Were Celtic right or wrong to do the minutes aplause?

Goose Baxter

Should Celtic have conducted a minutes aplause for yesterdays game?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should Celtic have conducted a minutes aplause for yesterdays game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

On the real radio thread there seems to be mixed opinions on Celtic doing the minutes aplause during yesterdays game.

This is a simple poll, Should Celtic have held a minutes silence or a minutes aplause for those who lost there lives during the great war?

Right, only because there was a possibility of the event being spoiled by bampots, fired up by that John-Reid-warmonger nonsense.

It was an exercise in firefighting from the tims board but ultimately a minutes applause rather than the traditional minute of quiet reflection was even more insulting to the memory of those men than letting a few bozo's boo.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I understand why they did it but that doesn't make it right. It's different because there is no specific individual commemorated at the time of Remembrance, it is personal to all of us.

If Septic fans objected, they should have remain seated as I would have done at the minute's silence for the Pope had I made kick-off that day (I was 10 minutes late!).

stevieC@pivot

The 3 0r 4 thousand empty seats told its own story of those who objected to any simbolic tribute to the poppy!!

The 3 0r 4 thousand empty seats told its own story of those who objected to any simbolic tribute to the poppy!!

Celtic victory over Motherwell tarnished by protest over Remembrance Sunday

Celtic went five points clear of Rangers ? who meet Kilmarnock this afternoon at Rugby Park ? when they beat a Motherwell side reduced to 10 men in the second half by the dismissal of David Clarkson, with goals from Paul Hartley and Scott McDonald.

An otherwise satisfactory day for the league leaders was marred by a protest from supporters who did not agree with the club's observance of Remembrance weekend.

Anticipating the possibility of disruption, Celtic ? alone of the Scottish Premier League clubs ? decided against commemorating the event with a silence, opting instead for a minute's applause.

Denied the opportunity to make their objections heard ? the protest was evidently connected with the British army's activities in Northern Ireland ? around 150 fans left the ground and demonstrated outside the front of the stadium.

portobellojambo1

I understand why they did what they did, or at least why they think what they did was right, but i do not agree with it. Celtic Football Club yesterday gave in to their republican elements, and should be ashamed of themselves.

This was about showing respect, and should be done in silent remembrance.

Just another way for the SFA to stop Celtic looking bad. Understand why they did it, but they still shouldn't have.

I selected 'yes' but i meant no

please take os an 'aye' and add it to the no's.

sorry i misread

I am glad celtic never tho as it shows them up for the vile institution that they are

stevieC@pivot
Celtic victory over Motherwell tarnished by protest over Remembrance Sunday

Celtic went five points clear of Rangers ? who meet Kilmarnock this afternoon at Rugby Park ? when they beat a Motherwell side reduced to 10 men in the second half by the dismissal of David Clarkson, with goals from Paul Hartley and Scott McDonald.

An otherwise satisfactory day for the league leaders was marred by a protest from supporters who did not agree with the club's observance of Remembrance weekend.

Anticipating the possibility of disruption, Celtic ? alone of the Scottish Premier League clubs ? decided against commemorating the event with a silence, opting instead for a minute's applause.

Denied the opportunity to make their objections heard ? the protest was evidently connected with the British army's activities in Northern Ireland ? around 150 fans left the ground and demonstrated outside the front of the stadium.

They should leave the country too!!

Johanes de Silentio

It's very simple - Celtic could not risk the minute's silence, which would have been the most appropriate way of paying respect in reverence, because they knew that their fans could not/would not behave in an appropriate manner - SHAMEFUL!

On a slightly more positive note, it is now a matter of public record that Glasgow Celtic Football Club have acknowledged the fact that their followers are vermin.

I was very glad to hear Jim Spence comment on Sportsound yesterday that the game he was covering involved clubs whose supporters include immigrants - all of whom payed their respects in absolute silence. Pretty sure that wee Spency woulda got his knuckles rapped for this. Guid on you, son!

I'll say it again - **** off back to Ireland like the slimey **** we all know you are!

It's very simple - Celtic could not risk the minute's silence, which would have been the most appropriate way of paying respect in reverence, because they knew that their fans could not/would not behave in an appropriate manner - SHAMEFUL!

There was nothing for the club to risk. If they did the right thing then only their booing/walk-out supporters would be in the wrong.

What about the fans handing out the leaflets outside the ground. You think they could have doen this at Tynecastle or any other ground in Britain? Only at Parkhead.

Johanes de Silentio
There was nothing for the club to risk. If they did the right thing then only their booing/walk-out supporters would be in the wrong.

What about the fans handing out the leaflets outside the ground. You think they could have doen this at Tynecastle or any other ground in Britain? Only at Parkhead.

My point exactly - The Celtic top brass knew that their fans couldn't behave - that's why they chose the minute's applause over the minute's silence - damage limitation!

Did anyone else just do the minute's silence? I did.

Just as the officials managed NOT to hold a minutes silence for the Queen Mother at Parkhead, it was simply another cop-out by Celtic FC to avoid being tarred with the bigotry brush.

Unlike their disgusting counterparts at Ibrox this lot are becoming increasingly clever at hiding their bigoted attitudes under 'traditions', 'folk songs', etc - so that they can adopt both the moral highground AND play the victim card.

It's sickening, especially when these ridiculously entrenched and polarised attitudes are becoming much less prevalent in Ireland. Caveman.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just as the officials managed NOT to hold a minutes silence for the Queen Mother at Parkhead, it was simply another cop-out by Celtic FC to avoid being tarred with the bigotry brush.

Unlike their disgusting counterparts at Ibrox this lot are becoming increasingly clever at hiding their bigoted attitudes under 'traditions', 'folk songs', etc - so that they can adopt both the moral highground AND play the victim card.

It's sickening, especially when these ridiculously entrenched and polarised attitudes are becoming much less prevalent in Ireland. Caveman.

I'm watching some of the excellent coverage from the cenetaph on BBC 1 at the moment, and I kind of doubt that anyone there could care less about Celtic Football Club or the jakies who follow them.

Celtic were in a lose lose situation. They knew an element of their support would not act in an appropriate manner and I think that the decision to applaud was probably wise. Celtic have a large minority of idiots that follow them and their sectarian rantings have no place in football, however to say that Celtic are a vile institution is nonsense. They are a football club and the decent Celtic supporters are probably ashamed of the element of theri support that act in this manner and rightly so.

This is a day to remember wat people have given in defence of this country not to use this issue to take the moral highground

NO, if they expected others to stay quiet for the pope's death, then they should honour this as well. Those who died in that war saved not only Great Britain, but Ireland as well.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
This is a day to remember wat people have given in defence of this country not to use this issue to take the moral highground

Well said. It's also a day to remember that professional football is nothing more than a game, and one that sometimes deserves to be treated with total contempt.

Johanes de Silentio

I'm not saying that Celtic were right to do what they did, I'm simply stating why they did it - precisely because they knew that their fans could not be trusted to act in a civilized manner - even for a minute!

Celtic have now confirmed their own shame by being the only club in the country not to have a minute's silence.

A pox on them!

Francis Albert

By far the best comment I have read on the whole affair.

Johanes de Silentio

I don't think anyone is using this an excuse to take the moral high ground.

I think it's acceptable for anyone to express their disgust at 'people' who refused to show their respects in an appropriate manner. By not showing appropriate respect, they deliberately show contempt and disdain. That is disgraceful, and they should be told as much!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I think it's acceptable for anyone to express their disgust at 'people' who refused to show their respects in an appropriate manner. By not showing appropriate respect, they deliberately show contempt and disdain. That is disgraceful, and they should be told as much!

Personally, I don't think they deserve any attention whatsoever. Utter losers whose greatest achievement in life if to learn the words to Ooh Ah

Francis Albert

It isn't an exact analogy but there is something about the outrage being expressed and the way it is directed at Celtic the club and all its fans that reminds me of the reaction to the few hundred fans who booed during the semi-final minute of silence. Within seconds of paying their respects to their beloved Father "Dirty Orange b*****d*" rang out loud and clear. In the circumstances it seemed about as fitting as the booing to me.

Right, only because there was a possibility of the event being spoiled by bampots, fired up by that John-Reid-warmonger nonsense.

As bad as this will sound, maybe that would have been a good thing as there would have been no way they could have covered that up in the media and maybe the myth about them being such a great bunch of fans could finally have been exploded.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
As bad as this will sound, maybe that would have been a good thing as there would have been no way they could have covered that up in the media and maybe the myth about them being such a great bunch of fans could finally have been exploded.

It's interesting that the SPL were complicit in allowing a minute's applause to take place.

According to the Daily Record:

WAR veterans have blasted a plan to hold a minute's applause of remembrance at this weekend's football matches.

In an unprecedented move, SPL operations director Iain Blair offered clubs the option of marking Armistice Day by replacing the traditional silence with cheering.

But Major Ronnie Proctor, curator of the Black Watch Museum, said: "The minute's silence is a tradition in this country and people are expected to respect the silence.

"I'd like it to continue. I think the majority of people will respect it."

So essentially, the SPL - either deliberately or inadvertently - offered Celtic a way out of the minute's silence. It's doesn't take a genius to work out how Celtic will defend themselves i.e. by saying they were given the option.

On the real radio thread there seems to be mixed opinions on Celtic doing the minutes aplause during yesterdays game.

This is a simple poll, Should Celtic have held a minutes silence or a minutes aplause for those who lost there lives during the great war?

I have never agreed with the applause thing.

It was only introdcued to hide dispicable behaviour from other fans and save them embarresment, and Celtic have a lot of that as we saw yesterday (and last Sunday also - with their pro IRA songs).

The Old Tolbooth

Absolutely wrong, it prevented showing those filthy bams up for what they really are, they should be shamed publically and then the events should be broadcast all over world news.

I would say they were correct,they were obviously trying to avoid any kind of embarrassment to their club.

If Hearts had the option of having a minutes silence at Tynecastle for ,say the death of a pope,knowing full well that there would be a protest,or a minutes applause,I would think that they would pick the later as well.

It's still quite sickening that people can't hold any kind of respectfull silence for anyone, without morons turning it into a shambles.

FFS when the Queen mother died there was a minutes silence at the grand national(I'm sure it was that race meeting) when there was thousands of Rep of Ireland citizens there,everyone respected that silence.

aAso remember a year back God save the Queen was played a Croke park,the stronghold for the republican movement,at a rugby game,no booing or anything like a protest was heard.

Only in football,only in football.

Not at all, it's the one event of every year that deserves total and utter silence.

Celtic did it so they would not look like idiots with the minority who would boo.

Not at all, it's the one event of every year that deserves total and utter silence.

Celtic did it so they would not look like idiots with the minority who would boo.

That is exactly what my first point is,to save any embarrassment,the same option Hears would use if they knew that the Hearts support were going to disrupt a minutes silence,or any team for that matter.

NO they were wrong to hold a mins applause.

Can understand what people are saying and why they did it, but it was done purely as a way of masking the venomous and bigotted element of their support.

Totally innapropriate to hold a mins applause for Rememberence Day.

I have no problem with the applause for an individual ie. Eddie Thompson, Wallace Mercer etc. These were individuals and football men. However Rememberence Day is not about football it is not about an individual, it is a time for reflection on the millions who made the ultimate sacrifice, to give us all our freedom we have today. Including those idiots that protested and were handing out leaflets and tried to use this day as a way of expressing there opinions and hatred for "Imperialised britain"

Yup. Better to applaud than to hear a bunch of phannies boo their way through it. Doesn't make that aspect right, but in terms of ensuring respect the applause was the only way to go as clapping is better than idiots booing (silence carries it further).

You could argue that those booing wouldn't have the balls to go through with it, but they're mindless idiots hocked up on Buckfast so more than likely would.

Celtic however should be ashamed of themselves that they had to resort to this in the first place.

I would say they were correct,they were obviously trying to avoid any kind of embarrassment to their club.

If Hearts had the option of having a minutes silence at Tynecastle for ,say the death of a pope,knowing full well that there would be a protest,or a minutes applause,I would think that they would pick the later as well.

It's still quite sickening that people can't hold any kind of respectfull silence for anyone, without morons turning it into a shambles.

FFS when the Queen mother died there was a minutes silence at the grand national(I'm sure it was that race meeting) when there was thousands of Rep of Ireland citizens there,everyone respected that silence.

aAso remember a year back God save the Queen was played a Croke park,the stronghold for the republican movement,at a rugby game,no booing or anything like a protest was heard.

Only in football,only in football.

I'm sure there were many many 'ordinary' folk at Croke that day, many with republican leanings .................but either they had the simple good grace to 'respect' GSTQ when it was played .............or at the very least they had the intelligence to just BUTTON it when their nation was in the media glare.

The knuckle draggers that blight both our supports clearly have neither :sad:

However back on the topic. I think that the applause caper may have back-fired as it has attracted perhaps more media 'interest' than a small number of bampot fans perhaps would ( and the media would have done their best to keep that quiet anyway )

instead of 'damage limitation', celtic should have been forced by the SPL to either guarantee the observation of a silence or been told not to have any kind of 'tribute' whatsoever.

if their moronic element can't be trusted to behave like human beings, then don't take part in the tribute at all. their 'watered down' efforts to join in with all the other clubs are not required.

they were totally wrong. It's not an applause type of thing

To me, the "minute's applause" is the celebration of a particular life.

Remembrance Sunday is bigger than that. It is about taking a minute to acknowledge the enormity of the Great War, and subsequent conflicts.

What puts it into context is the realisation that- had I been born in 1892 and not 1972 - I would likely have ended up in the trenches.

A small amount of quiet reflection of the sacrifices that peopl just like all of us made should be solemn and respectful.... not a round of applause. This is NOT about celebrating the life of George Best, Wallace Mercer, Jimmy Johnston, etc. - people whose life has run a fairly normal course. This is different

they were totally wrong. It's not an applause type of thing

What would you have them do then instead,let their moronic segment of fans cause an outrage,which would no doubt be shown all over europe and disgrace themself's and I would think Scottish football.

They acted the way I would hope Hearts would act if they knew the an element of the support was going to disrupt something like this.

I don't agree with these nutters in any way but their board had to do something.

Turns out it was may be for the best,shows how little support these arse holes have, that they could only muster 200 pathetic little souls out of 50 odd thousand fans.

What would you have them do then instead,let their moronic segment of fans cause an outrage,which would no doubt be shown all over europe and disgrace themself's and I would think Scottish football.

They acted the way I would hope Hearts would act if they knew the an element of the support was going to disrupt something like this.

I don't agree with these nutters in any way but their board had to do something.

Turns out it was may be for the best,shows how little support these arse holes have, that they could only muster 200 pathetic little souls out of 50 odd thousand fans.

From the point of view of Celtic as a PLC .............then this damage limitation PR campaign was the RIGHT way to go

However I wonder why we were 'allowed' to disgrace Scottish football following the actions of a minority at hampden. I dont recall us being offered a similar 'get out'

Maybe the SPL / SFA have learned quickly .........we'll find out next time there is an 'embarrassment' waiting to happen that involves Hearts !

From the point of view of Celtic as a PLC .............then this damage limitation PR campaign was the RIGHT way to go

However I wonder why we were 'allowed' to disgrace Scottish football following the actions of a minority at hampden. I dont recall us being offered a similar 'get out'Maybe the SPL / SFA have learned quickly .........we'll find out next time there is an 'embarrassment' waiting to happen that involves Hearts !

Did the Hearts board ask?

Did they know full well that there was going to be a disruption?

I in no way am trying to defend Celtic,I can't stick them and what they stand for,but they were correct in the way they handled the situation,which was the OPs question.

I think that lots of people on here would have prefered for the tims to disgrace themselfs and dishonour our war dead just to prove a point,these morons didn't get it their way and it showed just how little the majority of the tim fans care about them when only 200 turned up to their mindless protest.

BangkokHearts

Why was there a minute silence for the Pope anyway? He's a religious figure and nothing to do with football. Nor is he directly anything to do with Scotland nor Britain. He was Polish.

If the Moderator of the Church of Scotland dies should we have a minutes silence for him?

Why was there a minute silence for the Pope anyway? He's a religious figure and nothing to do with football. Nor is he directly anything to do with Scotland nor Britain. He was Polish.

If the Moderator of the Church of Scotland dies should we have a minutes silence for him?

As far as I'm aware some tic supporters club said that the whole of world football had got the chance to have a minutes silence,but because their games were off at the time they asked if they could hold one at hampden that day,the SFA asked each club involved if they had any objection to it ,no club objected,so a minutes silence was to be observed in both the semi-finals.

IMO this should never heve happened ,the guy was buried and a minutes silence world wide was observed,so no need to have another,but as I say the SFA were asked and no one said no.

Silence. There is no other way to pay respect under these circumstances. :mad:

rudi must stay

who cares if some supporters boo the minutes silence or not its those supporters who look bad and not the club. Having a minutes applause just makes the club look bad and rightly so

Stupid Sexy Flanders

They did the right thing from their own point of view, ie they saved the club being shown up for being the vile, bigoted institution that it is. But ultimately they have bowed to these bigots and allowed them to win. Which is obviously wrong.

Oh, and your thread title should say "were", not "where".

Archived