Coincidence ?

Le Chat

Bear with me on this one folks, but I've been thinking :)

One of the more pleasing aspects of the last couple of months has been the re-emergence of form of a number of our younger players.

Wallace is playing really well again, Driver has been one of most important/effective players this season, Eggert has come on leaps and bounds (I like him at right back) and Berra is back showing the form that we all knew he was capable of (except Gambo ;)).

All of these players (IMO) came into the team, looked very promising and then suddenly they all seemed to stop developing/stood still/regressed slightly. This seemed to happen not long after Graham Rix got the tin-tack.

Now a lot has been said about the standard (or lack of) coaching at Riccarton basically since Valdas took over. Some of the comments from the likes of Michael Stewart at the start of the season made it sound like the coaching last season was an absolute joke.

Andy Driver's comments in the papers today about Csaba underline what Stewart and Berra have been saying recently that they are enjoying Csaba's coaching methods and everyone knows exactly what their roles are as soon as they go onto the pitch etc.

It seems to me that proper coaching has returned to Tynecastle and the players, particularly the younger ones, are benefitting from it immensely and are beginning to improve and develop their game again.

I also wonder if some of us have perhaps written Calum Elliott off a wee bit too early. Personally I'd like to see him come back in January and see if Csaba can make a player out of him as Frail, Angel & Toly sure as hell couldn't.

PS. This isn't intended to be a thread about Clum, he's merely a wee add on at the end. A dangleberry if you will.

PPS. FTH.

One of the more pleasing aspects of the last couple of months has been the re-emergence of form of a number of our younger players.

Wallace is playing really well again, Driver has been one of most important/effective players this season, Eggert has come on leaps and bounds (I like him at right back) and Berra is back showing the form that we all knew he was capable of (except Gambo ;)).

All of these players (IMO) came into the team, looked very promising and then suddenly they all seemed to stop developing/stood still/regressed slightly. This seemed to happen not long after Graham Rix got the tin-tack.

Now a lot has been said about the standard (or lack of) coaching at Riccarton basically since Valdas took over. Some of the comments from the likes of Michael Stewart at the start of the season made it sound like the coaching last season was an absolute joke.

Andy Driver's comments in the papers today about Csaba underline what Stewart and Berra have been saying recently that they are enjoying Csaba's coaching methods and everyone knows exactly what their roles are as soon as they go onto the pitch etc.

It seems to me that proper coaching has returned to Tynecastle and the players, particularly the younger ones, are benefitting from it immensely and are beginning to improve and develop their game again.

I also wonder if some of us have perhaps written Calum Elliott off a wee bit too early. Personally I'd like to see him come back in January and see if Csaba can make a player out of him as Frail, Angel & Toly sure as hell couldn't.

PS. This isn't intended to be a thread about Clum, he's merely a wee add on at the end. A dangleberry if you will.

PPS. FTH.

You could argue in most cases its just because their being played consistently in their correct positions

Wallace and Eggert were in and out of the team last season in various positions and never got a run

Elliot although played more often was often a late sub, played on the wing or played as a lone striker

Driver played most of the lot however he did have periods of injury or playing on the other wing

I think a lot of our problems in recent seasons have been brought on my both squad and positional rotation and we are now benefiting from the fact we have a smaller squad as this luxury is being withdrawn.

Its definitly one of the reasons Elliot is deserving of another chance as is Mole, if and only if, we are playing tactics that suit them.

Sounds like a perfectly plausible explanation to me. Makes you wonder what Csaba might have managed to get out of Pinilla too, doesn't it?

Regrets are a waste of energy though. No point dwelling on the past or the fact that we might have had one of the best strikers to hit the SPL in recent times....argh...

But yes, I liked Csaba when he first arrived and I like him even more now. I'm convinced that this man knows what he's doing and if the players are right behind him (as they all seem to be) then I think the fans should be doing the same.

I agree that Clum is a dangleberry.

I actually wondered who'd be the first to have a go at Clum despite the PS. and you were one of the first trumpet's I thought of :biggrin:

In regards to the dip in from post-Rix its fair to say that very few players proressed much between then and Csabas entry, regardless of age. But agree that the younger players mentioned are playing very well at the moment, long may it continue.

Good post LC.

Reading Andy Driver today about the wee differences Csaba has made was pleasing on the ear.

That's why when we read about Csaba merely being another 'puppet' it gets my goat. we've read on here a few times that it was all a smokescreen and how nothing had changed.

Garbage.

The difference is there for all to see.

Csaba is making the difference.

:)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
I actually wondered who'd be the first to have a go at Clum despite the PS. and you were one of the first trumpet's I thought of :biggrin:

I couldn't resist calling Clum a dangleberry.

You set them up and I'll knock them out the park!

Your post is correct though, we are moving in the right direction. :)

The Mighty Thor
Makes you wonder what Csaba might have managed to get out of Pinilla too, doesn't it?

Not wanting to drag this totally off topic but the Pinilla outcome was the one it was always going to be.

I was in Chile last week working with guys that are football fans of Colo Colo and Universidad and of course fanatical Chilean football fans. We talked at length about Pinilla and his 'recuperation' periods. The guy is a talented player with a wasted head. He has been all his career. He was living la vida loca in Santiago while we were filling his bank account with lots of pounds every week. The Chileans couldn't believe how much we were paying him and what he was getting up to when he was meant to be injured.

Thankfully he's mugging Vasco de Gama now.

I couldn't resist calling Clum a dangleberry.

You set them up and I'll knock them out the park!

TBF, it was always either going to be you or the Fingers laddie :cool:.

The form and progress of Berra and Driver is what shows the influence of Csaba for me.

Berra is looking more and more like a captain with every game. His defensive game is much more focused and he is acting more like a captain on the field by talking to players and making sure the ref knows he's there.

Driver's progress was so clear on Saturday. This is a guy who had potential but hasn't really done anything with it the past two seasons.

On saturday, you could see him focusing his pace and quickness on taking on players rather than just kicking and running- Csaba said as much after the game.

He's still got the final ball and his shooting to work on, but a much improved player already.

Even though Eggert looked fab last year, this season he has looked a much more mature player. Many others don't like Eggert at right back, but I think he's been much better there than he had been in centre mid.

Good post LC.

Reading Andy Driver today about the wee differences Csaba has made was pleasing on the ear.

That's why when we read about Csaba merely being another 'puppet' it gets my goat. we've read on here a few times that it was all a smokescreen and how nothing had changed.

Garbage.

The difference is there for all to see.

Csaba is making the difference.

:)

That's been really bugging me as well. IMO Csaba has been in complete control from the beginning and I've struggled to see where people get the idea that Vlad is still interfering from. At times it almost seems like some folk would rather that it was the case than admit they're wrong.

Not wanting to drag this totally off topic but the Pinilla outcome was the one it was always going to be.

I was in Chile last week working with guys that are football fans of Colo Colo and Universidad and of course fanatical Chilean football fans. We talked at length about Pinilla and his 'recuperation' periods. The guy is a talented player with a wasted head. He has been all his career. He was living la vida loca in Santiago while we were filling his bank account with lots of pounds every week. The Chileans couldn't believe how much we were paying him and what he was getting up to when he was meant to be injured.

Thankfully he's mugging Vasco de Gama now.

Urgh, not the best news but in a way, it's a relief to hear that the correct decision was probably made in the end. Sounds like he's just as much of a disappointment to the Chileans as he was to us.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe that even if he had started to pull his socks up...he would probably still have been a bit of a disruptive influence. Not something our young 'work in progress' squad really needs.

Ah well.

Charlie-Brown

This might be controversial to some however Csaba Laszlo, Angel Chervenkov and Darren Murray have all received criticism in greater or lesser degrees on this forum but this season - the first team, reserves and U19 are all showing improved results and in some cases greatly improved performances.....make of that what you will.

That's been really bugging me as well. IMO Csaba has been in complete control from the beginning and I've struggled to see where people get the idea that Vlad is still interfering from. At times it almost seems like some folk would rather that it was the case than admit they're wrong.

I'm actually doubtful that Csaba has complete control but I think he's probably got more control than anyone has had since Burley.

I do, however, firmly believe that we are now seeing the benefit of a proper football coach up at Riccarton and I look forward to our younger players perhaps now reaching their potential after a couple of years going nowhere as well as a football team out on the park who know what they should be doing.

I'm actually doubtful that Csaba has complete control but I think he's probably got more control than anyone has had since Burley.

I do, however, firmly believe that we are now seeing the benefit of a proper football coach up at Riccarton and I look forward to our younger players perhaps now reaching their potential after a couple of years going nowhere as well as a football team out on the park who know what they should be doing.

I should say that I mean complete control of team selection. I do believe Vlad will still have a fair say in who comes in and out.

Gillsland jack

So if everything goes in sequence Vlad will sack Csaba shortly, Aguiar and Driver or possibly Berra will get flogged soon, or has Vlad really learned to be more hands off?

Are we watching Csaba creating a Hearts team to truly be reckoned with? could we be developing young superstars at this time?.

So if everything goes in sequence Vlad will sack Csaba shortly, Aguiar and Driver or possibly Berra will get flogged soon, or has Vlad really learned to be more hands off?

Are we watching Csaba creating a Hearts team to truly be reckoned with? could we be developing young superstars at this time?.

Lets bloody hope so on both counts.

Elliot wasn't just perfroming badly on the pitch: he also came across as being thick, big-headed and stroppy.

But he has talent. And that's all I care about.

It would take a special sort to want to stick it out at Hearts in the last few years. Eggart had it, Driver had it, Clum didn't.

But on his game, Elliot is a player, as is Eggart and Driver.

I don't think it will happen. Either he'll stay at Livingston or bugger off elsewhere.

But if Callum came back to Hearts, knuckled down and started to perform like he did in 05/06: then I for one would welcome his return; but in a purely functional sense.

Nice post, Le Chat.

Buffalo Bill

jamboinglasgow
This might be controversial to some however Csaba Laszlo, Angel Chervenkov and Darren Murray have all received criticism in greater or lesser degrees on this forum but this season - the first team, reserves and U19 are all showing improved results and in some cases greatly improved performances.....make of that what you will.

I agree, I think CL, WB, AC, TR and DM are all working well in a system that is building things up. I think we are going to see things continually improve over the season and yes there may be blips but we are going the right way.

I have thought this before, it may take more than one season (I would guess two seasons.) I think we have the players in the system that could be great stars for hearts and even Scotland (or their respective countries.)

To me I still think that Csaba could be our Arsene Wenger. I know he will never be as great as the Frenchman but both have a similar ethic in terms of youth development, maticulous prepartation, involment over every part of the football set up. In wengers first season he finished third, narrowly missing out on second. The previous two seasons arsenal had finished 12th and 5th.) After Wengers first season Arsenal never finished below 2nd until 2005-06. So it is possible for Csaba to do something similar.

Elliot wasn't just perfroming badly on the pitch: he also came across as being thick, big-headed and stroppy.

But he has talent. And that's all I care about.

It would take a special sort to want to stick it out at Hearts in the last few years. Eggart had it, Driver had it, Clum didn't.

But on his game, Elliot is a player, as is Eggart and Driver.

I don't think it will happen. Either he'll stay at Livingston or bugger off elsewhere.

But if Callum came back to Hearts, knuckled down and started to perform like he did in 05/06: then I for one would welcome his return; but in a purely functional sense.

Nice post, Le Chat.

Buffalo Bill

I have to agree with that. He was brought into a first team squad which was bordering on great success, mixed with chaos, bad management and the meddling Vlad. Jeeze, he was about 16, just a kid and could not have had a worse intro to his first job out of school.

Le Chat may have a very good point here.

Goncalves is another one that springs to mind as one who looked good to start with, but by the time he left appeared to be hopeless.

PPS. FTH.

Although I was pretty sceptical I pretty much agree with most of that.

One thing that does bother me though is I think we are making Eggert a worse player. The lad needs to played in midfield where he can continue to learn. I don't think it has done him any favours to get shunted about the team.

I think attitude and personality come in to it too.

Hearts fans like their players to give their all. That's why the fans are now generally more behind Nade at games now (or at least, that's my impression).

What's the diffeence between Nade - someone who was nothing but a figure of fun, and Elliot?

It's that we now see Nade bursting what was a very big gut. He's a tryer now; and the fans are warming to that.

An even better example was Colin Cameron, my personal all time favourite. Is there a Hearts fan out there that didn't rate Cameron? If so, I've never met him. Why was Mikey the darling of the fans? Not only was a wonderful player, but he he also gave it everything, and he really showed that through his personality on the pitch: and we loved him for it.

Elliot, in training probably, showed all the skills you need to be a good footballer. But on a Saturday, what was there to like?

Buffalo Bill

Guest JamboRobbo

Hearts fans like their players to give their all. That's why the fans are now generally more behind Nade at games now (or at least, that's my impression).

What's the diffeence between Nade - someone who was nothing but a figure of fun, and Elliot?

It's that we now see Nade bursting what was a very big gut. He's a tryer now; and the fans are warming to that.

It's only cause Nade has changed nationality to get all the racists off his back. :P

Depends what you mean by "complete control"?

I am assured that the team and the subs that run on to the park matchday is exclusively "his pick". I'm told the final squad selection is the result of an in depth meeting between the coaches. Csaba is not a man for snap decisions.

Le Chat loves Elliot, naaaaa na na na naaaaaaaa! :)

I do see what you are saying and agree (all bar Elliot though) there are shoots of recovery.

Depends what you mean by "complete control"?

I've nothing to go on other than my gut-feeling and some of the things I've read on here (although its 90% pish) such as the Gary Glen story.

I can't help but feel that he's played certain players (mainly Zaluikas permanently and Karapidis in midfield) to appease VR.

Le Chat loves Elliot, naaaaa na na na naaaaaaaa! :)

:movethatass:

I actually get annoyed at Elliott's attitude but given what he's probably had to put up with over the last 18 months I think he deserves another chance to see if he can do the bizz with the guidance of a proper coach.

Archived