Dhim-witted protest

Guest Alex Guttenplan

for me i just get the idea that it's people acting in accordance with the way they think they should act, the way they have been conditioned to act, following the doctrine, buying into the whole lifestyle, towing the party line, doing what their fathers and older brothers did before them....

i can just imagine the mono-brow twisting above the pair of shifty looking eyes.... 'erra poppy day comin' round again big man, we're against aw that stuff an' that, so we are, pure imperialistic anti-republican stuff likes, we huv tae protest, so we do'.

brainwashing at it's most classic.

I'd like to think that their great (and great-great) grandfathers and grandmothers would be disappointed in their actions. It's clear that they don't fully understand what it is that the poppy represents, or what they might be protesting against.

I really hope the more educated members of their support might think differently this weekend.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marooned In Oz

Lastly, the SPL should arrange a 10 x 10 foot Union Flag to be laid on the pitch before every game, just to get it right up them.

Whilst I find their "protest" unsavoury and vile. This weekend shouldn't be about petty point scoring and "getting it right up them"

It's about respect for our fallen countrymen who died for our freedom.

I find your comments just as disgusting as the Celtic fans. Clown

I P Knightley
Yeah.

the sole reason I am proud to be part of the United Kindom & Nothern Ireland.

The simple fact is that this extremism by this party, if you even call them that is what is wrong with the world & this country.

the simple fact is that the IRA died a long time ago & the ceasefire was the best thing- everyone agreed.

what still baffles me is that these idots haven't grown up & should be locked away or at the very least go to the andrew duncan & have their heeds examined.

I booed at hampden simpally because RELIGON HAS F'ALL TO DO WITH FOOTBALL. I wanted to make my point loud & clear & do not give a flying what anyone else thinks as that is my POV.

people went to war & died for my freedom to express my opnion & that is why i will always wear my poppy with pride.

God save the Queen.

I don't think you can justify your ignorance so blithely.

Some might argue that a 90 year old war has effall to do with football. The vast majority, though, want to pay respect to the memory of those men & boys who laid down their lives for our freedom. Civilised folk, even if they don't agree with it, should find an appropriate forum on which to debate the issue. Disrupting what, for many, is a significant & moving moment of tribute is disrespectful and boorish.

Thunderstruck

What better evidence of peace and reconciliation could we have than former enemies coming together to remember the sacrifice and folly of war. Last November, following a quiet ceremony on a Scottish hillside at a memorial to French servicemen, I spoke to a German veteran who had exactly the same opinion.

Perhaps the nihilistic cretins on the fringes of the Celtic support should get out more. In particular, they should get out more on a cold, damp November morning and have a few moments quiet reflection and respect the sacrifice of men and women of all nationalities. A sacrifice that now permits them the liberty to hold and broadcast their extreme if ludicrous views.

Yeah.

The simple fact is that this extremism by this party, if you even call them that is what is wrong with the world & this country.

the simple fact is that the IRA died a long time ago & the ceasefire was the best thing- everyone agreed.

what still baffles me is that these idots haven't grown up & should be locked away or at the very least go to the andrew duncan & have their heeds examined.

I booed at hampden simpally because RELIGON HAS F'ALL TO DO WITH FOOTBALL. I wanted to make my point loud & clear & do not give a flying what anyone else thinks as that is my POV.

people went to war & died for my freedom to express my opnion & that is why i will always wear my poppy with pride.

God save the Queen.

I'm afraid your post is full of contradictions.

Colonel Kurtz

They are entitled not to wear a poppy,I have never worn one as my Grandfather who fought in WW1,would not allow them as he said they were "that ******* haigs family,trying to buy his place in Heaven" .

He was not alone in that opinion amongst WW1 veterans

I have however been at haymerket with less than a dozen people,nobody from Hearts etc,to pay respect.

They should however keep their opinions to themselves when respect is being paid.

terrible_groaning_noise

I would suggest a proportion of the Celtic support are protestant, I would also suggest that a reasonable proportion are Scottish. Therefore one would conclude that their ancestors were involved in the last two world wars catholic and protestant. They appear to be appeasing a vocal minority who are intent on re-inventing history for their own agenda.

They are entitled not to wear a poppy,I have never worn one as my Grandfather who fought in WW1,would not allow them as he said they were "that ******* haigs family,trying to buy his place in Heaven" .

He was not alone in that opinion amongst WW1 veterans

I have however been at haymerket with less than a dozen people,nobody from Hearts etc,to pay respect.

They should however keep their opinions to themselves when respect is being paid.

:biggrin:

If my grandad had felt that way, I would probably do the same...as a mark of personal respect though, rather than anything more meaningful.

For me (and probably many others) Haig's name isn't really synonymous with this sort of thing anymore.

I would suggest a proportion of the Celtic support are protestant, I would also suggest that a reasonable proportion are Scottish. Therefore one would conclude that their ancestors were involved in the last two world wars catholic and protestant. They appear to be appeasing a vocal minority who are intent on re-inventing history for their own agenda.

In what way are they appeasing them? Celtic football club have agreed to take part in the tribute and deserve no criticism as far as i'm concerned.

Jambo, Goodbye

They gave their tomorrow so we could have our today...

If some morons don't want to wear the poppy then let them, I don't think our fallen heroes would want such a symbol of rememberance dragged through the mud by having it forced upon people, it would be an act which stands against what they fought for.

I though will continue to wear it proudly each and every year.

I will remember my great grandad who fought bravely in the trenches during WW1 and then with the RAF during WW2, and my great uncle who took part in the Normandy beach landing which I couldn't even begin to imagine. I will also remember everyone else who made the ultimate sacrifice for all of us.

Let these cretins act this way, because 80 years from now who will ever remember them?

Yeah.

God save the Queen.

Sorry, I've had a couple of beers and I feel I can't let that go without comment, because while DEMANDING to 'express' YOUR point of view...............you made The Club and the rest of it's supporters look like a right shower of c****................IMO of course

Seymour M Hersh
I know this won't be popular but....

Is it really fair to ask Hinkel and other nationalites that Britain fought against to wear the poppy on their shirt, if the poppy is indeed a remembrance of the British war dead only?

Would people be fine if Hearts players had to wear an Iron cross to commemorate the victims of Dresden or something similair for Japanese victims of Hiroshima?

If the poppy is a symbol of remembrance of all those who died in the war, then great but if it's only Brits then I'm not so sure it's appropriate.

I understand your concern from WWII but remember Japan fought with the allies in WWI. Add to that they are earning a (healthy) crust in the UK. I very much doubt either player will have an issue with it.

Bomber Harris
you made The Club and the rest of it's supporters look like a right shower of c****................IMO of course

no he didn't

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :)

I wonder how many Celtic fans really will want to protest against it though - we're only hearing from a select few ***** really and there may be many of their supporters who are just as against this as we are.

Wearing a poppy should be optional but as said above I cannot really see why anyone would not want to wear it. Just because you are not from a particular nation doesn't mean you wouldn't want to remember those who died in the war i.e if I went to France, I would be just as happy to honour those Frenchmen who died fighting alongside ours, as I will be honouring my own on sunday.

it's very interesting, and predictable, to see a major difference in how this story has been handled by the sun and the record.

the sun go with "celtic fans in poppy outrage"...

the record settle for "row over players' poppies" (and then go on to describe how these characters are "disappointed" that celtic players will wear the poppies)...

what ever happened to a free and independant press?, one that has the courage of their convictions to report things as they are without having to pander to people to avoid recriminations?

Guest Dipped Flake
Yeah.

God save the Queen.

Your post would fit in well on the website quoted in the OP. They would no doubt say

'we don't give a flying what anyone else thinks and no way we are having anything to do with the poppy as people went to war with the brits so they could express their opinion, God bless the Pope.'

In what way are they appeasing them? Celtic football club have agreed to take part in the tribute and deserve no criticism as far as i'm concerned.

Celtic football Club always desrve criticism. (in my humble opinion of course)

john brownlee
"THERE WILL BE A PROTEST AGAINST THIS - EVEN IF TAL IS ALONE IN ORGANISING IT ON SATURDAY - WE WILL BE PROTESTING AGAINST THIS PRO-IMPERIALIST NONSENSE.

For everyone who doesn't know, Celtic will be wearing a poppy on their shirt for the game against Motherwell along with the 11 other SPL clubs. Players including Nakamura and Hinkel.

The red poppy is a symbol that commemerates exclusively British war dead rather than all the fallen of all the wars.

We will be leafleting all sides of the ground before the game on Saturday. We want as many people as possible to turn up on Saturday and help us spread the message amolng the supporters against this jingoism.

Cairde Na h?ireann are supporting the protest.

We will be urging in the leaflet that fans should support the walk out protest suggested by the Green Brigade.

We will also be urging that if there's a minute's silence before the start of the match, those who are against this celebration of British imperialism should turn their backs on the silence and/or hold up the front of our leaflet as a show of defiance.

Meet at the Cairde Shop at the Gallowgate.

:mad:

This post just proves my point.. lepors never change their spots

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article1902396.ece

A club spokesman said: ?We expect any protest to be inconsequential.?

So no, they have not condemned it,.

Na, lets not come ou and say Celtic will not tolerate it, lets just brush it under the carpet.

Total ****

I have said it a million times there whole club is based on bigotry.

In fact there whole relegion is bigotry itself

Lets hope the BBC and Setanta highlight the booing probably not though.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article1902396.ece

A club spokesman said: ?We expect any protest to be inconsequential.?

So no, they have not condemned it,.

Na, lets not come ou and say Celtic will not tolerate it, lets just brush it under the carpet.

Total ****

"we expect any protest to be inconsequential" is just their way of saying... 'we're not interested in the slightest, and we're not bothered if anyone else has a problem with it'.

Guest S.U.S.S.
"we expect any protest to be inconsequential" is just their way of saying... 'we're not interested in the slightest, and we're not bothered if anyone else has a problem with it'.

Exactly the way i read it mate, ****ing hate that shower of *******s.

If religion has nothing to do with football why were you booing a religious figure at a football match?

All you did that day was make the entire Hearts support look like bigots.

In fact, your actions that day resulted in me, my brother and my mates being clearly visible on the front page of the sun under the headline 'BIGOTS'.

Still, at least you showed them eh?

Back to the original topic I really wish all the pseud-oirish erses on both sides would go and live in Ireland and leave us all in peace.

Spot on!

Although I would inflict the erses on the Irish (there's a linguistic joke in there somewhere). Most irish wouldn't want them ...

Guest S.U.S.S.
Spot on!

Although I would inflict the erses on the Irish (there's a linguistic joke in there somewhere). Most irish wouldn't want them ...

Exactly, amazing they want to join the EPL and not the LOI tho!

This post just proves my point.. lepors never change their spots

No, but they can change their hands! Barrum-ching.

If Ireland is so important to these clowns why don't they just feck off and live there, and they can take their parasitical team and their equally abhorant neighbours with them.

Exactly, amazing they want to join the EPL and not the LOI tho!

Yes, funny that ain't it? You'd have thought that the prospect of rainy midweek away fixtures against Kilkenny City, Finn Harps, or Sporting Fingal would have brought an emotional tear to the twinkly eye of the most plastic of Plastics.

Apparently they'd prefer Manchester, Stoke, London ... heartlands of those dastardly Brits. Go figure ...

I was once given a copy of TAL to read from a Celtic supporter at work, this was many moons ago, maybe in the late 90's.

Funnier than The Viz i seem to remember.

As a member of the armed forces this kind of thing sickens me.

If, god forbid, this country was under serious threat(which i think it is to an extent but thats not for this thread) who do these morons think they would turn to for protection?

The poppy is about remembering all those who gave everything so we could live free of tyrany regardless of there political/religious/ethnic background.

I myself will be taking part in a parade on the south coast this sunday and will proudly remember.

It's probably for the best these ***** don't support the cause as if they did they would be demanding their game be posponed every week due to the death of someone 'related to their family'

The word "****" is overused on forums such as this, but it's the only word applicable in these circumstances. Anyone seen their leaflet yet?

pic1vv5.jpg

Is it okay to hate them yet?

Guest Dipped Flake
The word "****" is overused on forums such as this, but it's the only word applicable in these circumstances. Anyone seen their leaflet yet?

pic1vv5.jpg

Is it okay to hate them yet?

Not read their leaflet and have no intention of doing so but, if it is as reported, then feel free to hate them all you want; doubt you would have anyone saying otherwise. People like that are the **** of the earth.

Not read their leaflet and have no intention of doing so but, if it is as reported, then feel free to hate them all you want; doubt you would have anyone saying otherwise. People like that are the **** of the earth.

That was actually a picture of the leaflet that I posted there. :unsure:

Edit : If it was just John Reid that they were protesting against, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they're pretending that the protest is against him to cover up their much more sinister agenda. If it was a protest against him, they'd have done it at the time that he was appointed.

Patrick Bateman

From what I've heard, it's only a tiny section of Celtic supporters engaging in this. Still pretty pathetic though.

boabyarsebiscuit

If you can bear with me on this. It might turn out to be a bit long-winded.

I recently took up an assignement in Ireland. And on occasion I have trooped out of the hotel to local hostelries to watch midweek football matches (including Man Utd - Celtic).

First off I have been really surprised at the lack of "Sellick taps" on view. Apart from one teenage shell-suited ned one lunchtime, I haven't seen any. True in the sports shops round here the only Scottish top you'll see on sale is Celtic. But they are consigned to the general rack, in amongst Real Madrid, Milan, Blackburn Rovers, and so on. Whole sections of the sports shops are dominated by EPL shirts, in particular Liverpool, who are massively popular over here.

When Celtic played Man Utd this week I was in a bar and when Celtic scored only one person cheered. And that was a Scot, whom I discovered had lumped on Celtic to win at 9/2. and was not actually a Celtic supporter. Most people in this part of Ireland don't really care about Celtic. The Irish guys I work with who are keen on football - one supports Liverpool, the other actually supports Spurs. To Irish football fans, the SPL means absolutely nothing. Registers on the scale as about the same level as the Eircom Premier does to us.

The other interesting thing is that really staunch Irish nationalists (older generation) will not even watch football. They will have been interested exclusively in Gaelic games (GAA). Football was seen as a "foreign" game, and in most GAA stadiums it is banned under what is known as Rule 42. It was only recently that Irish Rugby and football could play in the Croke Park GAA stadium in Dublin while Lansdowne Road is renovated. If I was some kind of rampant Scottish born Irish nationalist and really hated symbols of the British Imperialist regime I'd actually not go to Parkhead, I'd set up a Glasgow GAA club. I suppose that's just one luxury of the "political" Celtic fans' hypocrisy. They can choose which symbols of British imperialism are OK (association football) and those that are bad (Remembrance Day). Just like they can choose "good" murderers over "bad" murderers, I suppose.

Going back to Croke Park for a second. In 1920 Auxiliaries shot and killed 13 spectators and 1 player (Michael Hogan). That Croke Park was opened to Rugby and Football shows how far the Irish people and the GAA in particular have come. The first "foreign" game was even a rugby international against England. A very significant fixture and a sign of moving on, or "closure".

The warped section of the Celtic support are like dinosaurs. In the Republic, Celtic are seen as no more of an "Irish" team as the Boston Celtics' NBA team. In Northern Ireland of course, the wounds are still raw, and while "peace has broken out" in the aftermath of the Good Friday agreement, communities are still very much polarised, and the Old Firm still have massive enclaves of support on each side of the divide. But if the people of Northern Ireland can move on, isn't it time for Celtic to call foul on more extreme elements of their support? This is the 21st Century after all. I am not saying that Celtic abandon their Irish traditions (just as much as I don't suggest Rangers should necessarily abandon their own traditions). But for once, Celtic have an opportunity to distance themselves from this Scottish based sectarian loony element they attract. And as usual, they do nothing.

I've often heard the comment that if Celtic fans don't like it in Scotland, they should go and live in Ireland. Take it from me. They wouldn't like it over here either. It's way too civilised for their hatred. The locals have a sense of their history, and what that entails. But the events of 90 years ago do not consume their lives with hatred. Never mind the Sellick fans not liking it over here in Ireland. The locals wouldn't want them either.

Guest Dipped Flake

I recently took up an assignement in Ireland. And on occasion I have trooped out of the hotel to local hostelries to watch midweek football matches (including Man Utd - Celtic).

First off I have been really surprised at the lack of "Sellick taps" on view. Apart from one teenage shell-suited ned one lunchtime, I haven't seen any. True in the sports shops round here the only Scottish top you'll see on sale is Celtic. But they are consigned to the general rack, in amongst Real Madrid, Milan, Blackburn Rovers, and so on. Whole sections of the sports shops are dominated by EPL shirts, in particular Liverpool, who are massively popular over here.

When Celtic played Man Utd this week I was in a bar and when Celtic scored only one person cheered. And that was a Scot, whom I discovered had lumped on Celtic to win at 9/2. and was not actually a Celtic supporter. Most people in this part of Ireland don't really care about Celtic. The Irish guys I work with who are keen on football - one supports Liverpool, the other actually supports Spurs. To Irish football fans, the SPL means absolutely nothing. Registers on the scale as about the same level as the Eircom Premier does to us.

The other interesting thing is that really staunch Irish nationalists (older generation) will not even watch football. They will have been interested exclusively in Gaelic games (GAA). Football was seen as a "foreign" game, and in most GAA stadiums it is banned under what is known as Rule 42. It was only recently that Irish Rugby and football could play in the Croke Park GAA stadium in Dublin while Lansdowne Road is renovated. If I was some kind of rampant Scottish born Irish nationalist and really hated symbols of the British Imperialist regime I'd actually not go to Parkhead, I'd set up a Glasgow GAA club. I suppose that's just one luxury of the "political" Celtic fans' hypocrisy. They can choose which symbols of British imperialism are OK (association football) and those that are bad (Remembrance Day). Just like they can choose "good" murderers over "bad" murderers, I suppose.

Going back to Croke Park for a second. In 1920 Auxiliaries shot and killed 13 spectators and 1 player (Michael Hogan). That Croke Park was opened to Rugby and Football shows how far the Irish people and the GAA in particular have come. The first "foreign" game was even a rugby international against England. A very significant fixture and a sign of moving on, or "closure".

The warped section of the Celtic support are like dinosaurs. In the Republic, Celtic are seen as no more of an "Irish" team as the Boston Celtics' NBA team. In Northern Ireland of course, the wounds are still raw, and while "peace has broken out" in the aftermath of the Good Friday agreement, communities are still very much polarised, and the Old Firm still have massive enclaves of support on each side of the divide. But if the people of Northern Ireland can move on, isn't it time for Celtic to call foul on more extreme elements of their support? This is the 21st Century after all. I am not saying that Celtic abandon their Irish traditions (just as much as I don't suggest Rangers should necessarily abandon their own traditions). But for once, Celtic have an opportunity to distance themselves from this Scottish based sectarian loony element they attract. And as usual, they do nothing.

I've often heard the comment that if Celtic fans don't like it in Scotland, they should go and live in Ireland. Take it from me. They wouldn't like it over here either. It's way too civilised for their hatred. The locals have a sense of their history, and what that entails. But the events of 90 years ago do not consume their lives with hatred. Never mind the Sellick fans not liking it over here in Ireland. The locals wouldn't want them either.

Good post. Very true that the Irish have moved on from all this sectarian rubbish. Just our weegie fans that just can't bring themselves to do this.

spot on celtic are irelands shame

Guest S.U.S.S.
From what I've heard, it's only a tiny section of Celtic supporters engaging in this. Still pretty pathetic though.

Sounds like something the Celtic PR Machine would say!

1 is too many.

Spot on. With the bit in bold, England were Croke Park's second 'foreign' visitors (France defeated Ireland in a thriller a few weeks before) but the symbolic nature of England's visit did as you rightly suggest speak volumes on how far Irish attitudes to 'British sports' had come. I suppose England being absolutely trounced in said-fixture made it an even more memorable occasion (although some Irish rugby fans I know would have traded that win for one when they met for the Grandslam in 2003).

Top post, absolutely spot on!

I remember years ago being in Dublin and watching Shelbourne (at that time managed by wee Pat Byrne. Remember him?) play Panathinaikos. The Greek club wear green and have a shamrock as their symbol - some of the Shels boys near me spent 90 minutes urging their team to 'get into these Celtic barstewards'.

Made me laugh.Unfortunately the shels got pumped ...

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Whole sections of the sports shops are dominated by EPL shirts, in particular Liverpool, who are massively popular over here.

No doubt due to the 'special relationship' which exists between Liverpool and Sellik (or at least in the minds of ra Sellik)

Whilst I find their "protest" unsavoury and vile. This weekend shouldn't be about petty point scoring and "getting it right up them"

It's about respect for our fallen countrymen who died for our freedom.

I find your comments just as disgusting as the Celtic fans. Clown

If they want to act like children, they should be treated like childen. Plus, I know as well as you do that there's no chance of what I said happening.

But, if my comments offend you that much, I take it back.

Guest S.U.S.S.
If they want to act like children, they should be treated like childen. Plus, I know as well as you do that there's no chance of what I said happening.

But, if my comments offend you that much, I take it back.

Perhaps they should allow people to beat children just one day a year?

Apologies Boab but I deleted the long winded bit;)

Interesting to read your observations.

A couple of years ago I was in Cork for a family wedding. It was the weekend of St Pat's day and the Mhanks were playing the Huns in the League Cup Final. The pubs were heaving with Celtic Supporters. I suppose some had come over for the weekend, but most seemed local. There is a huge support for Liverpool (even more than for Man U I suspect), but that day they were out in there numbers for the Mhanks. Pity they lost:laugh: which despite my hatred for the Huns did make my day.

Good response - boabyarsebiscuit - as an Irish Hearts supporter (well with a soft spot for Hearts anyway - as opposed to a signed up hard core supporter) it is bewildering to me at times to read level of ignorance (from some) on here relating to Irish issues and Ireland in general. As a general comment it seems to me that the internet (particularly football sites) are a very poor forum really to make any progress on discussing issues relating to such matters, sectarianism etc etc and that it inevitably reduces to the lowest common denominator and that it is hard to get beyond 'old positions'. My take on it is pretty much as set out above - Ireland (like Scotland) is a great but flawed country that has many strands to it and the Shinners protesting would be on the margins and not representative.

Archived