Recession survival strategies

Coco

Anyone taking any big steps:

- going from 2 to 1 or 1 to nil car households

- Nescafe in the house rather than a Starbucks on the way to work

- cheap Christmas presents year

Anyone doing anything interesting - 'to take us through this downturn, which started in America and is a global problem'?

We are a no car family so no impact there.

Only debt is our mortgage, which is relatively small, however I have started making my own tea/coffee at work as the Starbucks at my work is extortionate and the canteen isn't that far behind.

I used to spend roughly a fiver a day on tea/coffee so that's a ?25 saving p.w. which equates to ?1300 p.a.

I want to get a new TV but the Missus (the real financial genius at Casa Boris) says to hold off until after Xmas for a better deal...

Era Macaroons
Anyone taking any big steps:

- going from 2 to 1 or 1 to nil car households

- Nescafe in the house rather than a Starbucks on the way to work

- cheap Christmas presents year

Anyone doing anything interesting - 'to take us through this downturn, which started in America and is a global problem'?

sacked a member of staff

only have 1 pie at 1/2 time instead of 2

buy loads of cheap booze from the supermarket instead of the pub

got sky + instead of renting DVDs

cook more meals/less takeaways

stopped talking the misses out and told her to stop wasting money on pap.

PM for further financial advice

Era Macaroons
We are a no car family so no impact there.

Only debt is our mortgage, which is relatively small, however I have started making my own tea/coffee at work as the Starbucks at my work is extortionate and the canteen isn't that far behind.

I used to spend roughly a fiver a day on tea/coffee so that's a ?25 saving p.w. which equates to ?1300 p.a.

I want to get a new TV but the Missus (the real financial genius at Casa Boris) says to hold off until after Xmas for a better deal...

:eek: ?5 a day on tea/coffee is ridiculous

I thought going to Starbucks would be contrary to your beliefs in the first place? :eek:

try pixmania.com for telly....gave us a good deal a few months ago

:eek: ?5 a day on tea/coffee is ridiculous

I thought going to Starbucks would be contrary to your beliefs in the first place? :eek:

try pixmania.com for telly....gave us a good deal a few months ago

No choice in the matter - there are only two outlets at my work and they gave one over to Starbucks. Same staff as previous though and it takes about 4 hours for them to make one mega-mocha-choco for the surprisingly affluent students...

Pah!

Anyway, it's all worked out for the best...

Will look at pixmania.

This week, I am drinking my own urine, usually after the weekend I find that it tastes like **** water beer anyway, then just the weekend to look forward too and start again.:P

Era Macaroons
No choice in the matter - there are only two outlets at my work and they gave one over to Starbucks. Same staff as previous though and it takes about 4 hours for them to make one mega-mocha-choco for the surprisingly affluent students...

Pah!

Will look at pixmania.

They gave one over to starbucks !!!!!!!!!!

Is there not something just 'wrong' about colleges/unis allowing this type of concept.

corrupt em while they are young......1000's of kids being educated into the Starbucks concept...do they all go home and leave their taps running? :P

I upped the rent on my flat

Only 2 nights out a week maximum

Takeaways on a sunday only

Forged a young persons railcard and a student card

Only 2 items of clothing a month or 1 if its >?60

Download all computer games/dvds and cds

Using the works mobile as my own now

Seems to be making a tiny difference.....

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I have enough work to keep all my staff going until Christmas Eve then they can all enjoy an extended Christmas break until they all find another job.

Harsh but fair.

Say What Again

Absolutely no changes to anything I do and, unless my work goes under and I lose my job, I have no intentions of making any.

I have started fishing down at Grunton Harbour of the Breakwater, so i have fish on a Tuesday and a Thursday.

Its free food.:P

I work beside a hobo, who told me he has been taking one toilet roll per week from work home this has saved him buying bog roll, his missus has been lifting the free nappies from tescos baby changing rooms.

He has restricted his weekly shoping budget to 30 quid a week, so he is mainly living of baked beans, toast, with the odd treat from the Whoopee section where the food is almost out of date.

He has also sold his tv, so he saved the licence fee, he says the radio is fine for his needs.

After all this saving he is still a miserable greetin faced git, some people are never happy.:107years:

I've applied for an allotment.

Good idea. Entertainment, exercise, health improvements, cheaper food and tastier food all rolled up into one.

Dig for Victory ...

Say What Again
He has restricted his weekly shoping budget to 30 quid a week, so he is mainly living of baked beans, toast, with the odd treat from the Whoopee section where the food is almost out of date.

He's winding you up. He could eat very well on a budget of ?30 a week - comfortably!

A good few years ago a mate of mine was going through a bit of a hard time and DID live on beans on toast for a few weeks. I reckon it cost him about ?3 per week. 7 tins of 'savers' beans and 2 loafs of 'savers' bread.

?30 is a very reasonable shopping budget per week.

Nothing. Although after saving money to pay for my holiday I have began to put a wee bit away each pay day. Next year will be a very expensive time with 6th year leavers doo. T in the Park and a 2 week holiday.

Turn 18 in january so a pay rise will be very welcomed.

Pah!

Will look at pixmania.

They have a Starbucks at uni now?!?

Nothing. Although after saving money to pay for my holiday I have began to put a wee bit away each pay day. Next year will be a very expensive time with 6th year leavers doo. T in the Park and a 2 week holiday.

Turn 18 in january so a pay rise will be very welcomed.

You live with your folks surely?

He's winding you up. He could eat very well on a budget of ?30 a week - comfortably!

A good few years ago a mate of mine was going through a bit of a hard time and DID live on beans on toast for a few weeks. I reckon it cost him about ?3 per week. 7 tins of 'savers' beans and 2 loafs of 'savers' bread.

?30 is a very reasonable shopping budget per week.

He has a wife and 2 bairns to keep of the 30 quid budget.:eek:

Say What Again
He has a wife and 2 bairns to keep of the 30 quid budget.:eek:

Not such a big budget then!

Mind you, with 4 folk eating beans every day, he might save on the gas bills too :P

Guest juvehearts

ive stopped getting the bus intae work & walk now, saving of ?2.20 each day

i turn the light's off & shut down the PC every night, plus only do a superwash sunday (well i say I do its the wife)

moan at everything to save on the heating bill.

Ive even started looking out for beer deals now when i'd just stroll into a shop & pick some up.

I changed the meeting up time to 12:00 - 12:30 on saturday matchday's!

i get the cheepo cerial from lidl instead of kellogs.

ive started to use nescafe brazilla instead of going to makro for the BIG tin every 3 months.

I even applied for overtime at work!

still getting nothing tho :(

Sexton Hardcastle
How the Fek does you, stopping licking your dog, save you money?? :cool:

You mite want to re word that.

But me wasting less = me spending less.

Capiche?

I bought Sainsbury own Baked Beans this week. 2 tins were 86p whereas Heinz would have been ?1.30

When I was at Uni there was a "baked beans" war - you could get a tin of store own beans for 6p. My weekly shop cost about a fiver. 6 tins of beans, own store loaf of white bread (19p), 2 bags of own store pasta (22p each), 4 tins tomatoes, 3 onions, garlic, block of cheese, some tinnies.

Beans on toast for lunch, tomato pasta for tea, and loads of extra money for booze - done.

This was 15 years ago though....:(

I bought Sainsbury own Baked Beans this week. 2 tins were 86p whereas Heinz would have been ?1.30

When I was at Uni there was a "baked beans" war - you could get a tin of store own beans for 6p. My weekly shop cost about a fiver. 6 tins of beans, own store loaf of white bread (19p), 2 bags of own store pasta (22p each), 4 tins tomatoes, 3 onions, garlic, block of cheese, some tinnies.

Beans on toast for lunch, tomato pasta for tea, and loads of extra money for booze - done.

This was 15 years ago though....:(

How times have changed

I have rationed petrol usage to 1 tank per month, once its gone i wait till next month and get the bus.:Hearts Man spotrun:

I have rationed petrol usage to 1 tank per month, once its gone i wait till next month and get the bus.:Hearts Man spotrun:

Fantastic :rofl:

What I tend to do, to save petrol is don't use the car on un-necessary short journies. I also put my foot down on the clutch whist going down hills and approaching lights (not that you're really meant to do that!) but apparently it saves petrol!

sacked a member of staff

only have 1 pie at 1/2 time instead of 2

buy loads of cheap booze from the supermarket instead of the pub

got sky + instead of renting DVDs

cook more meals/less takeaways

stopped talking the misses out and told her to stop wasting money on pap.

PM for further financial advice

And you didnt buy a round in the Oak on sunday;)

Brian Whittaker's Tache
How the Fek does you, stopping licking your dog, save you money?? :cool:

I just spat out my dinner!!

Drink more, go on more holidays, enjoy life now, because it could be S H I T E tomorrow

Thats the spirit live for today bollocks to tomorrow, however i choose not to choose this attitude, i have decided to get a power card meter fitted in my house.

This will encourage me to put all the lights out at night and save some dosh.:P

I just spat out my dinner!!

Hope it wasn't the Dugs!!

Paddy didnae seem to get it!! Were's the Whooooosh, Over their Heid smilie??

Era Macaroons
And you didnt buy a round in the Oak on sunday;)

ah yes add that to the list....

Dodge my round in pubs

also, only take out 4 fags, crash 2 to the guy with full 20 deck and 'hey presto' free fags for rest of day.

and make sure you have 'nae change' for the bus before leaving pub and bingo, free bus fares appear;)

Art Vanderlay

I got a bread machine off my sister before the credit crunch hit.

Plain sailing with 30p loaves. Don't keep well but.

I asked hubby for a wage rise. Got one so asked Daddy for one too. Got another one. Sorted. No recession when I come home and I still expect lots and lots of expensive presents for Chrimbo.

On a serious note

I switch off all the electrical goods in the house at night except the Fridge.

Washing Machine, Oven, TV, Computer - everything is off at the wall. No mobile phone charging overnight. I think this is saving me about ?20 - ?30 a month for doing nothing.

Also, being self employed, I am thinking of taking on another project for some extra cash!

A Cunning plan i came up with and its cheap and easy to do, i fixed a small piece of wood under the accelerator pedal of my car.

This means when i put my foot down my maximum speed i can achieve is 40 mph, you would be amazed how much fuel you save by keeping your foot of the gas.

i reckon i now get around 65 miles per gallon.:)

Fantastic :rofl:

What I tend to do, to save petrol is don't use the car on un-necessary short journies. I also put my foot down on the clutch whist going down hills and approaching lights (not that you're really meant to do that!) but apparently it saves petrol!

Got that all wrong mate.just leave the car in gear and lift your foot off the pedal,the engine uses a fraction of what it would do by doing what you are doing

On a serious note

I switch off all the electrical goods in the house at night except the Fridge.

Washing Machine, Oven, TV, Computer - everything is off at the wall. No mobile phone charging overnight. I think this is saving me about ?20 - ?30 a month for doing nothing.

Also, being self employed, I am thinking of taking on another project for some extra cash!

I may be mistaken,but have you not only been self

employed for about ten days?

Archived