Casuals - rose tinted glasses

wibble

T.I.M.S.(not the best acronym is it?)

Good reply mate, glad you could see that the parka was out of the ballpark as far as price was concerned.

I'm and old fart these days, so the kids and the mortgage use all my spare cash, so no way am I buying top of the range gear. It's jeans and t-shirts for me, always has been really. Try to buy the best I can, but can't see past a pair of Levis and a Fred Perry, or just good quality plain coloured T-shirts. Trainers are usually Adidas.

As you can probably tell from my posts I tend to be on the wind-up a bit, but overall I mean what I say.

A mod-revival is naff - plain and simply because it's a revival and the one I remember was especially naff. Nearly every Mod at our school was a sad Hibby git. I can;t remember there being any of the Hearts boys involved.

Many of these lads then became casuals and their dress sense dropped even further off the map. Pringles and burberry socks have never been a good look in my book.

Also the casuals of old (the scousers) stole expensive gear and wore it as a "trophy". The more garrish the better. You see the same with gangsta rappers and their bling. Both groups are thieving tossers and the people who emulate them with their fake label gear etc are the chavs who are wrecking the social fabric of Britain.

I think most people of about 35-45 will tell you that Britain has gone down the crapper as far as peoples attitudes and behaviour are concerned. This is because people have become insanely selfish. The casual movement epitomised this attitude.

I have a strong dislike for greedy bar stewards who steal or deal and then run around in hundreds of quids worth of gear. The casual movement was created by these sorts of people and was followed by people shallow enough to think that these selfish *****s were worth emulating.

Punk, which as someone said, was on it's last legs when casuals appeared was a completely different sub-culture. Punk meant that people could make their own clothes, cut and dye their own hair and make and sell their own music. Punk changed the music scene permanently with the introduction if independent labels etc and huge swathes of British pop culture contain direct references to the Punk movement. Punk was all about being original, it was anti-establishment and anti-greed, it had a great set of ideals and punks generally looked after each other.

Oh, and for me it's a day at the races in the Alan Partridge blazer and slacks.

You might want to watch this program on BBCiplayer mate - British Style Genius: Loud and Proud - The Street Look

But it's only available until 9.59pm tonight.

It was on BBC2 last week, well worth a watch.

Like the avatar btw, one of my favourite films.

"While we were doing it she tried to stick her finger up my bum. What have you got to think of a woman who'd do that"?

"Nice eyes Dee Dee. They real"?

Agreed. Since it happened, I reckon the casual movement went a long way towards influencing the attitude blokes took towards clothing and fashion. I'm not saying that if it'd never happened, all geezers would be happy to plod about in 'Tesco Value' jeans or whatever, I just think that it definitely played it's part.

Next time I'm buying a pair of jeans I'll look back and think that those 3 weeks in hospital and 3 months off work was all worth it.

It's just sad that people like you think like this.

I hate to be a pedant - no, really - but the hairstyle you're referring is more correctly termed a Huron.

Try going into the barbers and asking for a Huron, the Mohichan tag that was applied to the style incorrectly has surely entered popular culture as the name given to that cut and in fact there has never been a huron cut:).

On topic however as someone who has followed the JT's for nearly 40 years to be honest I found them to be just part of another gang culture as the teds, the mods ,the punks and rockers were before them and as such to claim any individuality is pure colin nish, to be part of a gang is about sense of belonging to be part of a culture, this one about clothes( in my day we would have considered a bit poofy )still each to his own.

what I would like to know is what is the current gang/group/movement of choice.

goths emos neo casuals

Sawdust Caesar

Punk was all about being original, it was anti-establishment and anti-greed, it had a great set of ideals and punks generally looked after each other./QUOTE]

It was maybe original for the ones that hung around the King's Road in '76 but as far as all the rest are concerned they just jumped on the bandwagon (admittedly I did the same with the mod thing, well actually I got into it when it was all but dead). Every punk I saw in Edinburgh was the same as the every punk I saw in Glasgow or wherever. By 78/79 there was nothing original about bondage trousers, Mohicans/Hurons or whatever spikey, dyed hairstyle they sported. As for great set of ideals, does that include beating up other people for dressing differently from them?

this_is_my_story
T.I.M.S.(not the best acronym is it?)

Good reply mate, glad you could see that the parka was out of the ballpark as far as price was concerned.

I'm and old fart these days, so the kids and the mortgage use all my spare cash, so no way am I buying top of the range gear. It's jeans and t-shirts for me, always has been really. Try to buy the best I can, but can't see past a pair of Levis and a Fred Perry, or just good quality plain coloured T-shirts. Trainers are usually Adidas.

As you can probably tell from my posts I tend to be on the wind-up a bit, but overall I mean what I say.

A mod-revival is naff - plain and simply because it's a revival and the one I remember was especially naff. Nearly every Mod at our school was a sad Hibby git. I can;t remember there being any of the Hearts boys involved.

Many of these lads then became casuals and their dress sense dropped even further off the map. Pringles and burberry socks have never been a good look in my book.

Also the casuals of old (the scousers) stole expensive gear and wore it as a "trophy". The more garrish the better. You see the same with gangsta rappers and their bling. Both groups are thieving tossers and the people who emulate them with their fake label gear etc are the chavs who are wrecking the social fabric of Britain.

I think most people of about 35-45 will tell you that Britain has gone down the crapper as far as peoples attitudes and behaviour are concerned. This is because people have become insanely selfish. The casual movement epitomised this attitude.

I have a strong dislike for greedy bar stewards who steal or deal and then run around in hundreds of quids worth of gear. The casual movement was created by these sorts of people and was followed by people shallow enough to think that these selfish *****s were worth emulating.

Punk, which as someone said, was on it's last legs when casuals appeared was a completely different sub-culture. Punk meant that people could make their own clothes, cut and dye their own hair and make and sell their own music. Punk changed the music scene permanently with the introduction if independent labels etc and huge swathes of British pop culture contain direct references to the Punk movement. Punk was all about being original, it was anti-establishment and anti-greed, it had a great set of ideals and punks generally looked after each other.

Oh, and for me it's a day at the races in the Alan Partridge blazer and slacks.

Some interesting points MJ, but I reckon we both know that there have been more influential factors than chavs which have wrecked the social fabric of Britain! Not sure if I'd agree wholeheartedly with your assessment that the casual movement epitomised the whole 'me, me, me' attitude though.

I think you're right about the scousers though, from what I've picked up over the years it seems that a lot of the original casual trends started when Liverpool fans (late 70's, early 80's) basically looted stores selling designer gear when they were on away trips in Europe, and wore it on the terraces back in England. You can take the boy out of Liverpool... :P

this_is_my_story
Next time I'm buying a pair of jeans I'll look back and think that those 3 weeks in hospital and 3 months off work was all worth it.

It's just sad that people like you think like this.

Casper, I've already stated in the thread that I would in no way judge, or look down on someone purely because of the way they choose to dress. I was merely trying to make a point regarding the casual influence on male dress sense in this country.

Hope you get well soon! :)

Archived