Shell Garages

EuanD

Posting this form another forum I use, Im glad I dont use said garages very often

Got a phone call the other day from the iris fraud department, apparently there was 3 transactions been declined on my card from australia ???? after a fair while in the bank it turns out that the shell garage at the maybury in my case is under investigation for selling on peoples card details? i have been lucky as no money has been lost but now i have to go to the bank today for a 45 min appointment to change all my account and check all my transactions fecking great fun... this has apperantly been happening to alot of people form that particular garage so if you use that garage check your bank to see all the money spent is actually your doing if all is correct and i would not use ur card again in there certanly until this investigation is over... bank wanted the word to spread about it so if you know anyone who uses it let them know too

Posting this form another forum I use, Im glad I dont use said garages very often

It happens in a lot of garages, mainly because they use high levels of casual staff who are unsupervised a lot of the time - especially at nights

same thing happened at the filling station in bruntsfield a while back.

by rights there should be more pressure put on companies of this nature to do their utmost to ensure that reliable, trustworthy staff are employed. it's so open to abuse it's not real.

all part of the british culture of employing casual staff / agency workers and the like.

The Old Tolbooth

Crikey, that's bloody scary stuff, I use a Shell garage along the road from me all the time and always put it on maestro, although I've just checked my account and cant see anything untoward on it.

Certainly makes you think though :wacko:

There's also been an investigation into similar cases at the Shell Garage in Mayfield, Midlothian.

It happened there to a guy at my auld mans work. Also happened at the Shell Garage just of fthe City Bypass.

Is it always Shell garages?

Carl Spackler

It could happen anywhere really. You'd like to think most places would take out the first 12 digits of any card number on the till roll thus making memorising data difficult for any individual.

Think about when you buy something using telesales though.

How often do you buy something over the phone and confirm delivery address and billing address are the same thing, the name on the card, the card number, the type of card, the start and end dates and the wee security number on the back?

The person at the other end could be jotting all that down.

When you think about it, based on the assumption that only a limited number of high level trusted staff would be able to access sensitive transaction data, using reputable retailers over the internet is probably more secure than anything else as individuals should have very limited ability to to defraud.

Stuff all use for your petrol or your messages though.

It could happen anywhere really. You'd like to think most places would take out the first 12 digits of any card number on the till roll thus making memorising data difficult for any individual.

Think about when you buy something using telesales though.

How often do you buy something over the phone and confirm delivery address and billing address are the same thing, the name on the card, the card number, the type of card, the start and end dates and the wee security number on the back?

The person at the other end could be jotting all that down.

When you think about it, based on the assumption that only a limited number of high level trusted staff would be able to access sensitive transaction data, using reputable retailers over the internet is probably more secure than anything else as individuals should have very limited ability to to defraud.

Stuff all use for your petrol or your messages though.

You could do online shopping with Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys though.

My work Visa card was "done" when i was out in London last year i only used it in one place and its been under investigation for two years i was shocked since i was in The Ritz! it's everywhere now i only use cash.

This happened at the Craigleith Shell garage as well apparently hundreds caught out with the scam. Most of the staff there are from eastern Europe or Asian, and unfortunately this seems to be a recurring theme with this sort of crime according to my police contact.

Happened to me twice in the BP garage on Slateford Road a couple of years ago.

Got the money back both times from my credit card company but was well pished off at the time.

Can anyone explain if it is better to use a credit card for buying stuff rather than a debit card? i have heard it is easier to get your money back?

Can anyone explain if it is better to use a credit card for buying stuff rather than a debit card? i have heard it is easier to get your money back?

Because , as you pay via the credit card, it is the credit card company that legally makes the payment and therefore takes the risk. Credit card companies do not like this , obviously , and have been trying for years to get this overturned.

If you use a debit card you are taking the risk because the cash is deducted directly from your bank account.

This happened at the Craigleith Shell garage as well apparently hundreds caught out with the scam. Most of the staff there are from eastern Europe or Asian, and unfortunately this seems to be a recurring theme with this sort of crime according to my police contact.

Well done for being the first person to point this out. It was my first thought.

Serious question: IF they're so poor at home how do they get the money to buy a garage franchise? The amount they pay for these businesses must be a small fortune where they come from!

Here's my conspiracy theory...Could it be that there are big organised crime figures behind their arrival here? It would certainly explain a few things like their knowledge of who to sell this info to.

Their choice of something like a 24hr garage is perfect. After all, a lot of people just stick their fuel on their card and forget about it. There aren't many British owned garages these days and none of them open all night.

Archived