at the end of the day is that the team gets the best possible result in each game as they come along. once it's over it's on to the next one.

a tad obvious to say the least but valid nonetheless.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

So we are playing in two different leagues this season are we.

Gosh what twaddle.

I will pay most attention to the one we are currently lying third in and my free advice for the day we be for others to do the same.

So we are playing in two different leagues this season are we.

Gosh what twaddle.

I will pay most attention to the one we are currently lying third in and my free advice for the day we be for others to do the same.

of course we are auld boy, the real SPL and vlad's loony tunes notional league table.

Well Spotted

It must be said that our form in those five games hasn't been sparkling: Two Old Firm Defeats, A Creditable draw in Lochend, a defeat by Killie and a right gubbing at Tannadice.

Still that's only five games

There's also the question of whether the teams on 19 points (Hibs and Killie) are really a sufficiently different class from those on 17 & 18 (Motherwell, Inverness & Aberdeen ) to make the arbitrary distinction between them meaningfull.

If results elsewhere change the occupants of 5th and 6th we could lose to Rangers and still see our 'performance against the top 6' show as having improved.

After all; if the analysis is being used to suggest that Hearts' 3rd place is a false representation of their merit then presumably other teams are in false postions as well and the bottom six may not be the "real" bottom six.

It also exposes a circularity in the logic.

The assumption seems to be is that the causality is running one way only. Teams being in the bottom half means we do better than them.

Actually it works the other way round. Most of them are in whichever half they're in because of how we've done against them (or how they've done against us).

If Motherwell had won on Opening day they'd be 5th

If Kilmarnock hadn't won at Tynecastle They'd be 10th.

If Falkirk had they'd be 5th,

If Hibs had conceded a late winner in the derby they'd be 8th.

If Aberdeen had scored one at Tynecastle us they'd be 5th.

If Inverness had beatun us twice they'd be 4th, 3rd if they'd done it by heavy margins

That's not to say that the analysis is entirely meaningless merely that it exagerates what is going on

There are two valid points

Firstly our position is a bit flattering because we've had easier fixtures we've yet to play the Old Firm or Dundee United.

We're doing better against slightly poorer teams and not so well against slightly better ones (No really) and possibly a bit more than one would normally expect.

But it's easy to exagerate these points

What is more striking is the reasoning that draws the original poster to conclude that the Rangers game is one we particularly "must win"

Even if we accept the implication that we're currently good against the bottom teams and rotten against the middling and top teams surely the next objective would be efficiently taking out the middling teams.

If there's a "must win" game coming up I'd say it's the one on the 20th against Dundee United.

Would I be right in thinking that you don't have much in your life other than football?

Would I be right in thinking that you don't have much in your life other than football?

No need to be embarrassed just because you find it complex. If you ask him nicely, I'm sure he'd be happy to talk you through it at a slower pace....

:)

It`s all mumbo jumbo, no offence to OP though.

Hearts had a tremendous record against non OF teams in season 1997-98 but not that great against the OF.

I think we got a draw and a defeat off both at home and away but we sustained a good season.

I always believe the OF treat Hearts as a big game at Tynie therefore they actually raise their game that little bit more than normal.

The key is to try and take points at crucial times in the season. After 4 wins on the trot the rest of the SPL will be thinking Hearts are going to drop points this week and see it as a chance to close on us.

Getting a win this week would stick two fingers up at them.

Surely there must be only one pressing question on your mind - which end to sit in on Saturday!

Let's DO the Govan filth on Saturday and mess up those stats - and therapist - in the process. :biggrin:

Yep we were discussing this at the weekend. Despite the fact we are third we have not beaten a decent team this season yet - it is hard to include Motherwell as we beat them in the first game of the season and they defended abysmally.

Not only that we have only scored three goals against top six teams.

Yep we were discussing this at the weekend. Despite the fact we are third we have not beaten a decent team this season yet - it is hard to include Motherwell as we beat them in the first game of the season and they defended abysmally.

Not only that we have only scored three goals against top six teams.

Last season after 15 games we were 7th with 20 points but had scored 4 against the huns in one game and 25 in total.

We couldn't beat Gretna at home.

Which do you prefer?

The forces of darkness have mostly whipped everyone else in the top league from the beginning of last century. Then they slug it out between themselves. To make an impression a team has to show consistency in crushing all non OF teams and believe they can take points of the OF as well.

Today - at this moment in time - Hearts are poised with the chance to go on and do that. A win against the Huns, whether Celtic win or not, will simply change the dynamics of the SPL and the run into the New Year.

We have to go into this match, confident that we are going to turn the Huns over. Players and supporters alike should be thinking that.

This is a bit of a six pointer that could pull us into a cushion between fourth and second place. Its one of these "tests" to see if the Jambo revival is rea.

Charlie-Brown
The forces of darkness have mostly whipped everyone else in the top league from the beginning of last century. Then they slug it out between themselves. To make an impression a team has to show consistency in crushing all non OF teams and believe they can take points of the OF as well.

Today - at this moment in time - Hearts are poised with the chance to go on and do that. A win against the Huns, whether Celtic win or not, will simply change the dynamics of the SPL and the run into the New Year.

We have to go into this match, confident that we are going to turn the Huns over. Players and supporters alike should be thinking that.

This is a bit of a six pointer that could pull us into a cushion between fourth and second place. Its one of these "tests" to see if the Jambo revival is rea.

What you are saying is of course correct Vera although it would be more realistic to hope/expect a draw given the fragile nature of our form thus far this season - still we have to 'believe' in our own improvement and we certainly cannot let ourselves fear them or we're already losing.....c'mon Hearts!

Francis Albert

I'd guess he doesn't feel compelled to leave at half time when we have played some nice stuff and pulled back from going behind to 1-1 with a "world class goal". But I suppose we can't all be blessed with your over-full life. Congrats.

Poor response to a very good post by TC. Maybe his intelligence makes you feel jealous, Mr T?

Guest JamboRobbo

The assumption seems to be is that the causality is running one way only.

You appear to be talking gibberish. Your sentence makes no sense at all.

Did you mean "The assumption seems to be that the causality is running one way only"?

:P

You appear to be talking gibberish. Your sentence makes no sense at all.

Did you mean "The assumption seems to be that the causality is running one way only"?

:P

Now that's a put down!

Take note Therapist

Charlie-Brown

The 'easier games' like the arabs 1pt from 6 v hamilton, killies home defeat to inverness, hibs 1pt from 6 v st mirren & inverness recently

Guest JamboRobbo
The 'easier games' like the arabs 1pt from 6 v hamilton, killies home defeat to inverness, hibs 1pt from 6 v st mirren & inverness recently

Yep, easier because they have a better chance of points. Unlike when they play the OF or better sides..

Quite an amusing set of issues to fall out about.

First - We have put a run together which involves beating gash teams. This is good. This is something we havent done for 4 years. 1. put a run together, and 2. consistently beat gash teams.

Second - of course we need to raise our level to start beating the mid-tier teams - Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Hibs. But we havent yet had a run of games against them when we have been grinding out winning performances as we have in the last 4.

I'll pop my head back in here in 5 weeks or so to see if there remains anything to discuss...

Charlie-Brown

We have to bicker about something jammy or what's the point? :) anyway to kill the easier games myth the arabs have taken more points from the OF than Accies

We have to bicker about something jammy or what's the point? :) anyway to kill the easier games myth the arabs have taken more points from the OF than Accies

We dont have to bicker about EVERYTHING though, surely?

Charlie-Brown

No we don't have to bicker about everything but having dissected the minutae of spl pts won people can now rake over 2-3 year old events :)

By the way if you're using the league table to determine which teams present the stiffest opposition you should presumably rank them in order of how many points their opponents have earned rather than how many they have earned.

Kilmarnock(W8, D1, L6) sit 3 points clear of Falkirk(W7, D4, L4) but their opponents have dropped 20 points against each of them.

Table based on Points gained

Celtic       W13, D1, L1, Pts 40
Rangers      W11, D3, L1, Pts 36
Hearts       W8, D2, L5, Pts 26
Dundee Utd   W6, D5, L4, Pts 23
Hibernian    W5, D4, L6, Pts 19
Kilmarnock   W6, D1, L8, Pts 19
Aberdeen     W5, D3, L7, Pts 18
Inverness CT W5, D2, L8, Pts 17
Motherwell   W5, D2, L8, Pts 17
Falkirk      W4, D4, L7, Pts 16
St Mirren    W3, D3, L9, Pts 12
Hamilton     W3, D2, L10, Pts 11

Table based on Points gained by opponents

Celtic       W1, D1, L13, Pts 4
Rangers      W1, D3, L11, Pts 6
Hearts       W5, D2, L8, Pts 17
Dundee Utd   W4, D5, L6, Pts 17
Hibernian    W6, D4, L5, Pts 22
Aberdeen     W7, D3, L5, Pts 24
Kilmarnock   W8, D1, L6, Pts 25
Falkirk      W7, D4, L4, Pts 25
Motherwell   W8, D2, L5, Pts 26
Inverness CT W8, D2, L5, Pts 26
St Mirren    W9, D3, L3, Pts 30
Hamilton     W10, D2, L3, Pts 32

Guest JamboRobbo

AYe, your right.

Based on two matches between Dundee United and Hamilton, it is now a myth that matches against the OF are harder than matches against the other teams.

The hundred years of circumstancial evidence which shows the OF win significantly more matches than any other team is probably just a freak occurance, and because United failed to win twice against Hamilton, clearly playing Hamilton is no more difficult than playing the OF.

Your wild application of logic to try and justify your viewpoints staggers me at times.

Charlie-Brown

Utd also struggled against gretna last season as well, the other teams are carving each other up, there are no easy games for anyone from 3rd down.

Utd also struggled against gretna last season as well, the other teams are carving each other up, there are no easy games for anyone from 3rd down.

To be fair Dundee Utd nearly always find it easy against us....;)

Charlie-Brown

Utd & Killie have done well against us in recent games however dropped points in the 'easier' games is the reason they're below us.

Saying that there are "No easy games" is reasonable enough (if somewhat cliched)

Exagerating that to the point where you deny that there are 'easier games' is blatantly counterfactual.

Archived