Were Celtic right or wrong to do the minutes aplause?

Goose Baxter

Should Celtic have conducted a minutes aplause for yesterdays game?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should Celtic have conducted a minutes aplause for yesterdays game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

My point exactly - The Celtic top brass knew that their fans couldn't behave - that's why they chose the minute's applause over the minute's silence - damage limitation!

Did anyone else just do the minute's silence? I did.

You totally miss the point. You have the club and you have the fans.

The club should have done the right thing and announced they would be holding a minute's silence. The fans were always going to be in the wrong regardless.

The club now look like they were just trying to cover things up, sweep it under the carpet.

I would say they were correct,they were obviously trying to avoid any kind of embarrassment to their club.

If Hearts had the option of having a minutes silence at Tynecastle for ,say the death of a pope,knowing full well that there would be a protest,or a minutes applause,I would think that they would pick the later as well.

It's still quite sickening that people can't hold any kind of respectfull silence for anyone, without morons turning it into a shambles.

FFS when the Queen mother died there was a minutes silence at the grand national(I'm sure it was that race meeting) when there was thousands of Rep of Ireland citizens there,everyone respected that silence.

aAso remember a year back God save the Queen was played a Croke park,the stronghold for the republican movement,at a rugby game,no booing or anything like a protest was heard.

Only in football,only in football.

Only at Celtic. Only at Celtic.

I haven't been to Parkhead in over 20 years (apart from 98 cup final) after my mate was threatened with arrest because he complained to the police about the sale of IRA literature outside the stadium.

20 years later , I'm not in the least bit surprised at their actions now.

FFS when the Queen mother died there was a minutes silence at the grand national(I'm sure it was that race meeting) when there was thousands of Rep of Ireland citizens there,everyone respected that silence.

aAso remember a year back God save the Queen was played a Croke park,the stronghold for the republican movement,at a rugby game,no booing or anything like a protest was heard.

Only in football,only in football.

IMO - Irish people I know (i.e. who live in, or are from the Republic of ireland) are much less hung-up by the whole Republican thing than the political historians from the East end of Glasgow

For over 50 years we have held a minutes silence for this,so why did the SFA allow them to get away with their minutes applause?

When the Pope died the Sfa knew there was going to be booing but we wer'nt given the choice of an applause or silence,we were told it was o be silence

So IMO the SFA pandered to them yet again

I think the pertinent question is: Would they have a minute's applause for the death of a Pope? Somehow I doubt they would...

From the Sunday Herald...

http://www.sundayherald.com/sport/shfootball/display.var.2466685.0.0.php

"There was a minute's applause ahead of Rememberance Sunday rather than a silence, which was explained over the public address system as now being "the Celtic way" for such events, while there was a walk-out protest against "British Imperialism" by around 50 Irish-based Celtic supporters"

"The Celtic way".... uh-huh? Nice of them to decide how these things should be done.

Clearly, the rest of the UK has been getting it wrong all these years.

What choice did motherwell have in this?

I havent seen any TV coverage so I can only assume they were made to follow the applause??

If we were playing at PArkhead there could easily have been trouble if we were told to follow an applause rather than the silence. And all the negatives in that case would have been about us.

The GFA have gave in to protect Celtic and protect the self claimed best fans.

So why don't Celtic go and play in the Irish League, Rangers go and play in League 1 down south and we're all happy?

Given the events of the last few days, how on earth have they got the cheek to complain about that famine song?

Tiberius Stinkfinger

If Celtic wanted to relieve itself of the problem it allegedly wants to rid itself off then yesterday would have been an easy way of showing its support that the world has moved on and that their bigoted fans where no longer welcome.

If they had invited their so-called protesting fans to leave the stadium had they not agreed with the minutes silence and then banned them for life on the spot.

By protesting,the bigots would have openly admitted to the fact that it is not the football that they attend matches to view.

The question should be....

"does Celtic WANT to rid itself of this evil"

Brick Tamland

Celtic have spooned this completely over the bar and each and everyone of them should be ashamed and appalled at their decision to applause. They have embarrassed and shamed themselves in front of the world. There is no excuse.

If everybody else in Britain over the last 50 years can stand in silence for 1 minute and consider and reflect upon the sacrifices made by so many men then those vile disgusting bigotted mod deletes should have too. This is the way of our country and if they don't like it they should bug*er of back over the water and get out of this country for good, rather than stay here and let their festering cancerous ways eat in to our society.

Filth every one of them.

Brick Tamland
If Celtic wanted to relieve itself of the problem it allegedly wants to rid itself off then yesterday would have been an easy way of showing its support that the world has moved on and that their bigoted fans where no longer welcome.

If they had invited their so-called protesting fans to leave the stadium had they not agreed with the minutes silence and then banned them for life on the spot.

By protesting,the bigots would have openly admitted to the fact that it is not the football that they attend matches to view.

The question should be....

"does Celtic WANT to rid itself of this evil"

No it is a nice little money earner.

I am sure they can get the names and addresses of those who did leave but will they... not a chance.

To be honest what disgusted me most was Celtic's attitude to the whole thing.

One can almost allow for the ignorance of supporters who have been brought up badly, but there non response to the whole issue of a minutes silence spoke volumes about them as a club.

I was also annoyed that no-one on Sky sports mentioned "as ALL clubs/games in the UK this weekend there is a minutes silence....APART from Celtic"!

This should be on front pages. A disgrace. A club which is still steeped in bigotry and hatred and ignorance.

Brick Tamland
To be honest what disgusted me most was Celtic's attitude to the whole thing.

One can almost allow for the ignorance of supporters who have been brought up badly, but there non response to the whole issue of a minutes silence spoke volumes about them as a club.

I was also annoyed that no-one on Sky sports mentioned "as ALL clubs/games in the UK this weekend there is a minutes silence....APART from Celtic"!

This should be on front pages. A disgrace. A club which is still steeped in bigotry and hatred and ignorance.

100% correct

Johanes de Silentio
You totally miss the point. You have the club and you have the fans.

The club should have done the right thing and announced they would be holding a minute's silence. The fans were always going to be in the wrong regardless.

The club now look like they were just trying to cover things up, sweep it under the carpet.

No.

Sorry, but the point is that Glasgow Celtic (fans and club)should have observed a minute's silence - but they didn't - the Celtic board knew only too well that many of their fans would not have behaved in a civilized manner.

The club were trying to sweep it under the carpet - the fans were in the wrong and the club were in the wrong - the people on the board at Celtic are fans as well!

This whole shameful incident is entirely of Glasgow Celtic's own making, but do you know what? They'll get away with it - they always do!

The people of Britain have decided that the traditional way of paying their respects to those who died so that we could live is to observe a minute's silence - Glasgow Celtic have decided that that particular tradition does not apply to them...and we all know why!

Archived