University 2009

Ali-1874

Anyone else applying to go to Uni next year?

Applied on Thursday for History at Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee. Got Unconditionals for Glasgow and Dundee already.

Not sure where I want to go yet.. I'll see what the other Uni's offer me.

Carl Weathers

Applied on Thursday for History at Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee. Got Unconditionals for Glasgow and Dundee already.

Best of luck.

Out of interest, what sort of job are you looking to get after?

Best of luck.

Out of interest, what sort of job are you looking to get after?

Cheers.

Not a clue yet. Journalism has always interested me but apparently the skills you pick up in a History degree can lead to lots of different things.

maybe you should grow up and get a job.

Maybe he has a better chance of getting a job by going to university? :rolleyes:

Maybe he has a better chance of getting a job by going to university? :rolleyes:

maybe he should get a job now instead of *****ing around for 5 years.

Patrick Bateman

Best of luck, ignore the anti-intellectual flak from the Khemer Rouge wannabes. St Andrews is a fine, fine University. They have open days on most Wednesdays and it's well worth a visit. You'll need to book in advance, but they build up quite a nice wee itinerary.

Dundee is filled with scrubbers!

Cheers.

Not a clue yet. Journalism has always interested me but apparently the skills you pick up in a History degree can lead to lots of different things.

They can indeed! A word of warning, though: vocational degrees such as law or something scientific are always preferable to a straight History one if you want to earn a decent amount afterwards. You'll find you'll have to take a further course once you graduate: an NCTJ diploma in Journalism, for example; or a Masters in something.

I did a History undergraduate degree, History of International Relations Masters and have almost finished my History PhD - but even that only qualifies me to be a lecturer, archivist or (the excitement!) librarian. It's all been great fun: as a subject, History teaches you to argue a case, analyse and empathise with different points of view, form cogent political opinions, and bore the pants off everyone on football messageboards. But if you did decide on a career in journalism, at least keep in mind that there are undergraduate degrees in that at a few unis (notably Sheffield) which would equip you extremely well for the future.

Good luck!

maybe he should get a job now instead of *****ing around for 5 years.

And get paid the minimum wage? If he's talented, able and ambitious, why should he? If you had or have kids, would you deprive them the chance of a university education (which is as vital for life skills as it is anything else) because of your tired prejudices?

I have friends at all of them

St Andrews is your best bet. Ok, the place is full of snobs, but got for it.

Dundee is a dive.

Glasgow is a good uni, but in a shagger of a location.

Aberdeen is full of druggies

Edinburgh is a good uni, but full of toss-pots. If you don't mind that, then there you go! ;)

Carl Weathers
Cheers.

I'm sure you'll have a great time along the way.

Don't listen to any sadsacks that tell you to get a job! Plenty time for that! ;)

Carl Weathers
Best of luck, ignore the anti-intellectual flak from the Khemer Rouge wannabes. St Andrews is a fine, fine University. They have open days on most Wednesdays and it's well worth a visit. You'll need to book in advance, but they build up quite a nice wee itinerary.

Dundee is filled with scrubbers!

Basically, he should go to Dundee. :)

Journalism was just one of the many ideas I've had, truthfully don't have a clue what I want the degree to lead on to..

As for the Unis: I'd say it was between Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews.

And get paid the minimum wage? If he's talented, able and ambitious, why should he? If you had or have kids, would you deprive them the chance of a university education (which is as vital for life skills as it is anything else) because of your tired prejudices?

Only if academically capable and doing a degree of some importance in the real world, otherwise its just a waste of time/ parents money, ever heard of the open university where you can do both, most jobs pay more than the minimum wage unless you're a hamburger flipper. No prejudice here just a realist.

Journalism was just one of the many ideas I've had, truthfully don't have a clue what I want the degree to lead on to..

As for the Unis: I'd say it was between Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews.

Which is fair enough. Do you favour a good, vibrant night scene; or a campus based uni in a quieter location? If I end up teaching at Edinburgh or St Andrews, that'd be a dream for me - but Glasgow, while not my cup of tea, comes increasingly recommended by many students.

currently on my 2nd gap yr, meant to go last yr, deffered. meant to go this year, deffered. going travelling in Feb for 5 months so next yr it is. got a place at canterbury. but have a mate in Bristol and the place rocks so may re-apply and go there.

Which is fair enough. Do you favour a good, vibrant night scene; or a campus based uni in a quieter location? If I end up teaching at Edinburgh or St Andrews, that'd be a dream for me - but Glasgow, while not my cup of tea, comes increasingly recommended by many students.

Glasgow was the one which impressed me most during the open days and just from visiting the union stalls I could see the nightlife would be brilliant there.

Edinburgh would be good because I like living here and it also impressed me on the open day.

St Andrews I'm not so sure about. I know the Uni is supposed to be amazing but I'm not really sure if it would be for me and if it would be too quiet..

Its History and Politics I'm applying for at all the Unis mentioned above, thought I should mention that.

Only if academically capable and doing a degree of some importance in the real world, otherwise its just a waste of time/ parents money, ever heard of the open university where you can do both, most jobs pay more than the minimum wage unless you're a hamburger flipper. No prejudice here just a realist.

OK, fair enough. I just think it's a pretty depressing reality to condemn 18 year olds to. Don't get me wrong: there are far too many people at university now, which means there are nowhere near enough graduate jobs to go round - and afterwards, in order to get ahead, you have to do a Masters, which can cost shedloads. Meaning rather than a genuine meritocracy, we have one based on wealth. :sad:

I've never, ever understood why we don't have far more vocational training from 16 onwards: there should be no distinction between it and academic qualifications in my view. But given Ali's already had an unconditional offer from Glasgow for a History degree, he's clearly got ability; and while I have the utmost respect for the OU, you just can't underestimate the life skills which living away from home and meeting people from a variety of backgrounds provides.

Patrick Bateman
Basically, he should go to Dundee. :)

Under normal circumstances, I'd probably say yes, but those scrubbers tend to be 15 year old Oompma Loompas with a couple of sprogs in tow. There's also a deceptive lack of things to do in Dundee, except visit the West Gate shopping centre (to do more Loompa spotting) or, erm, go and look at the Discovery.

Anyway, here's The Guardian's League table to give you an idea.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php

How about working for a living, or dont you want to grow up?;)

Glasgow was the one which impressed me most during the open days and just from visiting the union stalls I could see the nightlife would be brilliant there.

Edinburgh would be good because I like living here and it also impressed me on the open day.

St Andrews I'm not so sure about. I know the Uni is supposed to be amazing but I'm not really sure if it would be for me and if it would be too quiet..

Its History and Politics I'm applying for at all the Unis mentioned above, thought I should mention that.

Which one has the higher rated department/is harder to get into? Edinburgh, I'm assuming? Just from reading your posts, my gut feeling is you should go with Glasgow: entirely up to you, though! :)

How about working for a living, or dont you want to grow up?;)

Not really, no! :) Being a university lecturer would, I hope, constitute working for a living though. Well, just about, anyway...

Under normal circumstances, I'd probably say yes, but those scrubbers tend to be 15 year old Oompma Loompas with a couple of sprogs in tow. There's also a deceptive lack of things to do in Dundee, except visit the West Gate shopping centre (to do more Loompa spotting) or, erm, go and look at the Discovery.

Anyway, here's The Times' League table to give you an idea.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php

Yay! I had no idea we'd got to number 1! :)

Which one has the higher rated department/is harder to get into? Edinburgh, I'm assuming? Just from reading your posts, my gut feeling is you should go with Glasgow: entirely up to you, though! :)

St Andrews is AABB, Edinburgh BBBB (minimum) and Glasgow is BBBB/AAB.

St Andrews is definitely hardest, then Edinburgh I'd say, then Glasgow. I'll see what other offers I get but I think the decision will be between Edinburgh and Glasgow. I'll look into it properly though.

Not really, no! :) Being a university lecturer would, I hope, constitute working for a living though. Well, just about, anyway...

Aye 18 weeks holiday a year and still basically at school, how can you lecture on anything if you have no real life experience? These lecturers are real well rounded human beings right enough

Patrick Bateman

Appearances can be deceptive. I was once at a rave at a nearby nuclear bunker where numerous people were doing coke off a bar. It was straight out of Fear and Loathing.

You could also encounter the Shinty team who were not only banned from every bar in town, they were forcibly disbanded by the University. Why you ask? For going on tour to Ireland, hiring a car and then doing everything within their power to write it off, costing the University association thousands.

Quiet it ain't!

Aye 18 weeks holiday a year and still basically at school, how can you lecture on anything if you have no real life experience? These lecturers are real well rounded human beings right enough

Lecturers hardly get any holiday at all, wull. Pay is very low, and holiday time is spent researching and writing in order to meet assessment requirements. It's actually pretty thankless - but the one huge plus is you can be your own boss, and teach what you love having studied it for so long. Lecturers are experts in their subject: hence why they lecture on them.

Drag out education for as long as you can.

Full time employment is terrible :(

Plus I always had more cash when I was at uni and if you possess a few brain cells you can scrape passes by attending a fraction of the lectures you should

Good times:p

Lecturers hardly get any holiday at all, wull. Pay is very low, and holiday time is spent researching and writing in order to meet assessment requirements. It's actually pretty thankless - but the one huge plus is you can be your own boss, and teach what you love having studied it for so long. Lecturers are experts in their subject: hence why they lecture on them.

Only playing the devils advocte mate, can I suggest a career as an MP, or even MSP, for even more holidays, shorter hours, better pension scheme, perfect for those who dont want/need to work, all the best if you have the brains to be a lecturer, but shouldn't you have aimed you're degree to where the money is?

Only playing the devils advocte mate, can I suggest a career as an MP, or even MSP, for even more holidays, shorter hours, better pension scheme, perfect for those who dont want/need to work, all the best if you have the brains to be a lecturer, but shouldn't you have aimed you're degree to where the money is?

Out of Interest Wull how old are you and what do you do?

I know you are, mate. :) As for following the money: as a naive, bleeding heart idealist, that was never my style - but I'll probably gravitate towards politics as I get older in all likelihood. Not if it meant I had to sell my soul, though - pompous as I realise that must sound!

Drag out education for as long as you can.

Full time employment is terrible :(

Plus I always had more cash when I was at uni and if you possess a few brain cells you can scrape passes by attending a fraction of the lectures you should

Good times:p

I barely attended any lectures at all, wrote essays the night before the deadline... and found it a piece of ****. Flying by the seat of my pants is the one thing I'm good at! :)

Good to see Napier in at 64.

Unless of course there are only 113 Uni's in the UK...

I'm at Napier, has a fantastic Computing and Business School.

Out of Interest Wull how old are you and what do you do?

None of your business. But my views are that the academic requirements to enter uni are not high enough, the top 5-10% academically should go to uni and this should be compulsary and this should be entirely funded by the state, there should be no option to buy your way in the back door with useless degrees.

None of your business. But my views are that the academic requirements to enter uni are not high enough, the top 5-10% academically should go to uni and this should be compulsary and this should be entirely funded by the state, there should be no option to buy your way in the back door with useless degrees.

I think its very relevant to the debate what you do.

As for the rest of your comment, its very Naive if you think that, most of the folk I know who left with diddy management degrees are now working for call centres on 13k a year.

Maybe in the past it worked but companies no longer pay simply for a degree and look for relevant degrees or very high academic results.

I strolled out of Edinburgh Uni after four cracking years with a degree in american history and literature, broadened horizons and a low level drug habit.

Waltzed into a job down in The City with a top tier consulting firm after a few months of travelling and pinging off job apps.

Bish-bosh.

While I jumped ship after a couple of years because it was interminably dull, I can't say I wake up every morning wishing I'd become the tea-boy at Standard Life.

Just saying, likes.

To the OP - good choice of degree. any of the ancients will see you right, but be sure and move out of your folks if you go to Edinburgh.

If you can, twin history with a foreign language (especially if you're looking to get into journalism). History and economics is a good combination too.

Personally I'd stay away from twinning history and politics -- they're too similar to make it worthwhile.

I think its very relevant to the debate what you do.

As for the rest of your comment, its very Naive if you think that, most of the folk I know who left with diddy management degrees are now working for call centres on 13k a year.

Maybe in the past it worked but companies no longer pay simply for a degree and look for relevant degrees or very high academic results.

Or maybe even ability? Degrees have been devalued due to too many students attaining pointless degrees, and most would be better served by 5 years in the real world of work, my age and occupation are of no relevance to this debate, but a wee clue to my age/era "his name is Drew Busby, the ****** o' the North"

I strolled out of Edinburgh Uni after four cracking years with a degree in american history and literature, broadened horizons and a low level drug habit.

Waltzed into a job down in The City with a top tier consulting firm after a few months of travelling and pinging off job apps.

Bish-bosh.

While I jumped ship after a couple of years because it was interminably dull, I can't say I wake up every morning wishing I'd become the tea-boy at Standard Life.

Just saying, likes.

To the OP - good choice of degree. any of the ancients will see you right, but be sure and move out of your folks if you go to Edinburgh.

If you can, twin history with a foreign language (especially if you're looking to get into journalism). History and economics is a good combination too.

Personally I'd stay away from twinning history and politics -- they're too similar to make it worthwhile.

I rest my case

Or maybe even ability? Degrees have been devalued due to too many students attaining pointless degrees, and most would be better served by 5 years in the real world of work, my age and occupation are of no relevance to this debate, but a wee clue to my age/era "his name is Drew Busby, the ****** o' the North"

It is

It would be interesting to see what you have achieved with experience in comparison to a graduate of the same age or younger.

It is

It would be interesting to see what you have achieved with experience in comparison to a graduate of the same age or younger.

Put it this way I am one of those that graduates would be looking to be employed by. Most are not well rounded human beings when they come into the real world and are basically find it very difficult to adjust to 5 weeks holiday a year and full time employment as well as the self discipline this requires. Good luck to those who can do both, but they are very few and far between in my experience.

Put it this way I am one of those that graduates would be looking to be employed by. Most are not well rounded human beings when they come into the real world and are basically find it very difficult to adjust to 5 weeks holiday a year and full time employment as well as the self discipline this requires. Good luck to those who can do both, but they are very few and far between in my experience.

Of course

I bet a graduate with 4 years less experience would prob be better off than you in the same industry :)

I've certainly had a few of those in my time.

You are a wit or am I just Half Right?

For what it's worth Wull, I partially agree with you. Which is ironic as I'm probably going to end up like Ody, Prancer and Shaun.

Archived