Kickback in the olden days!

shaun.lawson

I always liked David Gillespie's responses. Puns, metaphors, anything. And excessive use of random smilies

:joker::cat::dog:

Whatever happened to him ?

:mw_confused:

Charlie-Brown

Seems just like any normal week on JKB even includes a Robbie Neilson thread. The more things change the more things stay the same. :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20000816152539/www.heartsfc.co.uk/fans/kickback/

Ain't the Internet Archive great? You can't read the detail of the posts, unfortunately - but you can still get a flavour of what life as a Jambo was like back then. Many familiar names on there too...

Loved that format when you could see all the responses. It wouldn't work with the volumes now. :eek:

heartgarfunkel

Remember it well! I was 'Barney Battles' back in the day - then 'The Real BB'.

Memories!:)

It was only 98 years since the smallsters had last won the Big Cup back then!

Ain't the Internet Archive great? You can't read the detail of the posts, unfortunately - but you can still get a flavour of what life as a Jambo was like back then. Many familiar names on there too...

Was half expecting to see a few posts from Martin.Taylor! I think during the period covered in the link however, I was busy working in my summer job prior to going to university for the first time in September 2000.

I remember those days on Kickback quite fondly though, interesting to note that the majority of people used their real name, I've always thought that it served to cut down the petty sniping that many indulge in when they can hide behind a pseudonym.

We'd just lost 4-2 to Celtic.

Yup - a weird game in which JJ had a huge barney with Jacko in the dressing room at half time; had they not missed a pen early in the second half, 7-0 could've been on the cards; yet we fought back and seriously worried them at times too. The one post of mine on there was me trying to calm people down, and suggest Celtic were a lot better than most appreciated (as they confirmed the following week against Rangers); but the only guy who replied gave me short shrift, as he appears to have done with others too... :)

I love it though: melodrama about the club dying, Kickbackers turning on one another, complaints about the forum going downhill, fury at the owner, others blaming the manager... what's changed? I agree with Martin about it being better when people posted with their real names, though: the only reason my username has a dot in the middle is because it originates from that version.

For some reason seasons 1999/2000 and 2000/01 are the seasons I have least memories of. I'd completely forgotten that we'd started with 3 draws and a defeat in 2000/01.

Whereas they, and the ghastly 1998/9, are probably the seasons I have most memory of. JJ's time in charge was simply my favourite period following Hearts.

Thanks, Shaun, for making me feel so very OLD. :eek:

At least I'm consistent; I was a lurker then, I'm a lurker now. Despite all of the changes, upheavals, fax machines, golden rods, etc, NYC-Hearts f/k/a NY-Hearts has been consistent :)

Whereas they, and the ghastly 1998/9, are probably the seasons I have most memory of. JJ's time in charge was simply my favourite period following Hearts.

The weird thing about my dodgy memory of these seasons Shaun, is that I never missed a home game in either!

Looking at the stats, 99/2000 was a bit of a weird season! 7 home wins from 18 game played, compared to 8 wins away from home. We only actually achieved 3 less points than Celtic on the road. With a bit more consistency at home, we could possibly have pushed for 2nd place, which would have been a phenomenal achievment given that it was during this period that the Old Firm were at the peak of their spending power.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/sea/1999-00.html

The weird thing about my dodgy memory of these seasons Shaun, is that I never missed a home game in either!

Looking at the stats, 99/2000 was a bit of a weird season! 7 home wins from 18 game played, compared to 8 wins away from home. We only actually achieved 3 less points than Celtic on the road. With a bit more consistency at home, we could possibly have pushed for 2nd place, which would have been a phenomenal achievment given that it was during this period that the Old Firm were at the peak of their spending power.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/sea/1999-00.html

It was very weird. We started out playing really fluently, humping non-OF opponents but getting torn to shreds by the uglies, both of whom had very expensive sides. Then the SMG investment should've enabled us to push on; but Hearts being Hearts, we promptly embarked on a ridiculous period of sendings off, leads being thrown away, freakish last minute equalisers, 'confidence' players like Jackson or Adam losing all form, and continued confusion about who, if anyone, would be signed. Meaning any designs on the top 2 quickly vanished, and we even looked as though we could emulate the previous nightmare campaign.

The SMG signings made the difference, though. We were a side that played some great stuff on our day, and cruised past opponents at our best - but had no 'B' game, no battling qualities. So JJ looked to remedy this - all his acquisitions were defensive - and it worked, especially on our travels: trouble was, it made us a much stuffier, duller, almost Jordanesque team at Tynie. It's the only season I can recall in which 3rd place was viewed by many as disappointing, which was bonkers given the respective wage bills; but if we'd blown it, I think JJ would've been sacked there and then. Indeed, 2-0 down at Parkhead with four or five looking likely, I think he was all set for the bullet that night; an hour or so and an amazing 3-2 win later (Celtic have never lost from 2-0 up at home since), the entire season had turned around.

It was a rollercoaster season; and off the park, we went from huge ambition and thinking very big in the autumn, to Pieman announcing the wage bill needed to be cut as soon as we'd clinched 3rd spot! And in many ways, the campaign summed up the enjoyment and futility of finishing 3rd: we couldn't realistically do any better, but lost so much money in the process that clearly, a much more modest strategy would be necessary. And incidentally, up and down as the season was, if you total up the wins, draws and losses of JJ's five full campaigns at the helm, 15-9-12 is the average - which was exactly what we ended up with in 99/0, with precisely half the points available taken. Statisticians would treat 97/8 as freakishly good, 98/9 as freakishly bad... and argue that 99/0 told the truth about where we really had been as a club all along.

scott herbertson

fascinating stuff. Be interested to know some of the names some of these Wether's Old Originals are now posting under.

Whatever happened to Marian - if I remember right she came on the forum with very scant knowledge or interest in Hearts but just to have a chat! and was from scandinavia somewhere - Denmark maybe?

Nelly Terraces
fascinating stuff. Be interested to know some of the names some of these Wether's Old Originals are now posting under.

Whatever happened to Marian - if I remember right she came on the forum with very scant knowledge or interest in Hearts but just to have a chat! and was from scandinavia somewhere - Denmark maybe?

It's our tenth anniversary this year SH. Oh, and the kiddies, Agnetha and Bjorn, are getting on great at School.:P

Holland, I think it was Scott. Didnt she have a huge crush on Darren Jackson for some inexplicable reason ?

Good to see some names from the past on there. David Besonan was an American radio DJ who "adopted" us as his team - whatever happened to him? Others like Tim Pitt and David Gillespie were avid posters on the old Kickback. And some familiar names - yourself, Scott, as well as Davy Allan and Tom Heaney in there. I'm sure there are many more.

GC

Similarly, what happened to Kelly Easton?

scott herbertson
It's our tenth anniversary this year SH. Oh, and the kiddies, Agnetha and Bjorn, are getting on great at School.:P

Jeez, and to think I used to fantasise about you

Yech....

Bomber Harris

Aye the good old days, enjoyed many a spat with Daibda (Davidson/Stevenson?) the maniac who done albanac books or whatever, used to wind him up to the brink of a "cardiac arrest":hobofish:, always invited you up to his flat so he could either debate Scotland or challange to a duel/fight, i did invite him up to my seat in the wheatfield but he didn't show and we never heard of him again... shame

Bomber Harris
Old school KB was the dog's fellies! Bring it back!! :)

Think of the debates we (not me and you but as a whole) had back then and try and debate them now :eek: BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN OH how the admin can be so fickle these days.

Commander Harris

interesting stuff.

don't suppose you can remember what your "Don't panic Captain Mainwaring!" post was about?

marshallschunkychicken

Whatever did happen to David.Gillespie?

I remember his postings became less and less frequent after the death of the real life mystic mog.

Always good for a laugh.

I only managed one post on that archive under my old user name of Drew Busby. Not sure to be proud or depressed that I have been posting for so long.

I used to post on that, I remember it was Scott Wilson's fault I got the internet back in about 1996 or something, Hearts had an open day at Tynecastle and Scott Wilson had Kickback setup in a Tent on the pitch, he gave a disk with netscape on it. I went along to Web 13 Cafe in Bread Street to Sign up to Kickback and try it out and I think I ordered the internet from Ednet down Leith the next day. I think my old user name was ricw.

thanks Scott for loads of wasted hours :-)

ROTTEN TO THE CORE - brian.morris 20/8/2000 8:44 GMT

ROTTEN TO THE CORE - Robert.D.Lang 22/8/2000 9:19 GMT

I've stopped backing CR - Ford.Prentice 20/8/2000 7:58 GMT

Root it oot! - wayne.foster 20/8/2000 3:50 GMT

The cancer is spreading............ - bill.duff 20/8/2000 1:53 GMT

TOO TRUE - George.Purvis 20/8/2000 9:42 GMT

no reason to say sorry, Bill - Marian 20/8/2000 9:35 GMT

A Break.........a BREAK? - John.Gentleman 20/8/2000 13:12 GMT

Some obvious things - eric.burns 20/8/2000 0:13 GMT

Some obvious things - John.McKenna 20/8/2000 15:14 GMT

Some obvious things - Marian 20/8/2000 9:38 GMT

Some obvious things - FOLLOW YOUR HEARTS 20/8/2000 9:46 GMT

How many people want CR out?(n/t) - kelly.Easton 20/8/2000 0:00 GMT

I think the question should be.... - Grainger 20/8/2000 9:08 GMT

NOT JEFFERIES - CPR - MUST GO. - George.Purvis 20/8/2000 12:28 GMT

Sound familiar!?

Gav Aitchison

Can only assume I'd been getting some pre-uni drinking in on 19 Aug 2000, when I claimed that "we missed Petric".

KB used to crash every Thursday if I recall, and everyone thought it was censorship by CR.

Can only assume I'd been getting some pre-uni drinking in on 19 Aug 2000, when I claimed that "we missed Petric".

KB used to crash every Thursday if I recall, and everyone thought it was censorship by CR.

Well - we might've done to a degree. The biggest problem with Petric was the ridiculous wages we were paying him; but our defensive record improved hugely after he signed, and he was able to do a job against all opponents outwith the OF and Hibs. When it came to that trio though, he was utterly exposed; and he also led to our playing style becoming more predictable and direct in order to accommodate him further forward.

I remember it crashing on Thursdays too! God, that was annoying. Thinking about it though, if you look at the tone of posts on the link, and especially the vitriol regularly aimed at CPR, what's remarkable is the forum stayed in tandem with the official website as long as it did. Such dissension would never be allowed now, here or at any other club. I really liked the website back then: it was very impressive for its time, and Kenny Sargeant's searingly honest match reports are greatly missed. :sad:

interesting stuff.

don't suppose you can remember what your "Don't panic Captain Mainwaring!" post was about?

I do: see post 9 on this thread! Not what you were hoping for though, I imagine... ;)

Utterly alarmingly, I can also recall the gist of what Paul Valente and particularly Geoff Kilpatrick were arguing. Taking up from Geoff, who'd been a bit of a JJ-sceptic for quite a while IIRC, I asserted we'd be in the top 4 by the end of September, and well, it almost happened: an absolutely horrific 0-2 defeat to Killie in front of SKY's cameras proving the difference between 4th and, er, 7th... :) I remember really liking David Besonen's posts too.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I do: see post 9 on this thread! Not what you were hoping for though, I imagine... ;)

Utterly alarmingly, I can also recall the gist of what Paul Valente and particularly Geoff Kilpatrick were arguing. Taking up from Geoff, who'd been a bit of a JJ-sceptic for quite a while IIRC, I asserted we'd be in the top 4 by the end of September, and well, it almost happened: an absolutely horrific 0-2 defeat to Killie in front of SKY's cameras proving the difference between 4th and, er, 7th... :) I remember really liking David Besonen's posts too.

That was a horrible Sunday night game. I walked out 5 minutes into the second half to ensure I caught the earlier train back to Dunfermline that night because I was so p***ed off at the performance. It was probably the worst JJ performance since going bottom at Dundee (another horrendous day).

Geoff Kilpatrick
Well - we might've done to a degree. The biggest problem with Petric was the ridiculous wages we were paying him; but our defensive record improved hugely after he signed, and he was able to do a job against all opponents outwith the OF and Hibs. When it came to that trio though, he was utterly exposed; and he also led to our playing style becoming more predictable and direct in order to accommodate him further forward.

I remember it crashing on Thursdays too! God, that was annoying. Thinking about it though, if you look at the tone of posts on the link, and especially the vitriol regularly aimed at CPR, what's remarkable is the forum stayed in tandem with the official website as long as it did. Such dissension would never be allowed now, here or at any other club. I really liked the website back then: it was very impressive for its time, and Kenny Sargeant's searingly honest match reports are greatly missed. :sad:

When Mark Yardley gets the better of someone, it's time to give up. Yardley did so the night of the right tit display!

That was a horrible Sunday night game. I walked out 5 minutes into the second half to ensure I caught the earlier train back to Dunfermline that night because I was so p***ed off at the performance. It was probably the worst JJ performance since going bottom at Dundee (another horrendous day).

There were a lot of 'em, weren't there?

Falkirk 2-0 Hearts '95

Hearts 2-5 Partick '96 :eek:

Aberdeen 4-0 Hearts '96

Hearts 0-3 St Johnstone '98

Dundee 2-0 Hearts '99

Hearts 0-3 Hibs '99

Kilmarnock 1-0 Hearts '00

Hearts 0-2 Kilmarnock '00

Hearts 0-3 St Johnstone '00

On the plus side though, there was:

Rangers 0-3 Hearts '96

Hearts 2-0 Rangers '96

Hearts 1-0 Celtic (aet) '96

Hibs 0-4 Hearts '97

Hearts 4-1 Aberdeen '97

Kilmarnock 0-3 Hearts '97

Motherwell 1-4 Hearts '97

Aberdeen 1-4 Hearts '97

Hearts 5-3 Kilmarnock '97

Hearts 2-1 Rangers '98 :)

Dundee United 1-3 Hearts '99

Motherwell 0-4 Hearts '99

Aberdeen 2-5 Hearts '99

St Johnstone 1-4 Hearts '99

Dundee United 0-2 Hearts '99 (bloody immense, that one)

Celtic 2-3 Hearts '00

Hearts 1-0 Celtic '00

Hearts 3-2 Stuttgart '00

And yes, I have far too much time on my hands! :)

When Mark Yardley gets the better of someone, it's time to give up. Yardley did so the night of the right tit display!

Well, almost all opponents... :biggrin: Which game do you mean though? I remember one game in which JJ and Tom Hendrie were going at it all night long (ahem) after TH had made some less than kind comments about our style of play. Was it that one?

Geoff Kilpatrick
Well, almost all opponents... :biggrin: Which game do you mean though? I remember one game in which JJ and Tom Hendrie were going at it all night long (ahem) after TH had made some less than kind comments about our style of play. Was it that one?

Potentially. We won 1-0 that night with a penalty from Mickey - it was a Wednesday night in January. It's why I was kind of shocked when people booed us off against Hamilton. There's been a helluva lot worse!

Potentially. We won 1-0 that night with a penalty from Mickey - it was a Wednesday night in January. It's why I was kind of shocked when people booed us off against Hamilton. There's been a helluva lot worse!

Oh yeah! JJ had gone by then, and Levein was in charge: was only a couple of weeks after his "robbers/thieves" (I forget which) comments at Pittodrie.

The thread "I will not give up till this man is out" made me laugh quite a bit - quite ironic.

Explain where the irony comes in "O voice of the people":rolleyes:

Archived