Hibs - Is it the most plain, uninspiring, dull name for a football club?

Craigieboy

I mean, honestly. Is there a sh yter name for a football club?

Hibs.

Plain & utterly boring - hibs.

Are there any other clubs up there with hibs boringness?

They were certainly unlucky their local rivals have the most wonderful name ever. One of many reasons we put them in the shade.

Hearts Heritage

Hibs.

Can't agree with that at all how resonant is this?

1913051001.jpg

Hibs.

i know you're at it but if you weren't, it would be unfair TBH. they have quite a good name (full name) in the grand scheme of things.... obviously denoting their heritage. that's the thing though.... they are the club in scotland with the true irish heritage, and all banter aside for a moment... i think they are due respect as a football club for understating their roots and tradition.

UNLIKE SOME.

i know you're at it but if you weren't, it would be unfair TBH. they have quite a good name (full name) in the grand scheme of things.... obviously denoting their heritage. that's the thing though.... they are the club in scotland with the true irish heritage, and all banter aside for a moment... i think they are due respect as a football club for understating their roots and tradition.

UNLIKE SOME.

Nope. I'm not 'at it'.

And I can't disagree with you more.

'Quite a good name'?

:rolleyes:

Hearts Heritage
Nope. I'm not 'at it'.

'Quite a good name'?

Well you are somebody who has no idea of the history of our club and Edinburgh football then.

Hans von Luck
Can't agree with that at all how resonant is this?

1913051001.jpg

Anyone know what the bit below Hibs "cup holders" means ? :shocked666:

If I recall that lot have not won "The Cup" since 1902 :107years:

Don't agree, think Edinburgh is lucky to have two of the more interesting names in football. The dullest names are the ones names after towns - Aberdeen, Motherwell, Manchester (Utd & City), Liverpool etc.

At least in Edinburgh and to a certain extent glasgow, they are a bit different!

Nope. I'm not 'at it'.

'Quite a good name'?

not having a go at you.

all joking and banter aside..... hells teeth i indulge in a fair bit.... i have respect for them as a football club, although some of their mallet-heided fans are despicable.

they take pride in their heritage in an understated way, they haven't created a stomach churning myth of themselves.....

UNLIKE SOME

Nucky Thompson
i think they are due respect as a football club for understating their roots and tradition.

Nah mate, they don't even have a traditional club badge:rolleyes: They have changed it 3 times in the last 20 years:107years: The only traditions they have got is that they are all sewer rats and are Edinburghs wee team. They also have the tradition of getting pumped out the Scottish Cup every season:107years:

Nah mate, they don't even have a traditional club badge:rolleyes: They have changed it 3 times in the last 20 years:107years: The only traditions they have got is that they are all sewer rats and are Edinburghs wee team. They also have the tradition of getting pumped out the Scottish Cup every season:107years:

that is fair enough, i will not attempt to take the moral high ground with anyone over this or most other things, there are enough characters on here that do that too much already.

i respect yours and the other dude's right to take the pish out of them over their name. i have my stance on it and will stick to it.

i do have complete contempt for a high percentage of the followers.

Miller Jambo 60
I think they should change their name to "The Pish".

Its only fair and reasonable.

Pish has a purpose that lot aint maybe a no 2 for them.

****E

WorldChampions1902
Nope. I'm not 'at it'.

'Quite a good name'?

Yes we 'hate' them but as was demonstrated when Wallace wanted to close them down, WE Hearts fans stood shoulder to shoulder with our brothers, sisters, cousins, aunties, uncles, mother-in-laws, father in laws, mums, dads, etc etc to ensure they continued.

Just imagine for a moment..................................what would life be like without Hibernian Football Club...........without their fans that are also members of every JKB members family?

That's what makes us different from another corner of Scotland.

FTH ;) :107years:

Yes we 'hate' them but as was demonstrated when Wallace wanted to close them down, WE Hearts fans stood shoulder to shoulder with our brothers, sisters, cousins, aunties, uncles, mother-in-laws, father in laws, mums, dads, etc etc to ensure they continued.

Just imagine for a moment..................................what would life be like without Hibernian Football Club...........without their fans that are also members of every JKB members family?

That's what makes us different from another corner of Scotland.

FTH ;) :107years:

Never mentioned wanting them out of busness.

Hibs.

You're trying way, way, way too hard.

Hibs.

But their team name is Hibernian, which is quite a unique name and has meaning.

Heart of Midlothian is the best football team name there is of course!

I certainly didn't.

I absolutely pished myself laughing for about a month.

And btw, there's no Hobo's in my family thankfully.

WorldChampions1902
Never mentioned wanting them out of busness.

Craigieboy, no offence was intended my friend. Heart of Midlothian IS The most romantic name in world football.

I come from an upbringing at the tail-end of a belief that you took family members to their opposing teams home games when they played at home. In other words, when Hibs were away, members of my family came to Tynecastle and vice-versa. Changed days indeed.........................!

As for Hibernian having a boring name, I beg to differ. And neither do they have a boring history - on the contrary. Read up on it M8!!

Personally (banter aside), I don't rate their history as anything significant. That's not through ignorance. It's just my informed opinion.

My OP was not in relation to any of the hibby defending rants that seem to have sprung up here.

The name is just sh yte. Pure & simple.

WorldChampions1902
Personally (banter aside), I don't rate their history as anything significant. That's not through ignorance. It's just my informed opinion.

My OP was not in relation to any of the hibby defending rants that seem to have sprung up here.

The name is just sh yte. Pure & simple.

'Hibernians' which subsequently became 'Hibernian' is a wonderfully Celtic name to which I'm sure many of us can identify because ultimately we are all Celts. :eek:

Hibernian Football Club have a wonderful history, a fantastic tradition and a fan-base that tries very hard to match that of Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

Edinburgh is lucky to have two such wonderful football clubs and long may they prosper !! It could have been three - whatever happened to St. Bernards ?? ;)

I would personally give my right arm for Edinburgh to only have 1 team The only team who's name represents the history of out great city.

Personally, I've always appreciated that both Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian have unusual names: I think it adds a certain magic to the rivalry. Even if there are apocryphal stories of players we were interested in asking "where's Hearts?" :)

There are many good reasons for taking the pish out of the Hibs but their name ain't one of them in my opinion.

Hearts Heritage

(UN)informed more like. They were the first non West Coast team to win the Scottish Cup. They 'dominated' the early years of the Derby. James McGhee was the first goal scoring 'superstar' of Edinburgh including 5 goals in the first 20 minutes of the 1887 Rosebery Cup Final.

WorldChampions1902
I would personally give my right arm for Edinburgh to only have 1 team The only team who's name represents the history of out great city.

Vewy sad. (Sir Alex Ferguson).

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Hmmm, no sure.

It's better than Hamilton Accies.

What is absolute PISH though is 'cabbage and ribs'

C'mon FFS, that is just minging.

cabbage5.jpg

I think they should change their name to "The Pish".

Its only fair and reasonable.

If you were running for parliament, I'd not only vote for you, but quite probably stick leaflets through doors.

In Lochend.

;)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
If you were running for parliament, I'd not only vote for you, but quite probably stick leaflets through doors.

In Lochend.

;)

I'd stick Le Chat badges with wee sharp pins right into their faces. :)

(UN)informed more like. They were the first non West Coast team to win the Scottish Cup. They 'dominated' the early years of the Derby. James McGhee was the first goal scoring 'superstar' of Edinburgh including 5 goals in the first 20 minutes of the 1887 Rosebery Cup Final.

James McGhee was a fat poof nonce.

FACT.

I love being a Jambo for many reasons. One of those reasons is Hibs and, I guess, Edinburgh's football community. As a few guys on here have stated, we stand shoulder to shoulder at times, we both support Scotland (on the whole).

We both have unique and important heritage and neither of us overstate it.

We both let ourselves down off and on the park sometimes.

I'm proud to be a Jambo and glad those rats (some family and friends included!) are our rivals

Ps, I thought the OP's post was really funny until i realised he was serious!!

we stand shoulder to shoulder at times

blair_bush.png

Just kidding Ian! I agree with everything you've said.

blair_bush.png

Just kidding Ian! I agree with everything you've said.

Haha! Erm, i guess that makes us George Dubya seeing as we're the big team!!!

Gav Aitchison

It's almost onomatopoeia - hoof, hump, hibs. Quite apt really.

I see what some above have said though. It's probably quite endearing to outside neutrals that Edinburgh has two clubs with unusual names, badges and colours - even if one set of them is guff.

As for lousy names, you have to go some way to match the bleak towns of South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Grimsby? Rotherham? Scu^thorpe etc etc.

It appears that tolerance grows the greater the distance from the trenches.

Probably not surprising.

Not that I agree with the OP personally.

It appears that tolerance grows the greater the distance from the trenches.

Probably not surprising.

Not that I agree with the OP personally.

I imagine that the Hibs and Hearts players and fans who fought together in the trenches showed a far greater tolerance for each other, and solidarity, than they did back in Edinburgh. So, I disagree. :)

I imagine that the Hibs and Hearts players and fans who fought together in the trenches showed a far greater tolerance for each other, and solidarity, than they did back in Edinburgh. So, I disagree. :)

I'm sure they did. But I was talking about the location of posters in this thread not having Hibs fans venom, Hibs friendly media etc in their faces on a daily basis contributing to a less hard line view.

Not what happened 90 odd years ago, as I'm sure you were aware:)

I'm sure they did. But I was talking about the location of posters in this thread not having Hibs fans venom, Hibs friendly media etc in their faces on a daily basis contributing to a less hard line view.

;)

Charlie-Brown

Heart of Midlothian, Queen of the South, Saint Mirren, Saint Johnstone, Hibernian, Celtic are all great names, unusual and have some meaning behind them (even if we don't like some of those teams & their fans).

Most teams are named after their location and/or place-of-work as well as adding fanciful united / city / town / wanderers / rangers / athletic etc to their name - there are hundreds of examples of these.

I'd say you're probably spot-on.

Luckily for punters living hundreds of miles away they don't have a never-ending procession of absolute fecking nimrods incessantly rambling away about pish like administration and Murrayfield until they're told to shut it.

I'd say that would account for the very different attitudes on display.

In Lochend.

;)

:biggrin:

It's almost onomatopoeia - hoof, hump, hibs. Quite apt really.

I see what some above have said though. It's probably quite endearing to outside neutrals that Edinburgh has two clubs with unusual names, badges and colours - even if one set of them is guff.

As for lousy names, you have to go some way to match the bleak towns of South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Grimsby? Rotherham? Scu^thorpe etc etc.

Scunthorpe United is the greatest name in football bar Hearts of course :o!!! CHEEK

You may have a point dude, but not for me really. I've kinda always felt this way about the hibs. Duno, im from Musselburgh where its kinda split so i know as many hobos as i do jambos. It's always been banter rather than hatred. And i like that my grandad and uncles used to go to Tynie one week, Fester the next. They supported one team, but gave the other support. It's no for me, but i kinda get it!

Funny though, i have to say if i see a hibby i dont know, then i do have a pang of loathing!!!

I also have alot of mates who support Celtic and away from football they are great guys but i find it very hard to talk to them about football cos they are so closed minded. Definitely HATE the OF with a passion

Archived