Fifa says Team GB 'poses no risk'

speedbump

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7723932.stm

A British Olympic football team would not jeopardise the international status of the home nations, it is claimed.

Scottish Secretary Jim Murphy has gained assurances from Fifa that a one-off under-23 squad in 2012 would not impact on the home teams' standings.

The football governing bodies of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all oppose a Great Britain team.

Mr Murphy said it was for football people to decide but the SFA said it still saw the idea as a threat.

The Scottish secretary told BBC Scotland he had been seeking assurances over the possibility of a GB international team taking part in the 2012 London Olympics.

He said: "I'm a football fan, I'm a Scotland fan, as well as being the secretary of state and I share the concerns that many people had about the impact it might have on the Scottish national team.

At some point, there is a real danger that a precedent of a Team GB will come back and threaten our status

SFA spokesman

"That's why I met Jerome Valcke, the general secretary of Fifa, yesterday and told him about my concerns and the concerns that many Scots have.

"He confirmed that Fifa, of course who regulate football, that the executive will agree that this one-off under-23 tournament could take place and it will not jeopardise the status of any of the home nations and I think that's very welcome news."

Concerns have been raised that a combined British team could affect the status of individual nations within football's governing body Fifa.

SNP MSP Stuart McMillan, a member of the Scottish Parliament's football team, raised comments made by Fifa president Sepp Blatter in March that a GB team would put into question the privileges that the British associations have been given by the world body.

Mr McMillan said: "This is not a guarantee that the independence of the SFA and the other three national associations in the UK will not be threatened by a single UK football Olympic team.

"It is not in the gift of officials but all members of Fifa who could take away the SFA's independence."

Tournament call

An SFA spokesman also stressed that Fifa is an organisation made up of its members and it is their views which were important.

He added: "We await with interest the outcome of Fifa's deliberations next month but we must be clear on this.

"We will not do anything that we feel would jeopardise our status as a footballing nation in our own right. At this stage, we feel that a Team GB does just that.

"At some point, there is a real danger that a precedent of a Team GB will come back and threaten our status as a separate nation."

Prime Minister Gordon Brown supports the idea of a Team GB and last week Tory leader David Cameron suggested a 2012 London Olympics team could be decided by playing a home nations tournament.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Iam very surprised that the Ugly Sisters and all who support them are not clamouring for a GB team to represent Britain in the 2012 Olympics.

If indeed there is a threat that FIFA would combine the home nations into one team would that not open the door for the Bigots to be involved in the English/British league where they believe they belong ?????

Guest S.U.S.S.

If its up to the members to decide then at ANY POINT they could vote against GB having individual teams, so we may as well go with it.

People are just worried that we wont get any players in it. Small minded bigots who cant see a bigger picture.

would be great exposure for some of the young lads in that team.

Go team GB!

Guest JamboRobbo

Has to be said, team GB is about the gayest name for a team ever. I'd be embarrased to be associated with anything called team GB. :P

Sexton Hardcastle

Scotland down to 33rd in the new rankings just released.

1 Spain

2 Germany

3 Italy

4 Netherlands

5 Brazil

6 Argentina

7 Croatia

8 Russia

9 Czech Republic

10 Portugal

Has to be said, team GB is about the gayest name for a team ever. I'd be embarrased to be associated with anything called team GB. :P

I agree. Team GB sounds so Americanised.

British football team, sound far more dignified.

Guest JamboRobbo
I agree. Team GB sounds so Americanised.

British football team, sound far more dignified.

Pretty certain the term originated in Ireland.

Team Ireland was the first ever to use this name, now everyone else is following. :P

Jeeze, when will they eventually put this idea in the bin where it belongs? 3 out of 4 nations aren't interested and have said so umpteen times. The fans aren't interested either if you go by the polls conducted by tv and radio stations.

How many ways do people have to say 'no'?

I've said this before, but the primary issue is nothing to do with separate teams being threatened. there is not, and never has been, any danger of an organisation which allows Andorra, San Marino etc to compete making the UK compete as aone team.

The big issue for FIFA is voting rights. The four home nations have a permanent seat (and in effect a blocking vote) on the FIFA executive committee, which many countries are unhappy about. If we were to compete as one, pressure would be put on them to lose this and lose their other privileges (granted for being founder members of FIFA).

Having said that, from my understanding of the constitution of FIFA, as long as we have the 4 votes of the home nations, it is impossible for them to do away with this anyway, but that might be wrong.

Pretty certain the term originated in Ireland.

Team Ireland was the first ever to use this name, now everyone else is following. :P

I didn't comment on where it started.

robin hood jambo

Just a thought, but if team GB goes ahead and if then FIFA vote that the SFA lose its independent status would the door be open for the OF to finally feck off to ingerland?

It'll be interesting to see how all the Anti-Team GB bigots will try and justify their stance now.

The thing that annoys me about "Team GB" is that it should really be Team UK.

It'll be interesting to see how all the Anti-Team GB bigots will try and justify their stance now.

Olympic rules Ukraine has dibs on the UK;)

I have no interest in supporting a UK football team. there you go, justified enough for me.

I have no interest in supporting a UK football team. there you go, justified enough for me.

I have no interest in supporting a Scotland team. Should that not be allowed either? That's quite a bigoted thing to say, kiddo. :sad:

Thanks to Speedbump for the info.

I have no interest in supporting a Scotland team. Should that not be allowed either? That's quite a bigoted thing to say, kiddo. :sad:

Not supporting it is allowed, since it exists.

I suppose you'd be all in favour of a team Edinburgh instead of Hearts and Hibs.

Not supporting it is allowed, since it exists.

I suppose you'd be all in favour of a team Edinburgh instead of Hearts and Hibs.

But nothing new is allowed to be started unless it has your approval? Fair enough, I guess. I'll send you a PM before my next haircut.

No, of course I wouldn't. What a strange thing to say. You'd maybe have a point if I was saying that the planet earth should have its own team and play against Mars.

20 posts or thereabout and the word 'bigot' has been mentioned 3 times, and twice by you. People might think you're trying to start a certain kind of argument Makween.

You don't have to be a bigot to be against the idea of Team GB.

But nothing new is allowed to be started unless it has your approval? Fair enough, I guess. I'll send you a PM before my next haircut.

No, of course I wouldn't. What a strange thing to say. You'd maybe have a point if I was saying that the planet earth should have its own team and play against Mars.

aye, that's what I said right enough. Scotland have a football team, which you are perfectly happy not to support, good luck to you. Great Britain doesn't have a team, and I don't want to support one. Did I say there shouldn't be one, nope. I said i wouldn't be supporting them, because I couldn't care less about it.

You're from Edinburgh and a Team Edinburgh would arguably be an improvement over two teams from the same area. It's the same argument to me.

20 posts or thereabout and the word 'bigot' has been mentioned 3 times, and twice by you. People might think you're trying to start a certain kind of argument Makween.

I have never tried to start an argument on Kickback, I'm not like that.

I don't see any particular other reason to be against it now that FIFA have made their stance clear. Why shouldn't football be brought in line with every other Olympic sport?

Edit to add : Bigot bigot bigot.

As soon as I saw Makween's alias as last poster I knew this thread was going down a certain route. He has a rod, with a worm attached to the end. You do have a certain agenda Makween.

Guest Dipped Flake

Can we not just add this to the other thousands of threads on team gb and let our unionist brethren sailvate over having the longest thread in jkb history. As per the vast majority of football supporters in Scotland I have absolutely no interest in a team gb football team.

I have never tried to start an argument on Kickback, I'm not like that.

I don't see any particular other reason to be against it now that FIFA have made their stance clear. Why shouldn't football be brought in line with every other Olympic sport?

Edit to add : Bigot bigot bigot.

Because each association has replied and said they'd rather not, and very few people are interested. That's why.

It's not a popular idea, does there need to be any other reason?

Your home planet?

:hae52:

I think Makween that many people are against the idea of a GB football team at the Olympics because it opens the door the possibility of GB football team full stop. Once you get on that slide its difficult to prevent going down it.

I also think that given your views on all things regarding Britain and Britishness many people believe that you do indeed have an agenda where this particular debate is concerned.

Not having a go, just my perception of things.

Can we not just add this to the other thousands of threads on team gb and let our unionist brethren sailvate over having the longest thread in jkb history. As per the vast majority of football supporters in Scotland I have absolutely no interest in a team gb football team.

In fact, the mods should just create a new "Unionist Drivel" topic, shunt all the Team GB / Tartan Army Biggots (sic) / James MhCcarthy / How Much I Hate The Tims crud in there, and let them get on with it. And leave the rest of us to talk about Hearts.

I for one have no objections to a team GB, as long as the SFA tell any selected Scots who choose to play in it that they can thereafter play for no other country.

I think Makween that many people are against the idea of a GB football team at the Olympics because it opens the door the possibility of GB football team full stop. Once you get on that slide its difficult to prevent going down it.

I don't agree with that - I think the main reason that the idea of a Team GB footie team is because it would be seen as largely English and would more than likely be made up from English players and this is unacceptable in the eyes of most Scots, Welsh and Irish. I don't see that as bigoted but just the way the average football fan feels.

And I also doubt the Home nations could ever be forced to become one and don't see it as a threat - for one thing, not one of the nations has ever expressed an interest in this happening and until then it is not an issue.

IMO, I don't support sending ANY team to the Olympics football because none of the players treat it with respect (i.e. don't get paid enough) so it's a joke.

I don't agree with that - I think the main reason that the idea of a Team GB footie team is because it would be seen as largely English and would more than likely be made up from English players and this is unacceptable in the eyes of most Scots, Welsh and Irish.

Aye there is that too, I was going to go back and edit that in but left it.

Tbh, I myself am neither here nor there with the idea of an olympic british football team, i couldnt care less. As long as FIFA stuck to their pledge of course.

What exactly does this change?

Really, unless FIFA have asked every single nation in their group for their opinion this means nothing.

As pointed out earlier, the people who decide don't want it so it won't be happening. That's life sometimes.

IMO, I don't support sending ANY team to the Olympics football because none of the players treat it with respect (i.e. don't get paid enough) so it's a joke.

It's not just the players.

The rules of the competition allow you to select Under 23s plus 3 overage "guest stars"

The idea being that these will be "name" players that will help the Olympic city to market the tournament.

In actual fact many teams don't even bother using their entitlement to overage players.

The host nation not being represent at London 2012 might devalue the tournament but you get the impression that it would suit FIFA fine.

The modern Olympic football tournament is purposely flawed because FIFA don't want a competitor to the real World Cup and UEFA certainly aren't interested in a major tournament competing with it's own in leap years.

It's a second ratefootball tournament and by touring it around the host country keeping the competitors away from the Olympic village it's rendered a second rate Olympic competition as well.

It could be different.

The next two biggest international team sports with established World Cups are Cricket and Rugby Union.

Both are knocking on the door of the Olympics but both propose to stage an abbreviated version of the game: Seven a side Rugby and 20/20 cricket.

What FIFA should do is stage a global version of the Tennents Sixes and Play the entire tournament over a weekend. Free up space in the calendar so that the worlds best players will be available and the tournament can take briefly centre stage in World Football.

This wouldn't be a substitute for the World Cup but it would feature the best players from around the world competing for medals which is what the Olympics should be about.

Thig Ar Latha

This wouldn't be a substitute for the World Cup but it would feature the best players from around the world competing for medals which is what the Olympics should be about.

This would also clash with the Expanded European Championships as well as being in the same year as the African Chapmionships. A big ask for Players.

Ah, a thread really isn't a thread unless Makween is on with his wee sad face smilies and chucking the old word 'bigot' round with the odd 'didn't know I had to check with you kiddo' chatter.

At least he's consistant (sad face smilie right here).

All for the tournament, bit of footballing fun and the winner takes the spot at the Olympics. Anybody not backing that is a bigot. And you all know who you are (sad face right here again).

Yes, I'm sure Chris Hoy is utterly embarrassed and wishes he could hand his medals back....:o

Why can't the anti-TeamGB brigade just admit they're small-minded anti-English racists and be done with it? At least they'd be speaking the truth for once.

Patrick Bateman

Why can't the anti-TeamGB brigade just admit they're small-minded anti-English racists and be done with it? At least they'd be speaking the truth for once.

What if the anti-Team GB brigade included English people, who would their prejudices be against?

What if the anti-Team GB brigade included English people, who would their prejudices be against?

That's irrelevant as the English FA is quite happy with the concept. :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't think TeamGB is a threat to Scotland.

But if it turned out to be, I wouldn't shed any tears over the demise of the embarrassing shambles that is the Scottish international football team or the jobs-for-the-boys mutual appreciation society that is the SFA.

Drylaw Hearts
Yes, I'm sure Chris Hoy is utterly embarrassed and wishes he could hand his medals back....:o

Would you want a 'Team Edinburgh' to play in some sort of British Cup ?

Like it or not....

Many on here see the English Football Team as our rivals and we really have no interest in joining forces with them to play in any competition.

Much like I wouldn't have any interest in Hearts and Hibs joining forces to play in a competition.

This would also clash with the Expanded European Championships as well as being in the same year as the African Chapmionships. A big ask for Players.

But it's only one weekend.

Would you want a 'Team Edinburgh' to play in some sort of British Cup ?

Yet more irrelevance. As you well know there is no current or proposed tournament that would require this.

On the other hand, at least you've had the guts to admit the naysayers are driven by anti-English feeling.

That's irrelevant as the English FA is quite happy with the concept. :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't think TeamGB is a threat to Scotland.

But if it turned out to be, I wouldn't shed any tears over the demise of the embarrassing shambles that is the Scottish international football team or the jobs-for-the-boys mutual appreciation society that is the SFA.

An admission which rather suggests you're motivated by anti-Scottish sentiment, Therapist.

An admission which rather suggests you're motivated by anti-Scottish sentiment, Therapist.

Incorrect. I'm anti-SFA, not anti-Scottish.

You'd be better doing odd-jobs to save the money for our bet rather than wasting time posting on here.

I dont think there any point in scotland joining up for a GB Team as most of our players wouldnt get a game.. Only player I could see getting a game would be craig gordon.. It would just be pointless so they should just forget about it..

...I don't see any particular other reason to be against it now that FIFA have made their stance clear....

..."That's why I [Jim Murphy] met Jerome Valcke, the general secretary of Fifa, yesterday and told him about my concerns and the concerns that many Scots have.

"He confirmed that Fifa, of course who regulate football, that the executive will agree that this one-off under-23 tournament could take place and it will not jeopardise the status of any of the home nations and I think that's very welcome news."...

...MSP Stuart McMillan, a member of the Scottish Parliament's football team, raised comments made by Fifa president Sepp Blatter in March that a GB team would put into question the privileges that the British associations have been given by the world body.

Mr McMillan said: "This is not a guarantee that the independence of the SFA and the other three national associations in the UK will not be threatened by a single UK football Olympic team...

You think that FIFA have made their stance clear?

It's as clear as mud.

You've got a strange sense of clearness. Kiddo

Archived