National Anthems at football matches.

Gambo

Why do they feel the need to have some muppet sing it on the park. Why not just let the fans sing it themselves.

Huge big difference listening to last nights mish mash anthem at Hampden with the help of Amy McDonald as oppossed to the Rugby International at the weekend which was spot on when it was only the pipe band and the fans*.

This is not an arguement over wether Flower of Scotland should be the anthem, only a debate of wether a 'singer' is needed.

* This could also be down to a Glasgow/Edinburgh thing as oppossed to a football/rugby or singer/non singer thing as if i remember correctly football internationals that have taken place at Tynecastle/Fester Road have had near perfect anthems being sung.

Commander Harris

I prefer it without a singer, as they usually muck it up but I don't think the hampden acoustics help things - folk are always out of sync.

Why do they feel the need to have some muppet sing it on the park. Why not just let the fans sing it themselves.

Huge big difference listening to last nights mish mash anthem at Hampden with the help of Amy McDonald as oppossed to the Rugby International at the weekend which was spot on when it was only the pipe band and the fans*.

This is not an arguement over wether Flower of Scotland should be the anthem, only a debate of wether a 'singer' is needed.

* This could also be down to a Glasgow/Edinburgh thing as oppossed to a football/rugby or singer/non singer thing as if i remember correctly football internationals that have taken place at Tynecastle/Fester Road have had near perfect anthems being sung.

I ken wht u mean... how annoying is "oh flower of scotland, COME ON!, when will we....."

Can we no' do it without the COME ON bit?

99% of the time, I agree with Gambo. However, when they ballsed up the playing of GSTQ at the England-Germany semi-final 12 years ago (meaning it really wasn't as rousing as it should've been), Deutschland Uber Alles was sung with such grace and beauty in the face of predictably moronic boos by the rather tasty German fraulein on the pitch that I honestly felt it gave them a psychological edge before they'd even kicked off. Well, that and the sodding grey shirts, anyway... :mad:

5:19 onwards:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CnSx5KiYR9Y&feature=related

Incidentally, completely unrelated - but when West Brom were at home to Dinamo Bucharest in the late 70s, the DJ managed to misplace his copy of the Romanian anthem... so played Midnight in Moscow by Kenny Ball instead!

Commander Harris
Deutschland Uber Alles was sung with such grace and beauty!

pedantry alert!

it was Das Deutschlandlied that was sung. (part of it at least. ;))

pedantry alert!

it was Das Deutschlandlied that was sung. (part of it at least. ;))

I knew you'd pop up to put me right! :P

For what it's worth (not a lot, I know) I thought Aimy MacDonald's rendition was excellent. Her voice, pitch and delivery were perfect. She sang it as a folk song should be sung.

Archived