Lockerbie bomber

Towzer

From what i've read, he seems to have incredibly aggressive tumour so it looks like he's probably got months rather than years still to serve.

Surely having terminal cancer should have went in his favour?

Tbh as someone quite young I dont know the ins and outs, there definitely seems to be a lot of doubt, with even victims saying he should be freed so it seems a bit of a dodgy one

Really dont see what harm letting him out in the circumstances would have done, will look very silly in a few years time when he is dead if he is proven innocent and the british justice system made an innocent man die in custody, yes it no doubt happens but this is a particularly public case

A mate of my brother was one of the prison officers seconded to guard them when the trial was set up in Europe ( was it a Scottish court set up in Holland ? ).

Anyway, I remember him telling me the two accused were the scariest prisoners he had dealt with. Apparently they were intelligent and constantly played mind games with the guards. They would smile and tell them to have a safe flight home etc. They soon sussed the shift patterns and would continually talk about the flights back to Scotland and how easily something could be arranged.

He made plenty cash during the time, but even still......

Why??

He's been found guilty in a court of law...You're the one that harped on about the law when the Rearend banning was discussed..."Never been charged, found guilty of anything, so they shouldnae be allowed to ban him!!"

This guy HAS been found guilty, Just because he's sick he should be allowed to go free!!

So, in your world Rearend is an innocent, misunderstood wee lamb and the Lockerbie bomber isnae well...Let them both have an easy life!! :rolleyes:

We're the Fek is that ignore button??

Why??

He's been found guilty in a court of law...You're the one that harped on about the law when the Rearend banning was discussed..."Never been charged, found guilty of anything, so they shouldnae be allowed to ban him!!"

This guy HAS been found guilty, Just because he's sick he should be allowed to go free!!

So, in your world Rearend is an innocent, misunderstood wee lamb and the Lockerbie bomber isnae well...Let them both have an easy life!! :rolleyes:

We're the Fek is that ignore button??

And the appeal courts have also said that his trial was a complete farce and due to the likiehood of a mistake he should be allowed a retrial....

Do you think they did that because they were bored? No they did it because they like many others saw that the trial was flawed and there is a very real likiehood of a serious mistake having happened.

No one is saying easy life but if this guy is innocent/likely innocent, then he shouldnt be robbed of the very limited time he has left, and of his family. Its hardly like he is going to have a great time or do a runner is it.

You might also find many prevalent lockerbie victims agree with the fact he should be freed and that something is wrong with the conviction

And the appeal courts have also said that his trial was a complete farce and due to the likiehood of a mistake he should be allowed a retrial....

Do you think they did that because they were bored? No they did it because they like many others saw that the trial was flawed and there is a very real likiehood of a serious mistake having happened.

No one is saying easy life but if this guy is innocent/likely innocent, then he shouldnt be robbed of the very limited time he has left, and of his family. Its hardly like he is going to have a great time or do a runner is it.

You might also find many prevalent lockerbie victims agree with the fact he should be freed and that something is wrong with the conviction

If the Court of Appeal really did say that then surely there would have been a re-trial by now?

Or are you pontificating your usual nonsense again?

It would take more than one man to plan and carry out a terrorist attack like the Lockerbie bomb.

The guy in jail worked for the Libyan version of the secret service. There seems little doubt that Lybia carried out the bombing and he is carrying the can for the lot of them. He was just a cog in a mechanism.

I wouldn't want to be seen to be setting him free, or every 40 cigs a day serial killer in Scottish jails with terminal cancer would expect the same.

I would hand him over to the Libyan authorities and it's up to them whether he serves the rest of his sentence (clearly, he would be freed).

All that says is he should be allowed right to appeal.

Not that there was a mis-trial.

And it isn't British justice in this case, but the Scottish Judicial System that is responsible.

The leave was granted on the grounds that their may have been a miscarriage of justice.

portobellojambo1
Not getting out because hes got cancer.

Personally i hope the ******* lives for another 50 year in absolute agony.

The unfortunate thing is that in his last few months he will get better nursing care and medical help within the prison unit than he would if he were back home in Libya. In such circumstances we should have punted the fecker back to Libya and left him to die in pain.

The leave was granted on the grounds that their may have been a miscarriage of justice.

Being the operative word.

You said

the appeal courts have also said that his trial was a complete farce

The Appeal Courts said no such thing. If the Court of Appeal had then there would have been another trial pronto or the defendant would've walked.

It was the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission that recommended the second appeal, not the appeal court.

Stop making stuff up!

You said

The Appeal Courts said no such thing. If the Court of Appeal had then there would have been another trial pronto or the defendant would've walked.

It was the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission that recommended the second appeal, not the appeal court.

Stop making stuff up!

How does it go Prancer...OWNED!! :P

portobellojambo1

You said

Stop making stuff up!

Prancer is in training to be a journalist, he has to make stuff up, it goes with the job spec. ;)

The unfortunate thing is that in his last few months he will get better nursing care and medical help within the prison unit than he would if he were back home in Libya. In such circumstances we should have punted the fecker back to Libya and left him to die in pain.

Spot on.

Jambof3tornado

Let him rot where he is. I would like to think that as a tax payer I am not funding his medical bills,but unfortunately I am realistic enough to know that I am(that and his private room in prison)

He should have been dragged around Lockerbie tied to the bumper of a car and people should have been encouraged to throw hot oil and sharp stones at him.

Let him rot where he is. I would like to think that as a tax payer I am not funding his medical bills,but unfortunately I am realistic enough to know that I am(that and his private room in prison)

He should have been dragged around Lockerbie tied to the bumper of a car and people should have been encouraged to throw hot oil and sharp stones at him.

How very civilised.

Looks like his second appeal may have had to have been made posthumously!

:rolleyes:

How does it go Prancer...OWNED!! :P

I cant believe your 43

your limited ability to grasp the point of debate or intelligent chat is amazing, not to mention the continual stalking of my posts whilst acting like someone a 1/4 of your age.

As for the topic itself, as far as I am concerned the guy is unlikely to be here much longer, there are massive concerns over the reliability of his conviction and in all honesty he was a patsy for the Liberian, US and Uk Government to draw a line under the issues.

I think he should have definitly been bailed, or liberated to liberia for the remainder of his sentence, the offence is undoubtadly serious but for me this isnt your usual two bit murder sentence and is far beyond anything comparable.

If a few years down the line he is found innocent god help our courts and government off the backlash.

If his condition worsens, he may be allowed out, however the decision not to release him was made on the basis he could have some years left !

The whole thing's an embarrassment to the Scottish Legal system...as will be revealed in time.

I P Knightley

I've spent a few nights in Lockerbie.

The locals wouldn't need much encouragement to throw sharp stones at anything.

I P Knightley
the guy is unlikely to be here much longer, there are massive concerns over the reliability of his conviction and in all honesty he was a patsy for the Liberian, US and Uk Government to draw a line under the issues.

I don't doubt for a second that the guy is a patsy. It wouldn't surprise me if the Libyans chose an agent whose medical records indicated a high risk of cancer...

That said, though, if all governments were complicit in setting up this geezer, do you really think they'd draw attention to this by conducting an above board appeal?

I have only been astonished by 2 verdicts in my lifetime and the Lockerbie Bombers' Trial was one of them. The other was the O J Simpson murder trial.

It's amazing the amount of people on this thread who seem to be privvy to information that this guy is innocent.

As far as I am aware, he was convicted of plotting to blow up a civilian airliner which resulted in the deaths of hundreds of innocent people. I really don't give a feck about his current condition.

I give you the Birmingham 6 and the Guildford 4.

So everyone in prisons innocent?

No one on this thread knows if he's innocent or guilty, yet there's plenty stating he's innocent.

Birmingham 6 Guildford 4.

That must've been a great game.

I love the FA Cup.

Buffalo Bill

husref musemic

In his favour ? eh no, he's convicted of the murderer of 300 people.

I cant believe your 43

your limited ability to grasp the point of debate or intelligent chat is amazing, not to mention the continual stalking of my posts whilst acting like someone a 1/4 of your age.

As for the topic itself, as far as I am concerned the guy is unlikely to be here much longer, there are massive concerns over the reliability of his conviction and in all honesty he was a patsy for the Liberian, US and Uk Government to draw a line under the issues.

I think he should have definitly been bailed, or liberated to liberia for the remainder of his sentence, the offence is undoubtadly serious but for me this isnt your usual two bit murder sentence and is far beyond anything comparable.

If a few years down the line he is found innocent god help our courts and government off the backlash.

Call me pedantic but I'm pretty sure the guy, whether guilty or innocent, is from Libya, not Liberia... :rolleyes:

Call me pedantic but I'm pretty sure the guy, whether guilty or innocent, is from Libya, not Liberia... :rolleyes:

Snigger. ;)

Post of the day.

I don't think the Libyan Government had anything to do with Lockerbie. I remember reading that one of the main documents even got the date of the bombing wrong, this was after it had been reviewed and was released to the public.

At the time the Iranians were strong suspects, and there was a (Panorama/World in Action?) programme where they ended up speaking to some chap who said that the Lockerbie bomb had been planned on Pan am Flight 107 in revenge for the Iranian passenger flight which was mistakenly identified as an F14 fighter by US radar.

Based on the evidence that has not yet made it to the appeal court I think he should have gone free.

The case is due to be reviewed because there is a chance the conviction may not be safe.

I say it's better to let 10 killers go free in order to save one innocent man from dying in jail.

I would say the chances of him not being involved are slim. Maybe about 10% but that's enough doubt in my mind.

All those who say he should be left to rot have clearly never had to watch a family member suffer in jail for a crime they didn't commit. (Neither have I, but I bet the experience would change some people's views).

Tbh as someone quite young I dont know the ins and outs, there definitely seems to be a lot of doubt, with even victims saying he should be freed so it seems a bit of a dodgy one

Really dont see what harm letting him out in the circumstances would have done, will look very silly in a few years time when he is dead if he is proven innocent and the british justice system made an innocent man die in custody, yes it no doubt happens but this is a particularly public case

are you for real you dont see the harm in letting him out,tell that to someone that lost somebody the day he blew up that plane.ok why dont we just let all crimanils out incase they die or never done it in the first place

are you for real you dont see the harm in letting him out,tell that to someone that lost somebody the day he blew up that plane.ok why dont we just let all crimanils out incase they die or never done it in the first place

Jim Swire, who lost his daughter Flora on Pan Am 103, has met Megrahi and based on evidence available; would like him released !

Jim Swire, who lost his daughter Flora on Pan Am 103, has met Megrahi and based on evidence available; would like him released !

The guy sat through the whole trial, and has more reason than most posters on this board to want him to die behind bars, but even he thinks that there were flaws in the evidence presented, so it kind of throws up a fair amount of doubt whether he did it or not .

My point was that innocent as well as guilty people are in jails.

Again, so what?

Your original point implied that because of Birmingham and Guildford we should presume this guy is innocent. Following your logic, we can presume that everyone in jail is innocent?

If not, then your point is wholly irrelevent.

I listened to the father of one of the victims on the radio the other day. He had sat through the whole trial and probably knows more about this case than the rest of us put together.

Despite the loss of his daughter he is absolutely convinced that this man is innocent of this crime and also that Libya probably had nothing to do with it.

I don't know enough about it myself but it certainly sounds like the case needs relooked at.

Archived