Hibs - Is it the most plain, uninspiring, dull name for a football club?

Craigieboy

You may have a point dude, but not for me really. I've kinda always felt this way about the hibs. Duno, im from Musselburgh where its kinda split so i know as many hobos as i do jambos. It's always been banter rather than hatred. And i like that my grandad and uncles used to go to Tynie one week, Fester the next. They supported one team, but gave the other support. It's no for me, but i kinda get it!

Funny though, i have to say if i see a hibby i dont know, then i do have a pang of loathing!!!

I also have alot of mates who support Celtic and away from football they are great guys but i find it very hard to talk to them about football cos they are so closed minded. Definitely HATE the OF with a passion

Years back it wasn't really that bad but the bitterness and hatred of all things maroon in a lot of them has been getting worse and worse for years now.

When Vlad arrived it increased ten-fold as they all absolutely sh@t themselves and they've been fantasising about our demise ever since.

It's a great name followed by the word nil or relegated :)

if it's followed by anything else it's rubbish!!!!

Romanov Stole My Pension
i know you're at it but if you weren't, it would be unfair TBH. they have quite a good name (full name) in the grand scheme of things.... obviously denoting their heritage. that's the thing though.... they are the club in scotland with the true irish heritage, and all banter aside for a moment... i think they are due respect as a football club for understating their roots and tradition.

UNLIKE SOME.

Were Celtic not formed by an irish priest or something? I really don't know, anyone want to let me know?

I mean, honestly. Is there a sh yter name for a football club?

Hibs.

Plain & utterly boring - hibs.

Are there any other clubs up there with hibs boringness?

TBH Hull does sound fecking terrible.

You're having a ****ing laugh, surely?

no i'm not joking. even though i don't like them, especially their fans, it's still entirely possible to have some respect for them as a football club. hibs don't have the same scottish cup winning tradition as hearts but they have won just as many league titles and more or less the same number of league cups, all of which have been won in more recent years than ours. even to this day hibs have a better euopean record than hearts.

they are also due respect for their roots and heritage. they haven't been instrumental in tapping into some pseudo romantic notion that has been created about their club, unlike the other lot, as well as all the other insidious stuff irish nationalism that surrounds the other lot.

when compared to smeltic, believe you me..... hibs can be respected as well as laughed at and taken the pish out of.

Gav Aitchison
It appears that tolerance grows the greater the distance from the trenches.

Probably not surprising.

Not that I agree with the OP personally.

:sad: Hope you're not right. Better start reading KB more I guess! In my defence though, I can't even mention them by name down here without getting fined! York Hearts demand 50p towards club funds everytime the wee team's real name is used - a cracking way of boosting supporters club funds if anyone else is a bit cash-strapped.

...as was demonstrated when Wallace wanted to close them down, WE Hearts fans stood shoulder to shoulder with our brothers, sisters, cousins, aunties, uncles, mother-in-laws, father in laws, mums, dads, etc etc to ensure they continued...

I never stood shoulder to shoulder with any of them. I make no apologies for wanting Mr Mercer to shut them down and for us to win the ultimate victory over them.

It saddens me that this never happened.

...Just imagine for a moment..................................what would life be like without Hibernian Football Club...

Heaven.

Gav Aitchison

Like you Legend, I wished we'd killed them off when we had the chance. Although days like 11/08/02 and 02/04/06 do make their survival enjoyable at times.

It's quite a good name for a football team, to be fair. It's nowhere near as good as Heart of Midlothian.

Grimbsy Town is the most apt name for a football team and a place ever.

From the Oxford English dictionary:

Hibernian, Hibs(slang): small; desperate; envious; pish

Thats strange , my dictionary says: sexy , flair , brazilian .

Hibs - Is it the most plain, uninspiring, dull name for a football club?

Yes................FACT

Good shout Craigieboy

I think this thread is the most plain, uninspiring, dull thread for a football forum.

Very apt that you've posted on it then ;)

And your point caller?

You really don't have to be Einstein to work it out.

Shouldn't you be raking through some random Hearts player's rubbish or something anyway ?

MackaysCentreSpot
You really don't have to be Einstein to work it out.

Shouldn't you be raking through some random Hearts player's rubbish or something anyway ?

Grow up for goodness sake.

You must have used up your one remaining brain cell to think up that retort.

Grow up for goodness sake.

You must have used up your one remaining brain cell to think up that retort.

Don't forget the binoculars ;)

I think this thread is the most plain, uninspiring, dull thread for a football forum.

And by the way, this ^ was an incredibly mature post :rolleyes:

MackaysCentreSpot
Don't forget the binoculars ;)

You have not gave me them back yet from the last time you borrowed them.

Ok you did not agree with my post but was there any need for the personal attack?

No.

Why, want to join the party ?

:)

No, I'd feel left out, you two are so focused on each other. Maybe some other time. Unless there are some snacks. What sort of beer do you have?

MackaysCentreSpot
No, I'd feel left out, you two are so focused on each other. Maybe some other time. Unless there are some snacks. What sort of beer do you have?

What beer do you drink Red. I will get some in.

In all seriousness though why do people think they have a right to personally attack someone because they do not agree with something you say.

By all means disagree but in a mature and sensible manner.

Seems an all too common occurance on here that if you can not reply in a mature manner you feel it is ok to resort to insulting people.

What beer do you drink Red. I will get some in.

In all seriousness though why do people think they have a right to personally attack someone because they do not agree with something you say.

By all means disagree but in a mature and sensible manner.

Seems an all too common occurance on here that if you can not reply in a mature manner you feel it is ok to resort to insulting people.

Anyone reading just this post will get the wrong end of the stick about me. :) Anyway, Steam bitter, or failing that, a nice pint or two of 80/-. The problem is that it is fairly easy to attack someone on a message board as you're hidden away behind a computer. Also, there's always previous between people. The best bet is just to ignore it when someone has a pop at you, or shake it off with a witty reply. The problem is where someone has a pop, the other person has a pop back, and then the whole thing rapidly descends into trench warfare. If it's of any consolation, it's completely natural human behaviour (as everyone will know from spats they've had with their partners in particular). :) In the end if someone has a pop at you on a message board, it is nothing in the great scheme of things. Do you have any peanuts?

Archived