rememberance day and the scottish media

andi17

This post is not about scoring brownie points but does anybody think that since the rest of spl has started to do its bit for rememberance sunday that the weegie press has devoted a lot more coverage.This is great in my opinion as everybody who deserves it will benifit,but the point iam trying to make is that HMFC has been doing the wearing poppies on strips and having our own rememberance service for decades,Acouple of seasons ago we tried to get a game v sheep postponed so players and staff could pay thier respects but think the spl knocked it back.Dont remember many discerning voices in the weegie press but because rankers invite some soldiers to their game last week(and good on them)there is big double page spreads in the weegie papers ,not being paranoid would just like opinions.

They always write more about everything that Rangers do (which is fair enough, they probably sell more copies by focussing (sp?) on by far the two biggest clubs). I think that it's just a case of them needing to fill more "Rangers space" than being anything to do with bias in this case.

fill more "Rangers space" than being anything to do with bias.

Confused.

Why is there Rangers space to fill? If there is nothing to say there is nothing to say.

Surely creating "Rangers space" is a sign of bias then?

Confused.

Why is there Rangers space to fill? If there is nothing to say there is nothing to say.

I suppose that you could look at it like that, but what I'm trying to get at (maybe not phrasing it well) is that newspapers are primarily there to make money. They'll always sell more copies by talking about the Old Firm, hence there'll always be "Rangers space" and "Celtic space" that the national papers feel that they have to fill.

I suppose that you could look at it like that, but what I'm trying to get at (maybe not phrasing it well) is that newspapers are primarily there to make money. They'll always sell more copies by talking about the Old Firm, hence there'll always be "Rangers space" and "Celtic space" that the national papers feel that they have to fill.

So the national rags are therefore by default biased to the OF and the justification for this is their circulation figures.

I agree with you re why they do it, but I can't help but call it as bias regardless of the reason.

Forever Maroon
Confused.

Surely creating "Rangers space" is a sign of bias then?[/QUOTE]

Just sells papers...... economic sense, all to do with the number of readers, no point filling a paper full of Shire stories - anyone who thinks otherwise is demented.

As for the OP point.....I don't think you have one tbh - Yes Hearts have been doing it for years, all the other teams joining in is to be applauded & of course the papers are going to afforded it greater coverage it if all the teams in the in the league are uniting together. I'm sure if you dig out back copies of the papers you will find that Hearts go media coverage

Confused.

Just sells papers...... economic sense' date=' all to do with the number of readers, no point filling a paper full of Shire stories - anyone who thinks otherwise is demented.

[/quote']

See my post immediately before yours.

Guest juvehearts
So the national rags are therefore by default biased to the OF and the justification for this is their circulation figures.

I agree with you re why they do it, but I can't help but call it as bias regardless of the reason.

Turn over any of the rag's & you will undoubtibly see these pages filled with OF nonsence, almost every day & weekend, thses 2 dominate the pages of the sport section where the rest of us get lumbered with half a page each.

it is without a doubt that the newspapers are OF biast & have to be to sell papers.

its not rocket science to work out that the ugly sisters have the bigger fan bases, theirfor need to fill Of 'spaces' in their collum just to get a ned to buy a paper.

saying that, IMO anyone who buy's a rag is a ned. only IMO though :D

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I'm kind of torn here. Of course it's annoying, as it always is, when newspapers latch onto a story just because the OF are involved. But I find it much more annoying when Hearts fans try and 'claim' remembrance day as some sort of Hearts-only occasion. I know the OP didn't, just making a general point.

Confused.

Just sells papers...... economic sense' date=' all to do with the number of readers, no point filling a paper full of Shire stories - anyone who thinks otherwise is demented.

As for the OP point.....I don't think you have one tbh - Yes Hearts have been doing it for years, all the other teams joining in is to be applauded & of course the papers are going to afforded it greater coverage it if all the teams in the in the league are uniting together. I'm sure if you dig out back copies of the papers you will find that Hearts go media coverage[/quote']

Im not saying that HMFC have not had any media coverage it just seems that now other teams have became involved its what a great bunch they are but lets be honest for years (no names) none of them have been interested which is a disgrace,and no i am definatly not trying to say oh look at us this is exclusively a HEARTS THING NO WAY NEVER.

AH but if thats the case why dont they write about most of the bad crap that goes with them bigotry etc ,do agree with what youre saying though

Confused.

It would be more to do with buisness than bias.

Rangers and Celtic have a larger fanbase in Scotland that most of the other clubs put together so it makes sense to have more about the those two in your paper because then you will sell more.

Rangers and Celtic have a larger fanbase in Scotland that most of the other clubs put together so it makes sense to have more about the those two in your paper because then you will sell more.

Yet again, see my previous comment.

I think that was his point. Business bias is still bias.

But it's hardly anything anybody with half a brain cell doesn't know.

I am trying to say: You cant call it buisness bias because it is just normal buisness practise!

Its about marketing and sale-ability.

Why would they print more non OF articles if they knew it meant less papers would be bought?

Rule 1 of marketing.

Its a good buisness strategy - not bias!

I am trying to say: You cant call it buisness bias because it is just normal buisness practise!

Its about marketing and sale-ability.

Why would they print more non OF articles if they knew it meant less papers would be bought?

Rule 1 of marketing.

Its a good buisness strategy - not bias!

So any newspaper in Nazi Germany that was saying bad things about the Jews wasn't really being anti-semitic it was just following good business practice.

:rolleyes:

I'm kind of torn here. Of course it's annoying, as it always is, when newspapers latch onto a story just because the OF are involved. But I find it much more annoying when Hearts fans try and 'claim' remembrance day as some sort of Hearts-only occasion. I know the OP didn't, just making a general point.

100% correct,TBH it's only become such a huge issue over the past 5-6 years and has snowballed after the Contalmaison monument.

This is to remember the dead in the great war,I used to sell poppies when I was in the cadets,can't remember Hearts being very involved when I went to the Haig foundation and no one made much of an issue when the ex-soldiers form both war's found out I supported Hearts.

The more people buy the better for all IMO,regardless who buy's or sell's them,remember there was millions killed not just a team from Edinburgh.

100% correct,TBH it's only become such a huge issue over the past 5-6 years and has snowballed after the Contalmaison monument.

This is to remember the dead in the great war,I used to sell poppies when I was in the cadets,can't remember Hearts being very involved when I went to the Haig foundation and no one made much of an issue when the ex-soldiers form both war's found out I supported Hearts.

The more people buy the better for all IMO,regardless who buy's or sell's them,remember there was millions killed not just a team from Edinburgh.

Totally disagree i remember laying a wreath at haymarket in 1975 for my supporters club and it was as big a thing then as it is now.

So any newspaper in Nazi Germany that was saying bad things about the Jews wasn't really being anti-semitic it was just following good business practice.

ABSOLUTLY BRILLIANT

Confused.

Of course it is, there bias weedgie barstewards.

MacDonald Jardine

No, but it's not a great comparison.

I don't see too many articles in the Sun saying "we are the people, no surrender ***" or the likes

MacDonald Jardine
This post is not about scoring brownie points but does anybody think that since the rest of spl has started to do its bit for rememberance sunday that the weegie press has devoted a lot more coverage.This is great in my opinion as everybody who deserves it will benifit,but the point iam trying to make is that HMFC has been doing the wearing poppies on strips and having our own rememberance service for decades,Acouple of seasons ago we tried to get a game v sheep postponed so players and staff could pay thier respects but think the spl knocked it back.Dont remember many discerning voices in the weegie press but because rankers invite some soldiers to their game last week(and good on them)there is big double page spreads in the weegie papers ,not being paranoid would just like opinions.

The first bit yes.

The second, no.

IIRC the first to wear poppies in recent years anyway were Rangers and Kilmarnock.

The game v Aberdeen being on Remembrance Sunday was such a big deal to the club noone noticed until the fans mentioned it.

I'm not suggesting Hearts should do less, quite the opposite, but I get a bit uncomfortable with what does come across as an attempt to claim this as a Hearts thing.

Erm, I agree with everyone on this post!!!

Pain in the erse the bias and amount of print the weej filth get, but understandable from business point of view cos it sells papers. Good on the EN cos they dont pander and stick to Edinburgh - shame they are so Hobo-focussed!!

The other point on the actuall 11/11. Well, i'm not religious, im anti-war, but i can see a worth-while cause and I'm incredibly proud with my team's history and continued support of this. It is a bit cringe worthy when certain jambos do almost claim we boshed the Kaiser single-handedly.

Good news the rest of Scotland are behind this now. (edit: not that they weren't before - suppose i meant the SFA)

As an aside, i know we do it, but i'd like to see us being one of the forerunners in promoting and supporting other worthy causes. Can't believe these next three words, but, good on Rangers (eeeewww, i feel dirty!) for their support of Unicef for instance

No, but it's not a great comparison.

I don't see too many articles in the Sun saying "we are the people, no surrender ***" or the likes

OK, a bit extreme perhaps, but Rangers & Celtic don't market themselves on the bigotry, yet the media like to make "jokes" about it. Jonathon Watson has made a career out of it! The nudge, nudge, wink , wink attitude to it stinks.

If sales were based exculsively on OF stories, wouldn't the Rangers News and Celtic View sell more copies?

The Press pander to it, hide it behind simple circulation figures if you want, but the bottom line is that they pander to the OF as an institution and really don't care about the OF fans as all they want to do is ingratiate themselves with the clubs. Everyone wants to be Walter's pal....

Goodmorningmrfisherman
Totally disagree i remember laying a wreath at haymarket in 1975 for my supporters club and it was as big a thing then as it is now.

How big do you call big?

IN 75 i reckon around 250 people at the service and I would say average home crowd back then was around 11,000.

I for one don't care who gets the glory from the media(ie the old firm,west brom or sheff untd)if it generates ?1 extra for the appeal than it normally would then i'm delighted as it's extra coppers to the fund.

If you think the press are bad, just wait until you see what the S(G)FA have allegedly got planned for a section on the war(s) in the Footballing Museum at Hampden.

Archived