Alex Salmond on Children in Need

loveofthegame

loveofthegame

What did people think of this last night as the Reverend I. M. Jolly?! I'm as against the SNP as you can be, but thought it was pretty funny and fair play to AS.

Whatever you think of him or his political viewpoint you can't not admit the man is an incredibly good politician- knows what to say, how to act, etc etc at all the right times. Watched Question Time when he was on it a few weeks ago and he waltzed through it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=I8OMGWVPfbI

I thought it was cringeworthy. Fat Alex is a vain, pompous oaf. Fact. :o

Fortunately the post of First Minister is a diddy job with no credibility so he can't really bring the role into disrepute.

MacDonald Jardine
What did people think of this last night as the Reverend I. M. Jolly?! I'm as against the SNP as you can be, but thought it was pretty funny and fair play to AS.

Whatever you think of him or his political viewpoint you can't not admit the man is an incredibly good politician- knows what to say, how to act, etc etc at all the right times. Watched Question Time when he was on it a few weeks ago and he waltzed through it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=I8OMGWVPfbI

Yes, it in no way came across as undignified or unbefitting for a man who claims to want to lead the country.

I'm looking forward to his Coco the clown act next year and hopefully a Santa turn at Christmas.

I'm looking forward to his Coco the clown act

He's already doing it, albeit without realising.

I thought it was cringeworthy. Fat Alex is a vain, pompous oaf. Fact. :o

Fortunately the post of First Minister is a diddy job with no credibility so he can't really bring the role into disrepute.

All aboard the easily offended bus....ding, ding. ;)

Yes, it in no way came across as undignified or unbefitting for a man who claims to want to lead the country.

I'm looking forward to his Coco the clown act next year and hopefully a Santa turn at Christmas.

Yes - someone prepared to laugh at himself and do something for a good cause. How shocking! In no way is your view motivated by your political stance, I'm sure... :rolleyes:

During the US Presidential campaign, the candidates appeared on Saturday Night Live and made fun of themselves too: good for them. Salmond is the most effective nationalist politician I can recall. He's funny, smart and very savvy - and contrary to the gibberish often written on here, does not preach hate or bigotry at all. Independence is a heck of a long way off, so unionists can rest easy: indeed, I think the SNP would be nothing without him. As Nicola Sturgeon hilariously found to her cost a few years back thinking the leadership would be hers.

If political point scoring can be made out of last nights CIN, then he must be doing a reasonable job in office.

I personally don't think it's very statesman-like to do these things, however there was a lot of money raised last night & that is to be applauded.

All aboard the easily offended bus....ding, ding. ;)

I've never been on that bus Dave.

I've never been on that bus Dave.

Pretty sure you're the driver ;)

Salmond's obviously a git, it's a disgrace that he would go on a show to help raise money for children. Typical swine. Uh-huh :rolleyes:

MacDonald Jardine
Yes - someone prepared to laugh at himself and do something for a good cause. How shocking! In no way is your view motivated by your political stance, I'm sure... :rolleyes:

During the US Presidential campaign, the candidates appeared on Saturday Night Live and made fun of themselves too: good for them. Salmond is the most effective nationalist politician I can recall. He's funny, smart and very savvy - and contrary to the gibberish often written on here, does not preach hate or bigotry at all. Independence is a heck of a long way off, so unionists can rest easy: indeed, I think the SNP would be nothing without him. As Nicola Sturgeon hilariously found to her cost a few years back thinking the leadership would be hers.

I don't have an especially partisan stance and I've never suggested he preaches bigotry.

Salmond is often Scotland's most effective politician when he isn't playing the smug know it all.

Do you think McCain and Palin became more believable as a credible Presidential team by appearing on SNL? I don't.

I don't have an especially partisan stance and I've never suggested he preaches bigotry.

Salmond is often Scotland's most effective politician when he isn't playing the smug know it all.

Do you think McCain and Palin became more believable as a credible Presidential team by appearing on SNL? I don't.

I don't think it did them any harm, McCain especially. We live in an age in which the public regards politicians as increasingly out of touch - and any small attempts to remedy this are welcome in my book. A lot of Salmond's appeal emanates from his coming across, quite simply, as a fully paid up member of the human race: a very modern politician, someone you'd happily go for a pint with. I certainly don't agree with all his politics (I'm often unsure whether they're centre left, centre right, or a bit of both); but I definitely respect his abilities.

tony bLiar appeared on children in need with cathrine tate too remember...

i think its a peice of harmless nonsense that may have made a few more quid for a decent charity. he can laugh at himself, and people still try and turn it into point scoring

who is the worst? those who indulge in a political pishing contest, or those who can take the micky out themselves for a good cause huh??

that skit wasn't about politics, it was about raising money for children in need

who is the worst? those who indulge in a political pishing contest, or those who can take the micky out themselves for a good cause huh??

:rolleyes:

Fat Alex most certainly engages in the political pishing contests. He wasn't taking the mickey out of himself, he's so vain he thought he'd be genuinely funny. As it turned out he was toe-curlingly embarrassing.

this is petty and childish, but hey, if he got on your mammaries so much you felt the need to post about it, thats good enough for me :D

loveofthegame
It won't be an independent Scotland, that's for sure. :)

I certainly hope not. But i did realise when i made the OP that certain posters would come on and bash the gag regardless. Some people just can't see past their political views. It was a light-hearted and well pulled off bit of banter in aid of charity. Fair play to AS.

Then what the hell are you so concerned about if he is the leader or not?

As I'm sure most are aware I am not a fan in the slightest of Alex or the SNP, but I can't have a go about this. Yes it's unfunny, yes it's embarrassing, but he's doing it for charity and a good cause. Fair play to him. Not nearly as bad as George Galloway.

As I'm sure most are aware I am not a fan in the slightest of Alex or the SNP, but I can't have a go about this. Yes it's unfunny, yes it's embarrassing, but he's doing it for charity and a good cause. Fair play to him. Not nearly as bad as George Galloway.

Kilroy-Silk tonight. Now that should be funny. :eek:

maltese jambo
:rolleyes:

Fat Alex most certainly engages in the political pishing contests. He wasn't taking the mickey out of himself, he's so vain he thought he'd be genuinely funny. As it turned out he was toe-curlingly embarrassing.

Give it a rest.

I'm not the biggest fan of Salmond or his politics but once I got over the shock of him actually doing something like that in the first place, I thought he was quite good. It could so easily have been cringeworthy, uncomfortable viewing but it wasn't at all....he did a surprisingly good job.

Not really what you expect to see from top level politicians but as long as they don't make utter arses of themselves, I don't suppose it does any harm. I think he even went up a teeny wee bit in my estimation for doing it, gotta admire a sense of humour I suppose. :)

It is precisely the attitudes of people like you who will continue to drive the move for Independence forward.

Keep up the good work, Therapist. Talk the Union up and Scotland down at every turn. Express the Scottish cringe as much you like. It is all grist to the Independence mill.

I hate Salmond, but....

A bit strong, no?

What on Earth's he done to you to merit the ultimate expression of dislike, S.N.T.H.?

Not nearly as bad as George Galloway.

I don't know about that. It hasn't done 'gorgeous' George any harm. His radio phone in on Talk Sport goes from strength to strength.

I don't think it does any harm whatsover for public figures to let their hair down and appear human now and again.

A bit strong, no?

What on Earth's he done to you to merit the ultimate expression of dislike, S.N.T.H.?

Nothing. SNTH's just doing what he's told.

I P Knightley
tony bLiar appeared on children in need with cathrine tate too remember...

He did, too. And as much as I can't stand the man's politics, I found myself giving his performance a round of applause.

Mind you, it was well known at the time that he was on the road out so the risk of ridicule was not as great as it might be for Salmond.

It is precisely the attitudes of people like you who will continue to drive the move for Independence forward.

Keep up the good work, Therapist. Talk the Union up and Scotland down at every turn. Express the Scottish cringe as much you like. It is all grist to the Independence mill.

Exactly.

And people like me who aren't that keen on independence or the media hype surrounding the whole anti-Scottish, anti-English thing wish people like him would just shoosht and stop stirring the pot.

Exactly.

And people like me who aren't that keen on independence or the media hype surrounding the whole anti-Scottish, anti-English thing wish people like him would just shoosht and stop stirring the pot.

Must have hit a raw nerve. No response from him as yet- surpise, surprise.

...A lot of Salmond's appeal emanates from his coming across, quite simply, as a fully paid up member of the human race: a very modern politician, someone you'd happily go for a pint with...

Who the **** would go for a pint with Salmond? What a strange thing to say - although, to be fair, I could only ever imagine you going for a pint with goatee bearded freaks, drinking real ale and listening to folk music, so I don't think that your judgement is all that representative.

...Not really what you expect to see from top level politicians...

You still haven't seen it from a top level politician.

Personally, I think that "loathe" is a stronger word than "hate". Although, given that politics by definition covers your most strongly held ideals, if anyone's worth hating someone over then their politics is probably it.

Who the **** would go for a pint with Salmond? What a strange thing to say - although, to be fair, I could only ever imagine you going for a pint with goatee bearded freaks, drinking real ale and listening to folk music, so I don't think that your judgement is all that representative.

I'm sure plenty of people would happily go for a pint with him: he's a popular figure as politicians go. And I go for a pint (of Diet Coke) with all kinds of people all the time: sorry to disillusion you there, Fraser.

I'm sure plenty of people would happily go for a pint with him: he's a popular figure as politicians go. And I go for a pint (of Diet Coke) with all kinds of people all the time: sorry to disillusion you there, Fraser.

Being in the same room as people trying to listen to their conversations doesn't count as going for a pint with them. Do you pretend to be on first name terms with them too, Lawson?

Nice one Salmond.

I don't see the problem with the Scottish First Minister doing his bit for Children in Need. I think there is enough things to critisize Politicians without resorting to moaning when they do something for charity.

Being in the same room as people trying to listen to their conversations doesn't count as going for a pint with them. Do you pretend to be on first name terms with them too?

I have plenty of good friends who I enjoy going for drinks with. As for calling you by your name: what a shocker! I hardly think it's a big secret, McQueen.

I have plenty of good friends who I enjoy going for drinks with. As for calling you by your name: what a shocker! I hardly think it's a big secret, McQueen.

I think that you're protesting too much - and you're right, it isn't. I've never made a secret of who I am, mainly because I don't believe in hiding behind a monitor and a pseudonym. I'm not quite sure what you think that you're proving by saying that you know my name, as you're probably the least threatening person on here. Anyway, I (obviously) know yours. I just think you've maybe flipped again.

I think that you're protesting too much - and you're right, it isn't. I've never made a secret of who I am, mainly because I don't believe in hiding behind a monitor and a pseudonym. I'm not quite sure what you think that you're proving by saying that you know my name, as you're probably the least threatening person on here. Anyway, I (obviously) know yours. I just think you've maybe flipped again.

I'm very glad to hear it. Bizarre how you briefly seemed so defensive about something so non-threatening, really. And no: unlike a few weeks ago, I am happy to report that my mental equilibrium is entirely in balance. :)

I'm very glad to hear it. Bizarre how you briefly seemed so defensive about something so non-threatening, really. And no: unlike a few weeks ago, I am happy to report that my mental equilibrium is entirely in balance. :)

I wasn't defensive about it per se, I just found it really, really creepy. MOD EDIT, which is usually only the case when you're talking about the nice, non-offensive songs we could sing.

I wasn't defensive about it per se, I just found it really, really creepy. Your posts were starting to read like you could potentially be typing them one handed whilst pleasuring yourself with the other, which is usually only the case when you're talking about the nice, non-offensive songs we could sing.

:biggrin:

Goodness knows where this idea of people creaming themselves at the thought of someone replying to their posts on the interweb originates from. I'd like to think this will never have applied to anyone, ever. And of course, I don't believe in non-offensive songs; football is a game involving passion and edge. But I do think there's a line, as I hope do you too.

Archived