Is it just co-incidence?

JamboAl

Robbie Neilson has taken part in the last 3 games and we get 9 points.

Is it just co-incidence or is Robbie influential and underrated?

The last three wins have been against St Mirren, Inverness and Hamilton. All three teams were beaten the first time we played them.

Robbie Neilson is an awful player, but you know that already don't you.

3 games since Robbie came back into the side, 3 clean sheets.

Yes, against the poorest teams in the league, but those poorest teams in the league all scored against us in the last round of games against us. After Robbie dropped out of the team at the split until he came back in 3 games ago we were conceding just about an average of 2 goals per game :eek:. Now we go back to clean sheets.

Given how weak our attacking options are, preventing goals scored against us is a good thing!

Robbie doesn't look back to his best yet, but was okay yesterday and made one crucial block on the line.

This is a good point. I think the guy will never be the best player in the world but he has the heart of a lion and that must have an effect on the rest of the team. Thought he was great yesterday. Cannot believe so many Hearts fans are always on the guy's case.

Regardless of what some might think. Robbie is an experienced defender - something we have lacked so far this season. He may not be Carlos Alberto but still the best RB on the books.

3 games since Robbie came back into the side, 3 clean sheets.

Yes, against the poorest teams in the league, but those poorest teams in the league all scored against us in the last round of games against us. After Robbie dropped out of the team at the split until he came back in 3 games ago we were conceding just about an average of 2 goals per game :eek:. Now we go back to clean sheets.

Given how weak our attacking options are, preventing goals scored against us is a good thing!

Robbie doesn't look back to his best yet, but was okay yesterday and made one crucial block on the line.

Inverness did not score against us in the last round of games. Robbie Neilson made two substitute appearances in midfield before yesterday, I would only give him credit (as part of the defence) for the clean sheet for yesterday. Yesterday was against a team that, as stated above, did not score against us last time and Brewster was quoted as saying they could still be playing and would not have scored.

Giving Neilson the credit for the clean sheets against St Mirren and Hamilton (he only played half an hour ffs!) is unbelievable. However it does give weight to my belief that you have some sort of "relationship" with said player. :P

Inverness did not score against us in the last round of games. Robbie Neilson made two substitute appearances in midfield before yesterday, I would only give him credit (as part of the defence) for the clean sheet for yesterday. Yesterday was against a team that, as stated above, did not score against us last time and Brewster was quoted as saying they could still be playing and would not have scored.

Giving Neilson the credit for the clean sheets against St Mirren and Hamilton (he only played half an hour ffs!) is unbelievable. However it does give weight to my belief that you have some sort of "relationship" with said player. :P

I didn't give Robbie credit for anything. I asked a question which included the word INFLUENTIAL meaning that even if you decide he's rubbish, his experience and attitude could be rubbing off on others.

I don't know him and your suggestion of a "relationship" says a lot about you.

[/b]

I didn't give Robbie credit for anything. I asked a question which included the word INFLUENTIAL meaning that even if you decide he's rubbish, his experience and attitude could be rubbing off on others.

Imo, it is all about finding the right balance. Left to right, front to back, youth and experience. We have missed a bit experience on the park and his return has been good for the team.

Guest JamboRobbo

Who knows. On wed I thought he made us worse when he came on - him and Johnson both looked a bit unsure who was meant to do what.

I think the fact we've been playing the worst teams in the league the last 3 games has had more influence than the return of Robbie.

I'll see how we get on against teams outside the bottom four before making a judgement on whether his return is helping or hindering us.

Robbie's experience & no doubt helping the other defenders during TRAINING would have also helped us recently. He was also superb with that clearence just before half time. Try telling me a Hearts player who would have been in the same position????

Who knows. On wed I thought he made us worse when he came on - him and Johnson both looked a bit unsure who was meant to do what.

I think the fact we've been playing the worst teams in the league the last 3 games has had more influence than the return of Robbie.

I'll see how we get on against teams outside the bottom four before making a judgement on whether his return is helping or hindering us.

His return can't be hindering us that much if we get 9 points out of 9 and waiting for something in the future hardly enables one to cast judgment on the 3 games in question. Would these teams be in the bottom 4 if we hadn't beaten them?

Johanes de Silentio

I don't think anyone is saying that Robbie has bags of ability - he does, however, offer loads in the way of work-rate and experience.

Eggert is quality IMO, but Robbie has better postitional sense to play that particular role - i.e. he is a right back!

Robbie is also a much better communicator than anybody else at the back for us - he actually makes an effort to motivate and organise.

He may not be a world-beater in terms of his ability, but it could be that his influence can help to steady the ship - we're not exactly overloaded with talent, unfortunately.

Maybe we can do something about that in January?

If only some of our prima-donnas had an attitude to match Robbie's!

The People's Chimp
[/b]

I think that husref was referring to coco's "special relationship" and not yours.

But, like coco, i think robbie is the best option at rb and doesn't get enough credit.

It's funny, i think that BH is probably robbie's biggest critic (although i know that mckenzie is definitely not a fan either ;) ) while coco is his biggest fan.

[/b]

Play thesaurus boy if you wish, however giving a player credit for clean sheets is not too dissimilar to saying a player was influential in a teams clean sheets. Irrespective of how I rate Neilson, how can he be singled out for a clean sheet when he only played half an hour of a game?

As for the relationship remark, it was aimed at Coco and there was a huge dollop of humour attached to it as Coco and I have had this debate before. However, feel free to get all huffy with me, you can spread your huffiness about between myself and JamboRobbo now instead of just venting at JR ;)

Play thesaurus boy if you wish, however giving a player credit for clean sheets is not too dissimilar to saying a player was influential in a teams clean sheets. Irrespective of how I rate Neilson, how can he be singled out for a clean sheet when he only played half an hour of a game?

As for the relationship remark, it was aimed at Coco and there was a huge dollop of humour attached to it as Coco and I have had this debate before. However, feel free to get all huffy with me, you can spread your huffiness about between myself and JamboRobbo now instead of just venting at JR ;)

I think that it maybe because Larry ain't playing more so than Robbie's back!!! That may be reason why we've not conceded! :)

I think that it maybe because Larry ain't playing more so than Robbie's back!!! That may be reason why we've not conceded! :)

I'm inclined to agree with you on that one. If it is true that Larry has fallen out with Csaba then so be it. I don't think he's been missed in these three games.

If the other members of our squad showed the same level of commitment and energy that Robbie does we'd be much better off.

I asked a question - I did not give him credit.

I apologise if the relationship remark was not directed at me and I was not huffy. I do not vent at JR but just try to keep him right.

Its funny how so often now we get references to having beat the poorer teams. Its not that long ago this season that our league position indicated we were one of the poorer teams ourselves. I have said before, there are two "good" teams in the league. The rest are basically bottom feeders feeding off their peers when they have moments of weakness or are affected by injuries or suspensions. The winner of this group will be the one who takes advantage of the failings and weaknesses of others.

I am not sure Robbie is the be all and end all we need, but just his experience alone must be a confidence booster to some of the younger members. His attitude of wanting to play for HMFC, is also creditable compared to some of the more talented players we have and have had.

I asked a question - I did not give him credit.

I apologise if the relationship remark was not directed at me and I was not huffy. I do not vent at JR but just try to keep him right.

I was only debating the question, of which there were two answers. Coco posted along the lines of believing Neilson was an influence on our three clean sheets, I responded.

As for apologising, it is honestly not necessary. :) Sometime the written word doesn't accurately convey things like humour and intonation.

Yes we have!

:biggrin:

From listening to the St Mirren game on the internet, it sounds like Robbie really made a great impact on that game.

Against Hamilton, I don't think his influence was particularly great.

He was part of the defence yesterday so deserves some credit.

So no I don't believe we should give Robbie more credit but he is valuable to the squad.

Neilson has been and always be Queen of the South material.

He may give some experience but i would rather buy a decent right back but not before a quality centrehalf

Yes - co-incedence

letsmakesomenoise
Robbie Neilson has taken part in the last 3 games and we get 9 points.

Is it just co-incidence or is Robbie influential and underrated?

It's sad to say, but I am a big Robbie fan! The boy is head and shoulders above the rest of the dross we have in defence

Mon the Tackle!!!

I think that husref was referring to coco's "special relationship" and not yours.

But, like coco, i think robbie is the best option at rb and doesn't get enough credit.

It's funny, i think that BH is probably robbie's biggest critic (although i know that mckenzie is definitely not a fan either ;) ) while coco is his biggest fan.

Always wondered why Coco seemed to have a soft spot (or hard-on:p) for Robbie when it seemed so out of character given his views on other players...

Robbie is a good honest pro, and has a good engine. That's about all you can say about him. He can defend but he cannot attack. In a good team he always looked like the weakest link but in a poor team he is the hardest worker and thus he actually becomes a plus...

Robbie is about the only link we have back to before romanov and is about as close to a leader as we've had since Elvis and Hartley left. He knows what it means to play for Hearts and he is exactly the type of character we need in the team. I'm glad to see him back.

Robbie is about the only link we have back to before romanov and is about as close to a leader as we've had since Elvis and Hartley left. He knows what it means to play for Hearts and he is exactly the type of character we need in the team. I'm glad to see him back.

Whilst I have criticised RN in the past, and still hold the view that he is not the most talented, I can only concur 100% with casper's post.

The last part of that post are words I would never had thought myself agreeing with, but I am quite happy to eat them...

Frankenstein Jambo.

People are saying that we have played the worst team in the league these past three games but those team have to be beaten and tbh we are not THAT much better. Theres not many points between us and the bottom half of the table so to win the three games deserves some fecking praise and not critism.

Without Robbie on the pitch yesterday ICT would have scored.

FACT

So is he now Robbie 'the tackle' ? :P

or Robbie 'the clearance' :)

Not sure if my 'squared' came out well then but you know what I mean anyway :rolleyes:

If the other members of our squad showed the same level of commitment and energy that Robbie does we'd be much better off.

Perhaps. But if other members of our squad showed the same level of footballing ability as Robbie we'd really be up cack creek.

agreed also i dont see how you cant say he had something to do with it as he cleared a ball of the line on saturday even the biggest robbie detractor has to call that a 2 pointer ffs

I think we have benefitted from his

1. experience

2. attitude

3. defensive awareness

since he has returned (sorry BH!)

When we are playing the sort of football we are these things are important

Nelly Terraces

Compared to the teams of 3, or even only 2 years ago, Robbie was certainly one of the lesser talents, although his attitude and his willingness to get torn in, and never hide, could never be questioned.

In the current set up though, he is far from the worst player we have, there are several who I'd quite gladly get rid off before the Robster. He's back from a very serious injury, and yet again, he is showing his willingness to fight for the cause. The boys an honest player, who I'd imagine is the first to admit he's no Maldini - but at least he tries his hardest for the Hearts, and always gives 100% when he pulls on the shirt.

Go the Retriever.:)

Compared to the teams of 3, or even only 2 years ago, Robbie was certainly one of the lesser talents, although his attitude and his willingness to get torn in, and never hide, could never be questioned.

In the current set up though, he is far from the worst player we have, there are several who I'd quite gladly get rid off before the Robster. He's back from a very serious injury, and yet again, he is showing his willingness to fight for the cause. The boys an honest player, who I'd imagine is the first to admit he's no Maldini - but at least he tries his hardest for the Hearts, and always gives 100% when he pulls on the shirt.

Go the Retriever.:)

It might be that he's really better than Cafu but his injury has held him back.:)

When Robbie came on at Love Street it gave the team and the fans a lift, and he played really well - going forward as well as in defence. You would certainly not have said he was a player of limited ability compared to the rest of the squad - quite the contrary. I agree with those who have said he wasn't as effective against Hamilton. I wasn't in Inverness, so I can't comment on that performance.

But he does offer experience in spades, something I have no doubt the rest of our defence can benefit from. And for me he is also a link, and a welcome one, to - how can I put it - "pre-madness". He is someone with whom I can identify. I like seeing him in a Hearts shirt. Difficult to explain this last point, and I probably haven't made a very good job of it.

When Robbie came on at Love Street it gave the team and the fans a lift, and he played really well - going forward as well as in defence. You would certainly not have said he was a player of limited ability compared to the rest of the squad - quite the contrary. I agree with those who have said he wasn't as effective against Hamilton. I wasn't in Inverness, so I can't comment on that performance.

But he does offer experience in spades, something I have no doubt the rest of our defence can benefit from. And for me he is also a link, and a welcome one, to - how can I put it - "pre-madness". He is someone with whom I can identify. I like seeing him in a Hearts shirt. Difficult to explain this last point, and I probably haven't made a very good job of it.

There are tons of us who feel likewise, I suspect. He's the last remaining link - not just to Levein, but even Jefferies. Every club needs someone like that, even in these very different times.

Archived