Working Abroad

Gaz

Hi Guys

Im looking to go abroad next summer to work, Spain preferrably. Looking for bar or restaurant work. hows best to get started, is it best just to go over at the start of the season and how do you sort out accomodation ?

cheers guys

I worked in Ayia Napa in '92 for a year and it was MENTAL. The place was just beginning to take off so i got there at the right time.

1. Go early i.e end of April beginning of May before all the students go and snap up the good jobs. That way you can get decent accommodation and a decent job and it gives you time to learn it as well.

2. I had to hawk myself round all the pubs for a fortnight until I got a good job. Be prepared for knockbacks. There is more money in restaurant work but pub work is where the 'fun' is if you get my drift :brows: If you can, get a Brit pub to work in. Easier for obvious reasons, language, making pals etc.

3. If you are in luck, the folk you are working for can sort you with decent accommodation through their pals. You might have to share though so be prepared for that. I had STUPENDOUS digs on the Turkish border but I was very lucky (the boss even gave me his old Mazda to run around in!).

4. You WILL NOT make enough money to retire on! The pay is crap wherever you go and it will cover your digs and food. Nothing else. You will get to know the cheap places to eat and locals will give you discount in their restaurants. A bonus is that the clubs let you in free once they get to know your face or your boss puts in a word for you.

5. It can be a long day working in the heat and I GUARANTEE that after 2 months non-stop partying, you will be knackered.

6. But you will get more poontang than you can handle. Trust me on that one! Even us ugly blokes do well abroad.

7. Word of warning. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT be tempted to get involved with 'mind altering' substances. For reasons too long to go into, I ended up overnight in a Cypriot cop shop. One night was more than enough!!! YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE LOCKED UP ABROAD!!!

8. If you do it right, it totally changes your personality, your outlook on life, your tolerance of others and is INVALUABLE life experience.

Go for it before you get mortgaged and sprogged up :653:

Keep us informed and Give them Gorgie

Archived